PDA

View Full Version : 3 years of unsuccessful bow hunts

Rayne
09-03-2017, 10:10 PM
So went back out again this long weekend ended up cutting it short due to heat and lack of animal movement.
When it's this hot, what does one have to change tactics wise in order to see deer? We seen 5 deer in two days and 1 was still in its full summer coat.All deer were seen driving. We hunted alpine, subalpine and timber still nothing. Granted it was pretty noisy. So my questions are where do they go in the heat? What elevation is usually most productive?
Thanks hbc

Whonnock Boy
09-03-2017, 10:56 PM
Depends.... If not disturbed they can be anywhere, at any time of the day. Habitat plays a major role.

brian
09-03-2017, 11:20 PM
When it is this hot a lot of deer will do what a lot of us would do, lay up in the shade until it cools off. But I have seen them around mid day in the blazing sun, just not as many. So obviously some of them don't mind the heat. But dry crunchy forests makes for miserable still hunting. Everything will know you are around long before you get there. I like to find stand sites when it is this dry in the early season and plan to be on them for a couple of hours in evening until dark. That way I can hear them well and they won't hear me. Only pain is trying to remain still while coping with the mosquitoes.

Big Lew
09-04-2017, 06:43 AM
I find an area that range cattle have used where their trails follow the edges
of logging slashes, especially if there are several little gullies and shady fingers
extending into the forest. There should still be tender eats for the deer in those
shady spots so there's a chance you can catch them out at daybreak or just before
night. By wearing soft footwear,, being careful, and following those cattle trails,
you have a sporting chance of getting close enough. Some have good luck just
finding a comfortable spot and waiting for animals to show up because they like to
use those trails as well.

604Stalker
09-04-2017, 05:02 PM
We had to move spots 3 times this weekend to actually find deer with the heat and smoke they are really hunkered down basically only moving out of thick timber when its cool had a opportunity but couldnt close the last 10 yards that I needed to get a shot frusturating but if your up eairly enough and on the edge of cut blocks eventually you will get a chance.

Wild one
09-04-2017, 05:07 PM
3 years unsuccessful bow hunting

how many days?

do you bow hunt beyond early season?

tactics?

Species your targeting?

Lots of factors can come into play. If you are bow hunting the same way you rifle hunt could be part of it

Dannybuoy
09-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Call/rattle them in .... even if not in the run both whitetail and mulies are very curious and as long as they don't smell you ...Cha ching !

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
09-04-2017, 07:16 PM
I would not expect to get a deer every year. Being unsuccessful for only 3 years isn't a big deal, its a learning experience. Your rewards will be bigger the more time you put in. I bow hunt every year and its a neat feeling to arrow an animal and bring it home. Only hunted the first 10 days last year and didn't bring an animal home but it was one of my best seasons so far in 48 years of hunting. So many "almost" opportunities every day. Extremely rewarding to be offered those opportunities. Also nice to live in Elkford where hunting is 10 minutes away.

j270wsm
09-04-2017, 07:24 PM
10min.......Mickey your driving too far.....lol

Rayne
09-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I have gotten my deer every year so far during rifle season. One was with a bow in region 2 a couple years ago on November 11. But I can never seem to close the deal during early bow season. I typically get up early walk edges of cuts or up old quad trails in hopes to catch them. But I have no understanding of mule deer habits which I feel is the biggest part. I know they like to be up high this time of year but where do you look for them to be bedded? Are they maybe at a lower elevation? They have a preferred side of the mountain? Or are they just completely nocturnal? And with it being so dry and noisy it all comes down to luck

Big Lew
09-04-2017, 07:46 PM
One of the basic things to look for when checking an area out is the availability
of tender shoots, stalks and leaf buds. If everything seems burnt, already browsed
down, and only mature, then look elsewhere. Look for shaded areas with still some
moisture oozing out of the ground and you should find recent tracks etc. if there are
any deer in that area.

brian
09-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Funny thing, I have never looked for availability of forage material. I have always looked for fresh sign. Fresh browse, fresh scat, fresh tracks, fresh rubs. If you find that then you know that the deer have been using the area recently ande probably will again soon. Often with blacktails, especially early season blacktails there will be more browse available to them than they can eat. So they can afford to be very choosey about where they eat. You could sit over an ideal food source all day and see nothing because most of the deer are 400 meters away munching down on something else.

Big Lew
09-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Funny thing, I have never looked for availability of forage material. I have always looked for fresh sign. Fresh browse, fresh scat, fresh tracks, fresh rubs. If you find that then you know that the deer have been using the area recently ande probably will again soon. Often with blacktails, especially early season blacktails there will be more browse available to them than they can eat. So they can afford to be very choosey about where they eat. You could sit over an ideal food source all day and see nothing because most of the deer are 400 meters away munching down on something else.

It's a lot different in the Interior, Okanagan, and Kootenays which is subject to longer periods
of intense heat, and now the extensive bug kill logging than the Island normally sees.

180grainer
09-04-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm not a bow hunter but I would suspect using tactics that enable you to sit tight and have the deer come to you might be best for a beginner. Rattling, sitting in a tree stand etc.

howa1500
09-04-2017, 10:36 PM
In the heat, I like to find shaded draws and valleys with water. Usually drops the temp upwards of 10 degrees.
They will often hunker down on those areas

Rayne
09-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I spent the weekend in region 8. Found a few rubs but no fresh sign anywhere. I hunted shaded draws and ravines. Only ever seen deer on the north east side of mountains. I'm assuming because it stayed shaded longer in the am. Well hopefully rifle season yields some better hunts.

brian
09-05-2017, 07:55 AM
It's a lot different in the Interior, Okanagan, and Kootenays which is subject to longer periods
of intense heat, and now the extensive bug kill logging than the Island normally sees.

That makes a lot of sense, I have spent most of my time hunting somewhere near the coast in very different conditions from the interior. Just goes to show how important local knowledge is.

What 180 grainer says makes a lot of sense. But the key for short range weaponry is you have sit somewhere that will put you in range of the animals. Seems obvious I know but it bears repeating. I usually sit when it is dry and move in thick stuff when it is wet.

frankthedog
09-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Find some apple trees in the morning and shake em'. Come back in the afternoon and sit till' dark.

Wrj
09-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Find some apple trees in the morning and shake em'. Come back in the afternoon and sit till' dark.

Tried that, my neighbor wasn't impressed! :wink:

Wild one
09-05-2017, 09:07 AM
For early season archery the easiest deer for a novice bow hunters are first year bucks 2 points/spikes. These are often still with the does. A lot of times they can be found down low. Early season think about where you would go to stay cool and the need to stay hydrated.

Ridge systems near water provide cooler areas and hydration. There is often vegetation that is more lush and not dried out. Often river valleys have cool breeze as well

The real key is gaining knowledge of the species and area your hunting.

The Hermit
09-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Tree stands are your friend! Find a good trail, take ten pounds of apples with you and crush them about 10 - 15 yards from your tree. Be in your tree 45min before dawn... Or by 4:30pm and wait. Take your phone, or a book and relax, sleep (no snoring), tree stands are killing machines! Your scent is mostly up and away and if you sit quietly for a few days it is almost a sure thing.