PDA

View Full Version : wood stoves and fire ban

hoochie
09-17-2017, 09:40 AM
I didnt think of this until this morning, but I am guessing my wood stove in my wall tent is going to be an issue unless the fire ban is lifted.
It has a spark arrester mesh; but I guess we are without a heat source this year?

cpearen
09-17-2017, 10:14 AM
I talked to the fire warden just north of merritt 2 weeks ago, he came by the rec site looking for violators and he said a wood stove is not considered an open campfire and is legal. We didn't have our wood stove because i thought the same thing as you, but he said it would be fine. Im not saying its a good idea even with a spark arrestor but as far as i know, you won't get in sh*t.

longwalk
09-17-2017, 10:18 AM
I talked to the fire warden just north of merritt 2 weeks ago, he came by the rec site looking for violators and he said a wood stove is not considered an open campfire and is legal. We didn't have our wood stove because i thought the same thing as you, but he said it would be fine. Im not saying its a good idea even with a spark arrestor but as far as i know, you won't get in sh*t.

Two years ago I was told by the the Kamloops fire district that a wood stove in my tent was considered to be an open fire even with a spark arrestor.

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 10:19 AM
From BC Wildfire Service

"With shorter days and cooler nights, people are starting to ask: can I use a woodstove during a campfire ban or open burning ban? The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building."

I read that as a no, as it is not incorporated in a building.

Dannybuoy
09-17-2017, 10:25 AM
From BC Wildfire Service

"With shorter days and cooler nights, people are starting to ask: can I use a woodstove during a campfire ban or open burning ban? The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building."

I read that as a no, as it is not incorporated in a building.
I would read that as a yes as a wall tent should be considered as a building . Personally I wouldn't use mine at this time .

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 10:34 AM
I would read that as a yes as a wall tent should be considered as a building . Personally I wouldn't use mine at this time .

I'd use mine right now where I live If I could figure out how to say that my stove is vented through a "structure that has a flue" and justify my wall tent as being a "building"

Unfortunately other parts of the southeast fire center still have some areas that are bone dry and burning. Hope they get some relief soon!

Dannybuoy
09-17-2017, 10:37 AM
A "flue" is a stove pipe by definition and a wall tent is a structure ..... I don't see the conflict .

cpearen
09-17-2017, 10:41 AM
A "flue" is a stove pipe by definition and a wall tent is a structure ..... I don't see the conflict .

agreed !!!!!!

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 10:44 AM
If your wall tent was by definition a "building" then you wouldn't be aloud to "build" it on crown land.

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 10:47 AM
I do kind of agree with you, but I think it would be a tough sell and you'd probably come out of it with a fine.

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 10:50 AM
I emailed BC Wildfire Service to ask specifically about wall tents. Will post reply here when I get it. Hopefully I'm wrong!

btridge
09-17-2017, 11:05 AM
straight from BC wildfire ban.
These prohibitions do not apply to cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes, or to a portable campfire apparatus with a CSA or ULC rating that uses briquettes, liquid or gaseous fuel - so long as the height of the flame is less than 15 centimetres. The use of a campfire apparatus that does not meet these specifications is prohibited.

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Here is the response from BC wildfire Services. They got back to me within minutes!

"Hi, I'm looking for information around wood stoves. Specifically, can a wood stove be used in a canvass outfitters tent under the current fire bans in the southeast fire center?

Thanks.

Travis."

"Hi Travis. No, wood stoves cannot be used inside of tents under the Southeast Fire Centre's current wildfire bans. The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building. But a tent isn't considered a structure or a building."

Busterpayton54
09-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Frame a wall on one side and run the pipe through it.

btridge
09-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Frame a wall on one side and run the pipe through it.

You are still considered camping and as such your suggestion would result in a big ticket. These fire bans are in place for a reason and they will be lifted as the forest conditions warrant, have patience, please follow the fire bans while out hunting. last thing hunters need is to start a wildfire while out hunting!

And for those that have wood stoves in their RV/trailers, these are also banned as they are not considered to be "stuctures", they are considered vehicles.

sobirch
09-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Wonder if you could use briquettes in your wood stove instead of wood

Bugle M In
09-17-2017, 12:21 PM
So, those propane fire rings that are CSA etc approved are legal right now..??
(sorry, didn't mean to get off topic from wood stoves).

Travalanche
09-17-2017, 12:33 PM
So, those propane fire rings that are CSA etc approved are legal right now..??
(sorry, didn't mean to get off topic from wood stoves).

Yes those are legal.

Ubertuber
09-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I spoke with the Kamloops fire prevention officer a couple of months ago and he said no, no wood stoves in a tent. He said they don't consider a tent a structure. When I asked about charcoal and/or briquettes, he said yes, that would be fine.
While camping, a fire warden came to our camp and checked out the wood stove and gave it a pass. We had two 5 gallon buckets of water on hand as well as a shovel. This made him happy. His one ask was that we acquire a steel bucket or pail for the hot embers.
Our propane campfire got a pass as well.

hoochie
09-17-2017, 06:07 PM
What were you burning in there? wood?The charcoal thing got me confused.
I have sent off an email of my own and am awaiting a response.

