PDA

View Full Version : Camping North of horseshoe bay

Ubertuber
08-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Yikes!
Looks like I've been picked to take some relatives camping this long weekend and they want to go somewhere North of horseshoe bay, ideally around Whistler (that's what they want, not me 8)). Now, I've been skiing at Whistler many times but never camping in the summer up there so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go. I was hoping to go somewhere secluded and wild (no commercial campgrounds or Provincial). I have a camper on a decent 4X4 and have a good sense of direction so the more obscure the better. GPS coordinates are welcome in a PM 8)
Can any of you recommend a spot up that way where we can get away from the crowds up that way?
I won't be going back up there, so don't be afraid you'll find me at your spot some fall day:wink:

Thanks,
U T

Poguebilt
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd go to Gatehouses back yard!!

MichelD
08-02-2007, 11:59 PM
There are various forestry campsites along the Duffey Lake Road, but it being the long weekend well ...

Gateholio
08-03-2007, 12:49 AM
If you feel like being a brave guy, and taking your time, and pushing it on...

Go to the top of the microwave towere road, by Birkenhead.

It's a rough road these days, but capable for a 4x4

Take what yu need for the time, as you DON'T want to go back up nd down to the store, but it' nice...

failing that...Get early to one of the provincia;l campsites..Or go over MANY water bars and end up in Owl lake area.

Whatever you do, take some bug juice. I've never ever seen bugs so bad as this year....

7mmag
08-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Lost of nice places off the squamish and indian river roads, but they'll both be busy. You MIGHT get away from the crowds if you go far enough up the Lillooet lake road. I'd stay away from Cat lake

JAYDEE
08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Lost of nice places off the squamish and indian river roads, but they'll both be busy. You MIGHT get away from the crowds if you go far enough up the Lillooet lake road. I'd stay away from Cat lake
WHY STAY AWAY FROM CAT LAKE?

Gateholio
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Cat lake will be a zoo

7mmag
08-04-2007, 12:15 AM
WHY STAY AWAY FROM CAT LAKE?

Because of the multitued of punks and thugs that flock that way every summer long weekend. A lot of cars get broken into and a lot of gear get stolen.:evil:

I haven't been there in a while, but it was like that 2-3 years ago

Ubertuber
08-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas...I'm outta here!