PDA

View Full Version : Albertans hunting bc

1 shot 1 kill
08-31-2017, 08:26 PM
Back from our alaska hwy trip..14days on the rd..
Did see allot of AB plated vehicles and Atvs out hunting..didnt see any bc plates with them as guides
Just curious if anyone else noticed this?
Did bring it to the attention of conservation as 4 of these AB did tell me they dont need guides they hunt here every yr.

S.W.A.T.
08-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Maybe they are working

srupp
08-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Hmmm Alberta can hunt certain species with a BC RESIDENT permit to accompany.
Steven

Norwestalta
08-31-2017, 08:29 PM
I believe bc has a hunter host program.

Norwestalta
08-31-2017, 08:31 PM
Maybe they are working

Yes lots of pipeline work happening.

Sitkaspruce
08-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Most will be working in the patch and do carry a rifle around while "working'....they seem to think that since they work here, buy gas and food here they are entitled to our game as well. With only 4 CO's for the area, they play the game and if they get away with it........

But lots of red/white plates are just working up here..... but not paying any income tax......and cheaper insurance.....

Cheers

SS

blackbart
08-31-2017, 09:09 PM
Slippery slope here to complain about boys.

How many of us apply for hunts in Alberta and happily go if drawn???? I much prefer to see Ab plates than US plates driving around with the "guide" riding shotgun in the pickup. See the Washington type plates often on the lower end southern bc hunts for deer, bear, moose.

1 shot 1 kill
08-31-2017, 09:50 PM
Could be workers..dressed in camo carrying rifles and knives..sitting in alder meadows..
Seemed funny to see so many up there? Maybe its been that way for awhile im not sure..
Camp down from all was all AB and clearly hunting,

shottyshooter
08-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Possibly BC boys who work in Alberta and live in BC. Company truck? or just insured out of Alberta?!? Reminds me of the hockey player who didn't realize living out of province during the season basically revoked his residency here because he was away more than is allowed. Either way the CO's are aware and can check their licences so you've done your part.

squamishhunter
08-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Almost all companies up here insure through their AB offices. Upgrading and re-routing pipelines right now - super busy, use your radios!!!

Norwestalta
09-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Most will be working in the patch and do carry a rifle around while "working'....they seem to think that since they work here, buy gas and food here they are entitled to our game as well. With only 4 CO's for the area, they play the game and if they get away with it........

But lots of red/white plates are just working up here..... but not paying any income tax......and cheaper insurance.....

Cheers

SS

I wouldn't worry to much about the income tax. Maybe check out equalization payments if you're so inclined. I think us albeerians have paid our share and a little of your share imo.

fuzzybiscuit
09-01-2017, 07:19 PM
I remember driving my Alberta plated truck back to the Island for a few weeks hunting in November back when I worked in Alberta but lived in BC.

I got a lot of funny looks and was even asked a few times how I could be hunting without a hunter host.

My family lived in BC, I paid income tax as a BC resident, and I met the definition of a resident for hunting purposes. I worked a 6x6 shift and flew home on my days off, had a bunch of vacation right off the bat, and banked any hours over 12 worked each day at double time. I then took those hours off as paid time off so I ended up with an 18 day off stretch every second month. Would have loved to have payed income tax as a Alberta resident. Would have saved me about $5,000 a year. But even though I was employed in Alberta I was a BC resident according to Revenue Canada.

I find it hard to believe that there would be a pile of Albertans hunting in BC without a hunter host. Odds of getting caught are too high. And its not like we don't have any critters in Alberta.

Gateholio
09-01-2017, 08:34 PM
BC workers that are in Alberta can be in a bit of a conundrum. If your home is in BC but you spend 2/3 of your time in Alberta working, you may not qualify as having resident status. We saw this with Jim Shockey who had to return the Special Sheep tag that he won, and with the NHL player that went grizzly hunting. Both had homes in BC, but were out of the province enough to not qualify as a resident hunter. It's a bit of a minefield that must be carefully navigated to ensure that you have the proper amount of time in BC. This is a problem and I think that the regulations should be modified to address this.

There are also BC hunters that have relocated to Alberta but still have some form of address in BC and still have a resident hunter number or FWID # I think it's called now. They might even have a BCDL. They come back to BC to hunt every year since they have their spots and they may feel that their residence in Alberta is a 'temporary" residence but they probably don't make residency requirements.

