PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

drbb
08-28-2017, 10:43 PM
And no, the answer is not "I would hunt the bear!"

Here is the scenario: I was hunting once (solo and not too experienced, but I enjoy the solitude) and was glassing a cut block from a fairly good location an hour or so before the sunset. While there, a black bear showed up and after it noticed me, it ran away in a different direction. Nonetheless, I called the hunt and walked back to my car. My thinking was that if a bear was around and I connected with a deer, I had to be much more careful (i.e., afraid) while processing the animal and carrying it back (and I would have needed a couple of trips, potentially into the dark hours).

Now, my question is to the more experienced hunters. Assuming that shooting the bear was not an option (I do not shoot what I do not want to eat), will it be safe to hunt an area after you come across a bear in that vicinity? Would the bear put a large distance between you and itself or would it just hang around to see what happened? I know the answer to a great extent depends on the bear and how habituated/aggressive it is, but assuming you were in the same situation described in the above, what would you do?

Cheers.

Fella
08-28-2017, 10:50 PM
I would keep hunting. Bear buggered off when it figured out you were there so it seems like he had a healthy respect for you. Obviously I would stay aware of my surroundings but if everyone stopped hunting at the first sign of bears no one would shoot anything.

caddisguy
08-28-2017, 10:58 PM
What Fella said.

And my take is you need to assume there are bears around because there probably are. If the one you see buggers off that's a great sign. It's the one you didn't know was in the area or the one you knew about that sneaks around all cat like that would cause you trouble.

For the most part, black bears are extremely timid (guaranteed they bolt from squirrels dropping pine cones or grouse flushing on a regular basis) 90% they bolt on site, 9.5% go about their business and wont engage you or acknowledge your presence. 0.5% are going to cause confrontation. I was finally able to complete these guestimated stats after my weekend encounter with first ever jerkface bear.

I remember when we harvested our first bear we it was dark and we had another bear going about its business grazing around us. It quickly became immune to the air horn. It went about its business, as did we. Similar situation this year. I shot a boar in a feeding area that held a sow and a couple cubs. No doubt the cubs were in jeopardy as the boar had just moved in overnight. Sure enough she hung around clacking her jaws at me (or more so the commotion and scent of the boar) but no trouble. Just kept hollaring at her to calm down, did ya a solid lol

nelsonob1
08-28-2017, 11:09 PM
I would hunt the bear..

Bugle M In
08-28-2017, 11:09 PM
What Fella said.

And my take is you need to assume there are bears around because there probably are. If the one you see buggers off that's a great sign. It's the one you didn't know was in the area or the one you knew about that sneaks around all cat like that would cause you trouble.

For the most part, black bears are extremely timid. 90% they bolt on site, 9.5% go about their business and wont engage you or acknowledge your presence. 0.5% are going to cause confrontation. I was finally able to complete these stats after my weekend encounter with first ever jerkface bear.

I remember when we harvested our first bear we it was dark and we had another bear going about its business grazing around us. It quickly became immune to the air horn. It went about its business, as did we. Similar situation this year. I shot a boar in a feeding area that held a sow and a couple cubs. No doubt the cubs were in jeopardy as the boar had just moved in overnight. Sure enough she hung around clacking her jaws at me (or more so the commotion and scent of the boar) but no trouble. Just kept Hillary get at her to calm down, did ya a solid lol

Ya, having those Mexican Standoffs...or, should I say "Stare Offs" ( the ones inside 20 ft)is always an interesting time.
Always wonder what they are thinking when that happens.
Your right though, pretty much summed it up to a T.

Surrey Boy
08-28-2017, 11:10 PM
I'd get over my self-righteousness and shoot the bear.

Do you eat your own roadkill? Do you not practice any pest control? Collateral damage is a fact of life. Break eggs to make omelettes.

