PDA

View Full Version : East Kootenays Alpine Water

cpwrestler
08-29-2017, 05:13 PM
After several years living and sheep hunting in the Yukon, I moved to BC over the winter. I've researched and planned a bighorn hunt to the EK on the week of the opener. I've got all my ducks in a row, I'm just wondering what it's like finding water up high in the East Kootenays. In the Yukon, finding water is never really a problem but after this dry summer, I'm wondering if I can expect to find water in the creek drainages of the EK or if I'll be packing it in/up. I'm expecting to camp at or near treeline.

Thanks.

Salvelinus
08-29-2017, 07:44 PM
Had a big snowpack so despite the heat there's still lots of water. I was just out and little alpine potholes that can be seen from google earth, only 1-2ft deep in a normal year were still full.

Bugle M In
08-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Depends...
Some areas you have to hike down from the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the way, until you find the spring water seeping out of the mountain.
That's on some of the mountain where I used to hunt for sheep.
Lots of guys complained about that there.
But other areas may be much easier.

Greenthumbed
08-29-2017, 09:21 PM
I was up in the alpine in the Purcell mountains this past weekend near Golden. We were ridge walking well above the tree line. It was very dry up that high. A few small snow patches. Would have to melt that of course. There is alpine lakes in some of the bowls mind you but they are few and far between. If a guy wanted to stay in the high country it would be a good long walk from one good water source to another. Might be some puddles and or mud holes in the bottom of the bowls but I wouldn't count on it. We had to drink a lot of water too because of the heat. It was 30 degrees that day.
Where in the EK are you heading? It's a big area. Some drainages will have more water than others.

cpwrestler
08-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info, seems kind of like what I expected. "Should be some but I might run into some dry spots." I'll be in the elk river valley.