PDA

View Full Version : Camping spots in 5-2 for a toy hauler?

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 10:48 AM
We are thinking to bring our toy hauler for a week up to area 5-2 which we aren't super familiar with. Initially thinking wall tent around Valentine Lake but I don't think our toy hauler would fit there. I've been looking online but it doesn't seem there are too many (any?) places for a trailer other than maybe Helena Lake?

Is it it not worth even bothering or does anyone know if any camping areas for a 26' toy hauler in tthe Valentine Lake vicinity? It asking for any hunting tips, just any camping areas.

Thanks!

Buck
08-31-2017, 11:43 AM
You can fit a 26 foot trailer at Valentine.No Atv riding as you probably know.

srupp
08-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Hmmm Helena, Gustafson lake burned pretty bad..might not be much green in there? Helena did have a camping fee..? Helena has lots of cross country ski, snowmobile trails but off limits right now to atv.
Srupp

tigrr
08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
A little bit of advise. Pick somewhere that has 2 ways out. It is still dry up here.

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Yeah it's still very iffy if we even go at all. Watching the fires and conditions closely. Isn't there a fire not far from Helena? Is that the Gustafson fire srupp?

Hubby just left on his goat hunt in 3-32, and my sister in law has a moose hunt in 5-2 in September, we were thinking we might tag along in our trailer as I've never been camping anywhere in that area, make a vacay out of it and help haul out the meat if they are successful on their hunt. But since we've never camped there I wasn't sure if there were places other than Helena, good to know a 26' trailer could fit at Valentine, that would be ideal but I suppose the risk is if the spot is taken then we need a plan b.

We are thinking third third week of September. See what happens between now and then. and yes definitely no quad as of now, we will leave it at home.
My hunt is for elk in Feb in the Peace.

poper
08-31-2017, 01:46 PM
I know region 5-2 is a big area, but do you really need to head out camping in there right now, I've seen first hand what it's like in and around that area, like I don't get why you would want to put yourself in a situation like that. There is fires in and around that area.It should be good to go in a few weeks hopfully.

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 03:27 PM
I know region 5-2 is a big area, but do you really need to head out camping in there right now, I've seen first hand what it's like in and around that area, like I don't get why you would want to put yourself in a situation like that. There is fires in and around that area.It should be good to go in a few weeks hopfully.

As I said above, we are looking to go towards the end of September depending on how the fires are. Not talking about going now.

srupp
08-31-2017, 03:45 PM
I havnt been in there since the fire..the fire was wicked..Gustafson. .and i suspect Helena both are pretty close together.there used to be moose on the west side of Helena. Luther so dry..
For Sept. .be very close to water. .the moose will be..north end of Helena little finger of water., west side.
Steven
Ps first 2 kms Helena to rd..one exit..at the 2 board..2 ways out
Smoky ++++++++++ windy..not good combo.

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Yeah definitely not something I want I fool around with that's for sure. Unless things change quite a bit. And with the weather we are having now, at least in my area with dry breezy weather highs of 30 for the next week it doesn't look like things will change too quickly.

Rotorwash
08-31-2017, 04:55 PM
It burned all through that area , from valentine to the 108 and behind lac la hache. It will probably be burning in this area till late october at this rate.

srupp
08-31-2017, 05:24 PM
It burned all through that area , from valentine to the 108 and behind lac la hache. It will probably be burning in this area till late october at this rate.

Hmm so with the area being burned so badly..is the government camping fee per nite still in effect..lol.
Steven

Cdog
08-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Instead of speculating where the forest has burned check out the actual fire perimeters:https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dataset/fire-perimeters-current The Gustafson lake fire was relatively small compared the the fires west of the fraser and the Elephant hill fire. 5-2 wasn't hit as bad as those areas.

browningboy
08-31-2017, 11:21 PM
Go up meadow lake road, tough to explain but nice area but may be burnt