Drillbit
08-28-2017, 11:17 PM

Do you eat your own roadkill? Do you not practice any pest control? Collateral damage is a fact of life. Break eggs to make omelettes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

caddisguy
08-28-2017, 11:21 PM

True as well. We have enough bear to last until spring but we have a trouble maker in our area I will be happy to pay to have butchered and donated if he's still around come rifle season (not going after him with the bow because he is alert and has anger issues)

Mulehahn
08-28-2017, 11:31 PM
I would keep hunting/shoot any legal animal I wanted and had a tag for. There are very few areas a bear is not within a few km of you at any given time, and pretty much no area that allows hunting (short of goats). Best not to think about it too much and just enjoy your time outdoors

Bugle M In
08-29-2017, 12:05 AM
Black Bear, and he buggers off, I wouldn't worry so much.
If it gets late, just open it up, pull the guts out, put something in the chest cavity to keep it open, and hang your
sweaty hat, shirt or whatever on it....and come back at 1st light.
Grizz, if I was alone, might be different.
Depends how "open" my surroundings are, or what kind of thick crap it dropped down in, or could drop in?
If your uncomfortable, don't shoot, but as many say, bear are around, even if you don't see them.

I do recall a time when we took one elk, early in the week.
Bears showed up to the gutpile a day or so later, after we took the meat out already.
Saw one bear (black) get chased away by a much larger black, who took over.

After getting his fill, he sauntered off into the trees not far from the kill...probably taking a nap.
This was by no means a small bear, big enough to handle himself with most other blackies.
But, all of a sudden, 20 minutes later, he's runnin at full tilt in the same direction he chased off the 1st blackie!!??
Why....Grizz.
A day later, and my last night, I had a bull come out, broadside, with maybe at best 45 minutes before dark, only
about 500 yards from the 1st kill site....
I passed...and it was a nice bull...really nice.

Why?...because he was faced in a direction heading towards the 1st site, and it was thick stuff going that way.
If I didn't drop him in his tracks...who knows, I may have spent all that night, or next morning looking for him.
Maybe not to find him, and I needed to get back to work the day after that...but.....I also knew I had a GBear around,
and with 1 around a gutpile, probably more in the area by now.
Didn't think it was a positive situation....and not worth the hassle....
Some guys will gut and pack out thru out the night...by themselves.
For me, I will let it sit till the a.m if need be if I am alone...gut only.
OR, leave it, and that way you don't have the "smell of guts" in the air all night.
(how many have shot something, only to find it the next day, and all is fine with the meat....lots)
It may not be ideal, but if it gives you ease of mind, then that is the only person you need to answer to.
Honestly, there are times I think nothing of it, and times where for some reason, it does....maybe it is my "gut sense"
talking to me.
Probably why you see more hunters in the AM hunting, and by evening, they are already at camp....
They won't admit it, but the truth is, "they don't like the dark".
I think if you can look at it from a history standpoint, most people who work thru the night, do fine, don't get mauled.
But, being with hunting partners IS different then hunting alone.
Go with what works for you in your mind.

scotty30-06
08-29-2017, 03:24 AM
^^^^^sounds advice.....and some areas smarter then others.....but follow your gut....in the bush when you alone its normally looking out for your best interests lpl

Steeleco
08-29-2017, 04:59 AM
If you are worried about the one you saw, don't even begin to think about the ones you didn't. I had a buddy have a bear take a deer right of his pack frame that was on his back. never saw him coming. If you choice is not shoot what you don't eat that's fine and allowed. That WILL change when they want to eat you!!!

squamishhunter
08-29-2017, 06:26 AM
I'd keep hunting. There's so many animals that watch you that you don't know about already. Just watch your back trail.

Frango
08-29-2017, 06:40 AM
I like to think I don't shoot something I don't want to eat as well. I have had a few run ins with black and griz while hunting every time the safety was off and my finger was on the trigger. One can not be adamant about not shooting something when your life is on the line. The original poster sounds inexperienced and perhaps a little naïve. Which is fine .Life teaches you differently or you die on the high moral ground.

