PDA

View Full Version : Need help recovering ram

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Hi all.

Long time follower, first time poster.

Shot my first bighorn this week in Snowy Protecred Area. Good shot under 200 yards. Ram went legs up.

2 days searching in very steep terrain and we havnt found him. We had to leave the area when we ran out of food.

Desperately seeking help from anyone with dogs or any advice.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Ltbullken
08-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Can you be more specific about "good shot" and "legs up"? Was he DRT, dropped and rolled downhill?

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Not sure what DRT means but i shot the ram and he got hit hard. Hard enough to flip him on his back. No sign of rolling or sliding down the hill. The grass is about a foot long and easily flattened. I would have seen a slide. Unless i shot this guy in the horn ( unlikely at that distance) he has a big hole in him.

Thanks

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Any Blood????

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Not that we found. I had 2 other guys in there with me yesterday. No blood and no slide.

Ltbullken
08-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Not sure what DRT means but i shot the ram and he got hit hard. Hard enough to flip him on his back. No sign of rolling or sliding down the hill. The grass is about a foot long and easily flattened. I would have seen a slide. Unless i shot this guy in the horn ( unlikely at that distance) he has a big hole in him.

Thanks

DRT = 'dead right there'

Blainer
08-30-2017, 12:56 PM
No blood is concerning. No raven on day 2? Dog is best bet. Long hike in before you shot?

Ltbullken
08-30-2017, 12:57 PM
You could've hit the upper back, clipped the top of the spine which would account for the sudden collapse. But, as there are no major organs or arteries there, just muscle, he could've quickly recovered, got up and ran off. Did you check for tracks leading away from the location? Have you confirmed the zero on your rifle? Always possible the scope was bumped, etc.

RiverOtter
08-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Any crevasses near where you shot your ram?

Pulled a Stone ram out of one this year. Had us baffled for a few minutes, as the spotter seen the tip over and roll, but the ram vanished from site a few yards later. Would have made an awesome 'As they lay' pic, but didn't think of it at the time.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 01:03 PM
LT is making some good points....check your gun, check that it is hitting bang on.....
If you can't find dogs, then you ill be stuck waiting for Ravens or preds.
Sometimes, if you wounded something, it can take DAYS for it to die (if it does succumb to the shot).
So, sometimes, ravens and such won't be around for a week or worse....longer.
If they are wounded badly, but live for days, they will look for a "flat area" to move around on, and sometimes with
a lot of "cover" around or near them.
Just my experience on those situations (we all have gone thru that).

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 01:08 PM
We were looking for ravens but nothing really stood out. We pulled off the mountain late yesterday/last night. A high shot is still going to result in him bleeding out yes?

If i believed this ram could have lived i would not be so concerned. Just watching him flip over the way he did. I know he was hit.

The terrain is so hard. To cover 100 yards take 10 mins. We searched a 300 yards square. Up down and side to side.

I think dogs would be able to find the animal now.

Thanks

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
We were looking for ravens but nothing really stood out. We pulled off the mountain late yesterday/last night. A high shot is still going to result in him bleeding out yes?

If i believed this ram could have lived i would not be so concerned. Just watching him flip over the way he did. I know he was hit.

The terrain is so hard. To cover 100 yards take 10 mins. We searched a 300 yards square. Up down and side to side.

Thanks

I've been there...it's hard to find them sometimes....if you ever find them at all.
Hope you get dogs to help....at this point...it is your best option.
High shot....doesn't mean they will bleed out..
But if it cripples them...and movement becomes hard....they can die "slowly"...taking weeks sometimes.
I watched a small buck, with a rear leg injury (bad shot maybe)??...
It didn't kill him, he was limping around...saw him for weeks...
Then one day I came across an area with tracks all over (50 sq yards), and there he was, face first in some pine scrubs.
He had finally died....
I had hoped he was going to make it...that's why I didn't put him down.
Other times. I have pulled out another hunters bullet out of game that I have just taken...
so, sometimes they survive with out long term problems.
Best of luck to you...hope you find him.

Walking Buffalo
08-30-2017, 01:58 PM
A shot high but below or above the spine can result in a "Bang, Flop/Flip".... and an animal that will be able to carry on.

It has happened to me with a deer. Walked up to a buck with a hole below the spine, he had dropped like a sack after the shot.
While petting him, he got up and ran away. Saw him again months later.

Know of a ram that was shot high on the neck. Photos of the live ram showed a gaping hole where the Nuchal ligament was almost completely severed.
It was hard to believe he could keep his head up.
The ram was finally tracked down and killed days later.
He had taken refuge in the cliffs at the very top of the mountain.

Shooting high is often systematic of an excited hunter, picking up their head too quickly in a desire to see the results. This movement pushes the gun barrel up.

Good luck to you.

srupp
08-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Hmm 300 yard sq? That's the area you searched..not nearly big enough.
Get h2o, food, dogs if available..
Go back to where the sheep was shot mark it WELL with flagging tape . yellow.
Then move in circles 5 feet look for tracks..mark those green tape..
Look for hair mark with red tape
Look for blood. Mark with red tape.look for anything size of match head size..special lites high lite blood.
Sheep can go insane distances.but lung shot should be down but could be within 1 kilometer .
Your first look is most important due to trampling and disturbing grass and sign.
Slow..slow slow. Any disturbance.off color on grass..tall grass little depression hides a sheep easily.step by step slowly max 5 foot grid..mark progress often.
We chased a mulie hit hard in Alberta..went 1.5 km.laid up.he pulled a couple crazy I vans. But slow steady..
100% eliminate the area by 5 foot rings..once blood or slide or tracks you can do a more concentrate sweep..
Where is this area?
Steven

srupp
08-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Hmm so looked up your area.california big horn ram? Their tendency is to head down into the trees and steep stuff.when startled or pushed.or shot? If dead anywhere in between but if wounded. Bedded up in trees, behind juniper. On edge of nasty stuff.
To drop at 200 yards..spine or head or horns..as has been pointed out hit high ..he could still be going..if brain hit.he could be out voting g NDP.ooops" sorry.
Blood loss..get really thirsty water.
Steven

Ltbullken
08-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Thanks

An animal wouldn't necessarily bleed out at all if no major arteries or veins were hit. There are 'empty' spots on a animal that if hit will produce very little damage and high back is exactly one of them. I pulled an encysted bullet out of a moose backstrap many years ago. Second SRUPP suggestions - go back and carefully work outward in rings. Use dogs if you can get them. There should be some folks with tracking dogs in the OK. You're certainly doing the ethical thing in exhausting all possibilities and opportunities to claim a downed animal.

