PDA

View Full Version : Charged by a black bear

caddisguy
08-28-2017, 08:06 AM
It happened. Many dozens of close encounters with bears nothing overly aggressive. At most we have just scared each other.

We have had this bear hanging around in the timber where we practice shooting the bow. He has never come closer than 30 yards and sticks to the timber. I have only caught a few glimpses of him over the last few years. He has crossed through our camp a few times while we aren't paying attention (getting changed, playing cards, watching trailcam footage) Definitely a sneaky one. He is usually out of there early August, but for whatever reason (there are hardly any berries, he is still around)

On Saturday morning we could hear him crashing around in the timber. He hung around for an hour or two before wandering off.

Saturday evening, he's back. I was out looking for an arrow from a botched shot (apparently 40 yards is out of the question) I could hear him in there probably 20-30 yards from me, but wasn't worried at all, just business as usual. Never had a problem.

I saw my arrow and came down a steep slope in a less than controlled fashion (erosion) and crashed snapped through some branches at the bottom.

For whatever reason, the cracking of the branches "triggered" this bear like a non-gender-neutral word triggers an SJW. At first I heard him react (a few steps, slight movement in my direction) after that it was like a full on truck crashing through the timber until he was just out of the tree line with about 5 yards of brush between us. I scrambled back up the little hill to add some buffer room so I would at least have a half second to fire the bear spray.

That was the end of it. I know the bear could not have winded "what made the crack" (he was upwind) but where he stopped my boots had been earlier.

So what the heck happened? Mistaken identity? He thought I sounded like another big clumsy bear? Maybe a deer? Full disclosure, I have messed with some of the saplings he snapped earlier over the spring/summer which might have ticked him off.

BigfishCanada
08-28-2017, 08:12 AM
That bear should be removed, domestic black bears are very dangerous

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2017, 08:23 AM

YUP ! he needs to be dispatched ! jmo RJ

monasheemountainman
08-28-2017, 08:23 AM

I missed the part where this bear was domestic?....sounds like hes annoyed you keep coming to his little hide out and fart around with your bow lol

monasheemountainman
08-28-2017, 08:25 AM
but yeah you might as well stick him with your bow when the season opens up

caddisguy
08-28-2017, 08:44 AM
I might classify it as a"domestic" too. I don't think it's a fed bear. It's never even attempted to get at our food, but it's certainly comfortable around people enough to play cat and mouse (time of year depends who is who) around our camp. TBH I have been saying for 2 years that this bear is "creepy" and it would be a good one to put in our freezer, but we always end up with a different boar.

We talked about our options last night. I don't think we will stick it with an arrow. We certainly could, but there is a good chance the bear will know what happened and where the arrow came from. Shot plenty of bears from under 20 yards with a rifle, but none knew I was there. This guy seems to have a cat-like sense of awareness. Also not keen on arrowing a bear in an area that thick. If there isn't a good blood trail and he makes 70-100 yards it could be tough to find. We decided if he is still around on the third weekend (maybe even Sunday the 10th) of September we'll set up further away. We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.

mpotzold
08-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Agree! Habituated bears that show aggression towards humans must be relocated or euthanized depending on the circumstances ASAP.
Get in touch with the authorities ASAP.
Besides bear spray which may or may not work carry a large knife within easy reach.

StoneHorse
08-28-2017, 09:02 AM
We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.
You have your solution to your "creepy" bear. A well placed shot from a number of rifle cartridges will put meat on the table. If you don't want to shoot this bear, send me a PM.

caddisguy
08-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Agree! Habituated bears that show aggression towards humans must be relocated or euthanized depending on the circumstances ASAP.
Get in touch with the authorities ASAP.
Besides bear spray which may or may not work carry a large knife within easy reach.

It is a remote area, so I don't think relocation would help. We can safely harvest it if he is still around with rifle season opens. I'm not not confident about doing it close up with a bow unless we run into him within 30 yards while he has no idea we are there. It could happen, but probably not. My wife will be carrying a 30-06 during bow season, but I don't want to stick it with an arrow to have it charge and then we shoot it as that chain of events would need to be reported.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I might classify it as a"domestic" too. I don't think it's a fed bear. It's never even attempted to get at our food, but it's certainly comfortable around people enough to play cat and mouse (time of year depends who is who) around our camp. TBH I have been saying for 2 years that this bear is "creepy" and it would be a good one to put in our freezer, but we always end up with a different boar.

We talked about our options last night. I don't think we will stick it with an arrow. We certainly could, but there is a good chance the bear will know what happened and where the arrow came from. Shot plenty of bears from under 20 yards with a rifle, but none knew I was there. This guy seems to have a cat-like sense of awareness. Also not keen on arrowing a bear in an area that thick. If there isn't a good blood trail and he makes 70-100 yards it could be tough to find. We decided if he is still around on the third weekend (maybe even Sunday the 10th) of September we'll set up further away. We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.\

You can always donate to the Fair Chase Food program.

HarryToolips
08-28-2017, 09:59 AM
but yeah you might as well stick him with your bow when the season opens up

Yup.............

ACE
08-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Bullet in the brain pan ....
Put an end to this bear.
There may be others that aren't aware of this potential danger, and they may pay the price.
I've also been stalked and charged.

Bugle M In
08-28-2017, 10:54 AM
I with consider getting a bear tag.
Obviously something is a bit different for this bear then what one would usually expect....which would be
going the other way.
As stated before, you are aware of this bear, but another that comes around will not be.
Hard to say what the bear will do the next time?
Best to give him a dirt nap, by bow.....but u did state 40 was too far:), so rifle might make more sense...:confused:

RiverOtter
08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
You mentioned no berries. If that bear was creepy before, an empty belly makes him a huge liability.