Ubertuber
09-17-2017, 06:32 PM
We were burning charcoal briquettes. He reiterated that wood could not be burned in the stove during the fire ban.

squamishhunter
09-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Used my stove August up near liard, park ranger stopped looking for a guy who assaulted people at hot springs, no problem with stove. Mind you, this was wettest summer I've seen, up here.

IslandWanderer
04-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Am I correct in thinking a diesel stove from deluxe is allowed during a fire ban?

MBHunter
07-11-2021, 05:16 PM
Bump - does anyone have the answer?

wildcatter
07-11-2021, 05:24 PM
If your wall tent was by definition a "building" then you wouldn't be aloud to "build" it on crown land.

It would be a temporary structure, so I don't see any problem.

VLD43
07-11-2021, 05:44 PM

Would a tent not be considered as a temporary structure versus a building?

Ron.C
07-11-2021, 06:05 PM
I agree VLD and based on my interpretation, I wouldn't be using a wood stove in my wall tent during this campfire ban. That said, I don't know what the legal definition of a building is in BC and I'm making an assumption tent is not a building.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions/2018_burning_01_stovescampfires_web.pdf

My recommendation is to call a local CO and one or more of these numbers: Coastal Fire Centre (Parksville) 250 951-4222 Kamloops Fire Centre (Kamloops) 250 554-5500 Southeast Fire Centre (Castlegar) 250 365-4040 Cariboo Fire Centre (Williams Lake) 250 989-2600 Prince George Fire Centre (Prince George) 250 561-4628 Northwest Fire Centre (Smithers) 250 847-6600

(https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions/2018_burning_01_stovescampfires_web.pdf)

Ron.C
07-11-2021, 06:24 PM
deleted "duplicate post"

BimmerBob
07-11-2021, 06:35 PM
As far as I understand it a airtight stove is not a campfire and as long as you have a proper chimney attached (spark arrestor on top) it is my belief that they are allowed, fuel is not a consideration as it is not an open flame.

btridge
07-12-2021, 08:07 AM
As far as I understand it a airtight stove is not a campfire and as long as you have a proper chimney attached (spark arrestor on top) it is my belief that they are allowed, fuel is not a consideration as it is not an open flame.

This is incorrect, I received the same message as th attached from the South East fire centre.

"Hi Travis. No, wood stoves cannot be used inside of tents under the Southeast Fire Centre's current wildfire bans. The use of a woodstove is not considered open burning and is allowed *IF* the fire in the stove is vented through a structure that has a flue and is incorporated in a building. But a tent isn't considered a structure or a building."

boxhitch
07-13-2021, 05:46 AM
Would a tent not be considered as a temporary structure versus a building?shelter maybe but structure is a stretch
I have seen some camps that would fit the structure definition, we had one that took 3 hours and 100 screws to put tin and framing together,
on a good hunt it was temporarily up for only a couple days, but never had an approved wood stove in

Canuck77
07-13-2021, 07:56 AM
Why in the world are do guys want a fire so bad and keep looking for loopholes? It’s been clearly stated wood stoves are a no go with the current bans. This is going probably going to be the hottest, driest summer anyone has seen in BC. Just take a break from the burning ffs.

VLD43
07-13-2021, 08:22 PM
shelter maybe but structure is a stretch
I have seen some camps that would fit the structure definition, we had one that took 3 hours and 100 screws to put tin and framing together,
on a good hunt it was temporarily up for only a couple days, but never had an approved wood stove in

Shelter or structure, my point is that neither is a building, and therefore the question being considered is mute. From what has been discussed so far it seems the rule only applies to a building.

Keta1969
07-13-2021, 08:41 PM
Why in the world are do guys want a fire so bad and keep looking for loopholes? It’s been clearly stated wood stoves are a no go with the current bans. This is going probably going to be the hottest, driest summer anyone has seen in BC. Just take a break from the burning ffs.

Have been trying to figure this out also.

Treed
07-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Let’s just say you decide to believe your wall tent is a structure, you fire up your airtight and low and behold you start a forest fire. After the fines and possible criminal charges, you can expect the government to come after you for loses to crown timber. Hope no houses are lost, fire fighters, pilots or civis die, cause then it’s going to get real nasty. Is it really worth that - especially with fire indices so bad right now??

wideopenthrottle
07-14-2021, 06:59 AM
also shaking my head on the semantics....fireban=hot and dry....= no need for a wood stove overnight (try a blanket if you are cold)...cookstove for the food

JAGRMEISTER
07-14-2021, 07:07 AM
keep colouring between the lines!

wideopenthrottle
07-14-2021, 09:07 AM
and hopefully the forest fires stay within the lines too
keep colouring between the lines!