Ltbullken
08-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Depending on shot presentation was there a possibility that you hit the horns?

walks with deer
08-30-2017, 03:56 PM
In this heat 2days and now three.. if its dead it maggot food.

not much point searching anymore.

Clint_S
08-30-2017, 04:42 PM
not much point searching anymore.

Except to punch your tag on the animal you shot and at least go home with some horn.

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the input fellas.

We did try searching systematically. But truly no sign. If anyone has been up there they know the terrain on those slopes. It's nasty steep and slippery grass. The ram must of got up and ran but we didnt see it.

The shot was almost full broadside. Slightly quartering towards me and slightly uphill. I'm shooting a 30.06 with barnes tsx 165g.

I know there isnt going to be much to recover other than horns. I just feel so rough for possibly killing an animal from such a hurting herd of sheep and not following up to my fullest extent.

The spine shots you guys describe do sound possible. I hope he hasnt run off for a slow death but it could be possible with the lack of ravens or sign.

If anyone has dogs and would be willing to get involved with me, please pm me.

Thanks again

srupp
08-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Hmm good on you for the fine attitude and effort.i wouldn't give up.its ruly a majestic animal worthy of your effort.
Terrible timing our lab is amazing , great cold nosed ability, been successful a few times, however she is post op for left leg ccl by1 week....she is not ready yet.
It is entirely possible the ram was hit but not dead yet.or is dead..my opinion .
Sorry for your anxt, admire your determination.keep at it..unlike NDP the meat isn't everything.
Chased 4 or 5 cali rams that were shot and not immediately found, time, effort, concentration..truly amazing how close to a dead sheep and not see it.on 1 iwas 15 feet from hhim . the horns caught my attention.
Go back with the thought " my ram is here" your job is to find him.
Good luck.
Steven

northof49
08-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Have heard of barnes pencil holes and non-recovery when no vitals involved. May be the case here. If that steep as you describe I'd be looking downhill mostly and in the bottom of any nearby draws or ravines. After 3-4 days ravens will lead you to it if dead so look and listen for ravens. With the heat should smell by day 4-5 so that can help too if piled up in some scrub or bushes. 300yds not far for animal bounding away and then falling and tumbling. Good luck.

blackwater
08-30-2017, 05:26 PM
You might get caught up in the Cathedral Park closure/evacuation order if the Diamond Creek fire keeps expanding.

Blainer
08-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the input fellas.

We did try searching systematically. But truly no sign. If anyone has been up there they know the terrain on those slopes. It's nasty steep and slippery grass. The ram must of got up and ran but we didnt see it.

The shot was almost full broadside. Slightly quartering towards me and slightly uphill. I'm shooting a 30.06 with barnes tsx 165g.

I know there isnt going to be much to recover other than horns. I just feel so rough for possibly killing an animal from such a hurting herd of sheep and not following up to my fullest extent.

The spine shots you guys describe do sound possible. I hope he hasnt run off for a slow death but it could be possible with the lack of ravens or sign.

If anyone has dogs and would be willing to get involved with me, please pm me.

Thanks againgreat perspective and you do the hunting community proud by putting in all efforts to recover. How far did you hike in? Is this an overnight venture? 1 hour hike? Day trip, I'm certain someone in keremeos would have dogs? Horse help?

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Its a fairly solid hike in. I would have to guess close to 20km to where i took the shot. An over nighter would be my plan at this point. Possibly head in early morning saturday or friday evening.

Hopefully not closed down for fires.

Going in fresh with light pack will definitely make the search easier. I took the shot on day 5 and had already clocked over 60km so i was probably exhausted before i even began.

I appreciate all the tips and suggestions fellas. Ill head back with the intention of finding of runner not a dropper this time.

dblung
08-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Just curious. Were you up there scouting the 4th weekend of June?

Blainer
08-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Good luck, we can't change the past, don't beat yourself up, but we have some control over our future, you will sleep well knowing you tried your best.

.300WSMImpact!
08-30-2017, 09:37 PM
I helped an old guy that shot at an elk, the elk flipped horns down feet up after the shot, i searched for hours, and then days waiting for ravens, no hair no blood, maybe he slipped and fell?, it was the talk of the trip, we killed the bull 5 days later, good luck on what you choose to do, maybe if you go back you will get another shot?

604redneck
08-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Look for hotload on this site. His dog is unreal. Ill try and get you info.

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 09:49 PM
No mate wasnt me. July 8th i was in there

Chrispryn
08-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Looks like cathedral provincial park has been closed for the wildfire. I wander if they closed acces to the snowy protected area aswell.

walks with deer
08-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I disagree in 30plus heat you shoot a animal and dont find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Throw in the towel and admit you lost the animal.
Recovering a week old carcess and claiming tbe horns is down right stupid.. i saw a guy register boon and crocket game he found a week later..no feet there. If you want to?
A go look for that sheep cool hes probably still ticking.
B.go pick up some maggot horns there is no pride there cool.
C.go shoot another sheep cool.

But d go pick up some rotten shit you took the shot for the wrong reasons.

I would quit hunting tbose sheep for the season knowing i took one or go shoot another...

Ferenc
08-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Walks with Deer ....... FAIL !!!!!!!!

S.W.A.T.
08-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Did you punch the tag?

walks with deer
08-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Ferenc why are you going to look for maggots.

We hit 38 degrees today..i have high ethics thats why i wouldnt want to go pick up a rotten skull..