RadHimself
08-29-2017, 07:42 AM
I buy an array of tags for just that reason, bears and wolves are predators... if its a wolf, dead on sight. Bears im a bit more picky, but i REALLY enjoy sausages, roasts and pepperoni.

ive had several deer hunts turn into a bear hunt.

im hunting for meat first and foremost. But ill do the ungulates a favour first, especially in my stomping grounds

You have to assume there are bears around you at all times, %100

thats a fact of life in our forests

watch your backtrail, mindful of the wind.

ive been followed by cougars more then once.

last time it happened i was with my gf at the time, hiking up an old skid trail in 4-15... on the way back to the quad in the mid afternoon. It was on our trail from the quad. Defiantely an eerie feeling when u come around a corner and see a big kitty nose down in your tracks, then have a mexican stand off as you take baby steps foreward, pull your rifle up outta the scabbord, flop one in the chamber with the safety off as your gf wispers in your ear (can i take some pictures) lol

so after a couple pics and a couple
Hey kitty
Hey Kitty
HEY kitty
HEY KITTY

it buggered off

Blackies dont scare me too much

Grizzlies command my instant respect and have to be treated as a threat

Bush cats are shifty as **** and erk me.... i feel if im going to get attacked by anything while hunting its going to be a cougar.... and im not talking about in the bar

walks with deer
08-29-2017, 07:42 AM
It all depends on situation both bears mannerism as well as what I am hunting and how I am hunting.

I have been charged by bears on numerous occasions some times it doesn't Phase me.

some bears have caused me to hunt all new area`s. some bears got shot..

Linksman313
08-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Many factors to consider here. It really depends if you figured the bear winded you or not, if the bear winded you, chances are everything else in the harvest block probably did too, might as well head for the truck for the evening IMO. If not I would continue hunting the block with a naturally heightened awareness. As stated previous in this thread, count on bears being everywhere. Have grown to appreciate but respect their company over the years as they dominate the landscape around here late August into early September. Will try and harvest one again this fall. Hope this helps and good luck.

Wild one
08-29-2017, 08:44 AM
You are hunting in bc there is always a bear around you just don't always see them lol

Don't stress just pay attention when your out hunting

BigfishCanada
08-29-2017, 08:54 AM
I have gutted the deer and dragged it away from the gut pile, then look back and a bears on the pile. I always lock and load when gutting game, bears here the dinner bell when i shoot. They are smart to know gut pile from hunter

brian
08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
If the bear bolts I would simply keep on hunting but with one eye in the back of my head just in case. I would assume that the bear went far enough to feel safe but not much farther so it is probably still in the area. How far will it go? The only one who can really answer that question is Mr. Bear. I would also need to reconsider my tactics and try to figure out how the bears immediate presence will affect the animals I am hunting.

Ron.C
08-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Here is the scenario: I was hunting once (solo and not too experienced, but I enjoy the solitude) and was glassing a cut block from a fairly good location an hour or so before the sunset. While there, a black bear showed up and after it noticed me, it ran away in a different direction. Nonetheless, I called the hunt and walked back to my car. My thinking was that if a bear was around and I connected with a deer, I had to be much more careful (i.e., afraid) while processing the animal and carrying it back (and I would have needed a couple of trips, potentially into the dark hours).

Now, my question is to the more experienced hunters. Assuming that shooting the bear was not an option (I do not shoot what I do not want to eat), will it be safe to hunt an area after you come across a bear in that vicinity? Would the bear put a large distance between you and itself or would it just hang around to see what happened? I know the answer to a great extent depends on the bear and how habituated/aggressive it is, but assuming you were in the same situation described in the above, what would you do?

Cheers.

It's smart to be cautious when you see a bear in the area you are hunting, but seeing a bear doesn't mean he is a threat or your hunt will be ruined. In your example, I would have stayed and hunted the area. The good thing about seeing a bear or cat is that you can assess it's mood and make a decision on how you will proceed based on your comfort and experience.

But keep this in mind, we are always concerned about what we see. But you have probably had closer encounters with bears or cougars that you were not even aware of.

VFX_man
08-29-2017, 10:32 AM
this help? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/K9Bf5d7.jpg

HarryToolips
08-29-2017, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about him if he ran off like that....I would start eating bear if I were you, if you do your part to process it in the field properly, it makes delicious sausage or smokies in my experience..

