PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Domestic Dogs.

walks with deer
09-20-2017, 03:17 PM
First off I am a dog owner and dog owner. Like the dogs I had as a kid as a extra set of Eyes for my parents and a companion for my sister and I, Today I have the same. last year I lost my Family dog due to a tragic event and I was very upset. I have a new dog but it doesn`t replace her.

So every year we hear story`s of someone`s dog being shot that said in farm country or der chasers it is generally known it does and will happen.

Who hear has almost or have shot one in error.

I will start after a long drive to visit my dad and go deer hunting I showed up and he had family over I did not really feel like visiting so I drove another hour to my uncles house same thing.

I wanted to hunt not sit around a kitchen table so I headed a couple hours north for a big loop being in my early 20 very under prepared I had a lighter, a knife a sleeping bag and a 30-06.

as evening crept in I was in the middle of nowhere and came across a blue grouse ummnn dinner.

as the sun went down I decided to sleep under the stars with just a sleeping bag.

at about 2 in the morning I hear something running straight at me its very dark, I pull my 30-06 out from underneath me chamber a round and aim at the sleek creature running at me very quick.

as I took a bead and lead the ferocist beast like a duck flying straight on something wasn't quite right and I heard a metallic noise and the happiest greyhound I ever saw came up to me and licked my hand.

That night gram as I later named him cuddled with me and the next two days we shared gram crackers and grouse looking for his owner. Hence his name (gram)

when I got to the last kilometer of the fsr road I was sure gram was my new dog I saw a camp hidden in the corner when I stopped in and asked if they where missing a dog they said yes his name is grey and hes a greyhound I gave them there dog back we had a beer and a laugh and that's my close to shooting a dog

Travalanche
09-20-2017, 03:38 PM
I was set up watching a group of does for about an hour waiting for Mr. Buck to show up, my waiting paid off and he arrived. I decided he was a shooter and was chambering a round when the tails went up. I thought I spooked them but then out of nowhere come running two dogs, a retriever and a collie looking Heinz 57 type. I was about 1km from the nearest vehicle access and these two dogs came out of nowhere and chased off the deer.

They almost got shot.

I never did find anyone around who may have been with the dogs.

That's the closest I've come to shooting a dog(s).

rimfire
09-20-2017, 03:59 PM
My wife's cousin tells this story about his grandmother and the neighbor's "dogs", likely, it is embellished a bit but the story is plausible:

They lived in the Okanagan and had some goats, sheep and chickens. The neighbor's mutts kept coming over and harassing the livestock and the chickens. These neighbors, while nice people, had recently moved up from the city and didn't quite understand country respect and "protocol". Eventually, a couple of the sheep ended up with some bite marks. So, granny went over and warned them to keep their dogs locked up or on a leash or she would shoot them. They laughed it off. A few days go by. Same thing. Animals have bite marks, granny can see the dogs running in the field, then back to the neighbors property. So, granny went over again and warned the neighbors that if their dogs came on the property again, she would shoot them. This went on for about a week before granny got fed up.
You have to picture this. The nicest 60ish year old lady you'll meet, coming over again and again and warning you that she is going to shoot your dogs. They laughed it off. The last time she came over she let them know she was serious and this was their "last warning".
They blathered on about it being illegal and a few other things. A few days go by. The sheep are spooked again and running. Granny grabs her rifle, sees the dogs and fires a few shots from the barn towards the pasture at about 100 yards.

Needless to say, having lived in the country for a good few years, granny was a good shot. Both dogs down. The neighbors must have heard the shots and came out looking to see what happened. They called the RCMP. Police show up. Granny explains the situation. The RCMP explain the situation to the neighbors and educate the city folks about the legal rights of livestock owners to protect their livelihood. They were steaming. Yelling obscenities. Screeching that she was a murderer. Eventually, everyone settles down, the police leave and life goes back to normal...

Until...

A few weeks later...

The neighbors property went up for sale...

With a note about selling for "personal reasons".

quadrakid
09-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Friend of mine shot a dog he believed to be running deer,he witnessed it chasing deer. It got him in a bit of hot water. Don,t assume you are legal in shooting a dog chasing a deer.

KodiakHntr
09-20-2017, 04:37 PM
The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer. A CO can, but not just Joe Average.

Same dog running your horse around in your pasture? Perfectly legal to kill it on the spot.

Travalanche
09-20-2017, 04:53 PM
The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer. A CO can, but not just Joe Average.

