PDA

View Full Version : moose in manning park

trail blazer
09-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Saw a dead moose by the highway today in manning and wondering if there is a good population of them around there, I was kinda surprised to see one.

Blainer
09-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Low population, that kinda sucks

Lastcar
09-17-2017, 05:19 PM
They are there for sure. Iron Glove could speak better than I to current populations.

I worked at the resort a couple of stints in the 94 and then had a place in Eastgate in the early 2000's.

Winter, we'd see them on the edges of the highway assumedly enjoying the salt. Summertime you'd see them often just east of the lodge on the south side of the highway in what I am pretty sure is called Beaver Pond. It is a BC Parks trail and I think that it the name.

That is pretty good moose habitat east of the lodge.

I'd see the same two on my way home to Eastgate from the Bear's Den or some party in staff housing at 2 or 3 am every few weeks.

Back when we did dumb things and would tell ourselves "the car knows the way."

Moose are cool. Some of the crap I did in my 20's and early 30's turns out, not so cool. Not alone in that of course.

BCptown
09-17-2017, 08:18 PM
I take highway 3 all the time as my brother and I own a cabin on the outskirts of Princeton. I have only ever seen one moose in Manning park, closer to east gate however, I have seen people on here saying they have seen moose in the waters at Sunshine Valley.....

sparkes3
09-17-2017, 08:57 PM
I have several on my game cameras near manning
bulls cows and calves

whognu
09-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Saw it this afternoon too

3-4 yr old bull

a couple miles east of sumolo grove

didnt think moose were there

headed east Friday am saw two elk in ditch - 5 pt and cow

Bull near bottom of Brenda mine, cow just past whipsaw

that's a lot of carnage for three nights

ROY-alty33
09-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Always thought that the water at Sunshine valley looked rather Moosey. Buddy has video of a moose trotting along side his car close to the resort, not sure that its a substantial population but they are there.

Pinewood
09-17-2017, 09:03 PM
I was heading up to Princeton and passed the accident right around 9:30pm Friday night. I was waved past by a firefighter but it looked bad The car was rolled onto it's side in the ditch and the Moose was laying there dead. In the darkness I thought it looked like a big Cow. It was right before the 48km to Princeton sign, just past Eastgate. I hope the people involved weren't badly hurt, it looked like serious shit though. Saw lots of game on Saturday up in the hills when I was out walking around. Nothing with 4 points though.

Salty
09-17-2017, 09:04 PM
No moose in Manning, Iron Glove herded them all over to Tulameen :eek:

Iron Glove
09-17-2017, 10:31 PM
No moose in Manning, Iron Glove herded them all over to Tulameen :eek:

Last time I saw a moose walking along our fence in Tulameen was at least 7 or 8 years ago. Have seen them a km or so away on the KVR at Otter Creek and a few other spots. :grin:
Over the years have seen them in Manning while camping with the kids in the late 80's and early 90's.
See them the odd time at the pond or whatever it is on #3 just before the Mine Hill, a dead one on the road last year on #3 a bit before Sunday Summitt and Son has seen quite a number up Whipsaw lately.
I'm more interested in a damn Mulie Buck, all I've seen this past week up here are friggin' does. :icon_frow
Probably have more luck shooting one on the Hope Golf Course.

gutpile
09-18-2017, 01:58 AM
I don't understand why they have an open season for 2 point spike in that region , why not have a LEH for 8-04 , 8-05 for any bull
in that region maybe 4 draws and keep the young 2 point bulls off limits and build up the heard .

