PDA

View Full Version : Video: 2017 - Jet Boat Elk Hunt on the Muskwa

Grasp
09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Here's the first video of my hunt up the Muskwa this year with my old man. Had a helluva trip. The second part will be up in a few days. Good luck to everyone this fall!

https://youtu.be/XPTDJEl527A

Rhyno
09-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Some great videos being put together this year. I like your perspective change on enjoying the process, being in that area is pretty special on its own, but I understand the time and money that goes into a trip like that, hard not to hope for finding the animals you are after.

Look forward to part 2.

talver
09-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Awesome video can’t wait to see the next one good work bud

chaser10
09-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Awesome Video! Can't wait for the next one.

nature girl
09-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Really enjoying your video so far.
The funny thing is sometimes we all get down if we don't see any animals or shoot a animal.
But then a couple months down the road and you are at work and you would do anything to be out in the mountains again.

quadrakid
09-19-2017, 08:33 PM
My wife thought i was listening to a yoga video! Just kidding. I love your video. Its nice to see how you share what it feels like at times on a hunt. Whether you get an animal or not, i know i will enjoy part two.

kendoo
09-19-2017, 08:42 PM
were you the fellows that watched 4 wolves ( 1 white one ) tear down a cow elk ?
Really enjoying your video so far.
The funny thing is sometimes we all get down if we don't see any animals or shoot a animal.
But then a couple months down the road and you are at work and you would do anything to be out in the mountains again.

kennyj
09-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Awesome! Can't wait for part 2.
kenny

Grasp
09-19-2017, 10:13 PM
were you the fellows that watched 4 wolves ( 1 white one ) tear down a cow elk ?

Yep. I was less than 100m away from the cow when she broke out of the willows with the white wolf hanging on her hind quarter. It was crazy. She sprinted about 200m to the bank of the Muskwa and leaped in. Midair the wolf let go. For some reason, that white wolf hated the water. The other ones didn't give a shit. When the cow hit the river it instantly turned red with blood. It was straight out of Nat Geo. She waited the wolves out most of the night but we're pretty sure we heard the wolves finish her off in the middle of the night. That phone skope footage I show in the video about 3 mins in is the cow that got attacked. That was the first and only time I ever left my camera gear at camp. Did you hear about it somewhere?

Rhyno
09-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Yep. I was less than 100m away from the cow when she broke out of the willows with the white wolf hanging on her hind quarter. It was crazy. She sprinted about 200m to the bank of the Muskwa and leaped in. Midair the wolf let go. For some reason, that white wolf hated the water. The other ones didn't give a shit. When the cow hit the river it instantly turned red with blood. It was straight out of Nat Geo. She waited the wolves out most of the night but we're pretty sure we heard the wolves finish her off in the middle of the night. That phone skope footage I show in the video about 3 mins in is the cow that got attacked. That was the first and only time I ever left my camera gear at camp. Did you hear about it somewhere?

Did you lend a hand and drop any wolves?

jackthebear
09-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Grasp, thanks so much for that. I'm going through some health issues so my hunting season is a wash this year so I really appreciate you taking the time to post that. Hunting BC has been a great distraction for me. I have to laugh though cause near the end of the video when you stopped to take it all in, those exact words "Jesus f***##* chr***" came out of my mouth right before you said it! Cheers. Looking forward to episode two!

Husky7mm
09-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks for taking the time and effort to make that video and post it up. Thats Gods country right there! Hope we get to see you guys with a nice bull elk in the next one, a pack of dead wolves would be good too!

Grasp
09-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback! It's embarrassing to admit but I thought you needed a tag for wolves. Never hunted in an area where it was a concern before. I will definitely not make that mistake next time. I'm gonna try to have part 2 up tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Grasp
09-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Part 2 is live https://youtu.be/Z1OamEbPfp8

Hope you all enjoy and good luck wherever you are this season!

twoSevenO
09-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Part 2 is live https://youtu.be/Z1OamEbPfp8

Hope you all enjoy and good luck wherever you are this season!

Great videos. Getting into remote spots seems like a great way to find the most game ... but the overwhelming vastness of the BC wilderness does not make it easy.

Unreal scenery and im sure overall experience

pg83
09-25-2017, 04:58 PM
Nice vids Grasp. Was not far from you up there in late August. I miss it already.

DarekG
09-25-2017, 06:42 PM
This is a great video, I really mean that.

High production quality, I'm surprised you don't have more subscribers on YouTube!

09-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Great Share, awesome video. Takes me back to my days in those areas. Incredible places!

Cyrus
09-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Great videos..great scenery! Too warm?

