PDA

View Full Version : 6-9 6-4, 7 day any bull season mid October

Leveraction
09-24-2017, 08:47 PM
I've not been west of Prince George.
anyone have any comments south and west of Houston for the 7 day any bull moose season in
6-9 & 6-4

MUCH THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED.
has anyone got thoughts on further north.?

S.W.A.T.
09-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Rugged and over populated with people under populated with moose

Whonnock Boy
09-24-2017, 09:04 PM
Rumors are, the moose population is not fairing too well in the bulkley valley. My personal experience over the last 8 or 9 years, and that of my father-in laws based on his decades of experience hunting all around there is, the rumors are holding water. That said, you can't win if you don't enter. Some people do quite well with immature bulls in the southern half of the province, but you have to find the honey holes of moose. Added bonus is, you're hunting both white tails and mulies down here. Up north, mulies close on the 19th of October, and I've yet to see a whitey in my travels. Good luck.

decker9
09-24-2017, 09:27 PM
I spent 5 days around 6-09 hunting my early draw, all I seen was a cow/calf, and no fresh sign. Iv spent my whole life here, years ago, moose came easy, these days, there's not much around. I usually get quite a few bulls throughout the summer on my moose cam, this year Iv only gotten one.

Numbers are definetly low, but a guy never knows unless he tries eh.

Best advice i can give for the gos, is get away from any road or quad trail, expect to cut trail or pack a moose out, chances of seeing one where there's any vehicle or off road vehicle access, is pretty slim.

A boat or canoe is a good way to hunt the gos.

604redneck
09-24-2017, 10:26 PM
I spent 5 days around 6-09 hunting my early draw, all I seen was a cow/calf, and no fresh sign. Iv spent my whole life here, years ago, moose came easy, these days, there's not much around. I usually get quite a few bulls throughout the summer on my moose cam, this year Iv only gotten one.

Best advice i can give for the gos, is get away from any road or quad trail, expect to cut trail or pack a moose out, chances of seeing one where there's any vehicle or off road vehicle access, is pretty slim.

What decker said

emerson
09-24-2017, 11:32 PM

I'm with Decker. My cousins have lived 40+ years in Houston. The one who hauls logs has seen 1 bull this fall at night in 6-08. I just spent 5 days on the Morice River. No moose, no sign. Did see 3 elk, though no season.

blackhawk19
09-25-2017, 08:14 AM
6-04 slim pickings for the last couple of years .lots of hunters

S.W.A.T.
09-25-2017, 08:22 AM
6-8,6-9,6-4 all the same story. Been here my entire life and see half as many animals as each prior year. Lots of bears and wolves though

Wild one
09-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Yup low numbers not talking just during hunting season or sightings talking year round lack of sign and sightings.

was once a fair to good area for moose hunting but last 5 years not so much. These days when we see a moose we call them unicorns or dinosaurs

40incher
09-25-2017, 02:06 PM
There's lots of moose out there ... just harder to hunt with all the wolves and bears hounding them.

Get away from the roads and hunt hard. Cold mornings are the key.

Wild one
09-25-2017, 03:29 PM
There's lots of moose out there ... just harder to hunt with all the wolves and bears hounding them.

Get away from the roads and hunt hard. Cold mornings are the key.

Lots I would not agree but yes some pockets and still a fraction of what was around 5 years ago. Wolves and bears are not the major issue and lots of pockets wolves moved out.

Cold mornings and away from the roads I do agree with 100%

S.W.A.T.
09-25-2017, 04:51 PM
I would say wolves have been a big issue. Use to see lots of healthy moose up McDonnell lake way, the would see lots of wolves, now you don't see much of anything. Once the food supply is gone yes the wolves move on

CheesyLimper
09-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I got the early draw in 6-9. Saw two youngish bulls with cows but couldn't connect on either. Last year, most wolf sign I've ever seen up here, a little less this year and I've actually seen a lot more moose sign this year than last. That being said, the early season was really busy with truck hunters so can't imagine what the open season will be like. Personally, I'll hunt the Oct bow season, then hang it up for the year.

Toadhunter
09-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Lakes during the GOS are, in my opinion, not the way to go. After the rut the moose head away from the lakes.
There are too many wolves, too many open roads, "over" harvesting in the past bit (lots of young forest out there that does not provide for thermal cover nor cover itself).

