PDA

View Full Version : Heather's Choice Meals

Muskydawg
09-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has had experience ordering HC meals? Looking to try some, I'm sure they are better than MH. What is it like getting them shipped to Canada, and what does the cost end up being? How long did it take?

Thanks!

Rackmastr
09-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Everyone I know who has used them hates the taste and can hardly get them down.

Wild one
09-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Everyone I know who has used them hates the taste and can hardly get them down.

Sounds tasty lmao

Muskydawg
09-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Good to know! Maybe it isn't worth the effort. I just like the idea that the ingredients list is real food! No tetrobinanosiblah blah blah stuff.

I bought a dehydrator this year. I'm to busy to figure it out, and the things I have tried I pretty much ruined...

Rhyno
09-02-2017, 12:44 PM
I bought a couple for the sheep hunt I just returned on, could just barely choke down the smoked salmon chowder and left a terrible taste, I put the other Heather's Choice I had to the back of the line up and thankfully didn't have to eat it...I already gave it away otherwise I would have sent it to you to try.

My hunting bud had the breakfasts, which he said were okay but expensive....the only plus in my mind is the package size......if you do still want to try I suggest you eat one first...I removed myself from there mailing list.

Dale
09-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Absolutely disgusting!!!!!!!

Beachcomber
09-02-2017, 05:10 PM
I bought a dehydrator this year. I'm to busy to figure it out, and the things I have tried I pretty much ruined...

I used a dehydrator I bought recently for my meals on a week long canoe trip earlier this summer. I dehydrated a turkey chilli and a bolognese sauce as well as some apples and other stuff. Way better than MH as far as I am concerned. Also given I was feeding 5 the thing has pretty much paid for itself given what MH etc costs. There are some good sites if you are struggling such as this http://www.backpackingchef.com/. Start with something easy like fruit and get the hang of it. Lots of other resources out there online too.

Looking forward to making duck/goose jerky soon...

BCbuckhunter
09-02-2017, 05:23 PM
The buckwheat breakfasts are pretty good, but the entrees tend to be a bit on the spicy side. The Packaroons are really good though.

Muskydawg
09-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Great info guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to put my time and energy into figuring out my dehydrator. At least this way you know what your getting. Unfortunately, my cooking skills don't expand much beyond KD and PB&J. But, I make some of the best KD known to man! So there is still hope!

Boner
09-03-2017, 10:24 AM
FWIW, I put my dehydrated food in a sealed bag in the fridge for a couple of days before packaging. If the pieces being dried are different sizes, I find the moisture content balances out after a couple days in the fridge.