PDA

View Full Version : Leh Help ! 4-24 any bull moose

dmace
09-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Well as luck would have it my boys and I got a shared hunt in 4-24 for bull moose . My brother and I have hunted the area a fair bit and know the north eastern portion of the region pretty well . We've had some success with moose {bow season} , elk and goats in the past years . Our plan this year was to go first week of October for the bow season of moose as this is when we have seen the largest concentrations of moose in the area . So the dilemma , obviously this area has been hammered by a large forest fire , from the internet it looks like the area we know ,whiteswan , grave , thunder etc have been burnt , it appears a very large portion of 4-24 was on fire {and still is } So at this point most of this area is still closed , so our new plan is to go first week of November . My questions are , does anyone know how bad that area burned ? We have never been up there in November , will there still be some moose around ? { I know they are in decline here too but do they move right out of the area } Mulies ??? I know tough one again but will some pre rutting bucks cruise through that fresh burn ?
Coming from the Island Its a big expense if this is a waste of time . Really looking for some honest opinions from you local vets . Also have to hope there is some opportunity for the boys to have a crack at some thing . They are 16 and 18 so can put up with slow hunting , but I would still like to see some opportunities for them !
Thanks for looking !
Cheers
Dean

Amphibious
09-18-2017, 07:17 PM
not sure about the extent of the fire, but saw plenty of moose while goat hunting South/South-East of WhiteSwan lake. Inlet Creek had a few, and when we hiked down the Blackfoot (Closed to MV traffic during hunting season) we jumped more then a few.

dmace
09-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Thanks Amphibious !

cameron0518
09-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Can anyone help these guys out? There's only a couple months to get things figured out. The clock is ticking. Lots of pressure these days when you get a draw, no time to research areas anymore. It is great that we have keyboards now as it makes hunting way easier for everyone. I have never been in this region or I would nail it down for them.

ElkValleyJay
09-21-2017, 12:31 PM
PM sent. Good luck!

tenrag
09-21-2017, 02:00 PM
They just lifted the area restriction in the White River yesterday but there are still some FSR closed. Check this link http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2905
I have hunted around Whiteswan alot and I agree with the previous comments about Inlet Creek and Blackfoot. I would also suggest Moscow Creek which is right as you cross the bridge by the home basin campground. I have seen a ton of bull moose along this road and since I have never been lucky enough to get LEH I can only shot spike-fork. The far end of the road by Lemon is good. There are a couple nice camp spots by ptarmigan trail head (on Moscow rd).
I have also seen a far number of moose on the south spur roads at the far end of Palliser river rd (around 54km). Decent access with a vehicle to get off the main road and then boot pack it up the roads as they get rough.

dmace
09-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Love It !!! Thanks guy's , Watching closely to see if they open the whiteswan main lines . Does anyone know how bad the burn was ?? Trees crowned off at the tops ? Or burned so bad rocks were blowing up ? The website shows a pretty big footprint of the fire but there must be some green left in there , I hope ! I have given up on my hopes for a goat I think .
Thanks again all !
Cheers
Dean

tenrag
09-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Hey dmace, I have seen a number of goats around the 54km marker on the palliser. The road closure (due to fire restriction) prevents you from going further up the road but if you hang a left at the closure and go over the bridge (towards to outfitter cabin) there are typically goats on the rock wall in front of you. I have seen guys glassing from the corner on the main road before driving across the bridge.
I watched three nice goats on a ridge east of the schofield road. Currently this road is closed due to fire restriction but if it opens it is great moose/goat territory.

Jim Prawn
09-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the info Tenrag. (I'm Deans brother, taking my son Riley along for the trip as well) We're booked for Nov 4-12 to go! Super stoked now. Been google earthing the crap out of it, cant believe we never hunted that Moscow line all the years we were there! The goat draws are smaller areas; 4-24C, Grave creek specifically so even if it opens I doubt there will be much there since the fire apparently burned from North White right over the top into Grave cr. There's easy access from Nitta cr and Collin cr so we should probably take one tag and check it out just in case... What about camping spots? If we plan on focusing on Moscow and Inlet/Blackfoot rds, it looks like good camp spots on the west end of Moose lake? Either that or we'll set up on one of the spots on the lower North White, if its not too smokey! thanks again!
JP

LBM
09-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the info Tenrag. (I'm Deans brother, taking my son Riley along for the trip as well) We're booked for Nov 4-12 to go! Super stoked now. Been google earthing the crap out of it, cant believe we never hunted that Moscow line all the years we were there! The goat draws are smaller areas; 4-24C, Grave creek specifically so even if it opens I doubt there will be much there since the fire apparently burned from North White right over the top into Grave cr. There's easy access from Nitta cr and Collin cr so we should probably take one tag and check it out just in case... What about camping spots? If we plan on focusing on Moscow and Inlet/Blackfoot rds, it looks like good camp spots on the west end of Moose lake? Either that or we'll set up on one of the spots on the lower North White, if its not too smokey! thanks again!
JP
Camping spots at both ends of the swan as well. Can camp right at the sign in the black foot as well. If your hunting 4-24 moose be careful up the Palliser since its been mentioned for lots of it is 4-25 and people are hunting in the wrong MU for there tag. You could check out fenwick for both for it might include your goat draw as well. There was a fire in the end of Moscow near lemon creek as well this year there logging in there now as well but may be done by Nov not sure.

Jim Prawn
09-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up LBM, I did notice that Palliser was 4-25. Good pointer on Fenwick, we have never been up that part of the White River main and it is indeed within 4-24C. Thanks!
JP

LBM
09-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up LBM, I did notice that Palliser was 4-25. Good pointer on Fenwick, we have never been up that part of the White River main and it is indeed within 4-24C. Thanks!
JP

Fenwick has a road closer up it aways as well forgot to mention that.

tenrag
09-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Hey Jim Prawn, LBM is right in that there is a road closure up Fenwick but it is a ways back there. Not much goat territory and you are pretty high up the side of the valley when on the main Fenwick road.
There is a ton of camping by whiteswan. The home basin campground is open year round because we often stop by for a fire while ice fishing. The campsites on the west shore of moose lake will likely be closed by November as the attendant is not longer on duty. There is a road the branches to the south at the entrance to Moose Lake campground and it heads up towards Coyote, Ram Creek, Top of the World. There are campsites options available in this area and you can glass elk from your front door. The far end of the Coyote FSR has a road closure and there is often an outfitter spike camp setup. They are after Elk that graze through the previously burnt forest. I have seen moose along the far end of this road also.
I recall logging at the far end of Moscow because it now links back to the Kootenay Bypass road (about 10km west of Canal Flats). PS: the dry ribs at the Canal Flats grocery/gas station are a must for travelling back to camp.
I'm heading out for a short day hunt tomorrow so I dont think I will make it up to the whiteswan area this weekend but I'm sure I will pass through that area in the coming weeks.
There is some nice mulie hunting up the Coyote also.

dmace
09-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks Tenrag !! Dry ribs and a stop at the hot spring sounds like a must do ! We'll likely camp along the river somewhere . Thanks for your help !!