Dont hunt anymore for sheep or look for the cripple fine..

Sounds like a marginal spinal the thing could live 10 more years or be maggots..
I have vounteered for long recoverys but not just for some maggot horns.

grumps
08-30-2017, 10:43 PM
hey walks with der back off to each his own

srupp
08-31-2017, 01:40 AM
I disagree in 30plus heat you shoot a animal and dont find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Recovering a week old carcess and claiming tbe horns is down right stupid.. i saw a guy register boon and crocket game he found a week later..no feet there. If you want to?

I would quit hunting tbose sheep for the season knowing i took one or go shoot another...

Wow.seriously? You could not be more incorrect.the guy hiked in 20 kms, and out, several times plus hunting kms. He found sheep, and got off a shot at under 200 yards..all acomplishment. .of the animal he chose to hunt...
He is not stupid,, pretty harsh words can understand why many good hunters bail on this site..or refuse to post !
No feat there ? Obviously harder than finding a upright moving animal.this becomes a study in recovery efforts, skills found usually on African trackers..not every animal will drop and stay, these skills are mandatory in our chosen pastime .reading tracks, finding hair, direction of travel, uphill, downhill. .why..it's unfortunate. .but happens

Your tone, words..Throw in the towel, no trophy there..week old carcass claiming the carcass is downright STUPID..go pick up some maggot horns, go pick up some maggot shit you shot for the wrong reasons.

Throw in the towel..wow..have much more respect for the man's bravery coming on this savage all knowing site and asking for help and gets your face full of venom.the next will jump at the chance to ask for help, or admit things did not wind up perfectly.
Glad your perfect , and every animal dropped instantly as played out in the script .
The majestic sheep deserves more effort and less "maggot shit" descriptive terminology.this meant something special to him as it should.your characterisation is wrong and breaks down the wild sheep into descriptive slang, showing no knowledge on your part of shooting something truly epic to be celebrated for life .

If the sheep is dead..he can not shoot another one, only looking longer, and asking for suggestions, help will he determine the next step.
If he does not find blood.if he does not find tracks, if he does not find the remains.he can perhaps come to one of 2 conclusions.
1 the ram is dead and he just can't find him.you can not cut your tag..no animal to associate it with.
The ram is alive.he would be allowed to harvest a ram.on a guided hunt it would be over.

I'm sorry you feel that after 1 or 2 days it's not worth the effort, I disagree..i would treasure that ram even the more for finding out what went sideways, how far he went, and why and realizing how difficult it is to admit things were not perfect, and especially on HBC we certainly are getting a reputation for eating our young.then to see strangers share 5,10,15,20,30 40 years of field knowledge in helping you find your ram.thats what hunters do.always.
There is nothing you could possibly say that could remotely make him feel worse, or more upset.than he already feels....but hey good try you did amazing well your creative writing, s lagging, ridiculing that only showed no concept by you of many of the aspects of a hunt that demonstrates a respect of in this case a sheep and it's entire worth .to take a life requires utmost attempt at finding the animal..yes even just the head and horns .respect.

First time sheep hunter, first post asking for help....what did he learn from your contribution? What message will be received by the next hunter seeking to learn and become better...if you truly feel this way.im sorry perhaps knitting..when you drop one..it's only a specific stitch..
Sincerely
Steven Rupp

TexasWalker
08-31-2017, 02:02 AM

One of the stupidest posts I've ever read.

Chrispryn
08-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Thanks to all the people that have been helpful with your suggestions. Provided that snowy side of ashnola river is open i am still heading back in.

Im not looking to find a delicious rack of lamb when i get there. Also not expecting to find some trophy horns or a perfect cape.

I just want and need to know what happened and why.
This was my first successful LEH and my first ever sheep hunt. As soon as results were out i started planning with my hunting mate. I researched the area extensively, alot of information on this site. I trained physically wirh heavy packs multiple times a week. I scouted the area numerous times. I dehydrated all our own food. I was even told on nunerous occasions how bad the sheep population was and if I even saw i sheep i would be doing well. I even left my pregnant wife at home to go on this hunt.

Then when we get to the mountain I found the rams. Thr whole damn herd. Even the guide wasnt on them yet but i was. I spent 6 days up on that mountain. Hiking back to my tent after dark multiple times.

That hunt in itself was an accomsplishment of a lifetime. I'm proud of my efforts. I know i made some mistakes after the shot but im just trying to follow up on what happened. My text book hunt went sideways. I want to learn why and i want to get closure.

Thanks

bigredchev
08-31-2017, 06:07 AM
Giving up is a garbage excuse. For one it's not ethical in the least to throw your hands up and turn you back like a coward.

Secondly, giving up makes us hunters look wasteful which is the opposite of what we strive for.

Good job and going up again to complete the hunt

Big Lew
08-31-2017, 06:16 AM
There are those in the hunting community that lead by their ethics and good examples...
and there are those that remind us why there's so much negativity towards hunters.
I applaud your fine efforts, your determination 'to do right', and for you setting such
a excellent example for all of us. If I wasn't in the middle of a series of surgeries I would
be proud to come out with my dog and try to help find that sheep with you.

campking
08-31-2017, 06:24 AM

I agree completely with Srupp and Texas Walker! The young man is doing EVERYTHING right and I can tell you if I had a dog or was younger I would walk that 20 kms to help him.

ACE
08-31-2017, 07:00 AM
I disagree, in 30+ heat you shoot an animal and don't find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Recovering a week old carcass and claiming the horns is down right stupid.
I saw a guy register Boone & Crockett game he found a week later .... no feat there. If you want to?
A) Go look for that sheep .... cool, he's probably still ticking.
B) Go pick up some maggot horns there is no pride there .... cool.
C) Go shoot another sheep .... cool.

But go pick up some rotten shit you took the shot for the wrong reasons.
I would quit hunting those sheep for the season knowing I took one, or go shoot another ....

Recovering that ram is a personal and ethical quest for the OP.
'walks with deer' ....... you seem to be quite different than many of the hunters here.

whognu
08-31-2017, 07:23 AM
hey chris:

it always takes a while to recover from some random bullshit post..........

for me the hardest thing about your situation is the knowing, yet not knowing

in my 40 years of hunting I have left 2 in the bush (whities) and I know it is one sick feeling

from your reports you can be confident that you did everything right and it boils down to a bit of bad luck

as many have said you need to expand your coverage area substantially and 'generally' a wounded animal heads down hill

keep your chin up and we will all look forward to the pix of your trophy

be safe on the return trip

chris

Jelvis
08-31-2017, 07:30 AM
At 300 yards the bullet wood have opened up good. Maybe dying slowly and is laying in a ruff hard to see spot. Under a over hanging rock bluff and like a shallow cave.
Good luck and good on you for the fine effort your making.
Jel -- may you find this fine specimen, we pray you will -- very good effort your making a good example

Blainer
08-31-2017, 07:37 AM
I agree completely with Srupp and Texas Walker! The young man is doing EVERYTHING right and I can tell you if I had a dog or was younger I would walk that 20 kms to help him.He is welcome in my camp and is doing the hunting community proud. Srupp and Walker, excellent posts.

Ride Red
08-31-2017, 07:41 AM

The op is doing the right thing. Your comments are disgusting; you are not a hunter. Looks like you should take up bowling.

Darksith
08-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Ferenc why are you going to look for maggots.

We hit 38 degrees today..i have high ethics thats why i wouldnt want to go pick up a rotten skull..

Dont hunt anymore for sheep or look for the cripple fine..

Sounds like a marginal spinal the thing could live 10 more years or be maggots..
I have vounteered for long recoverys but not just for some maggot horns.

You really seem to be missing the point. He is a hunter that obviously in his mind has not satisfied himself that the animal isn't down. No one likes to end something when they are very sure they hit the mark and simply as stated, are in tough country and the puzzle hasn't come together mentally yet. When to quit the search is up to the individual, and for anyone to pressure anyone to stop that quest simply doesn't get it. If you have ever been that guy that has to look for what he shot, you should understand that its something that sticks with you, and I personally would continue the search until I decided the animal was still alive.

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2017, 08:19 AM
as I mentioned on another thread about elk, I got my one and only elk while doing a search for a WT fawn that may or may not have been alive...I had shot a lone doe with a really full udder so I went back to the spot that evening the next morning and the following evening as well to see if I left an orphan bambi (when you could take 2 does)....my efforts were rewarded by a 6x6 elk (in my avatar pic)

bc_buckshot
08-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Wow.seriously? You could not be more incorrect.the guy hiked in 20 kms, and out, several times plus hunting kms. He found sheep, and got off a shot at under 200 yards..all acomplishment. .of the animal he chose to hunt...
He is not stupid,, pretty harsh words can understand why many good hunters bail on this site..or refuse to post !
No feat there ? Obviously harder than finding a upright moving animal.this becomes a study in recovery efforts, skills found usually on African trackers..not every animal will drop and stay, these skills are mandatory in our chosen pastime .reading tracks, finding hair, direction of travel, uphill, downhill. .why..it's unfortunate. .but happens

Your tone, words..Throw in the towel, no trophy there..week old carcass claiming the carcass is downright STUPID..go pick up some maggot horns, go pick up some maggot shit you shot for the wrong reasons.

Throw in the towel..wow..have much more respect for the man's bravery coming on this savage all knowing site and asking for help and gets your face full of venom.the next will jump at the chance to ask for help, or admit things did not wind up perfectly.
Glad your perfect , and every animal dropped instantly as played out in the script .
The majestic sheep deserves more effort and less "maggot shit" descriptive terminology.this meant something special to him as it should.your characterisation is wrong and breaks down the wild sheep into descriptive slang, showing no knowledge on your part of shooting something truly epic to be celebrated for life .

If the sheep is dead..he can not shoot another one, only looking longer, and asking for suggestions, help will he determine the next step.
If he does not find blood.if he does not find tracks, if he does not find the remains.he can perhaps come to one of 2 conclusions.
1 the ram is dead and he just can't find him.you can not cut your tag..no animal to associate it with.
The ram is alive.he would be allowed to harvest a ram.on a guided hunt it would be over.

I'm sorry you feel that after 1 or 2 days it's not worth the effort, I disagree..i would treasure that ram even the more for finding out what went sideways, how far he went, and why and realizing how difficult it is to admit things were not perfect, and especially on HBC we certainly are getting a reputation for eating our young.then to see strangers share 5,10,15,20,30 40 years of field knowledge in helping you find your ram.thats what hunters do.always.
There is nothing you could possibly say that could remotely make him feel worse, or more upset.than he already feels....but hey good try you did amazing well your creative writing, s lagging, ridiculing that only showed no concept by you of many of the aspects of a hunt that demonstrates a respect of in this case a sheep and it's entire worth .to take a life requires utmost attempt at finding the animal..yes even just the head and horns .respect.

First time sheep hunter, first post asking for help....what did he learn from your contribution? What message will be received by the next hunter seeking to learn and become better...if you truly feel this way.im sorry perhaps knitting..when you drop one..it's only a specific stitch..
Sincerely
Steven Rupp

I don't toot anyone's horn but well blood said......cheers

Brew
08-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Don't listen to to walks with deer, your doing the right thing. I hope your able to recover the horns. Keep doing what your doing.

Ron.C
08-31-2017, 09:21 AM
To the original OP.

I applaud your tenacity and ethics. I had a similar situation a few years back with a goat. After combing some pretty nasty country for three days, I finally found it. I was hunting in Oct, but I still knew immediately that the goat had spoiled. I felt horrible. I cut my tag, boned it out and self reported to the local CO. I self reported because I felt guilty that I had did something wrong by not retrieving the meat before it spoiled, and retrieving the horns.
I recommend if you can, drop a line to your local CO and tell him what you are doing and your intentions to remove the horns if you find your ram.

Good luck. Hope you find him.

264mag
08-31-2017, 09:33 AM
2 years ago my son took a 250 yard shot on a massive muley buck. The deer kicked his back legs up, his chest hit the ground and he took off over the hill. The shot was taken at 820 am. We picked up 3 drops of blood about 100 yards from where he stood. Over the course of the next 8 hours we tracked the trail step by step and counted maybe 20 drops of blood and crawled hands and knees until there was no more blood and the tracks merged into a heavy game trail. I came back the next day and searched for another 6 hours.
2 weeks later my daughter and I spotted the deer alive and well. On the last day of the season I jumped him in his bed and killed him. He had a small scar on the top of his neck right above the shoulder. I determined that the bullet hit soft tissue on an upward angle.

I cannot tell you how bad my son felt about this, he was sick to his stomach about leaving this deer behind. After seeing how upset he was, I was bound and determined to find this deer. The Euro mount now hangs on the wall and reminds us all about the responsibility we all have when we pull the trigger.

Dont stop looking for that sheep, maggots or not.

Ltbullken
08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Don't listen to to walks with deer, your doing the right thing. I hope your able to recover the horns. Keep doing what your doing.

Totally agree.

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 11:01 AM
Good post srupp

bighornbob
08-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Hey Chris
I know what you are going through and its a sick feeling. I had a similar experience except I knew the ram was dead as I held it in my hands.

This is copied from the Before and After Pictures thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1040886.JPG

Do to some very unlucky events and a small mental breakdown on my part. The ram fell down the mountain a couple of hundred meters. I was able to get to him there (no pics) but once again gravity took its toll and he went another 200-300m down the mountain. I had to come up from the bottom instead of from the top and was unable to find the ram. Scratched and bloodied from a few slips and tumbles and heat stroke setting in (it was 34 degrees celcius that day) I limped home.

Two days later I went back to look for the ram. I found him in a slide and made my way up to him. After chasing a bear off the kill this is what I found.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC02916.JPG

Not only had the ram been fed on but in the mid 30 temps the meat was actually a medium rare. As you can see the horns actually rotted off the cores. The local bios were shocked that this could happen in two days as was the taxidermist.

This was down at the river once I skinned out the rotting hide and scraped off 1000 maggots (as you can see the brains are melting out of the skull).

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Photo_8.jpg

I was determined to find this ram as it was unfinished business that needed to be done. Even though I have a way bigger ram on the wall and got no meat from this hunt, I consider this hunt and animal one of my best hunts and memories. And every day when I pick up the "maggot horns" (and I mean every day as our dog is deathly afraid of them and I lay them on the couch to keep the dog off the couch:):)) I am remembered about those few days that went from exhilaration, to literal blood and tears, to exhilaration again despite the maggots.

Keep doing what you are doing, trust me you wont regret it one second regardless if you find him or not and don't let the few losers posting on this thread to deter your effort.

BHB

ajeatoo
08-31-2017, 11:13 AM
Wow that's crazy two days in those temps did that!! Great story, love the bit about maggot horns and the pooch. We had a Great Dane - big softy and big baby. I can relate haha!

Wild one
08-31-2017, 11:17 AM
To the OP complete respect for doing all in your power to recover the ram

Your mention of no sign this makes me question if your shot was lethal. You maybe looking for a ram that is alive and will survive. It seems like a good chance it's still alive. That said I was not there and I was not part of the search.

With the lack of sign I would not assume the ram is dead but I completely support putting in further effort to confirm it

Too far away to offer help but I hope you find the ram or confirm he is alive

Bugle M In
08-31-2017, 11:28 AM
I'd be out there too!
If you the opportunity to go back, do it...
These things happen, and even if you find it, and not much id left, atleast you know where the ram ended up.
It will be an experience that the OP will have, and something that can be shared for all to learn a little more when
this type of thing happens.
I know I have lost 2 elk and 1 deer over the years.
All 3 were hit, 1 elk I never found blood, and never saw ravens all week, so nothing more I could go on.
The deer, I found blood, but as the trailing went on, it dwindled to nothing....again, all week, I never found it, or
ravens to get any clues.
The last Elk, I hit, and screwed it up by not waiting to go in....and chased him away.
Again, the blood trail dissipated to nothing, and in the type of terrain and grasses, no trail to follow.
I spent all week there....but nothing....then on the last night, riding out, I saw ravens that seemed to be flying away
for the evening from across the river....and up the slope of the mountain?? (so the bull went up)
I had to get back home, but did report it....
Hard to say how long it took for that bull to die etc, but I was pretty confident, that it was the bull I had tried to take.
If you hunt long enough, this is going to happen...to most of us anyways.
The more people can share, maybe the less it will happen...or give people some insight at possibilities of where to look.
As for looking, I did the best I could, during those times......but sometimes it is just hard to find them.
And yes, it's at those times I wish I did have a dog.
Good on the OP to go back!

Walking Buffalo
08-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Hey Chris
I know what you are going through and its a sick feeling. I had a similar experience except I knew the ram was dead as I held it in my hands.

This is copied from the Before and After Pictures thread.

Do to some very unlucky events and a small mental breakdown on my part. The ram fell down the mountain a couple of hundred meters. I was able to get to him there (no pics) but once again gravity took its toll and he went another 200-300m down the mountain. I had to come up from the bottom instead of from the top and was unable to find the ram. Scratched and bloodied from a few slips and tumbles and heat stroke setting in (it was 34 degrees celcius that day) I limped home.

Two days later I went back to look for the ram. I found him in a slide and made my way up to him. After chasing a bear off the kill this is what I found.

Not only had the ram been fed on but in the mid 30 temps the meat was actually a medium rare. As you can see the horns actually rotted off the cores. The local bios were shocked that this could happen in two days as was the taxidermist.

This was down at the river once I skinned out the rotting hide and scraped off 1000 maggots (as you can see the brains are melting out of the skull).

I was determined to find this ram as it was unfinished business that needed to be done. Even though I have a way bigger ram on the wall and got no meat from this hunt, I consider this hunt and animal one of my best hunts and memories. And every day when I pick up the "maggot horns" (and I mean every day as our dog is deathly afraid of them and I lay them on the couch to keep the dog off the couch:):)) I am remembered about those few days that went from exhilaration, to literal blood and tears, to exhilaration again despite the maggots.

Keep doing what you are doing, trust me you wont regret it one second regardless if you find him or not and don't let the few losers posting on this thread to deter your effort.

BHB

I truly hope that others comprehend what you wrote and learn from it.

HarryToolips
08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Thanks to all the people that have been helpful with your suggestions. Provided that snowy side of ashnola river is open i am still heading back in.

Im not looking to find a delicious rack of lamb when i get there. Also not expecting to find some trophy horns or a perfect cape.

This was my first successful LEH and my first ever sheep hunt. As soon as results were out i started planning with my hunting mate. I researched the area extensively, alot of information on this site. I trained physically wirh heavy packs multiple times a week. I scouted the area numerous times. I dehydrated all our own food. I was even told on nunerous occasions how bad the sheep population was and if I even saw i sheep i would be doing well. I even left my pregnant wife at home to go on this hunt.

Then when we get to the mountain I found the rams. Thr whole damn herd. Even the guide wasnt on them yet but i was. I spent 6 days up on that mountain. Hiking back to my tent after dark multiple times.

That hunt in itself was an accomsplishment of a lifetime. I'm proud of my efforts. I know i made some mistakes after the shot but im just trying to follow up on what happened. My text book hunt went sideways. I want to learn why and i want to get closure.

Thanks
Good on ya man.....God bless your search..

markathome
08-31-2017, 01:25 PM

Thanks

Post of the summer in my opinion. Cheers

srupp
08-31-2017, 04:10 PM
Hmm walks with deer..it's not personal..

As for the sheep..i agree with northof49" I am thinking downhill too, hit hard enough to tip it over..hit hard.calies use downhill as escape routes usually. Incredibly small depression, behind rock, over a bank juniper brush..all can hide a down sheep.
From your shot description..and the fact most all misses are over top an animal..i am thinking high neural arch. ..
Look for ravens, crows, bears, magpies, coyotes..smell for foul scents..go slow..

Cheers and best of luck
Steven Rupp

DStewart
08-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Good on ya and best of luck. Representing us all well

REMINGTON JIM
08-31-2017, 05:27 PM

Thanks

Good on YOU ! :-) I agree on trying to find it and find out what happened ! Best of LUCK to you ! ;)

Cheers RJ

Chrispryn
08-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Thanks again for everyones support and helpful suggestions. Kirby got me a contact for a very helpful and eager fella with a proven dog. We head in tomorrow. So by sunday i will know one way or another what happened to my ram. A very hard lesson to learn.

Thanks again guys. Good to be a part of a solid community.

Cheers

ellenbill
08-31-2017, 06:02 PM
Be careful out there! Could be a grizz on it by now. Good luck.

LBM
08-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Thanks again for everyones support and helpful suggestions. Kirby got me a contact for a very helpful and eager fella with a proven dog. We head in tomorrow. So by sunday i will know one way or another what happened to my ram. A very hard lesson to learn.

Cheers
Good to hear, wish you the best of luck. I commend you on your efforts and ethics so nice to see now days.

Blainer
08-31-2017, 06:20 PM

CheersAwesome , good luck and nothing better to see than hunters helping hunters. A+ Kirby

walks with deer
08-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Good luck on recovery..all i was saying is if you where doing it for the horns and people encouraging thats gross..i have tracked another mans (strangers animal)14km and finished the deal..my dads freind wounded a buck and found it a week later and finished the job..good on you for being responsible and looking..as said carefull looking for potentialy rancid meat in that country.margjnal slinals will drop then fully recover hopefully thats the case.
Personaly i wouldnt take the horns home thats me.
I met a man who arrowed a 7 point elk in the peace and found the rack the next season..he took it home with pride.. i have seen book blacktails get new capes after 2months dead in the bush and get registered..
Not to be misunderstood i would look and hope..but would use as a learning tool and it would not go on my wall..
I am tainted by sheep hunters in the sense i have heard..shoot it 3 or four times so you have to pack out less.
I do not think original poster had this intent i just felt its more than likely a sad end.
Anybody who hunys enough looses sum..i remember the loses more than the harvest.

walks with deer
08-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Ps srupp your normally a solid dude no offense taken i was saying..
Simply ethically call that hunt over or shoot another sheep.
I broke my leg packing a goat solo..i had to leave it to get out..not proud just decided no point going back and let my goat tag that year rott..you can not tag what you do not have legally.

Chrispryn
08-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Cheers Walks with deer. You post did not offend me. I know i made mistakes and thats why i want to learn more about it. Where did i hit the animal? Did it recover? What else should have i done during my search?

While im still young and dumb enough, i dont see the harm in getting a few more miles on the body and truly learning the lesson. If nothing else it would just mean the world to my hunting partner and i to find out what happened. Like i said earlier we put alot into this hunt and the sad ending cuts deep , as it would with all hunters.

srupp
08-31-2017, 07:59 PM
I broke my leg packing a goat solo..i had to leave it to get out..not proud just decided no point going back and let my goat tag that year rott..you can not tag what you do not have legally.

Thank you.with Kirby help got a dog involved..will maybe know..with a group of sheep lots of fleeing sheep at the shot..but after tomorrow he will know, new hunter first sheep..shyte happens..
Good history of you helping others.
Cheers
Steven

Jack Russell
08-31-2017, 08:13 PM

Wow, pretty piss poor.

northof49
08-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Good luck and stay safe

walks with deer
08-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Jack russel..understand intent..original poster wants to close the file great..seemed somepeople where encouraging him to pick up horns because its a sheep..sounds like chrysprin is a pretty ethical guy and will do what he needs to do..

No foul intent towards him..i wish him luck and closure.

Jelvis
08-31-2017, 08:31 PM
Kirby's the man whoa nice on you hunter, excellent response on HBC from top class hunters Amen!
-- this is what makes HBC the top of the chain now!
And I was taught wounded animals go down hill so maybe try down a ways very slowly tho.
Nice to have a new member with such class.
Jello -- HELLO!

Sitkaspruce
08-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Cheers

Another positive post for hunters in BC!! And HBC!! Good to see other helping others and that there is still good people out there!!! Awesome connection Kirby!!!

Lets keeps this post positive no matter the outcome!!

Good luck Chris and no matter what happens, you hold your head up high and keep it there!! Your attitude and positivity is what is needed as a hunter and a person!! Thank you!!

Cheers

SS

todbartell
08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
good luck on your search

Did you punch the tag?

How do you explain to the CO that you have a punched sheep tag and no sheep. This is a CI animal

RiverOtter
08-31-2017, 10:50 PM
^^^^Could be wrong, but I took it simply as a question, not a suggestion that he should have cut his tag.

todbartell
08-31-2017, 11:58 PM
either way you do not punch a tag until the animal is recovered. If a guy decides to stop hunting for that species, essentially 'punching his tag' on a lost animal, that is his personal decision, but you do not take scissors to your tag and notch out the date of kill for a wounded/lost animal

digger dogger
09-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Hey chris, just got ur msg.
I haven't read this whole thread, dont cut ur tag, or you can get dumped on for having ur tag cut and didnt get the ram compulsory inspected.
Hope u find the ram.
Dave.

ASPEN
09-01-2017, 08:59 AM
For clarity - You were packing out a goat and had not cancelled your tag ? As would you not cancel your tag the moment you confirmed harvest ?

09-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Good on the OP seeking help .......even though first post here. That's a tough one, literally, and to bring to a public forum hats off to you and your efforts. Dam well rips ya apart when shat goes wrong! It's a sickening feeling.
Great to see a number of helpful folks on here, good folks helping others, you know who you are! They are consistent with their aid to others. I wish I could help in your search but unable too. If you can't find that Ram with tell tale signs of birds etcetc ...... I have a suspicion he's alive and well after taking a misplaced hit, some where. Shock is a funny thing, even a grazed upper neck, low neck, upper back will put EM down, or horn hit ...... Bring on the nasty headache ...... I salute you and your efforts. Now hopefully you can return to this site as a contributing member. We look forward to your stories.
Many of us are pulling for you. Best of luck to you and your helpers.

CT

Farmer
09-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Good luck to you in finding the sheep or at this point finding no sign and hopefully the he is still alive and recovering. I have done the 'snowy hike ' and know what the hike is without the stress of trying to find an animal. In this heat the hike will be even more difficult.
To walks with deer his season is over. There is no shooting a sheep now. The season is 7 days long so even if he found an injured sheep, he could not legally kill it. It is a huge effort to go back that distance to try and find an animal that at this point will provide you with no meat or mountable trophy. Kudos to you.

howa1500
09-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Cheers

Fingers crossed, best of luck! Enjoy the hike again (if you can), thats a fantastic area.

In my books you've definitely added a lot of positive hunting Karma for all this effort. Good on you for the dedication to go find it.

pro 111
09-02-2017, 01:43 PM

I would quit hunting tbose sheep for the season knowing i took one or go shoot another... I say horseshit to this . Even to get the horns back would be awesome at this point. best to go back and just take your time. Expand your area some like Srupp sais , use some ribbon and a real good gps.
Good luck on finding him. I hope you do. Sometimes this stuff happens and you just have to make the best of the situation.

Chrispryn
09-03-2017, 09:47 AM
So I dragged my brother in law up the mountain friday night to meet a super cool dude and his dog up at camp.

We went back to where i took the shot and started working the dog. The dog barely flinched in that area until he found and old old carcass. We worked in that area for about 4 or 5 hours then pushed back through the thick stuff below and again the pooch didnt flinch.

So im pretty confident that i messed up my shot pretty good and either whacked the horn or a non fatal through and through shot. That animal definitely isnt dead anywhere down there.

I feel really good about that. Id rather come away from my first sheep hunt without killing a ram than coming away killing a ram i didnt recover. A bit of closure feels great. Certainly a solid lesson learnt on this hunt.

Thank you again to all of you for your advice, suggestions and support. Anyone wver finds themselves in a situation where they need a second set of eyes or a strong back please get a hold of me and if im able id love to help out.

Cheers fellas
Chris

BCHoyt
09-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Good on ya man..

We need more hunters like you in this community!

Blainer
09-03-2017, 10:08 AM
So I dragged my brother in law up the mountain friday night to meet a super cool dude and his dog up at camp.

We went back to where i took the shot and started working the dog. The dog barely flinched in that area until he found and old old carcass. We worked in that area for about 4 or 5 hours then pushed back through the thick stuff below and again the pooch didnt flinch.

So im pretty confident that i messed up my shot pretty good and either whacked the horn or a non fatal through and through shot. That animal definitely isnt dead anywhere down there.

I feel really good about that. Id rather come away from my first sheep hunt without killing a ram than coming away killing a ram i didnt recover. A bit of closure feels great. Certainly a solid lesson learnt on this hunt.

Thank you again to all of you for your advice, suggestions and support. Anyone wver finds themselves in a situation where they need a second set of eyes or a strong back please get a hold of me and if im able id love to help out.

Cheers fellas
Chrisshame, but take solace in the fact that you made every effort required to find closure. You did the hunting community well and this Ram lives to see another day.
the Nasty Big Ram nightmares will subside.
good on ya, welcome in my camp anytime .
Blaine

Wild one
09-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Cheers fellas
Chris

Atleast you can now relax having a good idea what happened. To me this was the best out come

again good on you for putting in the effort to confirm the out come

Ourea
09-03-2017, 11:38 AM
He exerted all efforts to try and recover that ram.
Tip of the hat to him.
Unfortunately sh*t simply happens.
He should hold his head high and move on

My opinion is he did not hit the ram in the horns.
Having witnessed two antler hits by hunters they drop like a sack of potatoes in their tracks.....out cold.

