PDA

View Full Version : back country restrictions

Big Lew
08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Currently throughout most of the Cariboo and Kamloops regions there are
travel restrictions in place. ATVs are not allowed on FSRs but on-highway
vehicles are.
I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer from our government as to what
exactly is defined as a recognized road in their recent road and off-road usage.
Does this mean that highways and forest service roads can be used by on-highway
vehicles, but any logging roads into cut blocks are closed?

MichelD
08-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Buddy and me cancelled our Sept. 1 Region 3 alpine 4-point hunt because he said the roads into the area we go to annually were completely closed. I actually have not found anywhere that states that. We have no quad.

Whonnock Boy
08-28-2017, 01:56 PM
I'm going out with my boy for the youth season, and my take on it is, anything that has predominantly gravel showing and no substantial grass growing, I'm driving on it. With that said, we will error on the side of caution when having to decide if a road is "open" or not.

Linksman313
08-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Does this mean that highways and forest service roads can be used by on-highway
vehicles, but any logging roads into cut blocks are closed?

Very good question Big Lew, seeing all the threads starting on this subject in the past 2 days it seems many of us have the same query. This last bit you mentioned is almost verbatim from the RCMP officer at the GF shell station Saturday morning, he said all regularly maintained (?) FSR's are open, all spur roads are closed, he also mentioned after some prodding by myself that some enforcement would be at the judgement of the authority at hand (again ?)
Links

swampdonkey
08-28-2017, 02:15 PM
I'm going out with my boy for the youth season, and my take on it is, anything that has predominantly gravel showing and no substantial grass growing, I'm driving on it. With that said, we will error on the side of caution when having to decide if a road is "open" or not.
I'm doing the same .

08-28-2017, 02:29 PM
im going with Wonnock boys take as well....

Whonnock Boy
08-28-2017, 02:41 PM
I guess I should have said I'll be in regions 3 and 8....

08-28-2017, 02:48 PM
to late....lol...

Big Lew
08-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Apparently, as "Linksman313" posted, only recognized Forestry Service Roads are open
to on-road vehicles and there will be increased patrols, especially this long weekend, to
insure compliance. This would mean that any logging roads and their spurs coming off
a FSR on crown land are out of bounds. This also means that if hunters wish to hunt cut
blocks not alongside a FSR, they will have to use shoe leather both in and out.

Whonnock Boy
08-28-2017, 03:16 PM
A big ole Srupp hmmmmmm....... I'm going to stick with my initial comment based on a little further research. Every road, FSR or spur is "defined" on a map of some sort with the forest service. If it's not, I would think it is completely deactivated. Having a restriction as ambiguously worded as that is going to leave it up for interpretation, and that is what I have done, interpreted it. ;)

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=499#ForestUseRestrictions

"In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces."

de·fine
dəˈfīn/
verb
past tense: defined; past participle: defined

state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.

Big Lew
08-28-2017, 06:33 PM
"A big ole Srupp hmmmmmm......." If that was meant as a dig than I'm honoured. I have
great respect for Srupp and his concern for what's right and wrong. Not many try so hard to
help others in the hunting and fishing community.

I've also been doing more research, including phoning the Logan Lake RCMP detachment for
their position on the situation. According to the officer I spoke with, using common sense and
extra caution should keep you out of trouble. He further said that as far as he was concerned,
if the road was well maintained, had a gravel or dirt surface devoid of any flammable materials,
and those users made sure not to park on or near flammable materials, unless he gets a more
direct and updated notification before the long weekend, they should be alright. Common sense
was his frequent comment.

Linksman313
08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Having a restriction as ambiguously worded as that is going to leave it up for interpretation, and that is what I have done, interpreted it. ;)

Well said Whonnock! I love the color grey

britman101
08-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Aside from back country access, I think the biggest announcement will come next week for the Cariboo Chilcotin with regards to hunting season closures for some species. This has been a devastating wildfire season for the interior of the province and I believe an announcement will be made next week on which areas will be affected.

RadHimself
08-29-2017, 08:17 AM
If its not deactivated im driving on it, they can take this off highway travel restriction and shove up a dark hole. Loggers are still runnin, wtf is the difference

BigfishCanada
08-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Ignorance is not an excuse, many raods in Cariboo/kamloops are closed, it was 30 yesterday at the lake and its a tinder box up them roads. The amount of CO's and cops patrolling my area is insane.

Big Lew
08-29-2017, 09:11 AM
As the cop said, roads that have flammable material on their roadbed, deactivated or not,
are the ones being targeted, so if you're caught on one of them be prepared to pay a heavy
fine. Most of us realize the dangers and act accordingly, but as for everything, the few that
are careless, have no common sense, or much worse, don't give a care about the possible
consequences of their actions, spoil it for the majority that do. I hope I'm wrong, but I can
foresee a few forum members receiving fines, especially that the tinder dry conditions continue
to get worse.

