PDA

View Full Version : Which region has more elk ?

gutpile
08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
East kootenays or Tumbler Ridge ?

huckleberry
08-23-2017, 05:04 PM
I don't know about tumbler ridge, but after the decision to cut our elk herd in half by the ranching community it's tough to find a 6pt bull in the fall.

J_T
08-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Going in to winter, Elk herds in the Kootenay where at 1/3 of what they had been. And then they had a deep snow winter.

Bugle M In
08-23-2017, 08:19 PM
I do not much about T/R...but I can tell you, the EK is going to be slow, so unless you have someone with some
private property down low, you will find elk hunting 6 points in the EK about as tough as it can get these days,
maybe some of the worst #'s of elk in the trench in years......my suspicion.
Now, if you want to try the "bow only season", then maybe you'll have a slight margin of better success, but a lot
of places just aren't holding the elk like they once did (hope it turns around soon?!)

barry1974w
08-23-2017, 09:09 PM
EK for sure, the wide open antlerless season and huge quantity of antlerless LEH up north have decimated populations

Bugle M In
08-23-2017, 09:26 PM
EK for sure, the wide open antlerless season and huge quantity of antlerless LEH up north have decimated populations

that doesn't sound to good.....

hunter1947
08-24-2017, 06:25 AM
4-25 east region side if you can get there,,go for it..

Bugle M In
08-24-2017, 11:59 AM
4-25 east region side if you can get there,,go for it..

maybe the southern part??, but I can assure you, the northern section is not doing well at all....honestly.
I think that one report (can't remember his name...a trapper?) that came out a couple years back even
stated, with an outlined area, just how "low" the numbers were in that part of the trench.....
from what I have experience, he was bang on.
1 reason is wolves, and they been in there since the late 80's....maybe some of the first areas the wolves
actually moved into.
Hard to say, but last season, I saw more elk on my drive to hunting and back home along the Columbia River, then I
did hunting.
A good portion was private land, but bulls with 10 - 20 cows in each harem.

sawmill
08-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Never even bought an elk tag this year. Waste of money.

gutpile
08-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Really ?????? , and you live there , you should know some good spots !

ElliotMoose
08-24-2017, 03:15 PM
1 legal bull seen on crown in the past 3 years in the EK for me..and that's hitting it hard every weekend of september. Grizz however!

Bugle M In
08-24-2017, 04:14 PM
I wonder if the elk, in general, but especially in the EK, due to the high wolf #'s, have just shifted their place of natural
habitat...meaning seeking higher/denser/steeper terrain....to avoid these preds, and if that is why they have become
so elusive.
There is no doubt, the #'s are down, and a lot had to do with this zonex hunt, but only because those elk were not going
back to the high country in the spring/summer.
If the migration had been normal, zone x would not have had a major impact in my opinion....but that was not the
actual case....looks like they were avoided preds in the safe havens of low lying ranch/farm lands.
Again, so much for the 6 point rule being and population benefit.....efforts and changes were needed in habitat/pred,
not further restrictions....proof is in the pudding....and that is where we are at now.

gutpile
08-24-2017, 04:17 PM
So what happen with 6+ bulls ? with 6 point and better there should be a healthy mature bulls available , obviously elk
aren't over harvested .

Bugle M In
08-24-2017, 04:22 PM
So what happen with 6+ bulls ? with 6 point and better there should be a healthy mature bulls available , obviously elk
aren't over harvested .

Exactly....they put in restrictions on "limiting hunting success" to boost population numbers.
But, that wasn't the reason for their continuing population decline in the 1st place.
It was other factors the government didn't either want to spend the money/resources on, or/and,
make decisions (like wolf culling), do to "voter outcry".
Sometimes the best medicine is not what the "majority Voters" want to swallow....but some times swallowing
is what is exactly needed.
Low elk #'s are not a hunting related issue or causing the drastic declining impact.....Period!

Moose63
08-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Everyone wants to hunt elk, but few will hunt wolves....

Bugle M In
08-24-2017, 04:52 PM

True...I live in Vancouver, so making the run up for wolves isn't really in my budget, so yes, it's partly my fault as well.
But, they ain't that easy to hunt in September when I am there either.
More of a "winter success" thing possibly, or maybe easier.??
Believe me, if I see them, I will take them.
Same goes for Cache Creek, there all over the place, sign everywhere, but not so easy to find....not at all easy.
IF I did live up there, you bet I would be out there.

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Not really true, but they are getting to where the farmers and ranchers are starting to be happy. They are the reason for the seasons and they are a powerful group to deal with.

There is still lots of elk around, you just have to find them. They are getting smarter and there is less "farmland" to access, but there is still good numbers of elk around. My cameras show lots of bulls with a good mix of cow/calf pairs and old cows, plus I see them quite a bit while working, especially in the crown land around the ag zone.

Cheers

SS

Husky7mm
08-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Yep, also everyone wants an elk but few want to climb the mountain.

Husky7mm
08-25-2017, 07:43 AM
East kootenays or Tumbler Ridge ?
Both areas have had extensive population reductions through antlerless seasons. The peace has had a few easy winters in a row recently. I would be more incline hunt the peace but more to the farmland fringe country and the big river valleys.

Jrax
08-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Whether you hunt the peace or kootenays, allow yourself to get 'pushed' by hunting pressure to where the elk are.

j270wsm
08-25-2017, 07:09 PM
East kootenay elk population is the lowest it's been in the last 20yrs that I've been hunting elk.

huckleberry
08-25-2017, 07:58 PM
In my opinion, having hunted elk in the east kootenay's for 55 plus years the greatest threat to elk hunting is the political nature of whatever government is in power. Since Ray Demarchi "who fought scientific management" the regional biologist left this area, the main focus of elk and deer seasons has been whoever has the loudest voice. Ranchers don't want too many elk eating up the crown range they put their cattle on for a couple of bucks per cow per month, and ICBC wants a reduction of vehicle whitetail interactions, so cull the elk cows, kill off the bulk of whitetails and let the hunters wait few years for the herds to rebound. Talk about political political interference with the grizzly hunt. It's been going on for years.

huckleberry
08-25-2017, 08:02 PM
"who fought FOR scientific management"

Bugle M In
08-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Hate to say this, as this effects people, but the EK is going to need to have a fire similar to what happened in the
R5.
Habitat has changes over the years as well....pine beetle....windstorms....windfall.....and flooding, have all been
things I have noticed, and not for the better.
Only a big fire can clean things up, and bring some areas back to life.
With all that pine beetle timber lying around, it's only a matter of time.....
Again, I don't mean to not sound like I don't care about people and their property....I do care.

HarryToolips
08-26-2017, 02:20 PM
In my opinion, having hunted elk in the east kootenay's for 55 plus years the greatest threat to elk hunting is the political nature of whatever government is in power. Since Ray Demarchi "who fought scientific management" the regional biologist left this area, the main focus of elk and deer seasons has been whoever has the loudest voice. Ranchers don't want too many elk eating up the crown range they put their cattle on for a couple of bucks per cow per month, and ICBC wants a reduction of vehicle whitetail interactions, so cull the elk cows, kill off the bulk of whitetails and let the hunters wait few years for the herds to rebound. Talk about political political interference with the grizzly hunt. It's been going on for years.
It is really sad....we need a stronger voice representing hunters, to stand up to the Cattlemans Association etc, and tell them antlerless seasons on elk are unacceptable when the population is not higher than the carrying capacity of the environment...if they want to do it all in the name of their cattle and a few extra bucks we should be able to tell them to pound sand...

ramcam
08-26-2017, 08:15 PM
j270 is right, I have never seen the elk hunting as bad as it has been the last few years.

DeerSeer
08-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Not many good bulls in 4-25. 3 point bulls running harems here

LBM
08-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Not many good bulls in 4-25. 3 point bulls running harems here

Interesting, yes Elk numbers are declining in the EK along with pretty much every thing else. What keeps surprising me is the number of bulls
that get taking in 4-25 last few years and especially the number of large ones taken last year.

Bugle M In
08-27-2017, 09:01 PM
Interesting, yes Elk numbers are declining in the EK along with pretty much every thing else. What keeps surprising me is the number of bulls
that get taking in 4-25 last few years and especially the number of large ones taken last year.
Care to give some GPS's on those.....
Heard most of the success around your way came mostly from locals knowing locals with property.
Always going to be some bulls around, but not like before.