There are even some foreigners that have bought houses in BC and registered as resident hunters, so they are only here a short period of the year.

The first group is a bit of a shit sandwich, and the regulations don't address this properly. This can bite you whether you work in the oilpatch or you travel lots on business even if your only fixed address is the one in BC. People like this shouldn't be penalized for where they work, and the regulations should be expanded to cover this, as people work all over the place these days.

I don't think anything should be done to accommodate the other two groups.

09-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Seen the same thing up near Muncho a few years back, several HUGE HORSE TRAILERS, big trucks, several set upside several places.
That said, lots of our Guide operations are foreign owned and they employ who ever they want, not needed to be a BC resident to guide, lots of BIG money leaving this province ........ And the BC resident is the looser. It's a COMLETE joke. I'm in favour of BC owned, mom and pops shows, not Foreighn investors taking advantage of our lame rules and regulations. Like fish farms, big business wins over the little guy. Truly Sad.

Salty
09-01-2017, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the income tax. Maybe check out equalization payments if you're so inclined. I think us albeerians have paid our share and a little of your share imo.

You don't understand equalization payments. No province pays equalization they receive it or not. Its funded by federal taxes. If I make a hundred grand a year and you do too we both pay the same tax, same for buddy in Newfoundland. Then the feds make equalization payments back to some provinces who need it that year. Which you might want to look in to that end of it and see how much water your walking on compared to BC seeing as your so competitive about it. Personally I think its a good system and don't GAF how it rolls out year to year.

Travalanche
09-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I have no personal issue with Albertans hunting in BC. I go to Alberta every year and shoot my $125 deer and usually come home with some moose meat from my Albertan buddies tags so I can't complain about them hunting here.

Wild one
09-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Alberta plate does not mean they can't be a BC resident. Some who live in BC but work in Alberta have Alberta insurance because it can be cheaper

Yes there are those who cheat seen this done in both BC and Alberta. Actually a huge problem in Alberta met a lot of oilfield workers who bragged about holding a resident license in their home prov and where they work. Bet this goes on in BC as well with its out of prov workers.

Legally hosted is an option as well

Not enough info to say what's going on but possibilities of legal hunting, and straight up cheating the system are possible

Goes on in all provs and by residents of all provs

bridger
09-02-2017, 09:32 AM
I have no personal issue with Albertans hunting in BC. I go to Alberta every year and shoot my $125 deer and usually come home with some moose meat from my Albertan buddies tags so I can't complain about them hunting here.

You are hunting in Alberta legally which is great. Alberta guys hunting in BC on a permit to accompany legally is great as well. The problem is lots of Alberta guys working up here hard to tell who us legal and who is not.

Travalanche
09-02-2017, 09:43 AM
You are hunting in Alberta legally which is great. Alberta guys hunting in BC on a permit to accompany legally is great as well. The problem is lots of Alberta guys working up here hard to tell who us legal and who is not.

Ya there is some grey area for sure. I see it in Alberta too as I work in Alberta 7 days on 7 days off. See a fair amount of BC plates cruising the bush here too. Seems to happen in both provinces with so many people working away from home. I still get funny looks in Alberta when I'm hunting with my BC plated truck. Even though I can hunt upland without a hunter host, still get questioned. Outside of the deer hunt I can hunt bird without a host just have been told by the CO's here to make sure I only am equipped for bird so I don't get questioned so I just take the 22 or 410 with me. If I'm not on a hosted hunt and have a rifle laying in the back seat I'm looking for trouble.

Wild one
09-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Like I stated above Alberta suffers from the same problem and probably on a greater level when oil is booming and the fact their residency requirements are more lax

this is an issue in many provs

Bet it's a mix of legal hunting and those cheating the system

fuzzybiscuit
09-02-2017, 10:44 AM
If I make a hundred grand a year and you do too we both pay the same tax, same for buddy in Newfoundland.

Not too sure about equalization payments but income tax is not the same in each province. once you make over a certain amount, can't remember now whether it was $150 or $200 grand it starts to cost you more in BC. 5 years ago it was costing me about $5,000 more paying income tax as a BC resident even though I worked in Alberta. That was a few years back and I haven't kept up to the difference in income tax laws for the two provinces since moving to Alberta.

