PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry closure - East Kootenay, specifically Rocky Mountain Resource District

Elkchaser
08-31-2017, 08:01 PM
Just received the signed off closure. Effective noon Saturday September 2nd). FYI, bunch of new fire starts today and extreme fire behaviour followed. Flathead area is most active with most of the new starts. Folks can check out the situation on the BCWS public map. Sorry about the news, affects me too! Now have to get my trailer I parked a couple days ago for spending my 50th at elk camp. Too bad, but in my opinion with the current conditions, forecast and fire behaviour it's the right thing to do.

late addition - forgot to mention it is in effect until the earliest of October 2nd or if it is rescinded.

Everett
08-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Please provide a link BCWfS has no such ban on there site that I can find.

Elkchaser
08-31-2017, 08:47 PM
It's coming. I received the PDF on my work email about 10 minutes before I sent the original note. Some folks will be already on way here to hunt, others leaving soon so I just wanted to get the message out to help folks out. Don't have a clue how to attach a PDF to this note. If somebody else does I can email it to them for posting???

f350ps
08-31-2017, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up EC! K

Seth
08-31-2017, 10:05 PM
Exactly which portion of the Koots is closed? Just the Flathead area? I can't find anything online

Elkchaser
08-31-2017, 10:10 PM
The Rocky Mountain district includes the former cranbrook and invermere forest districts. The order has a map. Roughly Parson to US border, including all of TFL 14, then Alberta border to the Purcell Range.

Elkchaser
08-31-2017, 10:14 PM
I received the order at 2045 hrs RMT and it was fresh off the press. Should be front page in local news first thing tomorrow as well as on the fire centre restrictions info on line.

Seth
08-31-2017, 10:31 PM
Elkchaser - Pm sent.

Bugle M In
08-31-2017, 11:23 PM
We better all start doing a "Rain Dance"...
All this week is expected to be hot, right thru what was to be "bow season only" atleast......
When the weather does change, I can only imagine to expect more "lightning"....so it better rain like hell at that point,
or nothing will be rescinded.....unbelievable stretch of heat we have had this year.

Bugle M In
08-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Exactly which portion of the Koots is closed? Just the Flathead area? I can't find anything online

There are several fires now all down close to the BC/Alberta border, starting from north of Assiniboine.

Seth
09-01-2017, 05:17 AM
There are several fires now all down close to the BC/Alberta border, starting from north of Assiniboine.

Im well aware of where the fires are, as I've been paying close attention and monitoring the website daily, but fortunately my hunting area has so far been unaffected.

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2017, 07:50 AM
So almost 9:00 and no public info out. All media outlets still reporting the ORV ban update this morning. If this was decided upon yesterday and finalized it's quite dissapointing that it didn't get out to media as there will be a ton of people out of cell range set up for a week or two of hunting in this area.

ellenbill
09-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Lodge pole fsr closed from 35k to 42 k.

mike-juliet
09-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Can you email me the PDF Please? I am not able to find info online yet

matt-jenkins@Hotmail.com

Brez
09-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Just got off of the phone with Cranbrook Forestry and ANY road with woody debris, sawdust, or anything (grass, alder, etc.) growing on it is off limits to on-highway vehicles. In other words, any road with any sort of fuel on it is off limits. I had to turn back this morning for my opening day

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Every road, even highways, have dry grass on the shoulders so I'm assuming this means the traveled portion of the road. I turned back myself and found a spot on a well travelled fsr to park on after my first road got grassy between the wheelpaths.

Rackmastr
09-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Looks to be true, just saw the notice myself.

I'm not on a computer where I can upload it, but I can email it if someone wants it. Its on FB now as well.

uraarchr
09-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Big difference between a back country closure and an ORV ban.

moosinaround
09-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Just received my hunt buddy notification on this backcountry closure! Moosin

Rackmastr
09-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Big difference between a back country closure and an ORV ban.

There is. This is backcountry ban.

Bugle M In
09-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Does anybody have a link? please.

limit time
09-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Perfect Timing me thinks ? Just in time for youth and bow.
We will start to see this more and more . "IN THE INTEREST OF PUBLIC SAFETY"

Rackmastr
09-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Does anybody have a link? please.