LuckyHorseshoe
08-29-2017, 10:43 AM
I was sent and email regarding future atv restrictions and possible bag limit changes for the 2018 season. I don't know how I could post it on here.... pm me of you are interested. Basically it was due to the increase of hunting pressure in reg 3 and also the elephant hill fire.

leannejason
08-30-2017, 04:06 AM
Basically, Regions 3,4,5 & 8 are closed for O.R.V. use. (quads, side by sides, dirt bikes etc.)

stan
08-30-2017, 04:13 AM
If its not deactivated im driving on it, they can take this off highway travel restriction and shove up a dark hole. Loggers are still runnin, wtf is the difference
Loggers are not running in the Okanagan for sure.

BRrooster
08-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Im printing out a copy of the "Fire bans and restrictions" info and taking it with me.

2chodi
08-30-2017, 04:56 AM
Call the Williams Lake office if you have specific questions:

Good afternoon Cariboo region Wildlife Advisory Committee members,
Access to certain areas for hunting in the Cariboo region will be restricted due to closures under the Wildfire Act. Please see the following notice:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting

Wildfire Notice: Due to severe wildfire activity, please be advised that vehicle and access restrictions are in place in portions of the province to prevent human-caused wildfires and protect human safety. While planning your angling, hunting, or trapping expedition please visit fire bans and restrictions (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions) for the most up to date information.
Note that wildfire activity in parts of the Caribou and Thompson regions is particularly intense, with large portions of these areas still burning. If your hunt is planned for any of the following Management Units please ensure you first familiarize yourself with the forest use restrictions in place in those areas:

Cariboo: MUs 5-3, 5-4, 5-6, 5-11, 5-12, 5-13 and 5-14.
Thompson: MUs 3-17, 3-18, 3-29 and 3-30

Hunters are reminded that these restrictions are in place to ensure their safety and the safety of firefighters on the ground.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

The specific Forest Use restrictions and maps by fire centre are listed at the following website:

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

Information on BC Parks closed due to wildfire hazard can be found on the BC Parks website:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

Information on Rec Sites and Trails closed due to wildfire hazard can be found on the Rec Sites and Trails website:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails

No hunting closures have been put in place in the Cariboo region.

We are in the process of developing mapping to better illustrate the overlaps that these Wildfire Act restrictions have with wildlife management units, limited entry hunt zones and guiding territories.

338 whisper
08-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Region 4 is the same

Forest Use Restrictions

Effective at noon (Pacific time) on Friday, Aug. 4, 2017, the operation of any off-road vehicle for recreational purposes on Crown land will be prohibited throughout the Southeast Fire Centre. In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces.For more information read the following IB: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2834
This step is being taken to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety. The operation of any off-road vehicles in these regions during the current wildfire situation creates a potential wildfire risk. While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road.
The prohibition of off-road vehicles and on-highway vehicles does not apply to private lands or national parks. It also does not apply to emergency responders or to agriculture or commercial/ industrial users who operate vehicles for farming, emergency response or business purposes.
Effective immediately, Aug. 29, 2017, there is an area restriction in effect for Moyie Lake.This area restriction means that no watercraft are allowed on Moyie lake at any time.
. In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces. This means only F.S.R with no vegetation growing on road from ditch to ditch . This is what is told to day by the southeast forest district.
Here is anther link with more infohttps://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0255-001499

Elkhound
08-31-2017, 04:23 PM
This means only F.S.R with no vegetarian growing on road from ditch to ditch . This is what is told to day by the southeast forest district.

Hahahahaha So this is why there are so many vegetarians. We are growing them.

338 whisper
08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
stupid spell correct

srupp
08-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Hahahahaha So this is why there are so many vegetarians. We are growing them.

Good eyes..lol
Srr

Elkhound
08-31-2017, 05:06 PM

Good eyes..lol
Srr

You might remember Steven.

Almost as good as about 11 years back when a member was asking advice on elf hunting......... he meant elk of course but the members gave him some hilarious advice for about 3 pages. *****

srupp
08-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Hmmm humour is gud"..
Always appreciate your wit and wisdom.
Steven

kagia
09-01-2017, 11:21 AM
So I wonder what they consider an on-highway vehicle.

I'll likely be taking my factory plated dual sport motorcycle out this weekend. The bike is off road capable, but I'll be riding a few hours on the highway to get where I'm going, so does that make it an on- highway vehicle?

No trails, deactivated roads, anything with any kind of vegetation growth, or any other kind of flammable material that could be ignited by a hot header pipe.

rimfire
09-01-2017, 11:59 AM
So I wonder what they consider an on-highway vehicle.

I'll likely be taking my factory plated dual sport motorcycle out this weekend. The bike is off road capable, but I'll be riding a few hours on the highway to get where I'm going, so does that make it an on- highway vehicle?

No trails, deactivated roads, anything with any kind of vegetation growth, or any other kind of flammable material that could be ignited by a hot header pipe.

I swear I read in one of these links that bikes were included in the ORV ban and it didn't define on or off road motorcycles. I would be leery if I were you.