PDA

View Full Version : Stony lake area in the Cariboo

tylerdcoleman
09-04-2017, 06:29 AM
So I wasn't fortunate enough to draw any leh tags this year and I am now forced to hunt harder. 8) I am interested in knowing if any one has had any experiance or information about hunting in the stoney lake area north of Quesnel and east of Dunkley saw mill. the regs state that 6 point bull elk are open as well as spike bull moose. I'm not foolish enough to think that any of these are out there in any major abundance but I do know someone who took a bull elk form there recently. I am just looking for suggested locations to start from and any info or ideas to help, also I'm planning on doing day trips on the 11th 12th and 13th of this month. and any other times i can get off from work during the season. I am always happy to go solo but I'm always interested in making new friends. just throwing it out there thanks. I've only been in the region for a couple years now so I'm still learning the area. by the way this forum and website is great.

Ty.

tylerdcoleman
09-04-2017, 08:29 AM
yes thank you. "you will never see them sitting at home" excellent.

scuba
09-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Bull are starting to make sone noise in that area but yes in isolated areas.

camo-redneck
09-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Hey ty , p/m me your phone number and il give you a call. I've spent some time in the area... Closer to the 2400 road

Max Ranger
09-04-2017, 11:39 AM
I took a drive out there last Friday, Sept. 1st.- opening day for 4point mulie bucks in 5-15 and black bear and opening day for grouse in 7-6. First time out there in 20 years. Main road in-2400 road was busy with logging trucks and VERY DUSTY! Need a 2 way radio to travel this road safely. Cut off to Stoney at 2447 onto 100 rd. 13 kms of very rough, road to Stony lk. east campsite. Wanted to drive out to Bowron river and return through wells-Barkerville hwy. but side roads are almost impassible to p.u. trucks-most are de-activated-need a quad or snowmobile and a chainsaw to cut deadfall trees. All roads are grown in thick with alder and willow. Very hard to see anything from roads. Travelled out on 700 rd. to Dunkley then home on hwy.97.
Stopped at 2 other rec. sites on Stoney lk. Access rds. are very rough- unmaintained. Fishing was apparently still good according to the few people camped there. My count for the day: 1 rabbit and 2 small grouse. All ran off road into thick brush before I could even step on brakes. Very disappointing.
It's true, there are deer, moose, elk and bear in that area and I have seen them all there in the past but-- I will not waste my time going back in there to hunt again. The area has changed too much for my liking.

xcaribooer
09-05-2017, 12:30 PM
thick country , pretty tough to see more than a few feet in the bush, quite a few grizz around too..no shortage of hunters either, the only way I will hunt that area again is if I have a bull(moose) draw and can call them into a cut-block or road access. beautiful area though

tylerdcoleman
09-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Excellent thanks guys

Jagermeister
09-05-2017, 09:40 PM
I know that the scrub has grown up, but I would hunt the TFL 15 area between 97 and the Fraser. On the other hand, you could go way to the east off 16 and hunt high.

tylerdcoleman
09-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Awesome thanks

b.c hunter 88
09-10-2017, 06:28 PM
been dry up there but rained hard Friday working off the 500 road area leave from dunkley radio is key lots of logging right now. been seeing allot of people out there.