PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting Moose

Sideofabarn
08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
So kids, I'm off to fling sticks at moose in a few weeks' time. I am wondering whether I should stick with a 100gn head, or should I up the weight to 125? I shoot an APA Black Mamba, set at about 60lbs, and use 4560 carbon shafts. Any thoughts?

Brambles
08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Whats the weight of the complete arrow with the 100gr heads?

I wouldn't shoot an IBO arrow at a moose but something heavier would work.

Wild Will
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I have killed a few moose with 100 grain Thunderheads on 2216 aluminum arrows. My poorest shot was a tad high, but it still severed the spinal cord after going through a vertebra. I was using a 70 pound compound. The others were lung shot, but not double lunged. They are big animals, and it takes awhile for them to bleed out, so give it lots of time after the hit before trying to follow the blood trail. I guided a bowhunter who double lunged one, and it still took several minutes to go down. If the rut is on, keep calling after the hit, and it will likely stand around until it drops.

Bow Walker
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
As long as your KE is sufficient you should be fine with 100 gr. heads.

Remember the 'Man Law'...............we will require pictures with the tall tale.

greybark
08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
:-DHey Sideof, You will have no problem with that combo . One small concern would be the difficulty in getting a carbon arrow with the right spine . Most carbons are rated on the high side (ex 55-70 Patriots rate out at 90Lb and other s at 80Lb). This results in a noisy shot . By inserting a 100gr brass insert and 100 or 125 gr broadheads I get great flight and most important a quiet launch .
:-DNot ment to nit pick , Good luck on your moose hunt .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Wildfoot
08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
:-DHey Sideof, You will have no problem with that combo . One small concern would be the difficulty in getting a carbon arrow with the right spine . Most carbons are rated on the high side (ex 55-70 Patriots rate out at 90Lb and other s at 80Lb). This results in a noisy shot . By inserting a 100gr brass insert and 100 or 125 gr broadheads I get great flight and most important a quiet launch .
:-DNot ment to nit pick , Good luck on your moose hunt .

so you are saying an overspined arrow is noiser than a correctly spined one.. but adding more weight to an arrow will make it quieter? I think an overspined arrow would be quieter because it has a higher g/in which should slow down the arrow a bit and make less twang.??

Wild Will
08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Are you going to be hunting during the rut? Is the hunt in northern BC or in the south? I have found that bulls come to cow calls easily just before the cows start to come in heat. After that it is a little tougher. In the north, Sept 15 to 20 is in the early time period in my experience. Good luck with them. It can be very exciting.

Sideofabarn
08-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey guys,
I really don't know the correct weight of the arrow with the head, as I don't own a reliable scale. The hunt will be in the North of BC. My first moose hunt, it should be a gas. And rest assured, If I get anything other than a cold, there will be pics.

Eagle1
08-04-2007, 12:00 AM
So kids, I'm off to fling sticks at moose in a few weeks' time. I am wondering whether I should stick with a 100gn head, or should I up the weight to 125? I shoot an APA Black Mamba, set at about 60lbs, and use 4560 carbon shafts. Any thoughts?

If your already shooting 100g heads with good arrow flight, going to 125g will weaken the spine and affect arrow flight. A true flying arrow will be much better than a little heavier one that don't fly well { loss of KE } Most 100g heads are the same cutting dia as 125g heads. your arrows should weight in around 375 to 410 { 100g head } your set - up should be more than enough KE to drop a moose, broadside or 1/4 ing away only.2 most important things, shot placement and sharp broadheads.
I'd shoot moose any day with your set - up, I only shoot 60 lbs and 100g heads, 398g arrow, 300 fps around 70 KE, plenty punch.
You can get carbons in any spine you want, a little stiffer spine is better for good flight for broadheads.
Heavier arrows are quieter than lite arrows, heavier ones absorb more string noise.

Sideofabarn
08-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks Eagle1. A question then about broadhead choice. I have some 100g Montecs and 100g slick tricks to try. Would you use either of these or go with something different again? By the way, are you the guy who runs the little store attached (sorta) to a house opposite the school in Cobble Hill/Cowichan Bay?

The Hermit
08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I bought both and inspected them closely... I have chosen to go with the Montec G5 for big game because they are true cut-on-contact broadheads and are strong and tough.

The SlickTricks have a fieldpoint style tip with two replaceable interlocking blades yeilding a four blade set-up. I highly doubt they would be as strong as the Montec G5.

greybark
08-04-2007, 11:04 AM
so you are saying an overspined arrow is noiser than a correctly spined one.. but adding more weight to an arrow will make it quieter? I think an overspined arrow would be quieter because it has a higher g/in which should slow down the arrow a bit and make less twang.??

Hey Wildfoot, You are right in assuming a heavier arrow is quieter . I was referring to the heavy spine ratings of carbon arrows and their tendancy to slap the riser of a Trad bow or cause excessive side pressure on the arrow rest cushion plunger in the case of a fingershot compound bow (lack of archers paradox). Sorry for the confusion .
I think the Gr difference in carbon arrows (one spine to another) is minimal and any dampenimg of noise is minimal .
Once again I apoligize for the confusion . Cheers