I can email it, but here is a FB link that might work?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159593738235393&set=pcb.1284381795022734&type=3&theater

B104 has it on their site as well

Rackmastr
09-01-2017, 11:12 AM
http://www.b104.ca/syn/738/31827/backcountry-closed-in-east-kootenay-region

Seth
09-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Id love to actually see this PDF myself but I suspect there may be some confusion as to what a "backcountry ban" actually is. Technically there has been a backcountry ban in the Kootenays since Aug 4th. My hunting partner called to hear first hand what the restrictions are and he was told that "backcountry ban" means they dont want guys parking and walking into the backcountry away from FSR's, making evacuation difficult. He was told that camping in designated spots free from "fuel" was permitted as long as there was easy means of egress.

Salvelinus
09-01-2017, 11:17 AM
From the horse's mouth: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2877

map: http://ow.ly/EfiR30eQBUm

Ron.C
09-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Pretty clear. The link states what activities are permitted and the PDF within the link clearly shows where the ban is applicable.

Crappy deal for those who made the trek out there to hunt crown land and will be soon told to leave. I can only assume the adjacent areas that are still open will soon see allot more pressure

Salvelinus
09-01-2017, 11:19 AM
effective noon tomorrow... hopefully they send people out to let people know that have already entered the backcountry since this release has come out very late.

Did some digging and no surprise, the local MLA has been pushing for this for a month: http://www.kimberleybulletin.com/news/mla-calls-for-backcountry-closure/

Bugle M In
09-01-2017, 11:20 AM
"without authorization"...."no entry"...wow...(I am not surprised, given the situation, but hard to believe we wont be
hunting)

Bugle M In
09-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Pretty clear. The link states what activities are permitted and the PDF within the link clearly shows where the ban is applicable.

Crappy deal for those who made the trek out there to hunt crown land and will be soon told to leave. I can only assume the adjacent areas that are still open will soon see allot more pressure

Yup...it's going to be a "parking lot" in some areas!

Seth
09-01-2017, 11:22 AM

That does seam to spell it out in black and white... unbelieable that this isnt more public already. Also hard to believe it starts on the saturday of a long weekend when they could have put it in place immediately to keep people out innitially?

Red_Mist
09-01-2017, 11:25 AM
So this is a hunting ban ?

Salvelinus
09-01-2017, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't call it that (hunting fits in with all other public activities), but on crown land, effectively, yes it is.

Bugle M In
09-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Sounds like hunting is banned....IMO.

Red_Mist
09-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Oh man. That's my hunt in couple weeks ...

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Does this include lakes that have highway access since they are provincial land?

Ron.C
09-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Does this include lakes that have highway access since they are provincial land?

Moyie lake is closed for all watercraft

hunter1947
09-01-2017, 12:28 PM
The forestery did the right thing on closing down the bush in the EK

hunter1947
09-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Moyie lake is closed for all watercraft

This is a good thing now the bombers can do there water pick ups with no problems with boaters

eastkoothunter
09-01-2017, 12:41 PM
http://www.summit107.com/news/east-kootenay-news/further-back-country-closures-issued-for-entire-east-kootenay/

howa1500
09-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Well dammit, there goes my planned hunt, going to be a fast and furious time bring up old maps, and the ol google....

Ron.C
09-01-2017, 01:07 PM
This is a good thing now the bombers can do there water pick ups with no problems with boaters
Agree.....

cpwrestler
09-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Wow... There goes 8 months of planning and researching my first BC sheep hunt. My dad (a non-hunter) was flying out from Ontario to accompany me on the trip too! Guess I'm looking for an elk/goat/stone alternative with a week's worth of research...

hunter1947
09-01-2017, 01:27 PM
What pisses me off is that the forestry should had shut down the bush at the beginning of this week giving notice today is bad there are already many hunting camps set up in the bush and lots of the areas have no cell service,,,just don't get why they waited for today to shut down the back roads,,they need to give there heads a shake ,,they are doing the right thing closing the bush down I agree but waited to late :roll:..