Bugle M In
08-29-2017, 10:47 AM
If you are calling for game like Elk, definitely don't take a nap after a few hours under a tree.
You will be surprised what can come walking in, how close they get yet be so quiet.
We used to fall asleep, but Preds like Grizz or Blackies and definitely cougar, were a lot less abundant then
Now, you can spot more of them then the game you are pursuing.
Some people, like my Dad...never give bears a moments thought...ever...and I question some of the areas he has walked
thru....he hears ravens, and somehow he becomes intrigued to "go check it out"???!!!
Me, I have no interests to go see....reasons are obvious.
Same goes for walking thru cutblocks that I cant look over top of, and have lots of berries...and where I know bears
definitely roam in....I don't bother....I stay on the road.
One thing is this....in areas where Grizz don't roam (and I know they are moving in everywhere now), say like Merrit,
Kamloops area, I never give bears a thought, and walk where I want, shoot what I want and pack out what I want.
Reason, blackies are usually under "open season" in the fall, so they seem to know to stay away from humans/hunters.
But, in areas where seeing a Grizz is likely, I do have it on my mind....reason, Grizz aren't open to hunting in the Fall
(wish they were), so they are becoming less educated at being fearful of humans....I see and hear about it more and more.
So, hunting areas like that with partners will always give you some "peace of mind"....and nothing to be ashamed of.
We are all different in approach.

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2017, 11:22 AM
I am surprised no one has given you the SSS answer

Jelvis
08-29-2017, 12:29 PM
I'd crap my brain, whad, safety off gun up ready, not too close sucker, or a 180 nozler spit out of my 30 ott 6.
Jelly (n o ) go Slomo -- back off or die --

BornNRazed
08-29-2017, 12:36 PM
as much as it puts me on edge when encountering a bear in close range while out on an evening hunt, it usually tells me two things.

1. the animals are out and moving, Meaning the hunting should be good.
2. im doing something right to get within range of an animal (wind, sent, noise)

So Push on and be cautious, Good chance of turning the next corner and connecting with what you are really out there for. and as said earlier gut and prep the animal as fast as possible and come back in the morning for what you can't carry out.

Surrey Boy
08-29-2017, 02:29 PM
I am surprised no one has given you the SSS answer

Part of the last S is not posting it on HBC. Steeleco has reminded us of that a few times.

Fisher-Dude
08-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Awareness is a trait that is worth developing to your fullest potential when you're an outdoorsman.

And for those times that I'm elbows deep in guts and hunting solo, I use my mutt's nose and eyes to help with that awareness, and stay locked and loaded with perhaps a can of bear spray if I think there are g-bears around. If possible, I'll drag the carcass guts-in to an open area with better sight lines too.

After what happened to Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspell, I'm not into following the old CORE course's recommendation to unload my rifle after a kill.

08-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Jim Prawn had a good black bear story while hunting..... lol....

I would keep hunting. I have kept hunting.... I also know of several "Stolen deer" .... keep your wits about you ...
and if need be re think your "I don't shoot what I don't want to eat " thing.... sometimes its better to choke down a steak then be one lol.....

RiverOtter
08-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Awareness is a trait that is worth developing to your fullest potential when you're an outdoorsman.

And for those times that I'm elbows deep in guts and hunting solo, I use my mutt's nose and eyes to help with that awareness, and stay locked and loaded with perhaps a can of bear spray if I think there are g-bears around. If possible, I'll drag the carcass guts-in to an open area with better sight lines too.

After what happened to Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspell, I'm not into following the old CORE course's recommendation to unload my rifle after a kill.
Sound advice. Only addition I'd make, for anyone not familiar with the gutless method, is learn it. Not that a bear can't smell death, but leaving the extra blood and entrails inside the carcass definitely keeps the scent footprint down. That, and you're not up to your elbows or shoulders in guts, if it's an elk, moose or bison.

Bugle M In
08-29-2017, 04:41 PM

I think one of the rifles was found with a "jammed cartridge"!! (straight from the CO who was on site).
So, ya, leave them "In the Chamber" with the safety "ON".
And with partners, they should do the same.
That each gun is ready.
Also, make sure you get to "know your partners rifle" as well, and how "it's safety may differ from yours" etc.

mpotzold
08-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Cheers.

