PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Advice

Shea_G
09-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Hey all,

I recently moved to Kamloops from the coast and am looking forward to this season. I'm going to wait until October to try and get a buck but in the mean time I'd love to get some ducks, geese or grouse. Im just not too sure of where to go, I dont want to end up on pvt property or a park. Im pretty unfamiliar with the area. If someone could point me in the right direction that would help me out a lot. I guess the back country ban is still in affect so were not even aloud out there yet? Correct?

walks with deer
09-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Shea g

Quads are off limits.

Regular fsr are fine..

Why did you move to kamloops?

Why do you want to wait until october to hunt?

I may be able to help you with a spot or two

Shea_G
09-12-2017, 10:42 PM
O ok, I dont mind leaving the quad at home for now.

Work, land surveyor.

Figured Id wait until its any buck to give myself a better chance.

Id really appreciate that.

Also I found this link I thought I'd share to others that are interested... http://ihuntbc.blogspot.ca/2011/04/region-3-one-of-most-pleasant-hunting.html

Steelpulse
09-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Kamloops so amazing start down some forest roads in any direction. greenstone mountain. Lac le juene. Tunkwa. Go. I'd share more but that's an insane start right there for you. Of those areas we have taken every open season game in the area and lots of it. Half the battle is figuring it out for yourself and what I gave you there is gold good luck. And enjoy an incredible spot in bc. Read through my posts I have posted lots on the loops

ghost
09-13-2017, 05:13 AM
Moved here 5 years ago great place. You will find deer almost any where you go.

Weatherby Fan
09-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Well if I was going to move somewhere in the southern interior.......Kamloops would be probably be the place as it has everything......not to mention hunting & fishing in all directions !

RackStar
09-13-2017, 07:26 AM
U should get out there now!! Scout , trail cam, ditch chicken shooting. Get a spot dailed in so your buck lays down oct 1. Remember white tails any buck. Lots to go around! I could never spend precious venison hunting time hunting birds. Eeeeek. Don't sell yourself short. Lots of 4pt mulies out there

Darksith
09-13-2017, 09:00 AM
there are lots of tiny little ponds around kamloops...Im not much of a duck hunter, but I have found a way to bag me a few pretty easy. Usually on the small ponds the ducks will circle the edge once then reland in the same spot...I let 1 shot off to get the birds up in the air and then they usually fly over me so I get 1 bird without even stalking or anything. Make sure you have waders to go fetch them though as they will fall in the water. Easy way to get a duck on your way home from deer hunting in the mid day

Steelpulse
09-13-2017, 10:14 AM
This is the truth right here. Best way to duck hunt Kamloops unfortunately the tiny ponds are top secret haha

there are lots of tiny little ponds around kamloops...Im not much of a duck hunter, but I have found a way to bag me a few pretty easy. Usually on the small ponds the ducks will circle the edge once then reland in the same spot...I let 1 shot off to get the birds up in the air and then they usually fly over me so I get 1 bird without even stalking or anything. Make sure you have waders to go fetch them though as they will fall in the water. Easy way to get a duck on your way home from deer hunting in the mid day

VFX_man
09-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Hey all,

I recently moved to Kamloops from the coast and am looking forward to this season. I'm going to wait until October to try and get a buck but in the mean time I'd love to get some ducks, geese or grouse. Im just not too sure of where to go, I dont want to end up on pvt property or a park. Im pretty unfamiliar with the area. If someone could point me in the right direction that would help me out a lot. I guess the back country ban is still in affect so were not even aloud out there yet? Correct?

I'll be joining you in the future -- just bought a Kamloops place for retirement [in a few years]. Get out and drive the FSR roads and explore -- you've got a lifetime of options. I'm starting to learn the area as well, and have 15 cameras out in various locations that are roughly 100-150km off of the main road(s) - - - so it's big country. Still no large game in the freezer, but optimistic this year.

Fisher-Dude
09-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Well if I was going to move somewhere in the southern interior.......Kamloops would be probably be the place as it has everything......not to mention hunting & fishing in all directions !

Only drawback would be having RJ too close for comfort! :-P

Lots of opportunity around the 'loops. And with the recent influx of whitetails, a guy can do really well on some great bucks (and WT does!).

I'd suggest joining the local fish & game club, always a good place to meet new peeps and catch some tips on where to go amidst the BS sessions at club meetings.

Cyrus
09-13-2017, 05:48 PM
If you don't get off the roads there it will just look like the Lower Mainland again.

Kami
09-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Plenty of areas to hunt around Kamloops yes. Problem is it seems like everyone knows it. Seems everyone takes a buck or two during "any buck month of chaos" around Kamloops. Pretty hard for the avarage buck to grow 4 points. Ya generally gotta work real hard for a 4 point around Kamloops. Lots of time and effort. A weekend trip to the Kamloops area from the Lower Mainland, your odds are pretty low for a 4 point in my experience.

jackpine
09-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Listen to Kami, he is bang on.

RackStar
09-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Yup. No good deer around there anymore. I head to Clearwater. Way more deer.

markomoose
09-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Yup. No good deer around there anymore. I head to Clearwater. Way more deer.Maybe 10 years ago?

REMINGTON JIM
09-20-2017, 07:10 PM

And your Best Buddy RJ too now ! :D RJ

HankBC
09-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Welcome to Kamloops! As stated in the posts above, just hit some of the many FSR's and find a good spot to park and hike. You'll see some beautiful country, and most likely a lot of animals. Cheers!

bacon_overlord
09-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Welcome! Although it might make your brain hurt, try reading some of Jelvis' posts. He details a lot of info on the various MU's and areas around Kamloops.
Good luck!
Hey all,

cameron0518
09-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Tunkwa Lake is where it is at. I hunt there every year and never fail putting meat in the deep freeze. Not all monster bucks but they are sure good eating.

Dog_River
09-21-2017, 05:07 AM
I just moved to a place west of Kamloops towards Cache Creek. I am not much of a big game hunter and I am focused on bird hunting behind my English Setter. I hope to get out soon but it takes time to learn where to go when your new to an area. i have not had alot of time to scout so we will see what this fall brings.

Darksith
09-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Plenty of areas to hunt around Kamloops yes. Problem is it seems like everyone knows it. Seems everyone takes a buck or two during "any buck month of chaos" around Kamloops. Pretty hard for the avarage buck to grow 4 points. Ya generally gotta work real hard for a 4 point around Kamloops. Lots of time and effort. A weekend trip to the Kamloops area from the Lower Mainland, your odds are pretty low for a 4 point in my experience.

A buck or 2? Really? I pass on a lot of 4 points every year. just becacuse it has 4 points doesn't mean its a mature or even big deer. Gotta get off the beaten path, walk uphill, understand how the deer around kamloops migrate or if they migrate. There are some places like old burns that hold deer all year long, other places where you have spruce/pine stands that hold deer early, and other places where you have majority fir whether the deer move into in the late season to winter, but the biggest thing is to get out and walk uphill...thats all Im saying lol.

Darksith
09-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Welcome! Although it might make your brain hurt, try reading some of Jelvis' posts. He details a lot of info on the various MU's and areas around Kamloops.
Good luck!

his info is old, very old. There is almost no spots around kamloops that don't hold deer, pick one get your boots on and go explore. Contact zones like where sage meets timber is a great place to start. Go up batch or jamieson, head to barriere, or cache creek direction, find a bridge that crosses a river but if you don't get out of the truck you will only see the stupid little 2 year old 2 points generally speaking. There are so many little swamps and ponds and grassy meadows but without walking you won't find them. Thats how I have figured out my spots...they aren't exlusive just get out there and try.