kootenaycarver
09-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Looks like a we have a pretty active fire going on right now ,not too far from the Cranbrook airport. Local radio has said the Cranbrook airport is closed . I don't see any restrictions being lifted anytime soon.

hunter1947
09-01-2017, 03:05 PM
There will be lots of hunting pressure in the WK with most of the EK closed

Bugle M In
09-01-2017, 04:45 PM
There will be lots of hunting pressure in the WK with most of the EK closed

Exactly what I was thinking.....

hunter1947
09-01-2017, 06:22 PM
looking at the map closure the town of Yahk and up hawkins creek is still open no road closure and west from yahk to Creston and west is all open

Red line to your left is still open to your right closed down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/yauk.jpg

Andrewh
09-03-2017, 08:29 PM
I got a day and a half of hunting; the CO's and fire cpt came by in the area and informed me that I need to be out by 1pm on the 2nd.

I was into elk but I can understand the closure. Fires seemed to be popping up all over the place and close to where I was at up the Bull River.

Bugle M In
09-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Does anybody know if any GO's are operating right now with clients up there, or are they out of the woods as well (which is what I am assuming)?

Andrewh
09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
I saw a large older orange horse trailer heading up the Bull if that is the outfitter...

He was heading in on closure day as I was coming out.

rocksteady
09-04-2017, 06:55 PM
I saw a large older orange horse trailer heading up the Bull if that is the outfitter...

He was heading in on closure day as I was coming out.

A lot of g/o are evacuating their horses out of places like the Bull and Flathead

rocksteady
09-04-2017, 09:41 PM
G/o are cancelling client hunts cause of the fire activity.. not because of the back country closures. They realize that shit is getting real with fire behaviour and potential of being caught in a running firestorm..

I appreciate that they are looking out for clients well being versus the $....

HarryToolips
09-04-2017, 09:58 PM
And here I had a elk hunt planned for sept 11-16 in the east koots....so, what you all think are the chances the backcountry will be open by then?

The Hermit
09-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Not much hope of that HarryToolips. The entire region is drier than a popcorn fart... I wouldn't be surprised if it is closed till late October and they will be fighting those fires next spring! They are burning really hot and will probably go underground! Sucks but look north man.

sawmill
09-05-2017, 06:18 AM
We need rain, a lot of it. A nice steady week long soaker would be nice. Unfortunatly it does not look like that`s coming anytime soon. That big high pressure system is stuck over us for at least 2 more weeks from all the sites I check. I think all of September is shot to shit. Besides, who wants to spend a couple hours working on an elk when it`s +37 in the shade? Maybe the flies could pack it out for you.

HarryToolips
09-05-2017, 07:07 AM
^^^yes rain is a must.....look on the bright side: there's going to be some good bulls/bucks in r4 next season..

J_T
09-05-2017, 11:35 AM
^^^yes rain is a must.....look on the bright side: there's going to be some good bulls/bucks in r4 next season.. Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding the insinuation? Why will there be good bulls and bucks next year?

walks with deer
09-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Beacause more will make it throught the season...
And than with regrowth of burns population should start to expand.

Elkaholic
09-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding the insinuation? Why will there be good bulls and bucks next year?

I look at it as one year the mature bulls will get the breed instead of being shot because they are a 6pt. Im hoping some better genetics got passed on this season.

Ron.C
09-05-2017, 01:11 PM
I look at it as one year the mature bulls will get the breed instead of being shot because they are a 6pt. Im hoping some better genetics got passed on this season.

Does an animal genetics change as it gets older and it grows more points?

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2017, 01:13 PM

How does survival of a mature adult ungulate "grow" a population?

Bugle M In
09-05-2017, 01:41 PM

I talked to someone from Oregon.
They have a study going on somewhere in the state.
At times they were only allowed to hunt mature 6 pt bulls, and at other times the smaller/younger bulls.
Consensus seems to be that the herd did better when leaving the mature bulls alone, and targeting the younger bulls.
Don't remember the area where the study was happening?

J_T
09-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Won't be long and more closures will happen. IE; the West Kootenay.

