PDA

View Full Version : Grandby River Whitetail Count

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Granby River Deer Count 2017

On August 31, 2017, Wildlife Biologists conducted a spotlight ground count from a vehicle of white-tailed deer along the Granby River north of Grand Forks. The survey followed the route established in 1999, starting at the junction of the Granby Rd and Valley Heights Dr travelling north up the east side of the Granby River crossing over the Granby River onto the Brown Ck bridge, then down the west side to Hardy Mtn road and over Hardy Mtn terminating at the junction of Reservoir and Canning Rd (Figure 1).

The survey started at 7:58 pm and ended at 10:25pm with the weather mild and clear. This year’s count represents the 12th count over a 13 year period. We observed 222 white-tailed deer while spotlighting agricultural fields and riparian areas. The 2017 count was higher than the previous years but was within normal range for the survey (Table 1).

Table 1: The total count of white-tailed deer observed along the Granby River north of Grand Forks between 1999 and 2017.

Historic Counts:

Year Count
1999 234
2004 204
2005 163
2006 140
2007 115
2008 146
2009 134
2010 166
2011 143
2012 132
2013 146
2014 156
2016 121
2017 222

Chrispryn
09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Thats an impressive increase. Is that conincidence or are numbers actually rising?

HarryToolips
09-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Healthy numbers for that smaller area...one only has to drive through Grand Forks to see how whitetails will overpopulate an area when left relatively unchecked..it would be nice if they opened up some bow hunting zones in that town..

russm86
09-06-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't know where this is but what kind of km distance is it that they are driving?

DeepJeep
09-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Could they be at the valley bottom due to fires???

Onesock
09-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Looks like the population is back to normal after a 20 year down turn. If the population was at 350 that would be an impressive increase.

Seeker
09-06-2017, 01:01 PM
All the count tells us is that the number in the area is higher than normal. The immediate thought is the numbers are great and increasing. Based on the year I am hesitant to believe that. I think DeepJeep has a great point; the fields along the valley bottom are most likely irrigated and therefore providing an area of more plentiful feed and water resulting in deer moving down to the food source. Could be other reasons. The counts are a great tool, but I think this years results need to be considered with a lot of caution and the long term numbers considered rather than one abnormal year. A very important reason to continue the counts. Nothing is normal in the woods this summer.

palmer
09-06-2017, 01:04 PM
The problem with the count is it is done on valley bottom farmers fields. No hunting allowed on almost 100% of the area. With the very dry summer deer were close to the river for water. You will not find numbers as healthy once leaving the no hunting valley bottoms.

Bugle M In
09-06-2017, 01:31 PM
The problem with the count is it is done on valley bottom farmers fields. No hunting allowed on almost 100% of the area. With the very dry summer deer were close to the river for water. You will not find numbers as healthy once leaving the no hunting valley bottoms.

good point....

J_T
09-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Annual counts are based on repeatability. Do the same count every year, year after year, in the same location, with the same methods. It isn't about finding animals on Crown vs private or a huntable population vs a relatively protected population. The count is about wildlife and the health/numbers in a population. Yes, these counts do have dependencies on other criteria, heat, water, forage quality. So they are only a guide, but counting more animals is a good sign.

longwalk
09-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Could they be at the valley bottom due to fires???
No fires currently further up the Granby. Hasn't been any this year.

DeepJeep
09-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Fire # N61615
1012 hectares. close to granby provincial park

However, what I meant was that fires/smoke may have pushed animals out of their ordinary areas.

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Grandby Park isn't a big WT area. More mule deer summer range up there.

As JT said, the count is a guide to population levels, and more is better.

Certainly, when we combine the results of this count with the Christian Valley count, we can see that these two areas both show no adverse effects from having a GOS antlerless season.

If we want even more deer, we must focus on habitat, and not on hunting regulations.

