PDA

View Full Version : Updated Road Access Info - Southeast Fire/Region 4

Mikey Rafiki
08-31-2017, 05:29 AM
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0255-001499

Provides some clarification on gravel vs grassy roads. Also details on guide and guided hunter atv use.

jacksondog
08-31-2017, 05:49 AM
Some clarity finally, lot better than "designated roads" as previously stated. Thanks for the post.

canucks6
08-31-2017, 05:50 AM
Man am I getting tired of guide outfitters and there special treatment and whinning. Getting up there with the keepers of the land on my list.

Mikey Rafiki
08-31-2017, 06:01 AM
Man am I getting tired of guide outfitters and there special treatment and whinning. Getting up there with the keepers of the land on my list.

This was an improvement after our MLA was fighting for equality on this issue, but does it still let the guider pack animal out on ATV and long as hunter isn't in it?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2017, 06:20 AM
That's the first time I've read 'all motorcycles' prohibited. So my street licensed dual sport is now prohibited whereas previously I thought it was grouped into the 'other vehicles' licensed for hwys were ok.

If so, that throws a huge curveball into my plans.

Mikey Rafiki
08-31-2017, 07:13 AM
That's the first time I've read 'all motorcycles' prohibited. So my street licensed dual sport is now prohibited whereas previously I thought it was grouped into the 'other vehicles' licensed for hwys were ok.

That's another uncertainty for sure, maybe worth a call? I know I'm going to park and start walking where the roads get grassy I'm sure to have some people drive up behind me. I'm doing some last minute shuffling of my spots too as I haven't had time to drive up there and see just how grassy it is.

rimfire
08-31-2017, 08:24 AM

They are only allowed to use ATV's when setting up camp. It explicitly mentions transporting hunters to the backcountry as a non-authorized use.

bc_buckshot
08-31-2017, 08:31 AM
They are only allowed to use ATV's when setting up camp. It explicitly mentions transporting hunters to the backcountry as a non-authorized use.

In all fairness I can understand. But its again the same factors and always benefits the guides. I promise you that guides will be transporting their clients a little ways into the backcountry to get a head start. Or pack out the meat the last couple kms because their client said, This is why I paid you"....Its sad money talks.

rimfire
08-31-2017, 09:21 AM
In all fairness I can understand. But its again the same factors and always benefits the guides. I promise you that guides will be transporting their clients a little ways into the backcountry to get a head start. Or pack out the meat the last couple kms because their client said, This is why I paid you"....Its sad money talks.

Some will, but some won't. The key is to have the penalty for non compliance fairly high.

ryanb
08-31-2017, 07:55 PM

It's only the southeast fire centre bulletin that mentions all motorcycles. The other more comprehensive statement does not mention on road motorcycles.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
It's only the southeast fire centre bulletin that mentions all motorcycles. The other more comprehensive statement does not mention on road motorcycles.

Unfortuantely that's where I had planned on going.
The area I wanted to go is still open and not part of the complete bush closure.

slowjo
09-02-2017, 01:01 PM
It doesn't matter what sort of vehicle you drive now. Backcountry is closed to the public.

slowjo
09-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Region 4 Rocky Mountain Forest District

bigneily
09-02-2017, 01:26 PM
All lakes and rivers closed now too , This really bites my balls as some pothole lakes that I float around in my kayak and bass fish at are literally 15 ft from the road edge . A paved road at that , I would have thought non motorized travel on small lakes would be ok . Not according to front counter .

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2017, 01:51 PM
It doesn't matter what sort of vehicle you drive now. Backcountry is closed to the public.

But the western portion of the Southeast fire district is still open.

bigneily
09-02-2017, 01:57 PM
The boundary is somewhere around Yahk.

slowjo
09-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Here is the map

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/!Project/WildfireNews/912017~84227_17%20AreaRestriction%20MAP%20RockyMou ntainForestDistrict%2020170831%20V3.pdf

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Shit fields in cranny closed too.

The Hermit
09-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Just got back to the coast from the EK. They want people off the roads and out of the bush for a number of very good reasons. The more people in the back country the higher the risk of interference with fire crews; high risk of human causes fires; and with all the lightening strikes and new fires every day people in the back country are a significant risk. Sucks but it is what it is.

sawmill
09-02-2017, 04:31 PM
The boundary is somewhere around Yahk.
Yahk to the Alberta border, Golden to the U.S border. Face it, it`s all shut down and if you lived here you would agree whole heartedly with it. It`s so smokey here and hot as shit, 33 right now and 18% humidity with a brisk hot 20 K wind. 5 mills of rain in the last 60 days. The weather is expected to stay like this till at least mid September.
For all you guys who lost their hunting trip........be glad you don`t live here right now. Can hardly breath the air.
We are one f2ck up from disaster.

rocksteady
09-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Unfortuantely that's where I had planned on going.
The area I wanted to go is still open and not part of the complete bush closure.

SSS... stay out of my backyard ;)

rocksteady
09-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Just got back to the coast from the EK. They want people off the roads and out of the bush for a number of very good reasons. The more people in the back country the higher the risk of interference with fire crews; high risk of human causes fires; and with all the lightening strikes and new fires every day people in the back country are a significant risk. Sucks but it is what it is.

The main reason for the closure is public safety. I have seen fires in the past few days go from nothing to 500 hectares in hours. Ignition potential aside, things are explosive once a fire starts..

Bugle M In
09-02-2017, 08:57 PM
The main reason for the closure is public safety. I have seen fires in the past few days go from nothing to 500 hectares in hours. Ignition potential aside, things are explosive once a fire starts..

Yup, what you say is certainly the truth, and you factor in that pine beetle kill up there as well, it's no surprise.
It is however, hard to believe that my annual elk hunt is never going to happen.
There is not even a cloud anywhere to be seen here in Vancouver.
Not even beyond Grouse etc, northwards.....there are mountains back there I don't think I have ever seen before.
What to do now ???????

Salty
09-02-2017, 09:22 PM
What to do now ???????

If you've got any connections upstairs maybe pray for rain? lol
In the 30s all next week here again got a bit of cloud and 30% chance of showers showing for Friday. It'll probably be like the last few forecast chances of showers and any moisture will evaporate before it hits the ground then back to full sun. This is nuts.

Bugle M In
09-03-2017, 12:00 AM
If you've got any connections upstairs maybe pray for rain? lol
In the 30s all next week here again got a bit of cloud and 30% chance of showers showing for Friday. It'll probably be like the last few forecast chances of showers and any moisture will evaporate before it hits the ground then back to full sun. This is nuts.

The scary part is, if there is some moisture, and change from warm front to cold front, we end up with lightning strikes...
And when the front comes in, and there aint a whole shitload of rain that comes with it, there ill be more areas "torching up".
There have been plenty of times when we go from high heat, to suddenly snow over night....but, it has never been dried out to this extent.
Over the last 30+ years, I only remember 2 fire bans in the last week of September.....
Oh well....see what happens....how late is the elk season???.....lol.

hunter1947
09-03-2017, 05:45 AM
The weather forecast for the starting of Sept 11 going to cool down here in Cranbrook there saying up to 15mm of rain on Sept 15th and the 16th we will see if this unfolds..

Bugle M In
09-03-2017, 12:40 PM
The weather forecast for the starting of Sept 11 going to cool down here in Cranbrook there saying up to 15mm of rain on Sept 15th and the 16th we will see if this unfolds..

Fingers are "BIG TIME CROSSED"!!....lets hope so!