BCHoyt
09-26-2017, 03:29 PM
You will run into more Vancouver Island and Mainland hunters than locals... the moose population is on the decline.. Good luck

RackStar
09-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Far way to travel for a gong show

i live a short drive away and don't bother with it.

Go harvest a nice mule deer closer to home!

Caribou_lou
09-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Sure not as many moose as previous years. But I'd say there is still a good amount! I have 2 cams that are 5 kms apart and have been taking pics of 4 one the lower cam, and 3 one the higher cam all summer. All different bulls. There are lots of places out there just like this. No roads in and no fresh cuts. Get out there, walk and you'll stumble across one!

two-feet
09-26-2017, 09:19 PM
My home, i love it, there are moose hidden away, but holy shit there are lots of people hunting the GOS. I have heard rumors of it being shortened to 3 days next year, anybody else hear that?

Caribou_lou
09-26-2017, 10:47 PM
My home, i love it, there are moose hidden away, but holy shit there are lots of people hunting the GOS. I have heard rumors of it being shortened to 3 days next year, anybody else hear that?

3 days. Interesting. 20th to 22nd?

decker9
09-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Iv heard the same, a couple people from our local R&G were pushing for it.

Whonnock Boy
09-26-2017, 11:17 PM
If that's the case, might as well go full LEH, but let's not get the rumor mill spinning off its axis just yet.

Caribou_lou
09-27-2017, 07:12 AM
If that's the case, might as well go full LEH, but let's not get the rumor mill spinning off its axis just yet.

Full LEH... I'll pass on that. I rather be able to get out every year. Even if it is only 3 days. Once it's gone, we'd never get it back!

Wild one
09-27-2017, 08:41 AM

Wont solve a thing neither would archery only or shortening the season legal hunting not the issue but you already know that

problem is F all will be done to help the moose numbers. We may get a half @ss study that will only admit a portion of the issues and even the issues that did come up would not be addressed

Sad thing is people are focused on hunting opportunity over helping the moose population.

Machinist
09-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Just returned from 6-06 , Sept 10 to Sept 24 , LEH hunt , filled the Tag 3rd day out , seen 8 other shootable bulls , The Moose are there if you know where to look for them , Grouse were far and few between , brought home 5 Birds , have never seen it that devoid of Grouse , Despite all the Signs along HWY asking people not to shoot Cows of Calfs , we witnessed several groups of First nations shooting the cows and calf's I just can't understand how they are alowed to continue to do this , then I read some comments today in the Province Pg 17 ., Chief Joe Alphonse says there should be a Ban on ,moose hunting because of the wild fires , well maybe he should talk to his own about cows and calfs before he talks about a moose hunting ban .

HarryToolips
09-27-2017, 01:01 PM
^^^^once again, we know who is causing the real issues, but our govt. is too scared to do anything about it..

Wild one
09-27-2017, 01:24 PM
[

^^^^once again, we know who is causing the real issues, but our govt. is too scared to do anything about it..

Bad problem for the area equally as bad is the number of non Fn using a Fn to cover their poaching in the area.

Then add in those just poaching

boblly1
09-27-2017, 02:25 PM
maybe a few hunters may want help that population out buy silencing few of those predators? Bears make great pepproni and salami or even sausage you know. Wolves not so much but if there is a legal season why not help the moose and deer out?

boxhitch
09-27-2017, 02:37 PM
we witnessed several groups of First nations shooting the cows and calf's pics or it didn't happen )

Caribou_lou
09-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Sad thing is people are focused on hunting opportunity over helping the moose population.

Shortening the open season wont help the moose either... damn rights im focused on hunter opportunity!

Wild one
09-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Shortening the open season wont help the moose either... damn rights im focused on hunter opportunity!

Agree said it would not solve a thing

decker9
09-27-2017, 06:51 PM
[

Bad problem for the area equally as bad is the number of non Fn using a Fn to cover their poaching in the area.

Then add in those just poaching

This is very true

Wild one
09-27-2017, 06:58 PM
maybe a few hunters may want help that population out buy silencing few of those predators? Bears make great pepproni and salami or even sausage you know. Wolves not so much but if there is a legal season why not help the moose and deer out?

I bear hunt every spring even help others take bear each spring. 6 bears hit the ground with me so far this year. Will start trapping in Nov so will also target wolves

I do how about you?