PDA

View Full Version : jet boats

Woodrow
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
So lets say you got 30 to 40 grand burnin a hole in your pocket and you have a new hunting boat in your sights, what would you buy and why?

Woodrow
07-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Whats a good boat, Nied boats look nice so does omineca marine and ali craft too. Are they pretty much the same just differnt makers or what.

BlacktailStalker
07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
North River and Silverstreaks are nice.
If you buy one of those you can thank me and we'll go jet the fraser for HOG mulies :)

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&currencyid=100&boat_id=1724714&checked_boats=1724714&back=%2Fcore%2Flisting%2Fcache%2FsearchResults.jsp %3Fsm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue%26currencyid%3D100%26luom%3 D126%26man%3Dnorth%2Briver%26slim%3Dquick&searchtype=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&currencyid=100&boat_id=1752195&checked_boats=1752195&back=%2Fcore%2Flisting%2Fcache%2FsearchResults.jsp %3Fsm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue%26currencyid%3D100%26luom%3 D126%26man%3DNorth%2BRiver%26slim%3Dquick&searchtype=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&ybw=&slim=quick&sm=3&is=&type=&man=Northwest+Jet&luom=126&fromLength=&toLength=&fromYear=&toYear=&currencyid=100&fromPrice=&toPrice=&cint=

Woodrow
07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
the north river boats are very nice. How would a big boat like that handle the small rivers, does lenth make a differnce or do you just need more power the longer you go.

BlacktailStalker
07-31-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd imagine you just have to be a better driver and more precise on your steering because you'd have less room for error with a bigger boat.
I dont think a guy would want to go less than 18'. 20' would be ideal for a couple guys, maybe 3, in my mind. Once you get your gear in, and of course your game coming out...

srupp
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
hmmm by HUNTING boat I take it JET ..see Thomas @ TNT marina in abbotsford..my buddy Mike just got a sweet ride from him...Thunderjet?
My twin brother also just got a new boat for the OCEAN..soo 150 yammy with prop and its a SILVERSTREAK AMAZING BOAT..

Steven

bigwhiteys
07-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Schuman (sp??) Built Boats are good boats. Made up North by guys who run the rivers near daily. Solid Boats!

Carl

MtnBoy
07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you go hunting in Northern BC, then thats one thing. If you cruise the Fraser or lakes all the time then thats another. I think some of the larger factory boats build for an all purpose crowd while others (outlaw, omineca, and some of the smaller custom builders in BC & AB) build a much tougher boat for running shallow more of the time. Ask yourself what you want to do most of the time then go from there. Buying used is a great way to save a lot as well.

mark
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Id go with a 18', 4.3 v-6, by ali-craft, or wolfmade! What mtnboy said is all good advise!

Woodrow
07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
what about harbour craft jet boaTS, they're cheep, should that tell me something about them.

Sako_Halfcok
07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey umm we bought an ali craft jet boat, its wonderfull, despite the test run on trailers we got, They build it to what you want, and what your gonna doo with it, we have a 175 horse Merc Sport Jet in ours ant its awsome for rapids, and squeeezing into tight spots, You can get 175 .240 and 350 horse jets through ali craft in PG . But anything over a 175 your fuel consumption just goes to the shits. There very tuff, very durable, and they back up there product well. Any hoo there sweet, and now a fuly loaded with a 240 horse merc would run about 38 grand

Sako_Halfcok
07-31-2007, 11:09 PM
in the last couple years living on the river ive noticed that a hourbour craft, rides with the step very high , the front end sticks out of the water alot, which in turn inst so good for control and it might just be the fact that we bought an ali craft , but the harbour crafts look like there all over the water at highs speed.

Sako_Halfcok
07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Omineca boats are actauly made by a man that use to work for ali craft , so i guarantee they are damn near identical in design. I find with a 175 sport jet, that with 4 people and gear, that they dont rise off the step very easy?

Gun Dog
08-01-2007, 08:32 AM
A friend bought a Duckworth (http://www.duckworthboats.com/) and has been very happy with it. 100% welded aluminum.