Same dog running your horse around in your pasture? Perfectly legal to kill it on the spot.

I don't think I could shoot somebodies dog anyways. I felt like it when they ran those deer off but I figure I'll find another deer but the kids in the family who own those dogs don't deserve to lose there pets. I'd much rather slap the shit out of the owners for being dumb enough to let their dogs chase deer around especially during hunting season. It pissed me off at the time which is why I searched for somebody around who may be with the dogs but seemed like the dogs were just out on one hell of a good adventure.

DarekG
09-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Never shot one or got close to it, but I've definitely lost some chances on coyotes by being too cautious.
I would feel terrible if I shot someones dog.

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't think I could shoot somebodies dog anyways. I felt like it when they ran those deer off but I figure I'll find another deer but the kids in the family who own those dogs don't deserve to lose there pets. I'd much rather slap the shit out of the owners for being dumb enough to let their dogs chase deer around especially during hunting season. It pissed me off at the time which is why I searched for somebody around who may be with the dogs but seemed like the dogs were just out on one hell of a good adventure.

i would have trouble shooting solo wolves/coyotes worried that i might hurry a shot and end up misidentifying/shooting someones pet thinking it was a wild animal....i would be way more upset about dogs chasing deer in the middle of winter than during hunting season though....

Bugle M In
09-20-2017, 05:02 PM
I know of an owner who yearly would be up where we hunt in November, looking for their dog.
And they told us stories how quite often the dog would show up with a hind quarter (happened numerous times)
Dog was a large Bull mastiff cross.
I would tell them when I saw it etc to help.
But one year, they couldn't find it....????
I told them "you know, if some hunter (some, not all) may not like seeing that"
And, if the wrong hunter is out there, and sees that dog taking down or even chasing, it may be in troubles.
I know a hunter doesn't have a right...but....there are a few who will get mad, and not think it out, and...well...you know.
They didn't like that comment...!!??
I was being honest...trying to let them know, that they are putting their dog at risk.
This is not happening on private property, and I have chatted with the owners of this dog countless times over the years,
and, conversation always starts with them showing up, looking for their dog.
They know it's up to no good quite often, and they know it is all over the place up there, for weeks at a time.
Yet, they do nothing to stop it!!??
I am not saying that the dog was shot...who knows, maybe after my last statement to them, they smartened up???
Or....who knows....maybe they didn't come by to ask anymore...or...
Maybe they realized that it was best to keep this dog chained, if it can't be supervised???
In the end, these people loved their dog...but....wouldn't you take the time to make sure your dog is not at risk??

I have already told my story about the dog that "came out of nowhere, at full charge", on the other thread, so that's my experience with that situation.

firebird
09-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Shoot your own dog = legal
Shoot someone else's= trouble for you

Used to have some wild dogs running around and breeding do too delinquent owners. They are worse than any coyote for killing, they killed for sport. You'd get on their tracks and would look just like a coyote track, walk in a perfect straight line. They would run in packs 3 or 4 together and we're not scared of humans.

Pioneerman
09-20-2017, 05:34 PM
20 years ago I was out hunting, seen a few doe and a small buck, but lots of wolf sign. I was heading down the mountain and the old road I was on I passed a ragged old motor home heading in maybe 30 min earlier. I was at a good spot and stopped to have a coffee and watch the side hill and about 400 yards down the road this bid wolf comes running onto the road and straight towards me, and darting from side to side on the road smelling I assume. I got out and set up against a stump looking at the wolf in my scope, and I kept thinking I should shoot, but also kept thinking if it is going to keep coming my way then let it get closer. I waited what seemed like forever, and it was big and dark with grey marks on head. Then it saw me or my truck and came running full speed , then I figured this is not right, and turns out it was a husky Shepard cross dog, and he was dog tired too. I wondered if it was the folks from the motor home, so loaded dog into back of truck and sure enough they stopped a few miles back to get out and check branch road sign covered by brush and the dog must have jumped out the open door and they did not see, and carried on. They got their dog back and I just about had a unique mount on my wall .

j270wsm
09-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Shoot your own dog = legal
Shoot someone else's= trouble for you

Used to have some wild dogs running around and breeding do too delinquent owners. They are worse than any coyote for killing, they killed for sport. You'd get on their tracks and would look just like a coyote track, walk in a perfect straight line. They would run in packs 3 or 4 together and we're not scared of humans.

it is illegal to shoot your own dog or put someone else's dog down for them.......been through this once

Drillbit
09-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Oh man, there seems to be only 2 opinions on dogs to me.