Downwindtracker2
07-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Seriously,having heated with wood as well as using a tin airtight in a wall tent, you don't use wood stove unless you have to, as in wet and cold. Just too much extra work. I would rather hunt, or maybe drink beer, than cut and split firewood.

But on this topic, think about the old wood cook stoves in this heat. Slaving over a hot stove has a real meaning.

Elkaholic
07-14-2021, 09:51 AM
also shaking my head on the semantics....fireban=hot and dry....= no need for a wood stove overnight (try a blanket if you are cold)...cookstove for the food

you know I am willing to bet there are a ton of responsible, respectful users of the back country that would be able to have a fire and cause no issues. But instead we make rules for all of the sheep/idiots that have no clue/respect for anything. This is what pisses me off the most.

wideopenthrottle
07-14-2021, 10:53 AM
yep...nothin common about common sense anymore...
you know I am willing to bet there are a ton of responsible, respectful users of the back country that would be able to have a fire and cause no issues. But instead we make rules for all of the sheep/idiots that have no clue/respect for anything. This is what pisses me off the most.

IslandWanderer
09-12-2022, 11:33 PM
Anyone ever used a buddy heater in a wall tent during a fireban?

I've got a big buddy Heater and adapter for 20 lb tanks. Thinking it might be useful to take the chill out of a tent early morning and late evening.

thompie505
09-12-2022, 11:52 PM
Should work well, no open flame so you’re good. Might get a bit of moisture, and make sure you have a CO alarm. I know they’re supposed to have safety measures but running something off propane in an enclosed area with limited ventilation can be dangerous.

MBHunter
09-13-2022, 06:55 AM
Last year we ran a 30k btu gas heater and no problems with it. Had a co2 alarm in the cot sleeve. Worked so good that we set the temp to 10 degrees and when the stove went out in the middle of the night we ran gas heat till morning. This is our new setup for the trips.

BimmerBob
09-13-2022, 07:03 AM

It is the way of policticks and gooberments, fools elected by the foolish accomplishing the same.

Be well.../B

Redthies
09-13-2022, 07:44 AM
Well, the fire ban is no longer in place, so maybe just carry on…

IslandWanderer
09-13-2022, 09:50 PM
Well, the fire ban is no longer in place, so maybe just carry on…

There appears to still be a fire ban in the coastal region unfortunately.

Edit: well, I think they're banned still.

https://blog.gov.bc.ca/bcwildfire/campfire-prohibition-lift-for-portion-of-central-coast-regional-district/

IslandWanderer
09-13-2022, 09:51 PM
Should work well, no open flame so you’re good. Might get a bit of moisture, and make sure you have a CO alarm. I know they’re supposed to have safety measures but running something off propane in an enclosed area with limited ventilation can be dangerous.

Good point about the CO monitor. I'll definitely get one.

Elkaholic
09-14-2022, 06:49 AM
Anyone ever used a buddy heater in a wall tent during a fireban?

I've got a big buddy Heater and adapter for 20 lb tanks. Thinking it might be useful to take the chill out of a tent early morning and late evening.

We used a dual green bottle mr heater buddy and let me tell you unless you slept right beside it you may as well have just brought a better sleeping bag. But that was in a 10x22 wall tent setup.

Redthies
09-14-2022, 04:53 PM
There appears to still be a fire ban in the coastal region unfortunately.

Edit: well, I think they're banned still.

https://blog.gov.bc.ca/bcwildfire/campfire-prohibition-lift-for-portion-of-central-coast-regional-district/

There is something going on in the coastal area (which is weird), but the rest of the province is in the clear.

Livewire322
09-14-2022, 05:13 PM
There is something going on in the coastal area (which is weird), but the rest of the province is in the clear.

There is something going on in the coastal fire zone alright… The major population center of this province sits in the coastal zone and most of those bodies wouldn’t know how to have a safe campfire if instructions were tattooed on their forearm! Some cretins I’ve witnessed think it’s ok to burn stacks of pallets on landings surrounded by burn piles and dried grass :evil:

Iron Glove
09-14-2022, 06:54 PM
There is something going on in the coastal fire zone alright… The major population center of this province sits in the coastal zone and most of those bodies wouldn’t know how to have a safe campfire if instructions were tattooed on their forearm! Some cretins I’ve witnessed think it’s ok to burn stacks of pallets on landings surrounded by burn piles and dried grass :evil:

Yup, where we live there are constant Facebook Posts "Anyone got any pallets laying around?" They end up being burned down by the River, regardless of the fire risk and of course, leave piles of nails around. :mad:

wideopenthrottle
09-14-2022, 07:34 PM
I is scary to turn around your vehicle anywhere near all
those random pallette fires...