Spy
09-05-2017, 03:29 PM
I talked to someone from Oregon.
They have a study going on somewhere in the state.
At times they were only allowed to hunt mature 6 pt bulls, and at other times the smaller/younger bulls.
Consensus seems to be that the herd did better when leaving the mature bulls alone, and targeting the younger bulls.
Don't remember the area where the study was happening?
In Africa they keep the studs with good genetics to breed with, but hey what do we know.

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2017, 03:41 PM
In Africa they keep the studs with good genetics to breed with, but hey what do we know.

Is that why they shipped you to Canada? :-P

Spy
09-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Well someone has to do the breeding here, I have a 3rd on the way in February;-)

Salty
09-05-2017, 04:38 PM

oh snap !

Spy
09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
oh snap !
What No congrats??? ;-)

.308SLAYER
09-05-2017, 05:17 PM

West kootneys is stupid when over for labour day weekend got my 10 days booked off next weekend checked cams few good bulls got one bugle back....Def not a fellow hunter...hot as shit.loads of people going there cause of the closures out east

HarryToolips
09-05-2017, 09:53 PM
That's all I was thinkin...yes I know that more males over amount x will not create a larger overall population, and I hate that the area restriction ruined my EK hunting plans, but I had to find one positive spin..

HighCountryBC
09-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Not sure where you're getting your info but the plan is to keep it open.

Bugle M In
09-05-2017, 10:30 PM
That's all I was thinkin...yes I know that more males over amount x will not create a larger overall population, and I hate that the area restriction ruined my EK hunting plans, but I had to find one positive spin..

I think we all hear you.
Trying to find a positive isn't a bad thing.
But, remember, even though the 6 pt restriction was put in place years ago now (19 years??), it sure hasn't helped
the overall population.
On top of that, GO's said that this would allow us all to hunt "world class trophy bulls" again.
To be honest, I haven't seen that many taken since the restriction either.
These fires will create the habitat ( a start anyways), that will be the biggest benefit in years, and habitat that isn't littered with roads (easy access)....well...I hope not...depends how many they need to push in to fight fires??

My hunt looks like it isn't going to happen either, but I am hoping that the area will open by October, before the Elk Season is completely over???
That's the only way to stay "positive" right now...at least for me.

backcountry99
09-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Not sure where you're getting your info but the plan is to keep it open.
West region 4 and region 8 will be next to be closed, the smoke is thick and gross and no signs of rain. If a guys desperate to get out head north or be prepared to have your trip interupted.

J_T
09-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Not sure where you're getting your info but the plan is to keep it open. Not getting "my information" from anywhere. Only my opinion. The WK is not at all different from the EK right now in terms of risk. The criteria used to decide the fate of the backcountry in the EK is likely being used everywhere and logic would dictate, the WK/Boundary is next if things don't change.

hunter1947
09-06-2017, 06:35 AM
I don't understand why they closed most of the EK down for fire when there is just as much risk for fires in the WK ??? My thoughts are before a fire starts from whatever they should have the WK closed down now.

hunter1947
09-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Lots of people from the Yahk town are furies not closing down the forest in there area they say that many hunters will come to there area and the chance of a fire will be grater ,,they say why did they the personal have the closed off area the other side of town some distance ???.

HarryToolips
09-06-2017, 06:42 AM
I think we all hear you.
Trying to find a positive isn't a bad thing.
But, remember, even though the 6 pt restriction was put in place years ago now (19 years??), it sure hasn't helped
the overall population.
On top of that, GO's said that this would allow us all to hunt "world class trophy bulls" again.
To be honest, I haven't seen that many taken since the restriction either.
These fires will create the habitat ( a start anyways), that will be the biggest benefit in years, and habitat that isn't littered with roads (easy access)....well...I hope not...depends how many they need to push in to fight fires??

My hunt looks like it isn't going to happen either, but I am hoping that the area will open by October, before the Elk Season is completely over???
That's the only way to stay "positive" right now...at least for me.
Totally hear ya...like Jesse Zeman said, as long as the bull:cow ratio isn't below 20:100 for elk it won't hurt the pops....I doubt a 6 pt season would drop it below that...