PDA

View Full Version : My EBike Hunting Rig

Laurp99
09-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Several of you have PM'd me about my eBike once I had everything put together.
The boys at Cambie Cycles did a great job in ordering some parts that did not fit to making modifications so that everything is now functional!

I first thought of a Fat tire bike for hunting when I saw the Rambo Bike, https://rambobikes.com/
There were not too many dealers in BC and they were a bit pricey for what you got.

The Ebike (ERanger 1000W) I ordered locally from a fellow who puts them together in Burnaby.
http://www.erangerbikes.com/

One charged battery 48V 14.8ah last up to 100KM give or take and I have four batteries.

The trailer from Amazon, the Cycle Force trailer holds 140-200lbs depending on which website you go to. :-o

Scabbard ordered online from http://www.montanascabbards.com/
The scabbard holds my smallest rifle (Rossi RH .44) to my largest shotgun. I still have several weeks of work before getting out in the bush but I'm ready!!

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album81/20170910_120859.jpg

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Without a doubt, extremely jealous. The obvious question is, what did it all cost? Not what you told the wife what it cost either..... ;)

Buckmeister
09-10-2017, 01:27 PM
100kms eh? Not bad. So what is the battery life with yourself, gear, and a dead animal loaded up I wonder?

Ourea
09-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Four batteries.....cost per battery?
Cost of bike and specs?

Good on Cambie Cycle for dealing with a hunter.
Not too many friendlies down there.

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Never mind. Did some googling. I figured it wasn't a cheap set up. Only thing I couldn't find was the cost of batteries???

kbob
09-10-2017, 01:57 PM
I use a voltbike yukon:
http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-yukon.html
Went that route because it was slightly cheaper (got a slightly used one returned to the owner).
But love the trailer and scabbard.

Laurp99
09-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Never mind. Did some googling. I figured it wasn't a cheap set up. Only thing I couldn't find was the cost of batteries???

I paid about $320 US per battery on AliBaba, considerably cheaper than buying local for about $800 CAN per battery. I recently put about 75kms in the city on one charge and the battery still had 5 bars of power and about 80% charge. Without the motor it would take quite an effort to peddle especially uphill, I wouldn't want to do it! :D

barehunter
09-10-2017, 03:11 PM
I love it what a cool set up .... I have been kicking around an idea like this and really think as prices go down and the technology improves we will see more set ups like this !

Sterling
09-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Do you consider this a motorized vehicle?

Whonnock Boy
09-10-2017, 04:00 PM
I know where you're going, and I believe pedal assisted power bikes are accepted for use on road closures, but full electric bikes/vehicles are not.

Bugle M In
09-10-2017, 04:28 PM

For now, but I seriously doubt it will in the future....
1st time in court and the ministry will probably change that to include peddle assist in the ban.

Buckmeister
09-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Just remember that even on a pedal bike it is illegal to have a loaded firearm.

pg83
09-10-2017, 05:24 PM
That's a sweet set up. Can't wait to see a pic or two with a critter in the trailer.

09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Great looking set up..... Good on ya thinking outa the Box. Can't wait to see it loaded with a critter.

Ron.C
09-10-2017, 06:03 PM
I know where you're going, and I believe pedal assisted power bikes are accepted for use on road closures, but full electric bikes/vehicles are not.

Not exactly a straight fwd answer to that one. When I asked the CO service about the legality of e-bike in VCA for hunting areas, I was fwd'd to a regulations and policy analyst and this is the answer I received

Thank you for your email dated August 4, 2017, regarding the use of E-bikes within areas where the operation of motor vehicles are restricted. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

In the provincial Wildlife Act a Motor Vehicle is defined as:

"motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which isdesigned to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include
(a) a devicedesigned to be moved by human, animal or wind power,
(b) a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or
(c) a boat propelled by motorized power;

E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject, as such it is difficult to provide a clear answer to your question. This response is solely based on my interpretation of the regulation as it is currently written.

E-bikes are designed to be both self propelled and moved by human power; they meet the definition of a motor vehicle (designed to be self propelled), and are not included in the definition of motor vehicle (a device designed to be moved by human power). I don’t think the law makers of the day considered that devices would be designed in the future that both meet and are excluded from the definition. Further complicating the matter are the various designs of E-bikes/scooters and their relative reliance on either battery or human power.

There are variables that could be factors in determining whether these types of vehicles could be used within an area subject to motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions. For example, if a bike is not capable of propelling itself without the use of human power (i.e. the battery is charged by the rotation of the pedals) it may not be considered “self propelled” and may not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. However, if a bike does not require human assistance to move it (i.e. the battery is charged at home and the pedals simply augment the movement of the bike) it could be considered “self propelled” and meet the definition of a motor vehicle.

I’ve used terms like “may” and “could” liberally, as described above there is no clear reference to these types of devices in theWildlife Act. However, I’ll take the liberty of more certainty when speaking to the objectives of these motor vehicle regulations. There are numerous types of motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions in the province, but they can be put into two categories: year round/seasonal motor vehicle prohibitions and motor vehicle prohibitions for the purpose of hunting.

Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas). Whenever operating a vehicle/device in the province the operator should be These hybrid vehicles probably don’t compromise the objective of these regulations to any great extent, provided the device is operated in a manner that takes habitat values (soils, vegetation, etc.) into consideration.

The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into these areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms). These E-bikes may compromise the objective of these regulations.

It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they are prohibited by law.

Regards,

Ourea
09-10-2017, 06:11 PM
E bikes are good to go in restricted areas deemed closed for motorized vehicles.
Period.

Bugle M In
09-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Would suck to spend the money, only to have a CO ruin your day.
It might be legal, but, depending what CO you get, it might fall on deaf ears.
Something the ministry will have to decide I suppose, to either list it as legal or not legal.

Ron.C
09-10-2017, 06:43 PM
E bikes are good to go in restricted areas deemed closed for motorized vehicles.
Period.

Not trying to initiate or interested in a pissing contest. I thought they were legal as well. But it appears it is not quite that simple given the information I was provided. I was unable to find a written law or definition within the wildlife act, hence why I sent the email to the CO service.

If you have information or a reference stating they are legal for use in VCA for the purpose of hunting, please share your facts.

to the OP,

that's a sweet rig!!!!

Ourea
09-10-2017, 07:17 PM
I did a market assessment on ebike opportunities for a European bike company that is engaging the North American market.
In initial due diligence I explored niche market opportunities.
Being a hunter I met with enforcement, both RCMP and the Conservation Office.......thumbs up.

nature girl
09-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Now that is a cool set up good luck hunting.

Laurp99
09-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Just remember that even on a pedal bike it is illegal to have a loaded firearm.

I would never ride while locked and loaded, but will be doubly aware of my surroundings since I can quietly sneak up on a large carnivore on the trail, and I did some 25 years or so ago!
It was tricky taking that picture above with my rifle on the bike here in Burnaby, all it takes is one nosey neighbour and the SWAT team would surely come knocking. :mrgreen:
Had to block the driveway with my car. LOL.

xfactor
09-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Very cool setup. What does the bike weigh?

Sangstercraft
09-10-2017, 10:03 PM
I want want want a dead silent ebike like this one.

Bugle M In
09-10-2017, 11:15 PM
IT is a cool setup.

TyTy
09-11-2017, 12:24 AM
This set up is ultimately better than what most of us have. So I think we are all jealous and look forward to seeing you post up a success story. Good luck and have fun!

Squire
09-11-2017, 07:26 AM
I did a market assessment on ebike opportunities for a European bike company that is engaging the North American market.
In initial due diligence I explored niche market opportunities.
Being a hunter I met with enforcement, both RCMP and the Conservation Office.......thumbs up.

I don't doubt that this was your experience but I would exercise caution if intending to exploit motor vehicle access closures with an e-bike. The regulation does not distinguish between internal combustion or electric powered motor vehicles. The only distinction to be classed as a motor vehicle is self propulsion. I would push for clarification in writing or specific changes to the regulation to exclude e-bikes from the motor vehicle classification before taking the chance.

The OP's rig is cooler than the other side of the pillow and would still be great where approaching vehicles send animals for cover.

Ourea
09-11-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't doubt that this was your experience but I would exercise caution if intending to exploit motor vehicle access closures with an e-bike. The regulation does not distinguish between internal combustion or electric powered motor vehicles. The only distinction to be classed as a motor vehicle is self propulsion. I would push for clarification in writing or specific changes to the regulation to exclude e-bikes from the motor vehicle classification before taking the chance.

The OP's rig is cooler than the other side of the pillow and would still be great where approaching vehicles send animals for cover.

One of the comments from the RCMP group we met with I got a chuckle out of.
He stated that if you were impaired riding a power assist bike they could not charge you as the bike does not meet the definition of a motor vehicle.
Do appreciate that the various parties we met with knew that the International Sales And Marketing Manager of the bike brand was present and that the opinions and information needed to be concise. One of the CO's was very impressed with the technology and was considering buying an ebike to hunt road closures. I will leave it at that.

Ourea
09-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Additional comment.....
There are ebikes that do self propel.
They are recognized under the motor vehicle act and therefore not legal for fsr's that are designated as closed to motorized vehicles.

"POWER ASSIST" bikes are GOOD.
SELF PROPELLED bikes are not.
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
yes it is a motorized vehicle as its not totally human, animal or wind propelled
as per definition of motor vehicle on page 4 of the regulation synopsis

Ourea
09-11-2017, 02:27 PM
yes it is a motorized vehicle as its not totally human, animal or wind propelled
as per definition of motor vehicle on page 4 of the regulation synopsis

Your interpretation is just that...yours.
Been on the phone with a few contacts within wildlife that reached out to me.
It is obvious that a clear definition is needed for ebikes, their various features and benefits, as interpreted by wildlife enforcement.
After just speaking with several parties within wildlife there is obvious confusion.

