PDA

View Full Version : Hunting strategy -- First day of a LEH hunt

VFX_man
09-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

Situation:
1) Am heading up to the lower end of my Moose LEH MU, 4 days early on Oct. 28th [Nov 1st is the start of the LEH].
2) Those first 4 days are any Buck, so want to take advantage of that.
3) The area I want to Moose hunt is about 50km away from where I was thinking about Deer hunting.

Question(s):
1) Should I stay out of the area I want to moose hunt until the LEH opening day?
2) How spooked do moose get from people/vehicles?
3) Would setting up a base camp near the moose area comprise opportunities? [If went in and set-up on Oct. 31st].
4) Do moose stay close to a specific area? Did startle a Bull 3 weeks ago while passing through in the vehicle, and he's the one I want to target. We stayed in the vehicle and didn't push him and carried on up the road.

Thanks, VFX

monasheemountainman
09-25-2017, 04:24 PM
I would set up in your moose area and scout/hunt mule deer.

BigfishCanada
09-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Focus on the LEH period...(my opinion) Hope to see a deer by fluke, or tag out then go look for deer

HarryToolips
09-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Yup..............

walks with deer
09-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Vfx man find your moose...

Deer will come easy

Gateholio
09-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Moose has lots more meat than deer. Concentrate on that, completely. If you bump a deer at the same time, then it's a bonus. :)

VFX_man
09-25-2017, 11:05 PM

My concern would be pushing the moose out of the area. Especially if I shoot a deer near to him.

With me being in there 4 days before my LEH, just don't know if my hunting pressure would screw it up.

There are a few other LEH tags in this MU area as well, and really only one main FSR through it, so not sure what the other LEH holders might be doing either.

Thanks, VFX

Jagermeister
09-25-2017, 11:40 PM
You are hunting post rut and if the moose are plentiful, they'll be "yarded up". So there is a chance to spook them if you pop a deer in their midst. So how close would be a safe zone? Let's say you're some distance away, you probably can get away with it. Personally, I would hold off until the end of the LEH.

BigBanger
09-25-2017, 11:51 PM
In my opinion you should start looking for your moose 4 days early. Get a good idea of the area, where they are and the challenges that lay ahead. Good luck!

RackStar
09-26-2017, 12:38 AM
Your overthinking it
go to your spot, locate where some moose are, then harvest one.

You won't spook it away.
What if it takes you 4 days to find good sign?

boxhitch
09-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Being four days early for the leh can be both good and bad, so also have to weigh in your confidence in the deer hunt.
Spotting 'your' bull two or three days early may just cause too much angst for comfort.
If you are just grasping at straws for both hunts, then may be best to concentrate on one hand full only.

VFX_man
09-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Yep thats me . . . over complicator. Great to have you all as a sounding board!

I have 15 trail cameras in the area that I will pop in and re-check on in Mid-October. Really should try for the Mulie then, the LEH Moose should be my focus in November.

Thanks, VFX

walks with deer
09-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Muley where your headed.

If your not picky.. as you turnoff the highway at the gravel pit. Take your next main left followed by your next right once you pass the houses follow that fsr you hit.. lots of muleys at the bottom..
If you want head over that fsr until you hit your moose mu lots of muleys in there and i will most likely be chasing immys theyre at that time..text me if you need more than that..not going to put road names down..

walks with deer
09-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Not to mention november you will see whitetails daily where you are hunting moose.