PDA

View Full Version : Question about 7-17

Macgregor
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Hello. My group has a couple of moose draws for 7-17. Over the last couple of years we have hunted the Pass lake road in 7-17 and done fairly well. Due to hunting pressure and wanting to try something different we were thinking of trying a different area in 7-17. The only other place that looks like it has decent access is the Walker Creek FSR. Does anyone know if there is much for moose/deer hunting in there. I was in there having a look around last week and it's quite mountainous. I can see why it's known for Grizzly. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

338 winmag
08-01-2007, 06:40 AM
I got a fall grizz draw for the area , always hunted the torpy river side as well.

heybert
08-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Do you have a bull or cow draw? My dad has hunted the area for about 20 years and I've done it for 5. Send me a pm.

As for the Grizzly draw, stay close to Norton Road. There's a mean ol' Grizzly that lives around there.

338 winmag
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
ok thanks , not sure where the norton rd is but there is good grizz all through that country.

heybert
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Once you cross the bridge over the Fraser, Norton Road is on your right. It's named after the family who settled there and I believe there is still a Norton family living in the ranch @the end of the road. The grizz have also been seen around the old mill across the road and the sand pit.

moosinaround
08-01-2007, 03:03 PM
ecellent moose and deer hunting down the POB fsr, at about six km? worked in that area lots a few years ago, seen lots of moose deer mulies and whities. Just watch out for the big grizz's in the area. Lots of good camp sites down that road aswell. Good luck. Moosin

heybert
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't camp on POB. There's a reason why it stands for "Perfectly Old Bitch". If you get caught in there after some rain or snow...............good luck getting out. I'd stay along Walker Creek FSR where there's lots of good sites. Seen too many vehicles stuck on POB.

Macgregor
08-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think it sounds and looks like a pretty good area.

Gus
08-02-2007, 08:26 AM
The blocks up the POB have gotten pretty thick the last couple years and are getting kinda tough to hunt. The road is set up pretty good and there shouldn't be too much trouble getting in or out.

kgriz
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I was told the POB road was actually called the Prissy Old Bitch after an oldtimer trappers wife from a reliable source. I shot my first bull moose on the Walker near the back. The POB Road has a lot of swamps that you cannot see off of the road but that are close enough for a quad drag. Try checking google earth to view these. Tons of times around PG I've tried to find the perfect cutblock or area and hunted it hard only to see one on the road on the way or back especially if you walk along the road and try to call them onto it. You can be way quiter this way and cover more ground.

Gus
08-03-2007, 10:32 PM
:roll:POB = Proper Old Bitch.......not that it really matters:mrgreen:

kgriz
08-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I heard it from the area forester for canfor whose area it was about 10 years ago;he could have been wrong. Thought you might want to know. Whatever.