PDA

View Full Version : More questions 8-8

Phoneguy
08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Have had some great pointers so far. Myself, a buddy and his son all got first year hunters LEH for whitetail doe in 8-8. A couple of people have recommended Darke Lake as a good place to camp and hunt from. On a recent trip to Peachland my father in law and I drove into the Lake to check out the access. Should be able to get my 23' trailer in, just take it easy the last 1KM. Didn't get further than the lake for scouting, so didn't get a good look at the lay of the land. Reading the regs, and being ever the optimist, it looks like if we time it right we can also go after spike moose. Between the three of us there is a potential for quite a few animals (I know, optimistic, but I know the reality too, just like the optimistic better). A couple of seasoned hunters may be joining us too.

Can anyone recommend a meat cutter, butcher, place to hang, process, etc?

One person suggested getting in early (Draw is Oct 1 - Nov15) as once the snow starts the whitetail will move out. True?

Figuring out things as we go along so any advice is much appreciated.

James

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't think the whities will move out of that area - maybe off the tops of the highest mountain, but most of that area is low elevation. I wouldn't want to be driving down that hill though with a trailer if it snows, without being chained up. Good luck with the hunt!

sparkymacker
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
There are Whitetail does running around up there all during that time. I would reccomend going early though as it is quite likely you could not drag a trailer in there late October/November due to snow. I would also suggest not going the Thanksgiving weekend and the following week as you will have several hundred neighbours, it becomes an instant city during that time. As far as the 2 point moose goes......well you think the LEH odds are bad, just trying finding an immature bull. But you never know, there is usually a couple shot up there each year.

wsm
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
bow hunted there in nov whities are still there on lower bench. few moose the area seen some

fozzy
08-03-2007, 02:13 AM
I hunt in that zone every year. :) We used Grimms sausage company in Penticton to butcher my LEH Moose last year. They will hang it, skin it whatever you want. PM me if you want/need more info.

sparkymacker
08-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I can vouch for Grimm's as well, they have always provided excellent service for me.