I also couldn't keep a vehicle in Alberta that was licensed in BC for more than 30 days. So my truck was licensed in Alberta and I paid higher insurance for that also.

As always, Gatehouse is the voice of reason. I agree with him that you have to really watch how much time you are spending in each province to make sure you meet resident requirements.

09-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Like I stated above Alberta suffers from the same problem and probably on a greater level when oil is booming and the fact their residency requirements are more lax

this is an issue in many provs

Bet it's a mix of legal hunting and those cheating the system

agree with this ...... And some guides or assistants

Wild one
09-02-2017, 10:57 AM
agree with this ...... And some guides or assistants

GO aspect falls under legal even if we wish the GO industry was resident only

ACB
09-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Seen the same thing up near Muncho a few years back, several HUGE HORSE TRAILERS, big trucks, several set upside several places.
That said, lots of our Guide operations are foreign owned and they employ who ever they want, not needed to be a BC resident to guide, lots of BIG money leaving this province ........ And the BC resident is the looser. It's a COMLETE joke. I'm in favour of BC owned, mom and pops shows, not Foreighn investors taking advantage of our lame rules and regulations. Like fish farms, big business wins over the little guy. Truly Sad.
You're exactly right, that guy thats on the Wild T.V. show"Guides Life" is from Sask. He guides in Sask., Yukon, B.C., even saw a show where he was guiding in Alaska, he's a guiding whore!

Bugle M In
09-03-2017, 12:03 AM
I would say that many of the guides that worked for the outfitter where I hunt elk (EK) had "alberta plates" over the years.

b.c hunter 88
09-03-2017, 08:15 PM
a bc resident must live in b.c 6 months or more in a calendar year to be able to hunt b.c. Albertan are required a hunter host in b.c.
i went throw this once when i worked in camp in fort mcmurray but never moved.

sasktimber
09-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I'm a Sask resident and make my way to the peace country each year to spend 10 days on the side of a mountain seeing some of the most amazing hunting opportunities while spending time with my brother that otherwise we wouldn't make the time for. I completely enjoy the hunter host program and although have never been able to take home a BC species, I have truly enjoyed every minute (wet, cold, snowed on, rained on, sliding down a shale face) because these are stories only my brother and I share. Yes, there are pictures and we share with others, but unless you live thousands of miles away and your wife let's you spend almost two weeks away to follow your passion (family and hunting are my focus) using caribou, sheep, goat, moose, elk or any other animal as an excuse to just be outside. As I said, i haven't had the opportunity to harvest an animal, but hopefully in a couple weeks when I'm there the stars align. If not, I'll have enjoyed a great hike, some wonderful scenery, and some time with my brother that money can't buy.

In return, I can only hope that my brother can make it back to Sask some day to chase big white tails or enjoy some great bird hunting. The hunter host program isn't always popular, but hope the residents of BC will continue to make me feel welcome when I'm on my way to enjoy the mountain slopes. In return, I hope all of those wishing to hunt outside of their own province continue to get those opportunities, however limited or far away they may be.

Bear Chaser
09-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Ya there is some grey area for sure.

There is no grey area. They are either hunting legally as in the Hunter host program or they are not.
IMO the Hunter Host program is a great way to spend time afield with a family member or close friend. Otherwise in BC if you don't meet the residency requirements then tough shit.

Norwestalta
09-04-2017, 07:55 AM
There is no grey area. They are either hunting legally as in the Hunter host program or they are not.
IMO the Hunter Host program is a great way to spend time afield with a family member or close friend. Otherwise in BC if you don't meet the residency requirements then tough shit.

Im a advocate of the hunter host program. I think it's a great thing to be able to share what your province has to offer with family and friends from out of province.

Residency is a sore spot for me. 6 months is not enough and should require more then a mailing address for proof. I don't know of any instances personally but you hear stories of people taking advantage of the lax residency requirements.

I think the main reason for out of province guides is it protects the outfitters area from hiring a resident guide that can hunt in the outfitters area. The local outfitter in my area hires out of province guides for this reason.

Travalanche
09-04-2017, 08:21 AM

There absolutely is grey area as it is completely possible to have Alberta plates yet meet the BC residency requirements. Easy to do if you own property in both provinces. It can be taken advantage of with little effort. Nobody is watching the door to your property in BC to see how much time you actually spend there.