In farm/ranch country, it's not unusual to have ones dog wander off and not come back, and also not unusual to shoot dogs you don't recognize in with the livestock.
They are free, they are tools, and if they are no good, there's always another to try out.

On the other hand, there are city peoples dogs. More important than humans. They are very expensive. And they are ****ing useless. And if one dies it's all over facebook and there's a gofund me page.

I've had some awesome dogs, but they are very few and very far between.

walks with deer
09-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Drillbitt i agree in farm country they live or not

lip_ripper00
09-21-2017, 01:03 AM
This is something that has haunted me for years, I lived in the city, Burns Bog to be exact early 80's on Huston Rd. We leased 50 acres and ran it as a farm, horses as a main stay. Hunter/jumper. We where right beside the Delta pound. Dumbass people would drop off their dogs "close" to the pound because the didn't have the guts to actually drop the animals at the pound, so what's going to happen? My chicken coop was open game. Shot more than me one stray ripping my n to my chicken coop. The absolute worse encounter, we had bred a top line throughbred mare to a Hanavarian stud warm blood, hoping to breed a new champion. 9 months go by and we have a beautiful filly at foot. When she was 10 days old we turn her and mom out in the paddock off 80th. I'm not in the barn mucking stalls when I hear the mare screaming, I go out and their is a dog chasing a 10 day old filly around the paddock. In to the house grabbed a shotgun and went down the road to the paddock. Their is a couple leaning on my gate watching their dog chase my 10 day trip old filly thinking it's cute. They saw me with shotgun in hand and asked what I was hunting? "That dog that is running a 10 day old foal" you can't do that, I told them to call the dog back now! By this time mare and foal are very stressed. I gave them 3 loops of their dog chasing my filly around the paddock to call him back, he wouldn't listen 4 time around dirt nap. They where pissed, I was charged but in the end I was doing what I was as legally allowed to do. Sunbury Gun was just down the road run by a great gentleman Bill Johnson, some shanangins........ but that's another story.

btridge
09-21-2017, 11:06 AM
it is illegal to shoot your own dog or put someone else's dog down for them.......been through this once

Not nearly as black and white as this statement. There are many reasons to shoot a dog, your own or someone elses , that are legal.
My sister lost a $25,000 horse because of a dog out "harmlessly" playing with the horses. The dog owner was shocked to find out that she was responsible for the $25,000.
Same dog owner soon let her dog roam again after this incident, it again was out chasing the horses, dog was shot, she tried to make a stink about it but the RCMP said killing the dog was the horse owners right.

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Not nearly as black and white as this statement. There are many reasons to shoot a dog, your own or someone elses , that are legal.
My sister lost a $25,000 horse because of a dog out "harmlessly" playing with the horses. The dog owner was shocked to find out that she was responsible for the $25,000.
Same dog owner soon let her dog roam again after this incident, it again was out chasing the horses, dog was shot, she tried to make a stink about it but the RCMP said killing the dog was the horse owners right.
that is the exception...under right to farm legislation if you are the farmer you have the right to shoot dogs harassing your animals ...joe average, not so much

rimfire
09-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Oh man, there seems to be only 2 opinions on dogs to me.

In farm/ranch country, it's not unusual to have ones dog wander off and not come back, and also not unusual to shoot dogs you don't recognize in with the livestock.
They are free, they are tools, and if they are no good, there's always another to try out.

On the other hand, there are city peoples dogs. More important than humans. They are very expensive. And they are ****ing useless. And if one dies it's all over facebook and there's a gofund me page.

I've had some awesome dogs, but they are very few and very far between.

The city/country (urban/rural) divide is a huge part of many of our issues. I think we need a de-urbanization to move people closer to their food sources and the environment. I'd much rather see 50 towns of 25,000 separated by 20 miles of trees, fields and prairies rather than one large city of 1.25 Million that is devoid of nature and has no connection to their food.

skibum
09-21-2017, 12:32 PM
There is a difference between shooting a dog:

1) chasing livestock (shoot after a warning to owner unless in act of killing -- understand if no warning is given)
2) chasing city deer (praise dog)
3) chasing game in the bush (muddy)

The chasing game in the bush, well if there are wolves around, the dogs will be dead soon. If not, the cost (shooting dogs) to benefits (saving deer) seems pretty weighed pretty high on the cost side. Unless it is a problem dog, how many deer is that dog really killing.

