PDA

View Full Version : hanging deer

newbie604
09-23-2017, 01:58 PM
question for everyone...

say you're hunting/camping for a few days (4) mid october and you were able to get a deer day 1 or, is it ok to leave hanging for a couple days or should it be butchered right away?

thanks from this rookie

Fella
09-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Depends on temps. Keep it cool and dry.

tinhorse
09-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Should be fine that time of year. Beverage daily high say 10 and low of 2 it will be fine. Keep it dry and out of any sunlight. Let it breath and don't wrap it in a tarp. Game bags are key that time of year as the flies will be looking to lay their last batches of eggs preparing for the winter.

newbie604
09-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Thank you guys

HarryToolips
09-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Should be fine that time of year. Beverage daily high say 10 and low of 2 it will be fine. Keep it dry and out of any sunlight. Let it breath and don't wrap it in a tarp. Game bags are key that time of year as the flies will be looking to lay their last batches of eggs preparing for the winter.
Exactly what he said....and keep it out of the reach of any preds and your well on your way..

Nimrod
09-23-2017, 06:47 PM
3rd that
Keep a watch out for the flies, if they're gone, which they should be by now, your golden. Flies are the scourge of all hunters, if they're around it's a serious battle. Game bags can help a little but always the seeping juices soaking through the cloth will be covered with eggs in no time. the standard anti fly remedies are necessary,strong vinegar, citric acid, or powdered white pepper ( my favorite) on the wet parts, or smoking is the only way.
For temperature, getting the body heat below 4 in the first 12 hours is critical, if it's stiff as a board it will be fine for a week even if the days get in the high teens or low 20's but the night need to go at least below 6 or 8.
I don't believe in taking the hid off unless its to warm to get it below 4 in the first day, the hide keeps the surface from oxidizing and is the best protective barrier.
you have a situation if you have it hanging stiff for days then you find it the night temperatures are not going down and the meat starts to really soften or the legs can be easily bent, it's critical you get it cut ASAFP.

chadr
09-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Game bags and pepper always seem to work well for me. I like to get the hide off ASAP for cooling. I also like to hang a bunch of sticky fly paper ( from the dollar store) around, seems to catch quite a bunch of them

blindcast
09-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Hang it until the stiffness goes out of the muscle tissue. Usually three/four days. If you butcher it right away, the rigor mortis will stay in the meat. That's why venison is often tough as shoe leather.

mpotzold
09-24-2017, 05:55 PM
question for everyone...

say you're hunting/camping for a few days (4) mid october and you were able to get a deer day 1 or, is it ok to leave hanging for a couple days or should it be butchered right away?

thanks from this rookie

Check the weather forecast for the approximate area. Max. 45 DegF (preferably less than 40) should be fine to hang your deer for a few days.

ClemShady
09-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Put a fan on it on steady low rpm, makes is hard for the flies to buzz around...

newbie604
09-25-2017, 08:24 AM
thanks again everyone. good tips in here. fingers crossed.

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2017, 08:34 AM
as others have said....a tarp roof over the meat pole to keep off sun and rain and bags on after the morning hunt bags off after the evening hunt if it is warm enough to see flies when the sun is at its peak....tie or tape tightly as flies will find even a small opening and get inside...I hate leaving fur on when hanging as it prevents the meat from drying to my satisfaction...

elch jager
09-25-2017, 08:48 AM
.... Beverage daily high say 10 and low of 2 it will be fine...

Personally I find 10 too many and 2 not enough...

my daily beverage high is about 4 while hunting... 1 for lunch, 1 for dinner and 2 before bed...

newbie604
09-25-2017, 02:19 PM
am I reading this right, you put game bag on in the morn then take it off at night time?

wideopenthrottle
09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
yes we only leave the game bags on for the heat of the day when flies will be of concern...otherwise open to the air