Rupert Retired
09-06-2017, 03:50 PM
All kinds of problems interpreting the results, and drawing any conclusions at all. First, if they are done all on the same date, then that alone will skew them, since deer feeding behavior is influenced by the moon phase (or so I have read), and the same date from year to year will have different moon phases, and different weather of course, which could also influence counts. Also, from other studies such as these (on Vancouver Island) they determined that on any given night, about 1/3 of the deer population was visible in the slashes. Maybe these counts should start being done for 3 consecutive nights? If money permits that is. Also, year to year counts will probably be influenced by the amount of irrigated arable land, and how it varies during the study period over that many years. Nevertheless, some interesting numbers, but survey design needs work for sure (like reviewed maybe). Might want to publish the disclaimer from the local deer biologist, and what he or she takes away from this study, it is likely available upon request. I would be hugely interested in seeing that! They obviously think it is worthwhile, since they keep doing it!

Fisher-Dude
09-06-2017, 04:00 PM
It doesn't matter if 2/3rds are hiding in the trees.

If you only count 1/3rd of the deer every year, you establish reliable trends that help you monitor population fluctuations.

It's not a deer inventory, it's a deer population trend analysis.

Darksith
09-06-2017, 04:46 PM
drought conditions will push the animals into agriculture areas...there are a lot of factors to justify why the big jump...I would hesitate to think there was a huge population increase from last year

longwalk
09-06-2017, 05:03 PM
drought conditions will push the animals into agriculture areas...there are a lot of factors to justify why the big jump...I would hesitate to think there was a huge population increase from last year
Deer will hit hayfields at night irrespective of conditions. I spent close to 10 days in the upper Granby earlier in the summer. Saw deer in the hayfields on my way in and out then also. Growing up an hour or so east of there we always had big herds of mule deer in our hayfields. Once the hay was off and the stubble browned the deer disappeared. The population of mule deer didn't decline come late august, they just moved on to greener pastures.

I think if a population survey is done consistently year to year at the same time the results will be indicative of the overall population trend.

Darksith
09-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Deer will hit hayfields at night irrespective of conditions. I spent close to 10 days in the upper Granby earlier in the summer. Saw deer in the hayfields on my way in and out then also. Growing up an hour or so east of there we always had big herds of mule deer in our hayfields. Once the hay was off and the stubble browned the deer disappeared. The population of mule deer didn't decline come late august, they just moved on to greener pastures.

I think if a population survey is done consistently year to year at the same time the results will be indicative of the overall population trend.

so you are saying then that the deer population as per the survey doubled in 12 months? You are dreaming

VFX_man
09-06-2017, 05:25 PM
so you are saying then that the deer population as per the survey doubled in 12 months? You are dreaming

Interesting thing I have noticed on the WT fawns that my trail camera is capturing -- there is at least 2 sets of WT twins [50 km apart]. And have seen this trend over the past few years in this area.

Darksith
09-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Interesting thing I have noticed on the WT fawns that my trail camera is capturing -- there is at least 2 sets of WT twins [50 km apart]. And have seen this trend over the past few years in this area.

yeah but a population won't double from birthrates...drought will have an effect on animals, they will move to find food. Yes whitetail generally are a localized animal. If it was, they would of indicated that there was a huge population increase but they didn't and for good reason.

Whonnock Boy
09-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Given optimum conditions, whitetails can easily double their populations year over year. Hell, first year fawns can be bred in the fall provided they reach the required weight, and they can even have twins!

Bugle M In
09-06-2017, 06:40 PM
It is obviously a good sign....it could have been the other way folks!
That being said, one could argue that this year was hot and very dry, especially by that time of the year (aug 31)
Wait till next year I suppose (if conditions are more the norm....or not).
But again, regardless, it is a positive.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2017, 06:48 PM
And my daughter and I returned home from hunting an area that we've hunted for 5 consecutive years. Only saw 1/10 the deer we usually see. Doubt the population has collapsed but rather much different conditions has resulted in the deer using different habitats.

Still, trend numbers has its use.