Like you I’m not a bear hunter.

What would I do?

If it was a black bear I’d continue hunting the area unless the bear showed aggression. Then I would walk back slowly with the rifle chambered and ready to fire.
In general the black bears scamper away not to be seen again. Happened more than a few times.
I have a video somewhere where Eve & I confronted a large black bear from about 50 yards. The bear was extremely agitated & started swatting & bending small trees with full force. We decided to leave the area( just north of Ward Creek near Gang ) instead of shooting him in self–defence.

On the other hand if it was a grizz I would slowly walk away with the gun loaded & ready. Would move to another hunting area ASAP.
Don’t forget to carry a properly loaded gun when in bear country & never let your guard down.

RiverOtter
08-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Not that it matters at this point, but IIRC from Gary Shelton's book, one of the rifles was short stroked, causing 2 shells to be jammed in the breach.

An extension of rifles at the ready though, is one right at the carcass and the second a short ways away, preferably downhill, unless topography dictates a better spot. Then verbally confirm with each other the state of both rifles being the same, ie, hot with safety on.
Bill and Shane were ambushed at the carcass. Assuming 1 hunter took the initial attack, at least a partner would have a fighting chance if there was another rifle away from where the bear was actually standing. Something to consider.

two-feet
08-29-2017, 05:43 PM
I would shoot the bear, then braise it with wine and herbs until fork tender, serve. Enjoy with a bottle of red wine.

HarryToolips
08-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Not that it matters at this point, but IIRC from Gary Shelton's book, one of the rifles was short stroked, causing 2 shells to be jammed in the breach.

An extension of rifles at the ready though, is one right at the carcass and the second a short ways away, preferably downhill, unless topography dictates a better spot. Then verbally confirm with each other the state of both rifles being the same, ie, hot with safety on.
Bill and Shane were ambushed at the carcass. Assuming 1 hunter took the initial attack, at least a partner would have a fighting chance if there was another rifle away from where the bear was actually standing. Something to consider.
I just bought the pack alarm, works great, and when out with a partner when we have a critter down in griz country, we'll always have our guns loaded and safety on (Im always loaded safety on field dressing anywhere anyway) and keeping very alert, but I'm thinkin I'm gonna set my pack alarm up around the kill site as we debone or field dress as well, why not..

mpotzold
08-29-2017, 09:46 PM

CRF(controlled round feed) or PF(push feed) in bolt action rifles?

Bill Caspell was holding a PF rifle & when the bear charged he panicked and jammed the rifle. CRF action prevents jamming.
The tragic story was the main reason I switched to a 375H&H Win Mod 70 Safari CRF- for bear protection & hunting.

From Bear Attacks –The Deadly Truth by Gary Shelton Pg. 183-184.
“Because Bill’s gun was downhill & sticking barrel first in the snow, he must have been holding it when the bear made contact”..…“He had time to bolt a round in the chamber but unfortunately worked the bolt again without completely closing it the first time and jammed another cartridge against the first.(The extractor must not have engaged the first round. I’ve seen this happen during range exercises when a shooter is excited)”

While one of us is gutting the animal the other stands guard -rifle chambered with safety on.

RiverOtter
08-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks mpotzold, I knew I didn't have it quite right.
I've often wondered too, if he didn't just dropped a round in the pipe, but didn't engage it with the bolt for safety reasons. A (CRF) rifle would act the same way in that scenario. In the heat of the moment he just pulled the upright bolt handle out and fed another round into the back of the already chambered round.

To be honest, in situations where I've got a partner and there's a chance I'd be grabbing his rifle, I prefer a fully locked up round with the bolt handle in the upright position. I've seen safeties bobbled many times, especially switching between 3 pos and 2 pos styles.

RiverOtter
08-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Not a bad plan Harry, especially in bear rich areas where they've gotten a little bold due numbers and lower hunting pressure. Mr. Shelton nailed it when he said day time bold bears were the most likely to get shot, as well as the best ones to remove from the population.

scotty30-06
08-30-2017, 03:00 AM
Most black bears are like big raccoons...hahah mind you being in surrey for a few years I have seen some pretty mean raccoons lol....that being said must always respect them and know their warning signs....jaws clacking and body posturing....wife and I were sitting eating dinner in a dead end clearcut we were calling home for the night....had a b bear come in around evening and grazzed on berries and grasses within about 75 yards while we sat eating dinner....few times the near looked up amd took a step or two...I would stand up and bear would run 10 yards back and go back to grazzing....getting pretty dark and knowing that bear was close ...dinner done and bear at about 50 yards still paying little to no attention to us....gave him a couple "get outta here bear"...spooked him a bit butnot enough....12 gauge into treestump few yards away from me sure changed his pace.......thats what I mean by body language....im sure he is a fine bear and was enjoing a evening meal like us.....had I seen any aggresion or even curiosity I would have been much more wary....I had gun beside me and distance to react.

Squamch
08-30-2017, 06:42 AM
We had a sow popping her teeth at us last bow season. We temporarily departed. She followed us part way out staying just down the hill out of sight.

But if it's just a bear doin bear stuff...carry on unless it's a big one, if that's the case, I'll shoot it and eat it.

albravo2
08-30-2017, 06:54 AM

Judgey much?

This from the guy that complains that HBC has too many critical opinions.

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2017, 10:01 AM
I think one of the rifles was found with a "jammed cartridge"!! (straight from the CO who was on site).
So, ya, leave them "In the Chamber" with the safety "ON".
And with partners, they should do the same.
That each gun is ready.
Also, make sure you get to "know your partners rifle" as well, and how "it's safety may differ from yours" etc.

To add, I also have a nice little 12 ga Maverick Security that often wears its 18 1/2" barrel.

Used it as the "guard gun" when I was dressing out a nice WT doe last year solo in g-bear country. A bunch of slugs in the tube and one in the chamber with a quick 2-position cross-bolt safety. Bob's yer uncle.

Surrey Boy
08-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Judgey much?

This from the guy that complains that HBC has too many critical opinions.

Yet I still make unpopular posts. There's intended to be some nuance inferred.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Man, the way this thread is going....the OP isn't even want to go and step out of the truck! especially if he is new to the
"lifestyle and hunting".

tomahawk
08-30-2017, 10:49 AM
There are black bears everywhere I have hunted over the decades. I never or seldom worry or think about them unless I see them. When I was solely a bow hunter I spent countless days every year putting stalks on blacks to hone my hunting skills in stalking an animal. When I got within 20 yds I would draw my bow and take aim but never would release the arrow, I just called out "boo" and watched each and everyone of dozens of blacks get the heck out of dodge. Some would fall from being so scared and claw at the ground as they regained traction, all ran away from me, some would get into thick bush and growl and snap their jaws and shake trees. I never ever would do this to a sow with cubs or a griz...FYI. When ive got meat in the field I keep my ears and eyes open, had to run a few blacks off my late kill the next morning when I returned to get the dressed meat but not many.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 12:58 PM
You know, I have had a few close encounters (scares) with Grizz.
Biggest fear is always walking into OR WORSE, finding myself in between a sow and her cubs, OR, walking into a
gutpile from a previous hunters kill that I was unaware of.
NOTE: keep yourself aware of the Ravens around you.
You'll either hear a pile of them, all in one area, near the ground, which will tell you something is dead right there OR,
You will notice ravens here and there, sitting on the trees, but you will realize there are quite a few around, which means there is something dead near by....but....something bigger is now on that piece of meat ie bear.
BUT, this biggest scare I ever had was being stuck in a "Lightning Storm"....up close and too personal for my comfort!

scotty30-06
08-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Yup being caught up in a storm is not joke.....hunting a favorite spot of mine....was suppose to drizzle that day nothing crazy.....im 6 hour hike from the truck when over the hill comes wind and absolute down pour...huge banks of fog and just like that my trail back disappears into the storm.....shyyyt....spent that night nessled up under and overhang and waited out the night...woke to a clear blue sky.....and trail laid out infront of me like a golden carpet in the sun....thank god im going home lol

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:03 AM

If I do not want to eat bear, I do not shoot it (self-defense is different). As for roadkill and pests, I do not shoot them either.

