PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds?

MichelD
09-13-2017, 09:07 AM
In 2015 I went to a spot in region 2 on opening day and at around 8:300 saw two bucks and shot one. Buddy had got one 400 metres away a half hour before.

Last year I went to the same spot and at around 8:30 shot a buck about 40 metres from where I had shot the previous one.

This year I went back to the same place opening day at 8:30 and WTF?

No 8:30 buck.

Went back the next day.

No buck.

Went back yesterday and at 9:50, guess what?

Two point buck standing in the open 60 yards away from me.

I'd been scanning in the other direction and he saw me first and retreated to safety, but I got to thinking.

Is there a pattern here?

Kill-da-wabbit
09-13-2017, 09:34 AM
You have found the magical "pocket". Migration route, wintering habitat, a concentration of feed free from predators, whatever it is. If you are smart, you should be successful in that spot for years to come...

Weatherby Fan
09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
If you really smart you will TELL NO ONE !!!!!

Spots like that are rare.........

Bugle M In
09-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Yup, sounds like you found the proverbial "Honey Hole".

Found a spot where deer like to hang out at that time of year.
If you go later, the chances are that they are no longer there, and migrated out.

landphil
09-13-2017, 10:30 AM
It might be a pattern, or it might just be a fluke. Tell me where it is and I'll investigate. :mrgreen:

Darksith
09-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Lots of spots like that. I can think of 2 areas, one we have taken 13 bucks out of that I can remember over the last 10 years or so, another one we have taken several white tail, a mulie and could have taken a moose if we weren't tagged out or had the LEH different years.

Whonnock Boy
09-13-2017, 10:49 AM
I think it depends on the spot. New slash, just growing up, you may have a bunch more years of good hunting, or it could be just at the point where it's starting to dry up, or I should say, too much vegetation that you will no longer be able to see them on a consistent basis. I also believe sometimes bucks are educated by the their elders, which lead them back to the prime spots year after year. Shoot all the bucks every year, and there is none to teach the young ones. Or.... maybe your "buddy" gonged the hole without you knowing. :eek:

steel_ram
09-13-2017, 11:49 AM
I've shot 7 bucks while sitting on the same stump over 5 years. I've got the spot pretty well pegged timing wise. Never sat for more than two hours. Never hunted it more than two days a season.

My spot is a natural funnel of forest between a small lake and a heavily hunted road.

09-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Way to go MD, good things happen to folks that deserve it. You've helped lots of folks, it's the hunting gods watching you lol

ajr5406
09-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Something fishy going on I think... Next year you should take me with you, just to make sure its not a coincidence...?

Magnumb
09-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Early season...mineral lick perhaps?

walks with deer
09-13-2017, 03:00 PM
I have had spots that produce like that for all species not kidding my whitetail spot is a 300yard circle that I am not sure how many but a lot.. year after year same date same time same place.

one of my muley spots actually has dents in the bank from my tailgate backing into the uphill to load up the same spot as numerous years prior.

I have found blacktails the same and definitely moose.

I shot my biggest moose less than a km from where my dad shot his biggest 25 years prior. and bears well that's even worse and chickens too.

90percent of game 10% of area..

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Looks like you've found your spot!

Weird things can happen like that. Back in the 1980s I hunted one particular ridge that ran just above a main FSR for about 150 yards, then dropped off to steep/thick crap on each end.

I killed four 4 point mule deer on that hill in 5 years. That's remarkable, but the more remarkable thing was that there was only one smaller buck that I saw that I could have killed, but it walked within 10 feet of me with his nose up a doe's ass when I was taking out my knife to gut a 4 point. Seemed that hill was a 4 point haven, no little bucks allowed.

I loaded 3 of those 4 into the truck by backing into the same little mound on the side of the road, the other was just around the corner about 75 yards away.

Maybe I should start to hunt that spot again...

Takla
09-13-2017, 04:35 PM
my freezers got filled every yr from one location in 7-49 from 1988 to 2005..All bulls taken between 17-20th of sept and all dropped within a hundred yrd radius.
When we were forced out of that area by the brow tine regulation we threw a dart at a map of bc and started hunting that area and on the first trip in managed 2 bulls and three bear and subsequently dropped all our game in the same cutblock there as well every trip in.
Both locations were game dense
Local blacktail same story

takla

walks with deer
09-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Takla,

Didn't that nice wolf you harvested come right out of one of your top secret blacktail holes,that numerous had come out of.

Takla
09-13-2017, 04:48 PM
yup he was fat and his belly was full of blacktail...pissed me off so he got a 375 hh behind the ear.im 6'2 and holding him up his head was ubove mine and his feet on the ground,nice sized puppy
We got skunked that yr because of that lower mainland wolf..

Dirtnap
09-14-2017, 10:31 PM
I went to my "spot" last year to find someone found out what I had already knew.

There was a time around here when Mellin-Ellen FSR was a hotspot and you were bound to get something. Now it's quite quiet in terms of activity. Gone are the days of greeting a literal herd of mulies along the road with several bucks in tow late august scouting.