PDA

View Full Version : Anybody NOT whiten their euro mount?

Salvelinus
08-29-2017, 12:52 PM
I ran out of whitener and my deer has been on the wall since last fall. Was meaning to whiten it like all my previous euro mounts but after having it up there a while I gotta say I like the natural look, especially as it's a heavy Mulie with dark antlers against a white wall. Anyone not whiten their euro mounts?

waserwolf
08-29-2017, 01:00 PM
The last couple Euros I've done I haven't whitened them either. I also enjoy the more natural look. The last one I did came out with a slightly Blue hue to it due to soaking it in a strong Dawn/Water solution to pull that fat outta the skull. Either I left it in too long or made the solution too strong. I may whiten that one.

Sorry, no pics.

Bugle M In
08-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Cant u just use Peroxide???
didn't know there was an actual whitener?

Steeleco
08-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Peroxide is the desired whitener. But I for one like the "yellow" look, both my bear skulls and my white tail are untouched.

caddisguy
08-29-2017, 03:31 PM
My bear skulls haven't been whitened. I like the natural look vs the museum look :D

russm
08-29-2017, 03:37 PM
I didn't do mine, I was living in an apartment when I did it so I kinda gave up on it, it was a bit of a hassle, I didn't whiten it and it still has some crusty meat on it lol adds character to the garage.

Island Hunter 79
08-29-2017, 03:46 PM
I used hair peroxide mixed with regular peroxide and my skulls stay very white.

caddisguy
08-29-2017, 03:54 PM
I didn't do mine, I was living in an apartment when I did it so I kinda gave up on it, it was a bit of a hassle, I didn't whiten it and it still has some crusty meat on it lol adds character to the garage.

Last year I managed to get rid of all the crusty meat using the soak-rot method. I would pick at whatever would come off and change half the water every two days. It was stinky and messy business (which I am no longer allowed to conduct in our apartment)

The year prior I didn't even think of taking the head, especially since it was a head shot. That said, curiosity got the better of me next time I was in that area checking cameras a month or so later. Sure enough I found the top of the skull and one half of the lower jaw. It was already cleaned down to the bone. A few weeks after that I ended up stumbling on the other half of the lower jaw. It's missing a couple teeth, but other than the bullet going through the eye and blowing out the back of the skull it looks great after a little glue.

This year I just buried the skull in a cloth bag (didn't have an extra game bag to spare) ... I went by there in July to see if it was still there. Sure enough, nothing touched it. Stinks like crazy. I'll probably pull it out just before the snow hits if it's still there.

Sure is interesting to try all these different methods. Whitening is about the only thing I haven't done.

RiverOtter
08-29-2017, 04:15 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/gi9sedh2x/524803314.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
I was turned onto this stuff recently and it works great. 30% hydrogen peroxide. I used to soak skulls, but now I just pour a couple cups into a glass jar and trickle it over the skull. Keep skull in a container to catch runoff and pour back into the jar to reapply. A little goes a long way.

russm
08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
I simmered mine in a pot of water with dish soap on my apartment patio, used my 2 burner camp chef, after simmering I brought it to the car wash and blasted it off, I'd go a little light on the water pressure next time I did one though, I ended with the nose section being quite a bit shorter lol

SavageJB
09-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Riverotter...where did you pick that stuff up? Looks like the ticket for me.

Buckmeister
09-01-2017, 05:23 PM
I have also used the 30% Hydrogen peroxide in the past on deer skull caps. After boiling the skull and cleaning off any meat and gunk, I place the portion of the skull to be whitened in to an appropriate sized tray or container, then I lay strips of paper towel over the skull portion being careful not to have them touch the antler. Then I carefully put enough peroxide to soak the towel. I check it every few hours and re-soak before going to bed. By morning things have gotten pretty white.

Make sure to wear latex gloves or something when handling the strong peroxide. Get it on bare skin and it can tingle/burn pretty good, and turn your skin powder white!!!

uraarchr
09-01-2017, 05:51 PM
I simmered for some time with Dawn and carwash and simmered a bit more.kinda natural color but not dirty looking like some.i didn't want too white of a bleached look

RiverOtter
09-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Riverotter...where did you pick that stuff up? Looks like the ticket for me.
Briteland in Vernon BC.
They sell feed, irrigation supplies and farm supplies, so maybe look for something similar at the coast??

Stresd
09-02-2017, 07:05 AM
https://s26.postimg.org/gi9sedh2x/524803314.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
I was turned onto this stuff recently and it works great. 30% hydrogen peroxide. I used to soak skulls, but now I just pour a couple cups into a glass jar and trickle it over the skull. Keep skull in a container to catch runoff and pour back into the jar to reapply. A little goes a long way.

23 of August this year there is a safety recall on the 4 litre bottles. May want to check yours out

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2017/64294r-eng.php

Affected products4L (1 Gallon) volume bottles of Nutrilife Plant Product H202 Liquid 29% Oxidizer
Product descriptionThe product is H202 (hydrogen peroxide) liquid which acts as an oxidizing agent for plants. The bottles are 4L (1 Gallon) volume and white with a blue/green label. The affected product has a venting cap with indented lettering.
Hazard identifiedAn incorrect venting cap with indented lettering was used on 4L (1 gallon) bottles of H202 (hydrogen peroxide) 29%. When the contents overheat and the cap does not vent properly, the container can swell and rupture . The potential rupturing of the container poses a burn hazard to bystanders to any exposed skin, face or eyes, as well as a fire hazard to property.
As of July 31, 2017, the company has received no reports of incidents or injury in Canada. In the United States, the company has received one report of a fire with minor pro