If I got stopped in a road closer on a ebike that was power assist ....I would take it to court and slam dunk that sh*t.

More road closures are a good thing. knowing that FSR density is getting right out of control.
We all want access yet wish to be conservation minded.
Ebikes are a good thing.
It promotes niche business /economic opportunities an hell.....probably puts hundreds of hunters back in the saddle that normally wouldnt take on a 5 km ride uphill.

Bugle M In
09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Additional comment.....
They are recognized under the motor vehicle act and therefore not legal for fsr's that are designated as closed to motorized vehicles.

Cheers

Ourea,

Wasn't trying to argue over it's "legalities etc.
Firstly, it is a nice setup you have there.
Believe me, I am getting older, and most my elk hunting thru the years has been with pedal bike, it would be nice to
have something that made that situation for the future a little easier.
At 5-8 grand ("Specialized" model), I don't see myself affording that for a 10 day hunt.
(sounds like I would have to talk to you for better pricing...lol, just kidding).

I believe you when you say you researched it etc, and "spoke" with officials...I do.
My only concern is, unless these bikes are "listed as exempt" from the restriction, I see issues down the road.
You are left at the hands of an individual, in this case, a CO, and each one may look at ebikes interpretation differently.
(just like comments on this thread...some say it's legit, and others say no, it's not)

So, really what needs to happen is that the ministry, whomever that is in regards to ploicies and restrictions, is going
to "have to" put in writing, in the Hunting Regs, that it is either legal or not legal.

I sure as heck don't want to be out in the field, with one of those bikes, and have CO come by and tell me it is "illegal"
Not so easy to just tell a CO "he's wrong"!
Not going to go over to well...IMO, at that point in time.
Next thing you know, your paying a fine, or off to court you go (something I cant afford either).

CO's don't like being stuck in the middle, and prefer to have things like this bike, in their books, to tell them it is legal.
If they don't see it written in black and white, you end up being stuck with the CO's interpretation, and that can vary a lot.

This is something that the Ministry needs to look at, and then "put it in writing" in the Regs.
Then I will trust it.
Like they say...get it in writing..

Hope you understand where I am coming from.
But again, didn't mean to take away from your OP about your setup and pics...
Thanks for sharing that, nice setup, and believe me, I looked into them.
They are F'n heavy though...atleast the full suspension models I looked at, at Dunbar Cycle.

Ourea
09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Ourea,

Wasn't trying to argue over it's "legalities etc.
Firstly, it is a nice setup you have there.
Believe me, I am getting older, and most my elk hunting thru the years has been with pedal bike, it would be nice to
have something that made that situation for the future a little easier.
At 5-8 grand ("Specialized" model), I don't see myself affording that for a 10 day hunt.
(sounds like I would have to talk to you for better pricing...lol, just kidding).

I believe you when you say you researched it etc, and "spoke" with officials...I do.
My only concern is, unless these bikes are "listed as exempt" from the restriction, I see issues down the road.
You are left at the hands of an individual, in this case, a CO, and each one may look at ebikes interpretation differently.
(just like comments on this thread...some say it's legit, and others say no, it's not)

So, really what needs to happen is that the ministry, whomever that is in regards to ploicies and restrictions, is going
to "have to" put in writing, in the Hunting Regs, that it is either legal or not legal.

I sure as heck don't want to be out in the field, with one of those bikes, and have CO come by and tell me it is "illegal"
Not so easy to just tell a CO "he's wrong"!
Not going to go over to well...IMO, at that point in time.
Next thing you know, your paying a fine, or off to court you go (something I cant afford either).

CO's don't like being stuck in the middle, and prefer to have things like this bike, in their books, to tell them it is legal.
If they don't see it written in black and white, you end up being stuck with the CO's interpretation, and that can vary a lot.

This is something that the Ministry needs to look at, and then "put it in writing" in the Regs.
Then I will trust it.
Like they say...get it in writing..

Hope you understand where I am coming from.
But again, didn't mean to take away from your OP about your setup and pics...
Thanks for sharing that, nice setup, and believe me, I looked into them.
They are F'n heavy though...atleast the full suspension models I looked at, at Dunbar Cycle.

Agree 100 percent that ebikes, the various features, need to be clearly defined under the wildlife act.
It is crystal clear under the motor vehicle act.
They are not a motor vehicle if they are not capable of self propulsion.

Wildlife management is aware...they will bring definition and clarity at some point.

Dannybuoy
09-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Additional comment.....

Cheers
This sums it up ... It really can't be any clearer !

VFX_man
09-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Nice!!!

Did you figure out a trailer braking system?
Found a camo bike helmet yet? ;)

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/specialty-vehicles/Low-powered-vehicles/Pages/Electric-bikes.aspx

Bugle M In
09-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Agree 100 percent that ebikes, the various features, need to be clearly defined under the wildlife act.