Blacks are funny, in that the most sinister of intentions are often masked as "curiosity."

Seeker
08-28-2017, 12:43 PM
As Chilcotin mentioned above, the meat can be donated. I inquired last spring about donating bear meat to three different food banks in our area. All 3 eagerly requested the meat. It may have to go through a licenced butcher, but they will take it once it is processed. There are plenty of black bears around and I would not hesitate dispatching of this animal. It has quite obviously become comfortable around humans and to me that could very easily lead to a nasty encounter.

Ohwildwon
08-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Or put some rubber bullets in your thunder stick, see if a hazing changes his behavior....

scotty30-06
08-28-2017, 01:56 PM
^^^^^^^uhhh you know what site your on right?...sept 10 drop this bear harvest the meat and open up that pocket for some other bear that still has its fear of humans to enjoy.....rubber bullets..thats cute.......best one I ever heard was a bear granade (bear spray can covered in peanut butter lmao.....would be a sight to see that sucker go off due to some bears k9's

scotty30-06
08-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Oh and glad your om caddis....could have been much worse brotha

VFX_man
08-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Not wanting to hijack this thread . . . but in a similar vein. How's the best [non-lethal] way to keep a bear away?

Situation: Buddies off grid cabin that his mom inhabits year round. Trash is under control, but they have fruit trees and a garden that the Bear visits. His mom does not want it killed, but my buddy and I think it could use some form of "persuasion" to get it to move along. When we are up and outside we normally have 6 dogs that are constantly monitoring the situation and they have pushed it off a few times we think based upon their reactions.

It was up on her deck looking in the sliding glass door [and has done the same to a neighbour] and was not deterred by the 4 barking dogs she had in the house. Have captured it on my trail camera so it seems to patrol the area on a semi-regular basis. I always carry my pepper spray and my Rossi Ranch Hand when I go down to check the camera(s) and have had no issues. But he has vocalized from the woods to her while walking the dogs once near my camera.

Thanks, VFX

http://i.imgur.com/KLeflg3.jpg

chilcotin hillbilly
08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
The fruit trees need to go if he want to keep bears away. Bears will always come to fruit.

I would say his mom should grow up and have the bear removed as it has become a dangerous bear, especially when it is showing no fear of dogs.

rimfire
08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Not wanting to hijack this thread . . . but in a similar vein. How's the best [non-lethal] way to keep a bear away?

Situation: Buddies off grid cabin that his mom inhabits year round. Trash is under control, but they have fruit trees and a garden that the Bear visits. His mom does not want it killed, but my buddy and I think it could use some form of "persuasion" to get it to move along. When we are up and outside we normally have 6 dogs that are constantly monitoring the situation and they have pushed it off a few times we think based upon their reactions.

It was up on her deck looking in the sliding glass door [and has done the same to a neighbour] and was not deterred by the 4 barking dogs she had in the house. Have captured it on my trail camera so it seems to patrol the area on a semi-regular basis. I always carry my pepper spray and my Rossi Ranch Hand when I go down to check the camera(s) and have had no issues. But he has vocalized from the woods to her while walking the dogs once near my camera.

Thanks, VFX

VFX, I concur with Chilcotin...
The link below has my well thought out and elaborate opinion on the obvious deterrent.

http://www.westernsportsman.com/2012/03/cooking-wild-recipe-fresh-bear-sausages/

Steve W
08-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks, VFX

Sounds similar to this situation. Sometimes the bear has to be removed:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/elder-killed-by-black-bear-had-prevented-animals-shooting-chief-says

VFX_man
08-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks, VFX

Sounds similar to this situation. Sometimes the bear has to be removed:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/elder-killed-by-black-bear-had-prevented-animals-shooting-chief-says

Thanks everyone. Sent this to him and he is talking with his mom about it now. Have my tag already if we act on it.

Cheers, VFX

RiverOtter
08-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Irony is, in the case of the elderly woman, her "saving" the bears still lead to their deaths, but not before hers.

I'm assuming the bear(s) were destroyed after her death, even though the article leaves that part out.

mpotzold
08-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Irony is, in the case of the elderly woman, her "saving" the bears still lead to their deaths, but not before hers.

I'm assuming the bear(s) were destroyed after her death, even though the article leaves that part out.

Here’s your answer

https://i.cbc.ca/1.2024800.1381637123%21/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/hi-bc-110704-bear-necropsy.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-killed-b-c-native-elder-coroner-confirms-1.1067714 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bear-killed-b-c-native-elder-coroner-confirms-1.1067714)

scotty30-06
08-28-2017, 07:37 PM
Bears spray cans with peanut butter...keep dogs in for a night and place those out...shpuld do the trick.

caddisguy
09-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Here's a video of the culprit. He wasn't around this weekend (I don't think? Would have heard him a km away) probably lower down and on the north facing side of the valley.

I did have the most vivid dream (I think?) ever. I hear this crack, snap, crack getting loader. I'm laying back in the jeep and see this big brown face looking in my rear soft plastic window which is inches from my head. I jump up and turn the car on ready to bolt. I didn't hear anything after that... nothing crashing away. I'm 90% sure it wasn't real (except the strange part is I don't remember "waking up again" after initially waking up to the noise... just big brown face in soft plastic window, turn on car) I don't *think* it was real but clearly this guy got under my skin.... took me half an hour for the adreneline to go away lol ... This guy needs to go! First aggressive bear I have ever run into. He's not that big, but I wouldn't wrestle him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyWh74w7WU&feature=youtu.be