Everyone I am sure respects your efforts and commitment trying to find that ram.
Time to move on.

Bugle M In
09-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Good on you!
Your scenario, in hitting game potentially, and then not finding it, happens to just about all of us if you are out there
hunting long enough.
I know some "extremely seasoned sheep hunters", who have hit a ram thru the horns, so it happens to the best of us.
Heck, I even had a buck, that is missing an antler.
Similar situation....shot the buck as he was running away...he drops, and I think game over, put the rifle down to pick up
my pack and radio...and suddenly, I realize he is back up, and running down hill.
No snow, and hard tracking terrain, and was only presented with a head to shoot at while running!?.....I ended up hitting
1" high!!
It did get his attention, and he angled broadside and in the open....done.

For everyone....."keep your eyes on the target....always......you can always grab you gear later"

S.W.A.T.
09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Did everything possible to recover the animal.
True Hunter
True outdoorsman

Ron.C
09-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Awesome job Crispryn!!!! A++++++++

Best thread of the year

Wrj
09-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Respect. Good on you making every effort!

srupp
09-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Great effort, true sportsmanship,
My 1500 pound moose from last fall had a bullet hole through his antler..it happens..
Good on the hounds an and dog.
Welcome around my campfire anytime.
Cheers
Srupp

Salty
09-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Yeah you can hold your head high Chris. First class effort you didn't think of quitting until you proved what actually went down like the others I tip my hat to you that's how it should be done. Weird stuff happens every once in a while the bullet could have clipped some brush near you or near the ram the bullet smacked something right near him causing a huge flinch making it look like a hit. But hey man, the dog doesn't lie if he's finding old carcasses but nothing else interesting in the area I'm voting clean miss.

BCHoyt
09-03-2017, 03:50 PM
If you ever come to hunt on the island get in touch! Your welcome in our hunting group anytime!

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Great Effort there Chris ! True Hunter with Ethics ! :wink: jmo RJ

hotload
09-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Sometimes,just sometimes you get there, and there is nothing left, but, you tried. I can't say enough about his tenacity and ethics for just wanting a conclusion to his first ram hunt, my kinda guy. This deer was shot in the pouring rain, it poured all night and was still pouring when we started the track. It went up the mtn., down the mtn., and back again,very very, difficult track. But we found it and that in itself was gratifying enough for me and the shooter as well. Keep Tracking, Have Fun,Shoot Straight....

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/64A1FF2E-921B-4EBE-9E60-38F7E25673FE-243-0000007F25D7959D.jpg (http://s601.photobucket.com/user/bowhunterbruce1/media/64A1FF2E-921B-4EBE-9E60-38F7E25673FE-243-0000007F25D7959D.jpg.html)

srupp
09-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Well put hot load. .like your hunting partner.
Cheers
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Big 3 PT hot load - good on Ya ! :wink: RJ

RiverOtter
09-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Looks like a heard of woofs passed by that Mulie.

Closure is a good feeling, even if it doesn't end up the way you wanted.

Bugle M In
09-03-2017, 10:25 PM
See, once hit, they don't always go "downhill" (most of the time...yes).
Have seen them "go up" as well.

hotload
09-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Your right, they always don"t do anything according to plan, but playing the odds, it's down hill and toward water. In this case we followed him as he stayed with a small herd, which made to decipher his particular track extremely hard as he left them and came back to them a few times and then veered off and left them for good. A well trained dog can pick out the stressed deer and track it. As I had mentioned this shooter was at the very least happy for a photo and put a proper conclusion to a day gone wrong, as is what Chrispryn wanted. I fully understand settling your mind and walking away with or without your animal thinking, nothing more could have been done. As I get calls to track for hunters I immediately see the stress leave their face once the hunt has been finalized, one way or the other..............................

71_camaro
09-03-2017, 11:30 PM
I got a stone on the wall that was shot thru the base ofthe horn.huge hole .probablywould have nocked him out cold

Chrispryn
11-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Hey all. Decided I might share the end of this story with all you.

As I mentioned in another post about a Mule deer, I have grown a huge love and obsession for this Mountain range and spent every huntable moment up there looking for big deer but secretly re-living the sheep hunt that got away from me.

On one of my many trips up that range, I had just returned to spike camp to thaw out after glassing the mornings movement. Again my Australian blood failed me and i needed to light a fire and get into some warm dry clothes. As Im huddled by the fire, 117 yards from me and my tent my ram and 2 of his buddies crossed a saddle, gave me a quick 'how ya going' head turn and walked out of sight.

It was so frustrating and so satisfying at the same time. Obviously if my tag was still valid i could have finished the job but at the same time it was incredible to see him cruising without injury.

How do i know it was my ram? Good question.
Well we watch that heard for many days before actually getting close enough for a shot. In that herd there were 3 shooters. 1 was clearly over the 3/4 limit and this happened to be the one I shot at. Another was a solid 3/4 curl but definitely less than the big guy. This ram was harvested by a friend whom had the same tag. The third ram was somewhere between the other 2 bit he wore an orange collar.

The rams that came through camp were the big 'no doubter' ram, the collared ram and a juvenile.

Anyway, I was very excited to see him healthy and ready to survive another winter.

Who ever manages to shoot him owes me some photos of any holes or scars

Thanks for reading

Chris

Greenthumbed
11-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Cool ending to a really great story, Chris. I'm happy to hear it.

whitlers
11-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Cool thanks for sharing. That must have been relieving

11-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Fantastic to hear Chris, you should be proud of your efforts..... Good luck drawing that again!!

All the best to you.

northof49
11-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Thanks for update...great effort and good ending. The ones that outsmart us make for much better memories in the long run....tend to replay what might have been or what could have been done differently.

The Hermit
12-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Cool thread... not sure how I missed it but the ending was great to read!

Knute
12-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Kudos Chris.

Solid effort in trying to recover that ram.
Seeing him near your camp at a later date is a fitting (I won't say end) continuation of your story with this particular ram.