Wildlife management is aware...they will bring definition and clarity at some point.

I do hope that make it clear quickly.
I never like it when things like this come up, and they are made aware, but don't react...or wait.
It really is unfair to the CO's to interpret (and hunters) out in the field.
I only say this, because these bikes have been on previous threads, probably stemming back a year at least (if not longer),so someone in these ministries is aware of them (and as you have said, you have spoken to some of them)and yet the definition/interpretation/decision of these bikes and their legalities, has not made it into the books/regs.
Always amazes me how things like this are just not dealt with in "swiftly manner".
How hard can it be for them???...all they have to do is decide to declare them legal, and amend it in the online regs etc.
If they decide to deem them illegal....they can do that swiftly as well.....although, then I can see it going to court at some
point, which would leave the whole issue in "legal limbo" for a couple of years.

Anyways...enjoy it...looks like fun....and I hear they really do make uphill climbs a breeze.
I hear guys down here that run "free ride" up at Seymour that have these bikes are "helping to tow up" the other guys
who usually have to push up on foot.
So now, instead, of only getting to get 2 rides in all day, they get several in.

albravo2
09-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Sweet rig! One of the coolest setups I've seen. I've been mulling over the whole e-bike idea... I'll be looking forward to your report after the hunt. Good luck!

Laurp99
09-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Here is a closer look at the Scabbard, everything fits like a glove, nice and securely.
The rifle sits at an angle so you can get off the bike without kicking it. I also have a camo rifle cover to protect the rifle from the elements as it will be very exposed during transport.

Setting up blinds or a tree stand deep in the bush far away from others is now a lot more easier and it won't take half a day to get there! :lol:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album81/20170910_121025.jpg

Ourea
09-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Here is a closer look at the Scabbard, everything fits like a glove, nice and securely.
The rifle sits at an angle so you can get off the bike without kicking it. I also have a camo rifle cover to protect the rifle from the elements as it will be very exposed during transport.

Setting up blinds or a tree stand deep in the bush far away from others is now a lot more easier and it won't take half a day to get there! :lol:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album81/20170910_121025.jpg

Back to the point.

Nice set up
Look forward to ur actual ride in and out.....how the weight distribution, battery duration etc played out.
Uber cool post.

I have only demoed ebikes with a pack.....never with a trailer.
Hope you keep this thread alive with updates.

jtred
09-11-2017, 08:10 PM
I was contemplating something like that but they aren't allowed in the road closures, all motorized modes of transport are banned. Electric included. It is a very spectacular set up though.

Ourea
09-11-2017, 08:18 PM
I was contemplating something like that but they aren't allowed in the road closures, all motorized modes of transport are banned. Electric included. It is a very spectacular set up though.

here we go again...
ebikes that are not self propelled are 100% legal as they do not qualify as a motor vehicle.

f350ps
09-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Don't worry about dumb shit like that, tell the CO that Oreo said it was cool and yer home free! Myself, I leave the hassle to other people, never been a huge fan of gray areas or CO's that have a chip on their shoulder! Good luck, I hope you keep us updated! K

Ourea
09-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Don't worry about dumb shit like that, tell the CO that Oreo said it was cool and yer home free! Myself, I leave the hassle to other people, never been a huge fan of gray areas or CO's that have a chip on their shoulder! Good luck, I hope you keep us updated! K

Great comment. Very supportive on the subject.
Its OUREA by the way

I've met with industry and GOV on this issue.
I did this in support of business friends
If you have greater insight pass it on

Give me ur take

I am sitting here with a CO buddy of mine over beers as I hit send.

hunter1947
09-12-2017, 04:58 AM
All looks good the only thing I would change is to have the rifle on the front handlebars..

f350ps
09-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Great comment. Very supportive on the subject.
Its OUREA by the way

I've met with industry and GOV on this issue.
I did this in support of business friends
If you have greater insight pass it on

Give me ur take

I am sitting here with a CO buddy of mine over beers as I hit send.
I thought I gave you my take but I'll try again! Unless you plan on hunting with your GOV friends or your beer buddy I can see problems, way to gray of an area, FOR ME! Never been a huge fan of over zealous CO's, they have a tendency of putting a damper on an otherwise great hunting trip! K

GreatWhitePopogeebo
09-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Power assist and 500watts or less good to go.
I didn't buy that set up because he only had it 750watts at the time which bad. Sweet rig.

brian
09-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Anything under 500 watts and with pedal assist is considered an electric assist bicycle and does not need insurance or licensing. It doesn't matter if the pedal assist is next to useless and it is capable of self propulsion. Like the Daymak Beas (http://www.daymak.com/beast/)t (http://www.daymak.com/beast/), cool little thing! Most of the new generation electric bikes are running along these lines, pedal assist but capable of full self propulsion. One of the bikes I was researching was capable of 70 km/hr for a 70km range in a full suspension mountain bike setup... CRAZY! What I wonder is if this would be still be considered as legal for motorized resitricted? How would a CO know the difference between an e-bike that is capable of self propulsion vs one that is only power assist? If the goal is to restrict access then I could see a future where all motorized vehicles being banned no matter the nature of the motor. The developement of these bikes is really taking off and the regulations will need to be updated to encompass them.

