PDA

View Full Version : Micro-spikes for Late Season Goat/Sheep Hunts

Ron.C
08-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Good day all,

Anyone ever used micro spikes on late season goat or sheep hunts? If so, care to share your experience?

I wear Hanwag boots and they provide great traction, but I have concerns about traction in frozen scree or steep slopes with some snow.

skuntor
08-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Never used them on a hunt but I have for a few hikes on icy trails. They work great and I have them in my pack when I might encounter snow or ice. They are a little heavy which is the only downside to packing them.

sparkes3
08-24-2017, 03:24 PM
I have used them on the side of a mountain while working on a hydro project.
they worked great and sure made life less stressful when trying to stick on to the side of a cliff in the winter.

300rum700
08-24-2017, 03:26 PM
I use full on crampons, they weigh about a pound but will save your bacon.

twoSevenO
08-24-2017, 04:26 PM
I use full on crampons, they weigh about a pound but will save your bacon.

What kind of boots do you have? Not all boots are compatible with crampons.

Though I think the strap on one's can fit most boots.

300rum700
08-24-2017, 04:37 PM
What kind of boots do you have? Not all boots are compatible with crampons.

Though I think the strap on one's can fit most boots.

I use the Black Diamond strap on ones and use them on my meindl canada pros and hanwag trapper tops. Ive tried the ones that your boots clip into and they don't seem to stay as tight and end up coming off when climbing.

decker9
08-24-2017, 05:47 PM
I used the micros on hanwags last winter while hunting goats. I found that in deeper snow, I much preferred my snowshoes (msr lightning accents) and winter boots, the micros worked awesome on the flat - sorta steep terrain, but a few times I found myself turning around, where crampons would have kept me going. Next time I hunt late season, I'll have crampons and micros in my bag, and the snowshoes depending on snow levels. Each have their spot in late season mountain hunting.