303savage
09-21-2017, 12:51 PM
The average individual can't shoot a dog running deer

Yes you can, just got to get the lead right.

300rum700
09-21-2017, 01:55 PM

4-6' seems to be just right.

rimfire
09-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Dark Humour...

What is the first thing a man feels after shooting a dog?

Recoil of his rifle.

firebird
09-21-2017, 03:34 PM
You can 100% legally shoot your own dog, cat, chicken, horse, cow, goat,llama etc as long as you own it. Or I guess shoot the owners animal if you have permission.

And for whatever reason you want if your the owner

i guess the issue would be if you did it with a shovel you could get cruelty charges. That's the laws in place, they pertain to how.

The animal is nit supposed to suffer and death be instantaneous.

And pretaining to animals at large you can find the guide lines set by BC livestock, outlines it

Dannybuoy
09-21-2017, 06:38 PM
You can 100% legally shoot your own dog, cat, chicken, horse, cow, goat,llama etc as long as you own it. Or I guess shoot the owners animal if you have permission.

i guess the issue would be if you did it with a shovel you could get cruelty charges. That's the laws in place, they pertain to how.

And pretaining to animals at large you can find the guide lines set by BC livestock, outlines it
I thought I read where you are no longer allowed to euthanize your own dog thanks to the spca and the other bleeding hearts ... isn't this where SSS is relevant??

Ourea
09-21-2017, 06:46 PM
My wife's cousin tells this story about his grandmother and the neighbor's "dogs", likely, it is embellished a bit but the story is plausible:

They lived in the Okanagan and had some goats, sheep and chickens. The neighbor's mutts kept coming over and harassing the livestock and the chickens. These neighbors, while nice people, had recently moved up from the city and didn't quite understand country respect and "protocol". Eventually, a couple of the sheep ended up with some bite marks. So, granny went over and warned them to keep their dogs locked up or on a leash or she would shoot them. They laughed it off. A few days go by. Same thing. Animals have bite marks, granny can see the dogs running in the field, then back to the neighbors property. So, granny went over again and warned the neighbors that if their dogs came on the property again, she would shoot them. This went on for about a week before granny got fed up.
You have to picture this. The nicest 60ish year old lady you'll meet, coming over again and again and warning you that she is going to shoot your dogs. They laughed it off. The last time she came over she let them know she was serious and this was their "last warning".
They blathered on about it being illegal and a few other things. A few days go by. The sheep are spooked again and running. Granny grabs her rifle, sees the dogs and fires a few shots from the barn towards the pasture at about 100 yards.

Needless to say, having lived in the country for a good few years, granny was a good shot. Both dogs down. The neighbors must have heard the shots and came out looking to see what happened. They called the RCMP. Police show up. Granny explains the situation. The RCMP explain the situation to the neighbors and educate the city folks about the legal rights of livestock owners to protect their livelihood. They were steaming. Yelling obscenities. Screeching that she was a murderer. Eventually, everyone settles down, the police leave and life goes back to normal...

Until...

A few weeks later...

The neighbors property went up for sale...

With a note about selling for "personal reasons".

Raincoast folks?

walks with deer
09-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Driving home tonight i saw a pack of white wolves exactly where this small split 4 point muley has been all summer..
The 3 white beasts over 80 lbs pounds each where face covered in blood feasting on the 4 points remains..
I pulled the scope caps off pulled a u turn its go time.shells in my left hand i pulled in classicly i am cautous but it looked like 3 white wolves..
I will glady report the neighbours 3 guardian dogs have a belly full of deer meat. And went home and hopefully shit on there porch.

j270wsm
09-21-2017, 08:51 PM

somewhere close to 10yrs ago my best friends asked me to put his dog down. The dog was very old and had gotten to the point it was dying. I did what I was asked and put his dog down. Some crazy woman from town was out in the bush and heard the shot and came to investigate.......in the end the cops didn't press charges because of my friend and his father. During my conversations with the officer, I was told that it is illegal to put down your dog or someone else's.

Surrey Boy
09-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Why aren't stray dogs and cats on Schedule B? They're non-native, and prone to damaging property. Far less vital to the ecosystem than raccoons.

300rum700
09-21-2017, 09:26 PM
somewhere close to 10yrs ago my best friends asked me to put his dog down. The dog was very old and had gotten to the point it was dying. I did what I was asked and put his dog down. Some crazy woman from town was out in the bush and heard the shot and came to investigate.......in the end the cops didn't press charges because of my friend and his father. During my conversations with the officer, I was told that it is illegal to put down your dog or someone else's.

