PDA

View Full Version : A hunting story from a rancher/hunter/ bush resident's perspective.

gcreek
09-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Two older fellows have been driving the tires off their Suzuki for ten days now. Good guys, lower mainland residents, IMO a bit on the entitled list as far as where they think they should be able to go. That's my take, they've both worked for their retirement, what the hey.

The old boys finally connected today and one came by the house and asked my wife if she could bring our crew and "help" pack it out. The wife was raised here and lived on moose until her late teens. She knows how to look after what she has killed.

Anyway, the old boy that was the shooter apparently hadn't sighted in the blunderbuss before the trek began. A perfect, non-stinky yet, 4 year old, FAT, bull moose took 2 shots through both hips before getting a third in the neck that put him down. They then proceeded to gut him. Accidentally poking a couple holes in the "willows" and rolling the carcass around in that while they skinned it out.

You guys getting the picture yet?

My question is.... If you are going to treat a gift from nature in that fashion, why bother?

Anyway, the old girl and our three crew got a $200 thank you for their help. I guess everyone is happy tonight.

Big Lew
09-25-2017, 09:42 PM
At least they paid for your help, help that others might not have given, especially under the
circumstances you describe. I totally agree with you on 'treating a gift from nature in that fashion.'
If my dad or grandfather caught me shooting an animal in the rear quarters when I first started
hunting, they would have whipped my ass all over the place. Later on, I wouldn't be welcome in
their camp. I've seen people, usually newbies, get too excited and panic, throwing lead indiscriminately
toward an animal they think is getting away. I've also watched hunting shows filmed in the States
where the 'trophy hunter' shot their prize in the hindquarters because they had no other practical shot
and were only after the antlers. I have absolutely no respect for either, and if it was in my power,
they would lose their hunting privileges.

Buckmeister
09-25-2017, 09:45 PM
And those who don't know any different complain and wonder about how weird or "gamey" wild game tastes. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. A couple years ago I came across a father/son team retrieving a bull in a cut. They had quartered it, tied ropes to the pieces and were using the truck to drag the pieces to the road, passing the meat over dirt and right through a burned out burn pile full of ash. What really got me was that the son was a big strapping young man who could have easily hoisted a quarter on his shoulder.

Dad: How's your steak son?
Son: I think I just broke a tooth on a rock.

Cyrus
09-25-2017, 10:03 PM
some people should not hunt...how do you put two holes in the hips?

Gateholio
09-25-2017, 10:13 PM
A friend of mine hunts with his old uncle Andrew. He calls him "Ass Shot Andy" as his first shot into every animal ends up in the ass. :)

srthomas75
09-25-2017, 10:17 PM
gcreek; I like how you view the world. accurately

gcreek
09-25-2017, 10:18 PM

You aim towards the lungs twice I guess. Maybe it turned around for the coup de grace.

Jagermeister
09-25-2017, 11:25 PM
At least they paid for your help, help that others might not have given, especially under the
circumstances you describe. I totally agree with you on 'treating a gift from nature in that fashion.'
If my dad or grandfather caught me shooting an animal in the rear quarters when I first started
hunting, they would have whipped my ass all over the place. Later on, I wouldn't be welcome in
their camp. I've seen people, usually newbies, get too excited and panic, throwing lead indiscriminately
toward an animal they think is getting away. I've also watched hunting shows filmed in the States
where the 'trophy hunter' shot their prize in the hindquarters because they had no other practical shot
and were only after the antlers. I have absolutely no respect for either, and if it was in my power,
they would lose their hunting privileges.
I'm not going to be sanctimonious, (making a show of being morally superior to other people.) but there are those people that get an adrenaline rush that overpowers commonsense and good judgement regardless of being novice or seasoned hunter. And some are overpowered by the dressing process and are not cognizant of hygiene.

I used to hunt with this fellow that became overexcited and it never failed, see an animal and he just lose it. Over the years I would preach to him, "Bud, you shoot an animal, whatever you do, don't chase after it. The further you go in the bush, the harder the retrieval and the gamer the taste will be. Just plant your ass down, wait half an hour, then slowly follow the trail. He shouldn't be too far off."
For the most part, this strategy worked for him. However, one time it didn't.

We were hunting the last few days of the opening, mid-November over in 5-02, knee deep in snow. The day before we flushed 4 bulls out of some scrub spruce but they went too fast and it was also too far.

Next day we crept back into the same area and on the drive in I see a moose standing on the dog leg of the road. There is some about head high willows on road edge and all I can see if the upper half of a large bull. I come to a stop and say, "There's a moose." Bud is trying to slap his mag into his Remington 760 pump and it jams. Meanwhile, I step out and walk to the front of the truck, aim my Ruger No.1 and let it rip for the shoulder. I see horns as he rears up and then I see a moose galloping away. Bud is still fumbling with the mag as I tell him to get back in.

I slowly drive over and give Bud time to sort out the mag issue. We arrive at the vicinity of the moose soon departed and Bud is out of the truck like it is about to blow up. Before I can alight, I hear boom/schmuck and I know it's a hit. Bud hollers, "I got him." And just as I get the words out, "Waaiiittt!" he's off and running, downhill to boot.
I hear boom/schmuck............boom/schmuck again and then just more shots as the schmuck is too far away to hear.

I'm standing on a mound of dirt that gives a good vantage point and out of the corner of my right eye I see a big brown shape and I wheel around thinking grizz, but it's a prone bull moose. There's my moose.

Now this event is a little after 7 AM. I bring the truck up and lay a winch line on the rear legs and position him and the ditch edge head up and proceed to dress him out. By about 11:30 the job is complete and the halves are loaded into the truck box under the cover of the canopy. I clean myself off in the snow and move the truck about a 100 ft forward and have a coffee and lunch.

About 12:15 Bud shows up and proudly proclaims, "Well, I got my moose!" And I says, "So did I!" He gives me a puzzled look and says, "Where is it?" "Back of the truck." He scurries to the back to confirm and then hurries forward and proceeds to tell me where his is.

He emptied two mags (10 shots) and it was still breathing. He tells me where it is and wants me to help get it! I relent and off we go, down a skid trail for about half a click and then along another for about a click and a bit. I am not impressed and chew him out relentlessly.

The dam thing has about as many holes as a sieve. We gut it out and I tell him we only have enough light and time to drag the rear quarters out. "What about the fronts?" "You will have to get that tomorrow!" He has the day off, but I have to go to work. So we set off dragging the quarters, him breaking trail and I tell him there will be no smoke breaks. Back to the truck as darkness quickly sets in.

Mid afternoon next day, the phone rings at work and Bud is on the other end telling me he is home and he has the front quarters.

Now you would think that with that experience, Bud would just lay back a bit. Nah, the excitement spurns the adrenaline and it's off to the races. Some people are just like that. There's no getting away from that.

Bud and I have pulled a few moose down and this related experience was the worst by far.

The one thing I can say about Bud is that he was not a shirker and way more than willing to get the job done after the shot and I would not hesitate to hunt with him now. That's because we are a way lot older and he is a way lot slower so he can't gallop off after quarry like he used to.
It was nice of the missus and crew to provide help and it was nice that the help was appreciated with some compensation. Hats off to the missus.

Oh, Bud is not his real name.

Drillbit
09-26-2017, 01:07 AM
^not Bud the Spud then. Dang, thought I had him pegged!

boxhitch
09-26-2017, 06:01 AM
My question is.... If you are going to treat a gift from nature in that fashion, why bother?Not all hunters share the same view, or have the experience to get it all right.
Plus they felt entitled enough to come to a strangers house and ask for help?
Sometimes age comes alone.

chris
09-26-2017, 06:34 AM
Maybe it was there first moose hunt and realizing they were in over their heads they came to ask for help. Good on those guys for swallowing their pride and reaching out for help.

Big Lew
09-26-2017, 06:42 AM
. I've seen people, usually newbies, get too excited and panic, throwing lead indiscriminately
toward an animal they think is getting away

My statement wasn't meant to be sanctimonious at all...it's just an observation I've witnessed.
Some people just have a problem controlling their emotions under the heat of the moment.

gcreek
09-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Not all hunters share the same view, or have the experience to get it all right.
Plus they felt entitled enough to come to a strangers house and ask for help?
Sometimes age comes alone.

