PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose LEH Prince George: Any advice would be much appreciated!

DrPenn
08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Shared Bull Moose LEH

I live in the Lower Mainland. Have grown up hunting my whole life and was getting so tired of getting skunked with familiar LEHs that I finally talked my family into trying a new area. I dont want to waste this LEH, waste my time off work and do the drive to be utterly unsuccessful!

The specific area is 7-24. Sept 10-Nov 5. Currently we are considering leaving first week in October through Thanksgiving. If there is anyone that is familiar with this area and wouldn't mind sharing some info (even in a private message) I would greatly appreciate it.

VLD43
08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Am in the process of PMing you

buckshot
08-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Where is the customary joke doc? This ain't Craigslist.

tigrr
08-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Take extra tires and lots of fuel. Have fun.

DrPenn
08-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Sorry, first timer on here.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6452&stc=1

albravo2
08-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Welcome Doc, this is a great forum to ask 'how' questions. I've never seen much luck with 'where' questions, especially attached to "I don't want to waste my time, I want to kill something" sentiments.

I'll say what a lot of folks are thinking: you've got two choices, spend lots of time and less money or lots of money and less time. If you have more time, drive up there and start scouting. If you have more money fly up, rent a car, and start scouting. Look for terrain on Google earth that should support moose then visit and look for sign. Put up cameras, ask the guys hauling logs out of the area what they've seen. Learn the road and trail system. Get good and stuck and covered in mud and bug bites.

It takes a good while to learn an area and whether or not it holds critters. That kind of info is learned the hard way. It is BIG country and it gives up secrets slowly.

I've got the same LEH. I'm lucky enough to have grown up in the area and have a pretty good lay of the land. Even so, I'm going on a hunt with friends and family, killing a moose will be a huge added bonus. They aren't in every swamp like they were when I grew up in the 70s.

If we run into each other and you're covered in mud and bug bites I'll share what I know. Remember that old saw about the journey, not the destination. Happy hunting!

moosinaround
08-26-2017, 02:18 PM
7-24 is huge!! You quadding or road hunting? You have a boat, canoe? First off, get as far back in as you can. Lots of road hunters up there, LOTS!!!!! I've seen bull moose all over that MU, lots of cutblocks, lots of lakes swamps not much for mature timber anymore! I'd bet if you are close to water, you'd have a pretty good chance at calling in a bull rutting! Lots of people in that area during the rut, find some seclusion and call. Good luck, moosin

hunter fisher
08-27-2017, 10:03 AM
hey doc, i had this draw 3 years ago. we were successful with our bull, but it was a tough go.

the first 5 days we hiked into the moosiest swamps we could see on google maps and called and called but nothing came in. getting fuel on day 6, we ran into a couple guys who had filled there bull draw, and they told us they have hunted this MU for years and they were pretty religious about road hunting blocks and that we should give it a try. so sure enough, the next day we put a ton of miles on the truck and busted a bull coming out of the timber into a cut. he was the only moose we saw that trip.

we shot him southwest of Carp lake

our trip was from sept 23- oct 1ish. in hind sight we were probably about a week early timing wise. we turned off the hart at bear lake, and made camp up at weedon lake. bring your fishing rod and a car topper, great rainbow fishing. we averaged seeing about 10 black bears a day, so bring a tag if your into that. my hunting partner took home a really delicious boar and his hide made a gorgeous rug. also lots of grouse around.

i basically did the same thing as you, blindly asking for advice, there are some really great people on this website willing to help out, the guy who posted above me (moosinaround) being one of them, so make sure you pay it forward

thats all i can think of right now, any questions, feel free to ask

2forty
08-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Seen bulls shot on McLeod lake and crooked river over the years.

BigBanger
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
We got the same draw and are heading up arpund the same time. Maybe we will see you up there!

Chris (Victoria)
09-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Hey Ive been going up to 7-23 for the last three years... Can talk you through what we've seen and experienced
Chris

Gumsehwah
09-14-2017, 10:27 PM
May I suggest getting a BIG freezer?? 😁

BigBanger
10-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Shared Bull Moose LEH

I live in the Lower Mainland. Have grown up hunting my whole life and was getting so tired of getting skunked with familiar LEHs that I finally talked my family into trying a new area. I dont want to waste this LEH, waste my time off work and do the drive to be utterly unsuccessful!

The specific area is 7-24. Sept 10-Nov 5. Currently we are considering leaving first week in October through Thanksgiving. If there is anyone that is familiar with this area and wouldn't mind sharing some info (even in a private message) I would greatly appreciate it.

Did you get yourself a moose?