PDA

View Full Version : Shane Mahoney speaks about the grizzly ban and the state of hunting in today's world

Greenthumbed
09-07-2017, 09:39 PM
This is an excellent podcast interview with Shane Mahoney. Shane is a deep thinker and an excellent speaker. He has some powerful things to say on this topic and is very thought provoking.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/beyond-the-kill/id1059853765?mt=2&i=1000391736779

Beyond the Kill: episode 60 "Brave new world with Shane Mahoney"

Rob Chipman
09-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tip towards that podcast. Looks good.

Drillbit
09-07-2017, 10:58 PM
I'm decent with a 'puter but couldn't make it work.

Can you just post the actual podcast?

Seeker
09-08-2017, 12:24 AM
Interesting listen....thanks for the lead. How is the Grizzly hunting ban being accepted in Golden. During my time there, hunting was a major part of the cultural fabric. Mind you those were the days when the town was much more blue collar in nature. With the mills closing and the transition to eco tourism, I would be curious to hear what is felt now. I have a friend who contacted me that also lived in Golden and is now in Saskatchewan and he indicated that pigs would fly before such a thing was passed there. He claims ~70% of the population come from hunting ancestry and hunt as a way of providing for their families. I honestly believe the disconnect between human and nature is affecting decisions here in BC in a negative way. I also agree with Shane in that we need new ways to protect our lifestyle and to counter such "fanatical" organizations.

buckshot
09-08-2017, 04:39 AM
Pigs don't only fly here in BC, they run for office!

two-feet
09-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Shane Mahoney is an excellent and powerful advocate for hunting based conservation. I look forward to listening.

skibum
09-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Mahoney is too logical and well thought for the nuts on both sides of the debate.

Eva_Hunts
09-08-2017, 10:15 AM
excellent share!

kbob
09-08-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm decent with a 'puter but couldn't make it work.

Can you just post the actual podcast?

Found it because I refuse to use anything Apple:

https://journalofmountainhunting.com/2017/09/episode60/

Drillbit
09-08-2017, 12:19 PM
That's probably why then,

Thanks for the link!

Greenthumbed
09-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Interesting listen....thanks for the lead. How is the Grizzly hunting ban being accepted in Golden. During my time there, hunting was a major part of the cultural fabric. Mind you those were the days when the town was much more blue collar in nature. With the mills closing and the transition to eco tourism, I would be curious to hear what is felt now. I have a friend who contacted me that also lived in Golden and is now in Saskatchewan and he indicated that pigs would fly before such a thing was passed there. He claims ~70% of the population come from hunting ancestry and hunt as a way of providing for their families. I honestly believe the disconnect between human and nature is affecting decisions here in BC in a negative way. I also agree with Shane in that we need new ways to protect our lifestyle and to counter such "fanatical" organizations.
The grizzly hunt ban is not stirring up much conversation in Golden. When I bring it up in conversation most say it doesn't effect them either way. All of the hunters I've spoke to about the ban have said they have no personal interest in hunting grizzly anyway, myself included. Most think the retention of the edible parts detail of the ban is a good idea and they think leaving the skull, claws and hide behind is rediculous. As do I.
I'm sure the guide outfitters are right pissed off about the ban, but that is understandable. I haven't spoke with them though.
Golden is a community that is very intune with the outdoors. Whether it hiking, biking, skiing, mountaineering, rock climbing, paragliding, fishing or hunting. There is a lot of folks getting out and being active and there are many that participate in all the above pursuits.
What I do hear people talking about, hunters and non hunters alike is the very obvious lack of game. Many remember herds of elk in the valley that just aren't around anymore. People claim that they haven't seen a moose in year, myself included. Populations of these species are way down in the last decade. There are a lot of black bears and whitetail deer. People talk about lots of wolves in the area, but I haven't seen one in years. I've seen sign but not an actual wolf.
I don't know exactly why the numbers of animals are low and getting lower but I have my theories. What I do know is I would like to see these animals come back. Not sure if it will happen though.

09-08-2017, 09:45 PM
The grizzly hunt ban is not stirring up much conversation in Golden. When I bring it up in conversation most say it doesn't effect them either way. All of the hunters I've spoke to about the ban have said they have no personal interest in hunting grizzly anyway, myself included. Most think the retention of the edible parts detail of the ban is a good idea and they think leaving the skull, claws and hide behind is rediculous. As do I.
I'm sure the guide outfitters are right pissed off about the ban, but that is understandable. I haven't spoke with them though.
Golden is a community that is very intune with the outdoors. Whether it hiking, biking, skiing, mountaineering, rock climbing, paragliding, fishing or hunting. There is a lot of folks getting out and being active and there are many that participate in all the above pursuits.
What I do hear people talking about, hunters and non hunters alike is the very obvious lack of game. Many remember herds of elk in the valley that just aren't around anymore. People claim that they haven't seen a moose in year, myself included. Populations of these species are way down in the last decade. There are a lot of black bears and whitetail deer. People talk about lots of wolves in the area, but I haven't seen one in years. I've seen sign but not an actual wolf.
I don't know exactly why the numbers of animals are low and getting lower but I have my theories. What I do know is I would like to see these animals come back. Not sure if it will happen though.

Grizzlies kill lots of elk calves. You won't see an increase in elk numbers with a reduced grizzly harvest

Rob Chipman
09-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Listened to the podcast. It was very good. Thanks for pointing to it. Lots of good discussions of conservation (hard science nuts and bolts talk) starting to come up on more and more podcasts. Newberg, Rinella and now JMH. Thanks for highlighting this one.