PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning goat hide for tanning

Steelpulse
09-08-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm in the middle of fleshing and then salting but before salting should I give the coat a wash. It died in wet sand and is grey. Shouldn't gently hose and then air dry then salt tomorrow. It let tanner deal with

300rum700
09-08-2017, 08:12 PM
I was told by my taxerdermy buddy that goat hair isn't porous and won't stain easily. I've washed fresh goat capes in rivers and let them dry but conditions allowed for cool drying.

Bear Chaser
09-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Never done a goat hide myself but sand should not stain the hair. Shake it out and then get salt on it asap.

S.W.A.T.
09-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Do not salt if your going to freeze. If you have to freeze don't salt just freeze ASAP

sawmill
09-08-2017, 09:34 PM
^^^^^ This. Salt stops the hide from freezing. It can rot over time in your freezer.

Rupert Retired
09-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Since you are posting, then I imagine you are back home. In that case, don't salt, just freeze. Don't worry about cleaning or fleshing it, the taxidermist will do that. Salting before freezing will impede the freezing process. Salt freezes at a much lower temperature, and so you don't want to do that. In addition, if you are going to store it in your freezer for a while before getting it to your taxidermist, then make sure it is open in the middle, ie don't have it rolled into a tight ball, allow it to freeze throughout evenly.

If you were up the mountain and were worrying about when you were going to get out, then for sure, flesh it and salt it. I have also re-used salt by scraping it off the hide and drying it in the sun, once it becomes wet on the cape. But, best to take lots of salt, then you won't have that problem. I have washed the cape off in streams to get the blood off, but that just makes them really wet and heavy, and so, takes more time to dry. In the mountains, it depends on how many days until you get out. You may have to turn the ears and the lips if it is more than 3 days.

monasheemountainman
09-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Since you are posting, then I imagine you are back home. In that case, don't salt, just freeze. Don't worry about cleaning or fleshing it, the taxidermist will do that. Salting before freezing will impede the freezing process. Salt freezes at a much lower temperature, and so you don't want to do that. In addition, if you are going to store it in your freezer for a while before getting it to your taxidermist, then make sure it is open in the middle, ie don't have it rolled into a tight ball, allow it to freeze throughout evenly.

If you were up the mountain and were worrying about when you were going to get out, then for sure, flesh it and salt it. I have also re-used salt by scraping it off the hide and drying it in the sun, once it becomes wet on the cape. But, best to take lots of salt, then you won't have that problem. I have washed the cape off in streams to get the blood off, but that just makes them really wet and heavy, and so, takes more time to dry. In the mountains, it depends on how many days until you get out. You may have to turn the ears and the lips if it is more than 3 days.

what he said, also post pics and story please!!

Steelpulse
09-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Who wants to recommend taxi? My guy says he wants fleshed and salted first? So won't take yet

Rupert Retired
09-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Well, Steelpulse, then I would freeze your cape and do a real good search for a good "taxi" or Taxidermist. Put that guy on hold. Sounds to me like your guy is asking too much, and in that case, is likely not knowing what he is doing himself. There are some awesome taxidermists in this Province. I see from your profile you are from Kamloops, so ask at the local Wholesales Sports, or look on-line, get some reviews. A trophy like that is usually a once in a lifetime (possibly twice, if you are a sucker like me), but for sure you don't want to screw this up.

Steelpulse
09-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Freezing in am. I've fleshed 90% may give a wash tonight dry tomorrow and freeze

Rupert Retired
09-08-2017, 10:36 PM
OK, freeze is the most important. And now, since we have all helped you, you owe us some pics!!

Steelpulse
09-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Couple photos up got lots will filter through tomorrow. I have duck opener and 4x season to focus on a velvet mile now

Rackmastr
09-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Sand and dirt won't stain as bad as blood. Keeping it cool is more important but a good cold wash on a freshly killed goat hide isn't a bad idea either. Then fold it up and freeze it as suggested. Most taxis will take things fresh or frozen, surprised yours only wants it fleshed and salted. If you were closer I'd tell you to swing it over and have a look at some of my work but likely something closer to you that will work good

evhunter
09-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Just got a clients mtn goat cape back from the tanner. It was salted, then frozen... for 17 years!! Came back, tanned as if it was just shot. Sometimes, you get lucky... The tanner couldn't believe it was that old...

Wild Images
09-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Just got a clients mtn goat cape back from the tanner. It was salted, then frozen... for 17 years!! Came back, tanned as if it was just shot. Sometimes, you get lucky... The tanner couldn't believe it was that old...

I did a Dall that was salted and frozen for 10 years !!

But some people love to give advice with little or no knowledge so .........

09-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Pops used to do his own taxidermy, even my Gma, pops said he would mount my first buck. Well, it got thrown into a salt, alum brine mix of some kind, and sat, and sat for years and years. Home made paper mold waiting to be covered and finished. Years and years went by, at least 15, took it to my taxi to finish, he couldn't believe it! It graces my man cave to this day...... All be it with some creases in the hair, just makes it look tougher haha. The Taxi wanted that old recipe from the 60s it apparently cured the cape well. :mrgreen: