PDA

View Full Version : Classic Hunting Books/Authors/Reading

markathome
08-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Hey All,

Like all of you I'm getting pretty fired up for the season! I'm heading into a spot this weekend for a couple of over nighters to do some spotting and set up a couple of cams. So, I'll likely have a bit of reading time in the tent.

Any classics out there? I'm thinking about Steven Rinella's American Buffalo. I'm hoping to sheep hunt next year - so maybe a sheep book? Alpine Muley?

Cheers

1/2 slam
08-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Sheep and Sheep hunting by Jack O'connor

labguy
08-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Anything by Andy Russell. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Russell_(Canadian_author) or Clayton Mack. http://www.harbourpublishing.com/author/ClaytonMack

Russell hunted sheep extensively when bighorns were plentiful. Mack was a guide for some of the rich and famous for grizzlys. Both authentic men and great story tellers.

mpotzold
08-24-2017, 08:31 AM
The Wilderness of Denali by Charles Sheldon- A REAL GEM!

A book that is "a memoir of three years of hunting the area of Alaska surrounding Mt. McKinley. It is a classic of American adventure—a book written by a man who was willing to risk his life in pursuit of grizzly bears and the elusive mountain sheep. The account was written each night by campfire as Sheldon discovered what is still regarded as the most scenic wilderness in America."

After reading the book as a teen in Ont. had to move to BEAUTIFUL BC & never looked back.

Then there is the other Shelton!:biggrin:
All of Gary Shelton's books are a must read before venturing into grizz country.

barry1974w
08-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Death in the long grass. Nothing to do with BC or even North America, but one hell of an entertaining read.

saskbooknut
08-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Hard Hunting – 1978 by Diane Swingle and Patrick Shaughnessy

GEF
08-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Any of the Peter Hathaway Capstick written or reprinted African adventure books ,there is a long list of titles all good hunting reading.Jim Corbett Man eaters of Kumoan is a must read.

high and to the right
08-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Horns in the High Country Andy Russell
Man For the Mountain Sid Marty
Hunting Big Game in NA

08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Campfires in the Rockies ...... Written in 1904 era. Have a read, perusing Goats sheep g bears etc.

Crazy buggers for those days, wow.

Machinist
08-24-2017, 11:54 AM
This is an awesome book and all the Hunting was in BC , those two did some really cool trips

Hard Hunting – 1978 by Diane Swingle and Patrick Shaughnessy

markathome
08-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Cheers Boys - keep em coming. I'll be shopping amazon tomorrow.

Rob Chipman
08-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Not really hunting, but "Mountain Sheep and Man in the Northern Wilds" by Val Geist. Cool book.

JoeSixPack
08-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Death in the long grass

Squamch
08-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Capstick is great.
American buffalo was a good read too.

hookedonblacktails
08-24-2017, 11:31 PM
I'll second the Wilderness of Denali! Great book!

bigwhiteys
08-25-2017, 12:29 AM
"The Man Called Red" written by "Red" Sorensen. I think you can find it Amazon but if you order from him directly he will ship it to your door. Tales about his life as a cowboy in the chilcotin, homesteading the halfway and eventually becoming an outfitter. Lots of good feedback, I really liked it but I'm a little biased as he is my Grandpa, lol.

375shooter
08-25-2017, 05:55 AM
"Horseshoe in My Hip Pocket. Lucky Again!" by Bob Kjos. The life story of a Northern BC outfitter.

saskbooknut
08-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Staying focused on B.C. Hunting - In the Land of the Red Goat by Bob Henderson

Greenthumbed
08-25-2017, 06:44 AM
Gone Huntin': A generation of hunting in northern BC.
By Pat Ferguson

American Buffalo
by Steven Rinella

Meateater
by Steven Rinnela

Hunting highcountry mule deer
by Mike Eastman

American Seringeti
by Dan Flores

chaser10
08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Hey All,

Like all of you I'm getting pretty fired up for the season! I'm heading into a spot this weekend for a couple of over nighters to do some spotting and set up a couple of cams. So, I'll likely have a bit of reading time in the tent.

Any classics out there? I'm thinking about Steven Rinella's American Buffalo. I'm hoping to sheep hunt next year - so maybe a sheep book? Alpine Muley?

Cheers

Teddy Roosevelt...Hunting Trips of a Ranchman. Just finished it and it was fascinating.

DeepJeep
08-25-2017, 02:19 PM
I agree. Its a great book.

Great resource you have there, bigwhiteys

"The Man Called Red" written by "Red" Sorensen. I think you can find it Amazon but if you order from him directly he will ship it to your door. Tales about his life as a cowboy in the chilcotin, homesteading the halfway and eventually becoming an outfitter. Lots of good feedback, I really liked it but I'm a little biased as he is my Grandpa, lol.

ACB
08-26-2017, 10:28 AM
BIGHORNS and STONE SHEEP by Chis Kind of Clinton B.C. This man has led a fascinating life as a sheep hunting guide, wrangler and cowboy and has put a lot of his life experiences on paper, all of his books are a good read but this one is one of my favorites.

Rotorwash
08-26-2017, 10:36 AM
She's downhill and in the shade by Chris kind

mpotzold
08-26-2017, 12:30 PM
BIGHORNS and STONE SHEEP by Chis Kind of Clinton B.C. This man has led a fascinating life as a sheep hunting guide, wrangler and cowboy and has put a lot of his life experiences on paper, all of his books are a good read but this one is one of my favorites.
Chris Kind is a HBC member SAFARICHRIS.
Hasn't been on the site for some time.
All of his books make enjoyable reading.

Fallkniven
08-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Maneaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett....Maneating Leopard of Rudraprayag by Jim Corbett...Also Kenneth Anderson The Black Panther of Silvanpali.... anything by Keith Severinsen... also Sport and Life in British Columbia by Charles Piers...The wilderness of Denali by Charles Sheldon....My Sporting Memories by Nigel Woodyatt....