Bugle M In
09-12-2017, 09:25 AM
All looks good the only thing I would change is to have the rifle on the front handlebars..

Yup, agree....that's how I would normally pack my rifle.
Easier to get a hold of it, and it is less in the way when getting on or off the bike.
It really depends on how the front forks work ...(some work reverse of what you normally see)
I did make a fancy bracket system using aluminum and Plexiglas, and then used my scabbard mount to the Plexiglas.
(unfortunately, those "uncle mike" scabbards are no longer made....cheap, BUT, works perfectly and lightweight)
Unfortunately, the aluminum I used was too thin, so welds were crap, and broke apart after a couple of days.
Used hose clamps to attach to handlebar etc.

The only drawback is that you end up with weight on one side of the handle bars, but it never gave me any problem.

I even have a buddy who managed to balance the weight across both sides of the forks/handlebars.
I liked having rifle up and down on one side, as I could still push bike thru narrow trails without getting hung up etc.

Right now I just strap the rifle on the side of bike ( I will see if I have pics of my buddies setup, as well as what I have).

The only problem with my setup right now is that it interferes a little with my peddling, but not as bad as it looks.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-12-2017, 09:41 AM
It is obvious that a clear definition is needed for ebikes, their various features and benefits, as interpreted by wildlife enforcement.
After just speaking with several parties within wildlife there is obvious confusion.

If I got stopped in a road closer on a ebike that was power assist ....I would take it to court and slam dunk that sh*t.

More road closures are a good thing. knowing that FSR density is getting right out of control.
We all want access yet wish to be conservation minded.
Ebikes are a good thing.
It promotes niche business /economic opportunities an hell.....probably puts hundreds of hunters back in the saddle that normally wouldnt take on a 5 km ride uphill.

The bike in question can self propel for up to 19 miles as per its website
Its a motorized vehicle

power assist is one thing ... this is not a pure power assist vehicle

Bugle M In
09-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Some other ways to mount rifles....(hope it shows, as I have no idea how to use imugurl???)

https://i.imgur.com/64AIiiR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WgDvvPM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Zg0TtnZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z4yXTJT.jpg

Jcaw001
12-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience comparing this bike and the volt yukon

J_T
12-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Don't mean to come across as confrontational. Great set up by the way. However, I have had this discussion quite a bit with CO's and with the people responsible for writing and interpreting the regs. I would be cautious about using an ebike in a road closure area. Just saying. I know in R4, if you bump into a CO while on an eBike, in a road closure area, I know how they will view it.

quadrakid
12-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Cool bike and setup. I know personally if i was an hour into a hike in a motorized vehicle closed area and somebody passed me on a bike and they were not pedaling i would be unhappy.These bikes make access easier which goes against the reason the closure is in place.Somebody with money to spare is going to have an advantage over everyday joe in the closed areas. Is that fair?

mod7rem
12-19-2018, 09:32 AM

I have a feeling that once a clear definition is figured out for the regulations, that these types of Ebikes will also be not allowed in motor vehicle closures for hunting. The reason I think this is because these bikes still go against the intent of the “motor vehicle closures for hunting” that was talked about by the Regulations Analyst in post #15. Really what’s the difference between running into a quad every couple kms or running into an Ebike every couple kms.

russm86
12-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Period.

Negative, motor vehicle act means nothing, by definition in the hunting regs they are still designed to be or capable of being self propelled, good luck convincing a CO or judge otherwise. The fact it CAN be human powered is irrelevant and for this to be arguable you would likely have to disconnect the battery (not just a switch), similar to disconnecting a fuel line and raising the leg on a power boat to be considered unpowered/inoperable.

Also, there are different reasons for vehicle closures, habitat sensitivity / rehabilitation and just access itself. I feel some may consider e-bikes counter productive to either of those intentions as tires can certainly be harder on the terrain than feet, you can always tell pedal bike trails (even downhill where they aren't even pedaling) over foot trails and there are some areas around Kamloops specifically prohibiting bikes as well as motor vehicles.

I've asked several COs here about it after seeing advertisements on the hunting shows, including Jim Shockey (Quiet Cat), and they have all said they would charge a person.

Lastly, I don't doubt that you've asked RCMP, but they don't know the laws from their a**. Look how many of them actually know any firearms laws, constantly hear cases of them arresting people or giving people a hard time over perfectly legal things. Heck, some of the local RCMP here were being educated on the new marijuana laws and half of them stated "they'd still arrest people" and the government agent in charge just asked "On what grounds?". RCMP also have no clue about the wildlife act or hunting regs. Again, motor vehicle act is completely irrelevant here.

wideopenthrottle
12-19-2018, 10:16 AM
there were mopeds around 40 years ago...there should be some sort of precedence based on those?????????

Bugle M In
12-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Don't mean to come across as confrontational. Great set up by the way. However, I have had this discussion quite a bit with CO's and with the people responsible for writing and interpreting the regs. I would be cautious about using an ebike in a road closure area. Just saying. I know in R4, if you bump into a CO while on an eBike, in a road closure area, I know how they will view it.

Just had a member pm me yesterday inquiring about the set up for a bike for hunting etc.
I had passed along the info about these pedal assist bikes.
Obviously, they do have a motor of some type, mechanical or electrical, to help "assist" while peddling.
I also feel that depending which CO you get, you are going to get "ticketed".
Not a risk I want to run.

What is needed, and again I have made this complaint before.
Is come to a decision on these bikes, and "put it in the REGS!" as to if they are a violation or not.
They have to keep up!, and by putting them in the regs, removes all confusion and debate.

twoSevenO
12-19-2018, 10:33 AM
- People use powered boats in electric only areas
- People use 50hp boats in 10hp restricted lakes (tunkwa)
- People take quads off road in reg 8 above 1700m
- People take quads above 1920m in reg 3

I'm sure there are already those using ebikes for accessing closed areas and i'm sure they haven't been busted either.

Bugle M In
12-19-2018, 10:39 AM

I'm sure there are already those using ebikes for accessing closed areas and i'm sure they haven't been busted either.

True, never a shortage of those people around.
Just a shortage of CO's to regulate.

twoSevenO
12-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Just had a member pm me yesterday inquiring about the set up for a bike for hunting etc.
I had passed along the info about these pedal assist bikes.
Obviously, they do have a motor of some type, mechanical or electrical, to help "assist" while peddling.
I also feel that depending which CO you get, you are going to get "ticketed".
Not a risk I want to run.

What is needed, and again I have made this complaint before.
Is come to a decision on these bikes, and "put it in the REGS!" as to if they are a violation or not.
They have to keep up!, and by putting them in the regs, removes all confusion and debate.

x2 .... They have already updated the regs to make it an offence to operate, or be in possession of a drone (while on a hunting trip) which is a fairly "new thing". No reason why next years shouldn't have an "ebike" section that explains the CO will treat an ebike just like any other motorized vehicle and all of the same rules apply to it.

HighCountryBC
12-19-2018, 11:33 AM

There is no grey area for pedal-assist bikes. The CO’s can view it however they want. As Ourea said, take it to court for a slam dunk win. I certainly know how one of the R4 CO’s who rode into a road closure (yes, on an E-bike) hunting elk with one of my partners this past season feels.

Getbent
12-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Did the OP ever connect and pack out an animal with his trailer I wonder?

LuckyIfYouGetOne
12-19-2018, 05:36 PM
OP can you post a review of how the bike withstood/performed in BC environments rain, mud, snow and packing out meat

can’t find much other than the bike being used in dry clear conditions

hawk-i
12-19-2018, 06:10 PM
E-bikes are not designed to be self propelled....they have to be peddled and the e-motor only assists the pedaling ....:)

Bugle M In
12-19-2018, 06:17 PM
E-bikes are not designed to be self propelled....they have to be peddled and the e-motor only assists the pedaling ....:)

Yup, that's the grey (gray??….get that!!lol) area.
Don't work if you don't pedal....BUT....something makes it easier!!!???

whitlers
12-19-2018, 08:12 PM
That is awesome. I want!

Rieber
12-19-2018, 08:32 PM
It's times like this that I wonder what the great philosopher Jelvis would say?

I think that's a fine looking ebike and for certain that would be a nice way to hunt some situations. I really like the concept but it wouldn't work for me.

wideopenthrottle
12-20-2018, 07:42 AM
my problem would be: where do I stash it where it wont get stolen when I park it to walk...I wont even leave a coffee cup on the roadside for pick up later

twoSevenO
12-20-2018, 09:22 AM

There are e bikes that are 100% self propelled. One example would he the ebay kits that convert your mountain bike into an e bike.

Replaces you front or rear wheel with one that has a hub motor, add battery and you got an e bike, no pedal assist required.

Laurp99
12-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get out much this year for hunting as I spent most of my vacation time up in the Yukon!

Last year I got out a fair bit with the bike and a lot of it was a learning experience! Good hunting weather is typically lousy cycling weather so having the right gear and clothing is essential, waking up in the morning when it's -10C and getting on the bike takes a bit more effort than getting into the quad. I ran into several members here that recognized my bike, I also ran into other hunters that thought I broke down and needed help. :confused:

I work with a lot of Firefighters that live to hunt and they told me that my bike would not be allowed on any road with a motorized vehicle ban so I'm not taking any chances, there are so many places to ride and hunt in BC anyways. I plan on using my eBike rig to get into more remote fishing lakes as well in 2019 besides just hunting.