Mitchellfried
09-25-2017, 07:20 PM
I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the video. It was great

Nimrod
09-25-2017, 07:31 PM
cool edit, really enjoyed that.

monasheemountainman
09-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Cool vids. Out of curiosity did you try calling at all?

S.W.A.T.
09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Awesome vids, spent lots of time up there and it is some beautiful country.

kendoo
09-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Hey Grasp I think I was camped about 8 km down river from you. Doug stopped to see if I needed any thing from town as he was coming back up the next day. I ordered a 40 pounder Gibsons (medicinal purposes) A thrill jumping that log jam eh. Don't feel bad about no elk I've been up there 32 years in a row & first time we ever got skunked. most years 3- 4 elk in boat going down not any more. Way to many wolves we heard them on both sides of river at same time every nite. There is a reason Tompkins & Omstead don't hunt that area any more. I will be moving to a different area as well. We have hunted the area you were in many times & pretty much always a harvest but not any more. maybe in about 10 years when the wolves starve out the ungulats will come back. Very much enjoyed the video

Brew
09-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us. Very well done. Thanks also for reminding us to live in the moment when we are out there. I know I get caught up in quest for the animal and I don't take time to relax and just enjoy my time to the fullest.

Ride Red
09-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Grasp, very well done indeed. Great to see you and your dad out doing what you love. Great video and beautiful scenery, but most of all, great attitude.

Whonnock Boy
09-25-2017, 09:12 PM
That was great. Thanks so much for sharing.

whitlers
09-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Just finished part 1 and 2. Great videos. I like how you edited them! Look forward to more.

twoSevenO
09-25-2017, 10:55 PM
This is a great video, I really mean that.

High production quality, I'm surprised you don't have more subscribers on YouTube!

I subscribed. Hope others do too. Youre totally right. That kind of quality video with good editing and great narration would have like 100k subs if he was American :(

grizzly550
09-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Good job bud, thanks for sharing.

Grasp
09-26-2017, 06:39 AM
First of all guys I just want to sincerely thank each of you for not only taking the time to watch but to comment on here as well. I'm getting 10x more interaction on this forum than on any of the other hunting ones I am on. That's why I love my home. Good people who support their community. I'm off to Wyoming on Saturday for Elk and am more excited than ever to make some great content for you guys!

@DarekG - I only started the channel this year so hopefully, my subscribers grow. If not that's ok, when I started it I decided this was a labour of love and I just wanted to put out good content that showed hunting in the light that I thought it deserved to be.

@Cyrus - Yeah apparently the first frost really helps kicks off the rut from what I was told and it was like 20* every day.

@monasheemountainman - Yeah I tried calling quite a bit. Bugles, cow calls, all of it. I heard one bugle the very first night and another one very early the next morning. That was also the coldest night we had. After that, it was dead quiet.

@kendoo - Yeah man I remember stopping! I almost jumped out of the boat and swam over so I could stay with you guys and keep hunting LOL. I never wanted to hunt so bad in my life as I did on the jetboat ride out. I try and explain to people that sometimes a failure like this is the best thing that can happen. Nothing fires me up more. I'm heading to Wyoming with a vengeance haha. Thanks for sharing your experience that definitely eases the pain.

Thaks again guys for all the comments and subscriptions they definitely help motivate!

Argus
10-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Misery loves company: I just returned from a 10-day hunt on the Muskwa and ran into the same problem locating elk. They were bugling pretty good the first few days, and I managed to cow call a bull in about 100 yards away on Day 5 (saw him, but couldn't count points because of brush). Wolves moved in the following day, along with five days of hot, sunny and windy weather, and the elk clammed up.

Still, beautiful country to explore, as your videos show.

264mag
10-02-2017, 11:21 AM
The Tuchodi was very slow this year as well. We found over a dozen elk kills from winter right on the river banks in a 1 km stretch. The wolves have been nasty. One bugle from Sept 17 to 23 and 120 kms on our boots. Tough hunting.

moosinaround
10-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Your introspective on why you hunt, is one that most hunters will think of when they are out there. The appreciation of an animal when it is harvested, cannot be understood by people, until they have experienced it. With so many people so unattached at where their food comes from, they do not appreciate why a person could be a hunter!
The vastness of our great province is one of the wonders that hits me every time I am out there in the wilderness. One feels very small when amongst the mountains. Your vids were edited well, and I liked the honesty of your narration, and the make no excuses attitude you had. In the big scheme of things, the time away from your loved ones back home, is offset by the one on one time spent with yourself, and your father, memories are as important as food in the freezer.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I have felt your same emotions. I look forward for more vids in the future. Good hunting to you the rest of this season. Moosin

pnbrock
10-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Unbelievable video I could not stop watching and couldn't get to part 2 fast enough as pt 1 ended. Keep video logs of all your adventures coming. Thx