Ramshot
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
You asked for a hunting boat woodrow, assuming small Northern rivers would be your hunting area I'd go with nothing over 18ft and have at least a 3/8 bottom and FULL UHMW not this BS line I'm hearing of guys getting sold on just centre strip of teflon down the middle:confused:. One fella told me, I was told that 90% of your hits are down the middle! Really, and what are you going to do when you try to squezze through somewhere and rip a hole on the unprotected aluminum? You gotta a 90% chance of getting off the hook, the other 10% your up shit creek, literally! At least seven to nine full length stringers, eight degree hull. Any of the boat builders you can talk too Wolfmade-Omineca-Outlaw will build you something solid. Do your homework though. Talk to guys that do it alot. Tuchodi and Rockdoctor on this site know about shallow river running in the North country. Tuchodi has even built a few boats. They would be the guys to ask. Here's some pics of my ride. 18ft Wolfmade, Lynx style, 8degree with full UHMW:mrgreen: and a 175 merc sport-jet.

Jetboater
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
woodrow the first thing you have to ask yourself is what are you using the boat for? do you want it for hunting ? fishing or just boating with the family? as you build your boat you will need to keep these items in the back of your mind, alot of our customers get 2 footitis very quickly after they owned their first boat, so build accordingly.

hull design varies greatly from boat to boat,a reverse chine hull will help you pack a larger load and reduce planing speeds you will see outlaw uses this in their hulls and thunderjet uses it as well. not only will it plane quicker but they will hold the corners much better as well. try to stay away from a flat sided boat as they will show stress over time from repeated beaching of the boat..

ask the manufacturer how far they pull the stringers up the bow.and how many stringers in the hull.

I am biased as I sell ThunderJet boats but come out for a test drive if you get the chance I dont think you will be dissapointed. my website is
www.t-n-tmarine.com (http://www.t-n-tmarine.com)

Sako_Halfcok
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
You asked for a hunting boat woodrow, assuming small Northern rivers would be your hunting area I'd go with nothing over 18ft and have at least a 3/8 bottom and FULL UHMW not this BS line I'm hearing of guys getting sold on just centre strip of teflon down the middle:confused:. One fella told me, I was told that 90% of your hits are down the middle! Really, and what are you going to do when you try to squezze through somewhere and rip a hole on the unprotected aluminum? You gotta a 90% chance of getting off the hook, the other 10% your up shit creek, literally! At least seven to nine full length stringers, eight degree hull. Any of the boat builders you can talk too Wolfmade-Omineca-Outlaw will build you something solid. Do your homework though. Talk to guys that do it alot. Tuchodi and Rockdoctor on this site know about shallow river running in the North country. Tuchodi has even built a few boats. They would be the guys to ask. Here's some pics of my ride. 18ft Wolfmade, Lynx style, 8degree with full UHMW:mrgreen: and a 175 merc sport-jet.

yes my ali craft has a centre teflon sheet, and we ripped a 1" hole in the back but on the left side jsut from going to slow over a sand bar. A full teflon coat is the way to go , IF you dont chooose to get it , you will later.

