PDA

View Full Version : Alpine mule deer September help

luger
08-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Hey all I have a multi day alpine hike in hunt comeing up on September 10th. It's up in 8-5. The mountain we are hiking is thick timber at the base and up to about 80% of the mountain. The top 20% is pretty clear with lots of feed. Also there are lots of gulleys leading down that have water in them. The weather is probably gonna be quite hot. How would you hunt this area? I'm thinking of glassing the gulleys and clearings early in the morning and late in the evening. And exploring and trying to spook a buck in the heat of the day.

thanks for the opinions and suggestions.

Rob
08-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Can you Glass from below before heading up?

luger
08-27-2017, 05:00 PM
It's actually a large enough alpine to camp and hunt in.

wos
08-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Get up high and glass glass glass. Don't try to spook one up as the bucks at this time of year are very habitual and will feed bed and travel the same spots each day or two. Unless disturbed.

Ferenc
08-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Remember once above the timberline the thermal winds will do anything and everything.

HighCountryBC
08-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Things are very dry this year as we all know and that will no doubt have an effect on available forage in the high country. Going to be a different game in most places at that elevation this year. Think cool and water.

Rob
08-27-2017, 07:20 PM
I would stay out of the area you figure the bucks may be in and glass like mentioned above. Be best to have your camp close by so you can glass until dark. Be up before sunrise and glass again.

dino
08-27-2017, 10:37 PM
If your actually going where you say you are then I can tell you the the bucks your after are in the sub alpine. The odd young one may be out in the open but the legal ones will be in sub alpine.

BCHunterTV
08-27-2017, 11:42 PM
If your actually going where you say you are then I can tell you the the bucks your after are in the sub alpine. The odd young one may be out in the open but the legal ones will be in sub alpine.

Agreed... in the timber, never out in the dead open

Bugle M In
08-28-2017, 01:30 AM
Don't try to walk around too much....glass as much as possible.
It doesn't take long for them to catch on that "open season" has begun.
Between the walking around, and scent in the air, they just know it is normal anymore.
In the trees, or small openings, just below the open alpine with no trees.
They will need water, so they won't be far rom those sources, especially wit this heat.
Good Luck