PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cider Vinegar?

DarekG
09-12-2017, 06:18 PM
I keep seeing apple cider vinegar, and apple cider brine come up quite a bit when looking for game recipes. I'm wondering how you actually add it to your recipe in terms of technique, ratio, things like that. Does the use differ depending on what animal you're using?

When someone says "brine it" do they mean submerge it in brine, or just add a bit and marinate it?

Gateholio
09-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Brine for meat is usually a solution of water, salt and flavourings. Often sugar, too. You would soak the meat overnight. The salt penetrates the meat and helps retain moisture when cooked. There might be some vinegar in it, but the main liquid in a brine is water.

Small amounts of vinegar are often used in wild game preparation for flavour and/or as a tenderizer, as vinegar is acidic.

lip_ripper00
09-12-2017, 06:57 PM
I can't help much, I know putting some out in small bowls with a few drop of dish soap will rid your house of fruit flys over new night if you have been canning fruit.

scotty30-06
09-12-2017, 07:38 PM
^^^^yup or any foot problems soak your feet in it.....use it dogs all the time with they get cut or scrape....wife uses it for everything

WWBC
09-12-2017, 09:20 PM
I often put some apple cider viniger in the braising liquid for slow cooking pork.
Probably works the same with game meat. The Acid seams to help flavour and tenderize.

Ryo
09-14-2017, 05:23 AM
I add a splash - like less than a Tbsp - to a lot of stewed dishes and marinades, especially those that also use a dark beer. Wine-based recipes don't always need it. Go by taste - if it tastes like it needs a high note (acidity) to balance the low, splash a bit in there. I find that it smells terrible when you put it in at first, but give it a bit of time and it settles in to the mix. I braised beef cheeks, potatoes, carrots, etc. in a thick stout last week and used some apple cider vinegar to brighten it up.

I also use it in a asian marinade for flank... i'll try to dig up the recipe to share it.

blackhawk19
09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
used in St Louis bbq sauce. all sauces in that area use apple cider vinegar