PDA

View Full Version : First bow hunt

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Well, as we know it is super hot and crunchy. Not much moving around as far as we could tell. We spent a lot of time (like 10am-6pm) hiding under tarps at camp. South facing exposure, closest creek able 1.5km. We can HEAR if anything the size of squirrel moves within a couple hundred yards. Lots of movement at night but very little during the day, minus the squirrels fighting (one jumped on caddisgirls head lol) ... lots of wasps and skeeters too.

It seemed like a first light last show. Second morning we could hear some deer buggering off where we went to set up for first light. Last light that evening we came up on a big doe with mostly mule genetics. Didn't see hear until we were about 7 yards. Looked close but nothing up top. She was bobbing her head checking us out and started to go all stiff so I gave her a "meh" and stomped around crunching my feet which set her at ease and she went back to feeding while we looked to see if there were other deer. It was pretty cool she didn't snort or stomp.

Saw four grouse. First two gave me the slip before I could get ready. Darn shame as they were big. Second one looked like a dang turkey.

Came up on another grouse and had a crack at it. Miss. Went to see where it went and realized there was a bunch of them but mostly small. Saw another decent sized one and went for it. Another miss. I didn't realize how tough those guys are to shoot with a bow at 10-15 yards. They hear the arrow and either duck down or go all tall and skinny.

So there we have it. My first bow hunt. Came home a day early to sit in front of the AC.

Knute
09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
No meat but still a great day out!

Wild one
09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Grouse are not dodging your arrow you just missed. But hey it feels better if we can blame animals and give them super powers lol

All good we all miss. I have also found some people are less accurate on live targets well other improve

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 01:22 PM
We are 100% certain one went tall and skinny like birds do when they are startled and the other flinched and went down. Both reacted before the arrow reached them. I can't tell for certain if I would have hit either. caddisgirl says I would have but maybe she just wants me to feel better :D

Most animals react when startled. Deer crunch down which is common enough I read a fair bit of debate on whether or not to always aim low to anticipate the deers reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RvtnCqX6E&list=PL-rtLON_MVhOmalb_VHxvWQ-VjeAczpCz&index=5

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 01:33 PM
I think there are a few grouse that react the same way. 3:35 in this video for sure. Our first one did the tall and skinny thing and second one did this (3:35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1cZqhoeFA

Wild one
09-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Can't even count how many grouse I have killed with a bow and have yet to have one doge my arrow

moved just before the shot I have had happen. This usually happens when grouse are being all twitchy before you shoot

I think Caddis girl is just trying to be nice and make you feel better lmao

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Can't even count how many grouse I have killed with a bow and have yet to have one doge my arrow

moved just before the shot I have had happen. This usually happens when grouse are being all twitchy before you shoot

I think Caddis girl is just trying to be nice and make you feel better lmao

I wouldn't call it dodging the arrow, but rather reacting to the noise. I'll try it a few more times if given the opportunity and see what happens. Not really cost effective, but once I get my first bow grouse I am going to pretend the meat paid for all the arrows. $30/lb lol

greybark
09-03-2017, 01:44 PM
caddisguy , if you wish give me a call on furthering your archery /bowhunting experience . 604 824 1493 . Cheers

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
caddisguy , if you wish give me a call on furthering your archery /bowhunting experience . 604 824 1493 . Cheers

That would be awesome greybark. We are going to get membership at Semiahmoo. Maybe we can meet up there or another local range. It would be awesome to have some coaching. I can tell my new interest in archery is going to extend far beyond just hunting and this is going to be a year round hobby.

Wild one
09-03-2017, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't call it dodging the arrow, but rather reacting to the noise. I'll try it a few more times if given the opportunity and see what happens. Not really cost effective, but once I get my first bow grouse I am going to pretend the meat paid for all the arrows. $30/lb lol

Try a snaro head gives you a 4-5 inch spread with the wire loops. If you cant kill a grouse with one it's not the flinching

The most common thing I have seen is when it comes to a live target some drop their arm a little looking for the arrow

Too bad your not closer or I would offer to take you grouse hunting

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Try a snaro head gives you a 4-5 inch spread with the wire loops. If you cant kill a grouse with one it's not the flinching

The most common thing I have seen is when it comes to a live target some drop their arm a little looking for the arrow

Too bad your not closer or I would offer to take you grouse hunting

Hmm thanks I will check it out! The tips I was using were small game tips with little springy prongs that in theory is supposed to slow down the arrow on impact and give me a better change of recovering and arrow. Somehow I am skeptical but we'll see what happens when I hit one lol

It sure would be nice to hunt somewhere other than Region 2 for grouse (or for anything other than BT's and bears) I have hunted in Region 5 so I know what it "can" be like. Having 4 decent chances 2 chances to actually shoot in Region 2 is a pretty decent day. The birds here are really spooky and it's tough to get close most of the time. Usually I am driving when I see them and I find it's only about 1/8 or so that will let me stop, get out, grab gun/bow, load/draw, shoot. Even walking on gravel it's pretty tough.

greybark
09-03-2017, 02:26 PM
That would be awesome greybark. We are going to get membership at Semiahmoo. Maybe we can meet up there or another local range. It would be awesome to have some coaching. I can tell my new interest in archery is going to extend far beyond just hunting and this is going to be a year round hobby.

You and or Caddisgirl available for Wed (1600 hrs] for a 3-D intro at Abbotsford . Cheers

Wild one
09-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I am in region 6 on good years grouse are everywhere bad years you have to know pockets. Dumb spruce are good bow targets lol

I have tried blunts, judo, shockers, snoros, old broad heads, and a bunch of other heads along with modified field points. Snaro is the best I have found and second voice old broad heads. Like I mentioned before the only trick to saving arrows is picking you shots so you have a back drop. I have grouse arrows that are 10+ years old with judo heads rusted in that have killed grouse till I tore of a fletch lol

I am a firm believer small game hunting with a bow improves accuracy big time when it comes to hunting. Teaches you to aim small, line up your shots fast, and adjust to targets that move. I credit my ability to capitalize on split second shots to small game bow hunting. I have cut the head off many grouse with old broad heads lol

Keep at and in time you will rarely miss a grouse

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 02:54 PM
You and or Caddisgirl available for Wed (1600 hrs] for a 3-D intro at Abbotsford . Cheers

Weekdays I usually get home around 7pm (live in Langley but work downtown) ... then most we usually take off Friday after work to go hunting.

I will only be able to hit ranges after 7:30 on weekdays (assuming range is within a half hour) or maybe I can duck out from work a little early to shave off another hour. Other than, just Saturdays when we aren't hunting or Sundays in the afternoon when we get home.

Any ideas for the best range to get a membership with our hours in mind?

greybark
09-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Weekdays I usually get home around 7pm (live in Langley but work downtown) ... then most we usually take off Friday after work to go hunting.

I will only be able to hit ranges after 7:30 on weekdays (assuming range is within a half hour) or maybe I can duck out from work a little early to shave off another hour. Other than, just Saturdays when we aren't hunting or Sundays in the afternoon when we get home.

Any ideas for the best range to get a membership with our hours in mind?

OK , how about 0730 hrs week-ends ? Semiahoo is a good club for you !