PDA

View Full Version : Flying to the Queen Charlotte Islands

sako79
09-10-2017, 07:11 PM
This coming fall I will be flying to the islands to do some sick for deer hunting the airline says that you can't use the plastic ammo boxes they have to be wood or fiberboard has anyone actually Flown there and knows what they actually accept

twoSevenO
09-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Why not just take 15 mins to nail together a plywood ammo box for the trip and not worry about it?

Rhyno
09-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Not understanding the need for an ammo box...just thrown the box of factory ammo in your checked bag. If you reload just throw some shells in a small box.

Mike_R
09-10-2017, 07:55 PM
I have flown with Air Canada Jazz using the boxes that the ammo came in. (Cardboard/plastic)

Ron.C
09-10-2017, 08:49 PM
just curious, what airline?

this is from Air Canada:
Packing instructions

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.
Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of plastic, wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it’s recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a re-sealable plastic container.
To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing

West Jet:
Ammunition must be:

Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation

maybe smaller regional carriers have different rules, but seem odd

sako79
09-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Pacific Coast air there's no other company that flies there as far as I know

sako79
09-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Not understanding the need for an ammo box...just thrown the box of factory ammo in your checked bag. If you reload just throw some shells in a small box.

I hand load and they do not accept any box. I talked to them on the phone and the manager came on and was quite persistent and the manager came on told me plastic ammo boxes will not be accepted they must be fiberboard or wood. Last time I won't flew to the Charlotte's my buddy drove up and took the ferry and he took my firearm and ammo with him

lip_ripper00
09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Mike if you need a steel military ammo box let me know

sako79
09-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Mike if you need a steel military ammo box let me know

Thanks buddy but I'm just trying to find out if I can find some Factory 7mm O8 boxes and use them. But the customers service department at the airport can't give me a definitive answer

Sangstercraft
09-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Im heading up late September and am going to pack my ammo in wood box too. Apparently that is the rules with Pacific Coastal.

Greg
09-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Make a wood plywood box. Pacific coastal has no security checks to Masset. Air Canada flys to Sandspit

sako79
09-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Make a wood plywood box. Pacific coastal has no security checks to Masset. Air Canada flys to Sandspit

Good to know we have friends that live in Masset and I just did a quick check on the price with her Canada and they are about 25% more than we paid plus the 2-hour Drive

sed8ed
09-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Just flew to Rupert with firearms and ammo.
Factory cardboard ammo box with reloads in it, placed in a sock like usual, packed into my checked baggage. No problem.

Last time I flew to Masset, did the same thing except I had all my ammo packaged into a cardboard box (shot shells and rifle ammo), placed into my checked baggage... No problem.

If you're worried, go buy a wood cigar box from a cigar shop and toss your ammo in there, then into the checked baggage it goes.

You will have a bigger issue with bounty. Check what the restrictions are on that before you head over, ended up sending my fish and deer over to Rupert with a buddy since I didn't have airline approved packaging (special styrofoam/cardboard cooler) to take it on a regular flight and would have to pay freight to send it in the cooler I had brought with me.

sailor22
09-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Pacific Coast air there's no other company that flies there as far as I know Air Canada Jazz has daily flights in and out of Sandspit

scott h
09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Just use factory ammo boxes and you won't have any problems. Have a good hunt :p

King_of_Diamonds
09-14-2017, 10:02 PM
I'd use factory ammo boxes and not bring up that it isn't the original factory ammo in it