Strange as it may sound, cops aren't always up to date on actual law.

barry1974w
09-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Driving home tonight i saw a pack of white wolves exactly where this small split 4 point muley has been all summer..
The 3 white beasts over 80 lbs pounds each where face covered in blood feasting on the 4 points remains..
I pulled the scope caps off pulled a u turn its go time.shells in my left hand i pulled in classicly i am cautous but it looked like 3 white wolves..
I will glady report the neighbours 3 guardian dogs have a belly full of deer meat. And went home and hopefully shit on there porch.

those Great Pyrenees, kuvasz type guard dogs are terrible for running game and wandering. Elk hounds also. I've had to shoot a few dogs that were chasing sheep, cattle, killing the turkeys ect. I always feel bad about it, but people should keep their dogs at home. I've had some "interesting" conversations with the owners of some, but all of those were asked beforehand to keep their dogs off our place.

okas
09-21-2017, 09:45 PM
well grew up on a farm 06 buy the door buried lots of stray dogs and shoot my own as was accused of chasing sheep as digging a hole got a call about my dog thew it in the truck and went over and thew it on there front steps WRONG DOG :evil:

Drillbit
09-22-2017, 01:05 AM

CO's as well.

firebird
09-22-2017, 04:43 AM
CO's as well.

Ya the laws only pertain to how you put an animal down. Clearly you do it quietly and quickly and keep your mouth shut.

I'll see if I can find anything official but I think that's the problem, there's not really

labguy
09-22-2017, 05:26 AM
This thread bring up one very important point. People need to control their dogs and keep them confined (kenneled or chained) when not supervised.

A free range dog will eventually do something it is not supposed to because it's a dog.......dogs do what dogs do.

Problem dogs are not a dog problem.......they're a stupid, irresponsible people problem...nuff said.

Spokerider
09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
..........and another reverence.......
When we hunters have a weapon in hand, and we are in "hunting mode", and when our every nerve center is piqued to the max, not every twig breaking is from game, not every flash of movement is from our quarry, and not every dog is a wolf.

Remember, we share the outdoors with mushroom pickers, hikers, dog walkers, prospectors, and other enthusiasts, and they can all show up in the most unlikely places, at the most unlikely times.

406elcamino
09-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Had a situation last year in a local shotgun zone...

Was near dark and I was walking into one last place and I could hear a dog barking well It kept getting louder and louder until I step through some cedars to find a sheppard feet from a doe snapping away. It was very hard to not "deal" with that dog but I ran him off the doe on the other hand face was tore up really badly I got close enough that it allowed me to touch it she ended up sauntering away. Just before I got back out to the truck I ran into the owner of this dog with the dog at his side and I had told him what the dog was doing, the owner simply replied saying that he always lets his dog(s) run the local game.

I will be back there this year and I will make sure to find out where he lives and give the local C.O. a call

LBM
09-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Nor are many hunters.

Surrey Boy
09-22-2017, 08:45 AM
Nor are many hunters.

The trick is to surround oneself with people of greater guilt, thereby being a very low priority of law enforcement.

Dannybuoy
09-22-2017, 11:46 AM
The trick is to surround oneself with people of greater guilt, thereby being a very low priority of law enforcement.
OR old school rednecks .... git er done !

drbb
09-23-2017, 12:06 AM

This is wisdom...

abbyfireguy
09-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Shot one dog on my farm back in the day in Port Kells. Did everything right,used a shotgun .
As I was in Surrey , no high powered rifles allowed.
Under the Domestic Livestock Act I was well within my rights as the dog was chasing and biting one of my pregnant Simmental cows.
Small wounds were visible and neighbour had no problem(he hated the dog anyways).
I had more trouble with the RCMP member that showed up.
He was a city slicker who had never had cow shit on his boots before.
Fortunately his corporal showed up who grew up on a dairy in Cloverdale.
All was good and my cows went back to peacefully living their lives.

BigfishCanada
09-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Had my scope on a husky at 200 yards thinking is that a Fricking wolf????? Taking time, saftey even off...is it???? Put the rifle down and walked towards it when i heard a chain saw...yelled at the guy saying i almost shot your dog man, put a vest on that thing. I was shooken up and I didnt even shoot...but close

Chopper
09-25-2017, 09:43 PM
yeah ... i shot some dogs ...