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:05 AM
If it gets late, just open it up, pull the guts out, put something in the chest cavity to keep it open, and hang your
Depends how "open" my surroundings are, or what kind of thick crap it dropped down in, or could drop in?
If your uncomfortable, don't shoot, but as many say, bear are around, even if you don't see them.

Bears showed up to the gutpile a day or so later, after we took the meat out already.

After getting his fill, he sauntered off into the trees not far from the kill...probably taking a nap.
This was by no means a small bear, big enough to handle himself with most other blackies.
But, all of a sudden, 20 minutes later, he's runnin at full tilt in the same direction he chased off the 1st blackie!!??
Why....Grizz.
A day later, and my last night, I had a bull come out, broadside, with maybe at best 45 minutes before dark, only

Why?...because he was faced in a direction heading towards the 1st site, and it was thick stuff going that way.
If I didn't drop him in his tracks...who knows, I may have spent all that night, or next morning looking for him.
Maybe not to find him, and I needed to get back to work the day after that...but.....I also knew I had a GBear around,
OR, leave it, and that way you don't have the "smell of guts" in the air all night.
(how many have shot something, only to find it the next day, and all is fine with the meat....lots)
It may not be ideal, but if it gives you ease of mind, then that is the only person you need to answer to.
Honestly, there are times I think nothing of it, and times where for some reason, it does....maybe it is my "gut sense"
talking to me.
Probably why you see more hunters in the AM hunting, and by evening, they are already at camp....
I think if you can look at it from a history standpoint, most people who work thru the night, do fine, don't get mauled.

Thank you to you, caddisguy, and Fella for your insights

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:08 AM
If you are worried about the one you saw, don't even begin to think about the ones you didn't. I had a buddy have a bear take a deer right of his pack frame that was on his back. never saw him coming. If you choice is not shoot what you don't eat that's fine and allowed. That WILL change when they want to eat you!!!

I agree on all points.
I have seen fresh bear poop in a spot I walked through 15 minutes earlier without ever noticing the bear...

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:09 AM
I like to think I don't shoot something I don't want to eat as well. I have had a few run ins with black and griz while hunting every time the safety was off and my finger was on the trigger. One can not be adamant about not shooting something when your life is on the line. The original poster sounds inexperienced and perhaps a little naïve. Which is fine .Life teaches you differently or you die on the high moral ground.

I intend to continue living on the moral high ground. BTW, I have no problem shooting a bear that threatens me, but not one that runs away and I only think might come back.

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:16 AM
this help? ;)

It did; I prefer Koalas.

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:21 AM
I'd crap my brain, whad, safety off gun up ready, not too close sucker, or a 180 nozler spit out of my 30 ott 6.
Jelly (n o ) go Slomo -- back off or die --

I had the gun with safety on, but frankly after the bear noticed me, it just ran away before I took the safety off; the whole thing possibly took only a few seconds and the bear was still 100ft or more away. The encounter was not scary (him running away dampened the instant emotions).

fuzzybiscuit
08-31-2017, 12:23 AM
I'd kill the mofo...rip his hide off and wear it while I do my little kooky dance...

Bout time them bears learn their not top of the food chain...

https://s26.postimg.org/ny7mkcbnd/IMG_0630.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ltn9j9a0l/)

fuzzybiscuit
08-31-2017, 12:26 AM
But if you want to run back and hide in your Prius that's cool too...

drbb
08-31-2017, 12:34 AM
Deleted by drbb

fuzzybiscuit
08-31-2017, 12:40 AM
First rule of fight club is...you can't talk about fight club...

Would you elaborate? I did a search and nothing came up on SSS; just curious to know what it means...

fuzzybiscuit
08-31-2017, 12:51 AM
Like was previously said, no matter where you shoot a deer there will be a bear that heard it. I'm personally not worried about Black Bears but I'd probably think twice about shooting a deer if I just saw a Grizzly and was alone. It all comes down to your personal comfort level. That level of comfort will more than likely go up the more time you spend in the bush.