The bike performed very well for what I wanted it to do, but if you ride it is only a matter of time before you have a wipeout, and having a $2500 rifle/scope mounted on the back I'm very cautious as to where and how I drop the bike and so far no damage, mounting the rifle on the handle bars as mentioned previously would have caused damage for sure and would not be safe navigating the narrower trails. I get about half of the distance while towing the trailer on gravel roads as compared to city riding so the extra batteries worked great, had to fire up the generator just the one time on a one week hunting trip to charge the batteries.

Lowering the tire pressure while on ice and snow makes a huge difference but I'll probably invest in studded tires for the extra traction. I replaced the stock chain ring on the bike to a smaller size so I lost a lot of high end speed but I gained much more torque!

EBike hunting is gaining in popularity, hopefully something will be written in the regs soon. My picture of my bike at the top of this thread is posted on his website and all over Alberta so you might see my bike for sale, I should ask for royalties. :razz:

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/84319-2/20171006_093307.jpg

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/84322-1/20171005_073615.jpg

Laurp99
12-20-2018, 10:02 AM
I have a high end U lock with a built in alarm system, it is very sensitive and very loud! This unit can be used for quads, motorcycles, bikes, etc......

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/oxford-alarm-d-max-lock/rp-prod144267

hawk-i
12-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Well you can modify a moped to not be a moped too....if it requires peddling to work then quite simply it is not self propelled, no grey/gray area at all!

There are e bikes that are 100% self propelled. One example would he the ebay kits that convert your mountain bike into an e bike.

Replaces you front or rear wheel with one that has a hub motor, add battery and you got an e bike, no pedal assist required.

hawk-i
12-20-2018, 10:48 AM
BC laws in regards to motor vehicles

""motor vehicle" means a vehicle, not run on rails, that is designed to be self-propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but does not include mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

"motor assisted cycle" means a device
(a)
to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,

(b)
on which a person may ride,

(c)
to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and

(d)
that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3);

182.1 states must be 16 to operate on hiways.

:)

russm86
12-21-2018, 09:26 AM
BC laws in regards to motor vehicles

""motor vehicle" means a vehicle, not run on rails, that is designed to be self-propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but does not include mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

"motor assisted cycle" means a device
(a)
to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,

(b)
on which a person may ride,

(c)
to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and

(d)
that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3);

182.1 states must be 16 to operate on hiways.

:)

Again, read the definition for motor vehicle in the act that actually pertains to/matters in this case, the wildlife act, not the motor vehicle act. Motor vehicle act definition has no relevance here since the wildlife act has its own specific definition.

chele
12-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Really nice set up! I was thinking on something like this so I could use it for hunting and also commuting to work (throw deer/kid on the trailer) but the price tag of the ebike was discouraging. Would love to have and atv but that will also incur in a bunch more of extra cost. For now I will keep using my legs to get to the deer and my back to carry it out.

dont forget to upload some pictures with your first kill on that trailer!

hawk-i
12-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Again, read the definition for motor vehicle in the act that actually pertains to/matters in this case, the wildlife act, not the motor vehicle act. Motor vehicle act definition has no relevance here since the wildlife act has its own specific definition.

Dude, this is from the bc wildlife act...."motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include
(a)
a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power,

(b)
a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or

(c)
a boat propelled by motorized power;

>>>>>>>>>>>it says right there , and (AND) which is designed to be (SELF PROPELLED)....E-bike assist is NOT SELF-PROPELLED! an electric bike would be self propelled.

and it says>>>> but does not include a device designed to be moved by human power...

an e-bike only moves forward as by design by human power..if human power doesn't pedal the bike it will NOT move :)

REMINGTON JIM
12-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Pretty SIMPLE there to understand whats LEGAL then ! RJ

hawk-i
12-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Pretty SIMPLE there to understand whats LEGAL then ! RJ

yes it is but there are always those that want to play the devils advocate and try to confuse things! :)

REMINGTON JIM
12-21-2018, 10:28 PM
yes it is but there are always those that want to play the devils advocate and try to confuse things! :)

Or Create Doubt or ?? to Cover there AZZE's ! :wink: RJ

hawk-i
12-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Or Create Doubt or ?? to Cover there AZZE's ! :wink: RJ

LOL....." but Judge, hawk-i said it was ok" you have to take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt!

BUT Still, word for word its pretty straight forward from my view. :)

nature girl
12-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Now that is a real nice set up you have. Does the whole unit weigh much?

Laurp99
12-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Now that is a real nice set up you have. Does the whole unit weigh much?

The bike weighs about 75lbs including battery and bike tools.

I still get a very good workout, the motor can do it all if I feel lazy so it's nice to have that option. :)

The picture below is typically how I would ride out from camp, with my .308 and .22 takedown with a day's worth of gear she weighs about 95lbs.
In this case with the fallen tree in the way, I just pick up the bike to the other side and keep moving.