Steelpulse
09-18-2017, 02:04 AM
Interesting thread about east of the park I'll be there most of this fall will report back on numbers I see. And a nice 4pt I'm gonna find

boxhitch
09-18-2017, 06:21 AM
I don't understand why they have an open season for 2 point spike in that region , why not have a LEH for 8-04 , 8-05 for any bull
In a nut shell, spike/fork offers opportunity to anyone that buys a tag �� and allows lots of escapement and protects mature breeding bulls, there is no sperm shortage.
Add an LEH any bull, ��sure but leh alone should be repulsed by any hunter that cares to hunt

sarg
09-18-2017, 07:38 AM
It's a shame about the moose, a buddy pm'ed a picture of the young bull Friday night

caddisguy
09-18-2017, 08:02 AM
I'm more interested in a damn Mulie Buck, all I've seen this past week up here are friggin' does. :icon_frow
Probably have more luck shooting one on the Hope Golf Course.

The Hope golf course certainly sounds like a good place to "put a hole in one" :D

Salty
09-18-2017, 09:02 AM
^ Very punny caddis ;)

MichelD
09-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Buddy nearly totaled his Pathfinder striking one just past Eastgate one year.

Well actually it was another buddy driving his Pathfinder.

He was just saying "Hey Mike, maybe you should slow down going through here at night..." when "Boom!"

It ran away.

Pretty big-hearted hunting partner. Never gave the other guy heck or complained about the multi-thousand-dollar repairs.

J-Man
09-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Found a calf moose someone shot and left Sep 15 5 years ago on Pasyten FSR, first moose I'd ever seen in the area.

MichelD
09-18-2017, 11:10 AM
I found a dead bull someone shot and left up Stirling FSR near Hedley about 14 years ago.

the_longwalker
09-18-2017, 11:59 AM
I had a drag race with a young bull going up Copper Mountain Road in my ore truck. I was really shocked to see him there, even more that he could run that fast and far up that 14% grade.

scotty30-06
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Theres been moose sighting in alot of parts of region 2....only makes sense that they moved west from manning park area....aswell as south from central bc.....but to see them in manning woukdnt surprise me at all.

BCptown
09-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Hopefully a population can build itself up in the Harrison area!

VFX_man
09-18-2017, 01:57 PM
I take highway 3 all the time as my brother and I own a cabin on the outskirts of Princeton. I have only ever seen one moose in Manning park, closer to east gate however, I have seen people on here saying they have seen moose in the waters at Sunshine Valley.....

How are the critters faring up there [Princeton]? Just retrieved a trail camera up that way and the doe, bear cub and coyote that were on it looked pretty emaciated. No bucks - ton of rabbits and a couple of fat cows.

dino
09-18-2017, 03:57 PM
If a guy wants to put his time in he will get his moose near eastgate. Small pockets of moose area that always have moose.

Pinewood
09-18-2017, 07:03 PM
How are the critters faring up there [Princeton]? Just retrieved a trail camera up that way and the doe, bear cub and coyote that were on it looked pretty emaciated. No bucks - ton of rabbits and a couple of fat cows.

I retrieved a trail cam this weekend that was set last July. It had taken pictures for over a year and had 564 photos. Somehow the batteries were still good and the last pic it caught was on September 12, it was a Bull Moose. I had Whitetail, Mulies galore, Black bear, a bunch of Moose as well as some Coyotes. No Wolves thankfully. No Elk either, but I don't expect them in that area, East of Princeton.

VFX_man
09-18-2017, 10:51 PM
I retrieved a trail cam this weekend that was set last July. It had taken pictures for over a year and had 564 photos. Somehow the batteries were still good and the last pic it caught was on September 12, it was a Bull Moose. I had Whitetail, Mulies galore, Black bear, a bunch of Moose as well as some Coyotes. No Wolves thankfully. No Elk either, but I don't expect them in that area, East of Princeton.

Mine was set north of Princeton on China Creek FSR, not much critter action in that area. Maybe too near the fire area?

swampdonkey
09-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Mine was set north of Princeton on China Creek FSR, not much critter action in that area. Maybe too near the fire area?

China creek gets pounded pretty good. Just like the pike mtn and a-p ranch area

cameron0518
09-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Last time I counted, there was only 17 moose in that area.