Then learn, youtube is full of instructional vidios. Second, sight your damn gun in and be familiar with shooting it. I am well aware of buck fever and this was not the case.

Just for general info, they aren't strangers. They are both really nice guys.

panhead
09-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Yabut ... did they get the last moose in the Chilcotin?

blackhawk19
09-26-2017, 07:51 AM
bad shots happen all the time , but not cleaning your game properly is inexcusable

huntcoop
09-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Good on your crew for going well out of their way and assisting.

rimfire
09-26-2017, 08:18 AM

By aiming in the wrong spot...

Fisher-Dude
09-26-2017, 08:31 AM
My wife's past experience as the manager of a butcher shop for a dozen years: dirtiest meat came in from the outfitters.

Doesn't matter if it's two old boys from the LML or professional hunters - some just don't know or don't care about what I agree is a definite gift from nature.

My butcher laughs and tells me he makes a lot of easy money from me because the meat I bring in is spotless and trimmed before he ever sees it. Doesn't matter how full his shop is, he ALWAYS has a hook for me when I'm lucky enough to get something.

I've seen him send people away with dirty or ripe animals because he doesn't want that bacteria-laden crap in his shop. That brings me back each year, knowing his standards and mine are the same.

b72471
09-26-2017, 08:42 AM
It all comes down to experience and training. I have hunted for more years than I care to admit a few of those as an assistant guide, most shooters American and European had little knowledge on how to tackle the job on a moose. After watching someone dress it out there's a very big smile on their face and a whole lot of pics.

bearvalley
09-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Here's a tip from an outfitter that doesn't like dirty meat.
Use the gutless method and cheesecloth.
Skin it and bag it before the quarters are removed and touch the ground.
I bet I can keep it as clean as Fisher-Dude.

Steve W
09-26-2017, 09:34 AM
My experience after viewing hundreds of wildlife carcasses is more people say one-shot clean kills are their norm than actually do it - especially moose. The worst I've seen is nine holes and 13 shots fired. Many times a errant round nobody will admit to in a moose carcass.

j270wsm
09-26-2017, 06:57 PM
My parents neighbour and his hunting partners were either the worst shots ever or got the worst cases of buck fever known to man. I don't know how many times that I seen them bring home an elk and it would have 4-7 holes in it. Shoot until it drops must have been their motto.

The worst elk i seen had 7 holes. First shot was in the base of the antler, second was in the one of the eye guards, 3rd -7th shots were spread out between the nose and the tail. Apparently the bull was 25yds away when the shooting started and finally dropped 400yds from the road. It was very common to hear them talk about 3-4 guys all firing at the elk

srupp
09-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Lol the moose I harvested last Oct. Think Oct 6th? was in a remote fly in lake..it had a very obvious bullet hole through the one antler..
How the heck can you miss a 1500 pound animal black in color and hit 14 inches above his head?

Yup they walk amongst us...lol
Srupp

markomoose
09-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Chief Joe ain't gonna be happy??LOL

f350ps
09-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Lol the moose I harvested last Oct. Think Oct 6th? was in a remote fly in lake..it had a very obvious bullet hole through the one antler..
How the heck can you miss a 1500 pound animal black in color and hit 14 inches above his head?

Yup they walk amongst us...lol
Srupp
Wow, asking a question like that really puzzles me, it almost sounds like you are maybe infallible, I guess your many years of guiding has slanted your view of us mortals! I've hunted a long long time and harvested my fair share of Moose and will be the first to raise my hand when asked who **ck$d up a shot! I put a bullet through both sides of a young Bulls antlers at about 275, spun it like a top and my partner thankfully dumped it on the next shot, that's how I know what happened! Seriously, I think you should really think about writing a book of your adventures, I honestly think with your 40+ years guiding hunters you'd have some great stories! K

srupp
09-26-2017, 09:43 PM
No...not worth the aggregation. ...
Srupp

Jagermeister
09-26-2017, 10:33 PM
^not Bud Flair then. Dang, thought I had him pegged!
That’s funny. I thought he moved away from there.