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/84325-1/2017-10-23+17_00_54.jpg

Jcaw001
01-01-2019, 07:35 PM
How does the battery manage? I'm hoping to use an Ebike to climb elevation without blowing out my legs.

REMINGTON JIM
01-01-2019, 09:36 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by twoSevenO http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2059314#post2059314)

True, never a shortage of those people around.
Just a shortage of CO's to regulate.

YUP they can have all the rules and regulations and LAWs they want BUT they need to be ENFORCED ! OR THERE NOT WORTH the paper there wrote out on ! Just AZZ WIPE with out Enforcement ! jmo RJ

walks with deer
01-02-2019, 10:22 PM
op nice rig..

ebike has a motor....slam dunk you loose. everyone claiming legal in closed area.

brian
01-03-2019, 02:01 PM
"motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include

(a) a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power,

(b) a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or

(c) a boat propelled by motorized power;

Ebikes by definition are designed to be both self propelled and human propelled so they do not strictly fit the definition of a motor vehicle. If their motor is under 500 watts and they have a method of human propulsion then they are not considered motor vehicles on BC road system (even though they have a motor). They are considered bicycles and you do not need a license or insurance to operate them. Sorry no slam dunk there but lots of legal grey wiggle room that I am sure some lawyers will earn tons of money to figure out while CO's have no clue what to write tickets for.

Bugle M In
01-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Ebikes by definition are designed to be both self propelled and human propelled so they do not strictly fit the definition of a motor vehicle. If their motor is under 500 watts and they have a method of human propulsion then they are not considered motor vehicles on BC road system (even though they have a motor). They are considered bicycles and you do not need a license or insurance to operate them. Sorry no slam dunk there but lots of legal grey wiggle room that I am sure some lawyers will earn tons of money to figure out while CO's have no clue what to write tickets for.

Yup, this is correct.
And yes, a grey area.
Yes, I would love a "little assistance" getting up the hills for sure.
Last thing I want however, is to have my hunt come to an abrupt halt due to a CO writing me up for breaking the law etc.
Especially on a long drive trip where I had to dish out a lot of money to get etc.
Then there is the whole lawyer costs and court etc.
They just have to get this option squared away in the hunting regs, either allow them or ban them, but get it listed.

HighCountryBC
01-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Holy christ fellas. Ebikes that are not self-propelled are completely legal. It's been beaten to death. There is no gray area.

Be dramatic about it if you want, it won't change the fact that they are a great tool for accessing road closures and as legal as anything.

walks with deer
01-03-2019, 08:29 PM
okay buy your logic i am going to bring my standard truck into the closed area..i will push it when i can and drive it other times and i am legal...
a motor is a motor is a motor.

walks with deer
01-03-2019, 08:30 PM
you want to cheat go ahead.
if you dont get a elk might aswell pop two or three muley does or cow moose on your way home...you probably wont get caught so it must be legal.

Jcaw001
01-08-2019, 12:18 PM
But how does the battery manage!!!!!!

Stone C. Killer
01-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Walks with deer is something special eh

Elkaholic
01-08-2019, 03:16 PM
I think he needs to go smoke a dube and chill out. Way more important things in life to get riled up about.

IronNoggin
01-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Walks with deer is something special eh

Which is EXACTLY why he went on Ignore damn near a year ago. :grin:
Kind of like he doesn't exist for me.
Perfect.
Guess he's up to his same old eh? :roll:
No reason to revisit his position then.

Cheers,
Nog

russm86
01-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Yup, this is correct.
And yes, a grey area.
Yes, I would love a "little assistance" getting up the hills for sure.
Last thing I want however, is to have my hunt come to an abrupt halt due to a CO writing me up for breaking the law etc.
Especially on a long drive trip where I had to dish out a lot of money to get etc.
Then there is the whole lawyer costs and court etc.
They just have to get this option squared away in the hunting regs, either allow them or ban them, but get it listed.

Once again, all are incorrect. READ THE HUNTING REGS, NOT THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT. The hunting regs offer no distinction/definition for "power assist" and the definition of motor vehicle has no exemption for such a thing. Motor vehicles act means nothing to the hunting regs, you might as well be reading Alberta Hunting synopsis... I've had several COs tell me they would confiscate and charge, not sure what your defense is going to be?

walks with deer
01-09-2019, 09:14 PM
i can see it now...
stone c killer and iron noggin...heading up the bull river aug 30th doubling on a ebike wearing short shorts..as noggin is steering with his excalibur cocked with a shaft knocked..old stone c has his new air gun ready to shoot whatever he sees claiming its not a firearm.. so its good to use in bow season.
being any bull season about to start a young calf elk is feeding a hundred and fifty yards away.

as noggin yells its bumps are a inch and a half if we count the fur and lobs a arrow from the crossbow into the calfs rear end.
stone c sends

a arrow from his air gun and hits it between the eyes knocking it dead.
than the co rolls up.

op great rig man i have daydreamed of building one out good for you...
theres probably quite the market for a outfitted bike like that..