I spent most of my life hunting on the Island and have seen thousands of Black bears over the years. I'm very comfortable around them when hiking, fishing or hunting. I used to go off the Island on a couple hunting trips a year and my exposure to Grizzles is very limited. The few times I found myself close to them I definitely felt uneasy. Probably wouldn't have shot a deer after just seeing one. Well...unless it was a good one..lol.

Surrey Boy
08-31-2017, 07:29 AM
If I do not want to eat bear, I do not shoot it (self-defense is different). As for roadkill and pests, I do not shoot them either.

That's completely your choice. I just don't have any better advice that I can give honestly. You either eliminate the bear, accept the risk posed by the bear, or withdraw. I can't think of anything that wouldn't fit into those categories.

SSS = Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. SHUT UP is the crucial part. HBC forbids its members from incriminating themselves or hunters in general.

RiverOtter
08-31-2017, 08:19 AM
And here I thought SSS was our very own Stone Sheep Steve??? Haha

MichelD
08-31-2017, 09:53 AM
I looked across a clear cut bowl one time and about 100 yards away was a nice two point feeding on one side of a big stump and on the other side a big black bear.

I had a bear in the freezer already and chose not to shoot the deer.

I'm sure the bear would have run away at the shot, but you know they don't go far, and I had concerns about what he might do if he smelled blood and guts had I chose to shoot the deer.

ForestWalker10
08-31-2017, 10:33 AM
depends on if i had a tag or not, i would shoot it. if i didnt, then i would do my best to get myself outta there before resorting to killing the bear in self defense. it would have to charge me though, or do other things that signal its pissed off at you, to the point where its going to be violent.

RiverOtter
08-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Interesting thing is, a black bear that's considering you as its next meal, is very likely going to show very little to no aggression. Predatory behaviour could easily be mistaken for curiosity.

A black bear displaying what he "could" do to you, likely won't make contact. Jaw popping, swatting the ground, huffing etc.

Ohwildwon
08-31-2017, 06:23 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^

Or just plain sneak up on you like a cat....

scotty30-06
08-31-2017, 08:42 PM
Yup if they are hunting you they are quiet as a mouse....creepy seeing them creep.

HarryToolips
08-31-2017, 08:45 PM
Interesting thing is, a black bear that's considering you as its next meal, is very likely going to show very little to no aggression. Predatory behaviour could easily be mistaken for curiosity.

A black bear displaying what he "could" do to you, likely won't make contact. Jaw popping, swatting the ground, huffing etc.
Exactly, the huffing jaw popping etc is them just being scared or nervous in my experience..

Greenthumbed
08-31-2017, 09:53 PM
In the 20 years that I worked in the bush I saw probably 100+ black bears I'm sure. Never once was one aggressive or particularly scary towards me. Very rarely did we have a gun and when we did it was always left in the truck. Usually I could clap my hand and tell the bear to "get the hell outta' here!" And he'd move on. If he didn't we'd give him his space and we'd move on.
In all those years I only saw a handful of grizzlies. These are a different beast, for sure! Definitely kinda scary. Once had one chase me and my crew around a cut block and then stalk us for 7+ Km in the wrong direction from our trucks before we got into radio reception. We had to get a pick up from a fellow bush worker. That bear was a *******!

Jelvis
09-01-2017, 12:54 PM
I don't even go into heavy grizz area, I respect the big boar. I respect the momma more, with cubs!
You better not get in between mom and her kids or you could be raven meat.
If a person sees a bear, then avoid it, go way around or some plan to not get the bear interested in you.
If your bear hunting that's a little different, then observe for size, age etc, color, head size.
Bears skull is measured in circumference. Big head is good.
Jel -- Give a bear respect, it's his or her living room, bedroom and back and front yards.

slowjo
09-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Why....Grizz.

talking to me.

This is beautiful advice.

bigben
09-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Take pictures unless it wants to become friendly