Rock Doctor
08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi, I run a 18'4" El-De Custom. 175 SJ for power. I can load 4 guys, all gear(wall tent, camp kitchen, chainsaw, stove, ect, ect) + food for 10 days, a quad, and 125 gals of gas into the boat and pound it up on step NO PROBLEM.
Here are some things to think about, grab a coffee this could take awile:wink:.
Location of all controles- Buddy of mine has his key behind steering wheel......can you say pain in the ASS.
UHMW Bolts- 5/16" is better than 1/4"
Finnished welds- Welds ground flat are nice, but not as strong.(A good weld does not need grinding)
Minimum Bottom thickness- 3/8"
Another 3/8" down the keel is a good thing
Minimum UHMW Thickness- 3/8 (1/2" is better)
Rubber gromets anyplace cables/controles/wires pass through framework
Hight of steering wheel- can you reach it comfortably while standing and driving
Hight/Location of Throttle- Comfy standing or sitting
Kick away drivers seat- so you can stand quickly and it's not jamming up the back of your legs
Hole Shit handles- along the top of the windshield
Walk Through windshield- MUST MUST MUST
Hight of windshield- you will lean forward on it when you stand to drive
Reverse Chines- bottom outter edge of boat sides
Absolutly Minimum Planer boards out the back (my boat has no planer boards/ trim tabs) If the boat needs them its not balanced, or the jet is not at the right angle. IMHO (I have experienced the sinking feeling you get when the river forces the back of the boat right under the water to the point of river flooding over the engine cover, I feel no need to experience that again.
Jet Guard- MUST HAVE
Spare wiring to console for auxiliaries- lights, GPS, camera charger, ect
Dash design- Is stuff going to end up on the floor in rough weather ( remember you will be nose high when going slow through rough stuff)
Tandem Axle Flex ride trailer is my preferance.
Guide wheels on trailer
Leave the foot throttle in the race boats, most guys don't use it.
I have dark tinted windows, and I find it really helps when running into the sun. (water can be VERY reflective)
Engine Cover- I have the full width, but would like to go with the Dog House style next time.
Engine cover should be hinged at the transom, not the front floor ( if it opens forward, you will have to move all your gear to get at the engine.
Fuel system must have a water trap, an extra filter is good too.
Dual batteries with isolator switch (mine is not installed, but I do have everything for it)
Two Bow Eyes, one for your bow line, and the other for your trailer winch
Side Trays along it inside of the boat sides (LED touch lights mounted over trays, inside engine cover, under boat nose are VERY handy
Aluminium Floorboards look nice, but are very cold- not recomended.
Tie down points to hold gear in place- eye bolts, Rails, whatever, as long as you can stop everything from pileing up behind your legs when you come to a sudden stop. ( at some point you WILL come to a sudden stop)
I would never, ever paint the outside of another boat. Maybe the top 6" and over the rails, and the inside with Zolatone, but that's it.
Two bilge pumps- Period, I dont care if the jet has a little siphon pump. (I am not a fan of the bilge pump AUTO switch. Every bump/wave you hit whether you are on the trailer or on the water will make the pump jog on off on off on off, it wears the battery, it wears the contacts in the pump, and eventually it will stick on and kill your battery, Typically this will happen when you are 6hrs from any type of help.
Swim platform over the jet, but not full width would be nice (hold jerry cans or a cooler)
Windshield wiper for the drivers side ( I don't have one, but wish I did)
Some type of Anti-slip surface on boat nose- some use anti-slip tape, I have a piece of Alu checkerplate.
If you don't get a top, at least make sure that the boat has the stake pockets so a top can be added later if wanted.

That's about all I can think of right now.
I don't mention Brands at all for a reason, most manufacturers have a prety good rock crusher type boat in there lineup, and the guys that own them, all seem to like the one they have.:smile:
I would recommend looking at ELLDEE(Shuman), Wolfemade (My flavor of the Month), Outlaw, Firefish, or Thunderjet (I have only been in one TJ, and it was a nice ride).
8 deg bottom with a Delta Pad is good for shallow water, but still retains it's turning ability

If you have any specific questions that I could help with, just ask.

Take care, TTYL
RD

tuchodi
08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Rock Doctor must know I don't type very good so he did the long list Thanks Bud. He is bang on on all points. I built 4 boats one for my self and 3 for my real good hunting partners. Previous to that I had 4 jet boats starting back in 1973 before I built these last 4 so over the years learned a lot of what I wanted in a boat. It is real hard to make a boat that will do everyting you want so I took the best from my experience and built ours for hunting only and it is no good on lakes or the lower end of the fraser if you have waves from wind, thats because it has a very shallow running bottom about 6 degrees. Out the back of mine I have planer boards only about 3/4" sticking out and did this only to get a really good weld. I have seen boats sunk because of long planer boards(no fun). I had some side plastic gunnel tanks made for our boats so it takes up very little usable space and I hate standing on a 40 gal BOMB that can go off when ever you hit the bottom so I will never have belly tanks. It is a very expensive hobby so be prepaired after the purchase is made as the money keeps flowing. E-mail me if you want any info. As RD said most good manufactures that have been around for awhile make a good boat but you have to ask them for some of the good stuff for skinny water.

Jetboater
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Rockdoctor, dont want to get off subjet or hijack the thread but where did you get the glass cam for your videos?

Dirty
08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
For a fishing and family recreation boat I would go with a Hells Canyon Marine or NorthRiver jetboat. If I wanted to use it for running skinny water and hunting I would go with a Sidewinder Marine, Outlaw Marine, or Wolfmade. I would look for a boat under 20ft with a sportjet and plastic. Honorable mention goes to Schuman's boats as I hear they are really nice but I haven't seen one before.

Rock Doctor
08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
blacktail3113,
Rockdoctor, dont want to get off subjet or hijack the thread but where did you get the glass cam for your videos?

Hi blacktail3113,
Future Shop, it's a Samsung, SCX-210L, it comes with the Head Cam and Editing software. It actually works very well for what I want to do. It was about $650, plus some extra Memory and High Capacity Batteries.
I think the newest version is a SCX-300L

Should be a new vid on youtube later tonight 8)