LBM
08-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Care to give some GPS's on those.....
Heard most of the success around your way came mostly from locals knowing locals with property.
Always going to be some bulls around, but not like before.

What do you want the GPS for there dead, but there is others, plus you were giving the info before.
None of these were on private land but a fair number shot on private as well and there not all taken by locals.
You pretty much answer it though in your other post when you say your from Vancouver so you really
don't no what goes on around here when only out for a couple weeks a year. Im sure you observe changes
but a lot goes on through out the rest of the year.

Bugle M In
08-28-2017, 08:04 PM
What do you want the GPS for there dead, but there is others, plus you were giving the info before.
None of these were on private land but a fair number shot on private as well and there not all taken by locals.
You pretty much answer it though in your other post when you say your from Vancouver so you really
don't no what goes on around here when only out for a couple weeks a year. Im sure you observe changes
but a lot goes on through out the rest of the year.

LBM....
I do know who you are, and have heard a few stories.
I know the GO, and the one before him and the one before him...And the one before him.(that's going back a ways)
There's a "Reason" its been sold of a few times.....lack of game in there.
AS for GPS....whats wrong buddy...can't take a joke!?????????????
Actually sounds like from what I heard ...you cant these days.

As for ELK, ya, they are around, some small bulls, some 5 points...and ya some 6's.
I usually chase a few of each....each year.....but it sure is dismal as of late.

I know you've made comments on "poaching" as well in the area.....but CO's have wondered why you aint reporting it?
I am sort of tired of this with you....really....and that takes a lot for me to say it on an open forum.
I'll be up there, there will be Elk.....but I am not expecting a whole lot of elk running around...not like before.
You may live up there, you may run your dogs up there, but so do others....many of them aint overly optimistic either.
GO sure aint happy either with the lack of game either.
I know others up there also "looking for big bulls".....which granted, there were never that many running around, but some.
Anyways, some always have success....but those with permission on the lower areas will definitely benefit and up their odds.
And no, i'm not whining, I choose to hunt where I do, cause I like the area and the scenery....just tradition.
If I want to up my odds, ya, I could go into the white river area, but I like hunting away from the crowds.
But I guess a stupid Vancouverite cant hunt elk huh????
I have done just fine....better then most over the years, and considering the 7 to 10 days I put in, I must have been one
lucky ******* to have the successful percentage I have had.
I will leave it at that with u...

As for the OP.....
elk are there, but the 6's are down, or up till last season, sure looks that way.
I have no clue about TR...never been there...but elk will be as well.
PG is another area doing well....who knows, maybe their #'s are better then anywhere else in BC right now.
When my Dad hangs up the boots, and at the age of 78, if the #'s in 4-25 stay low....I will be looking at PG area.
I'd rather hunt the EK.....I like the view.
Which leads me into the last piece of advice.
Hunt where you think you might enjoy the scenery better, as its being out there that counts and the memories you
get from it.
I have had fun, and even some better stories on those years an elk wasn't hanging on the pole.

You can also try to find the success rates for each region and there individual units to see where most elk are taken.
It doesn't assure you that your success goes up, it just means you will be with more hunters.
But, it will also tell u where the elk reside more....and yes....that comes more from the "local knowledge" year round.
The farther south you go, the better the numbers.
You can also research the 4 or so "main herds" that live between BC and Alberta.

rocksteady
08-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Nope.. No elk in region 4.. go to the Peace...please....

LBM
08-28-2017, 08:52 PM
LBM....
I do know who you are, and have heard a few stories.
I know the GO, and the one before him and the one before him...And the one before him.(that's going back a ways)
There's a "Reason" its been sold of a few times.....lack of game in there.
AS for GPS....whats wrong buddy...can't take a joke!?????????????
Actually sounds like from what I heard ...you cant these days.

As for ELK, ya, they are around, some small bulls, some 5 points...and ya some 6's.
I usually chase a few of each....each year.....but it sure is dismal as of late.

I know you've made comments on "poaching" as well in the area.....but CO's have wondered why you aint reporting it?
I am sort of tired of this with you....really....and that takes a lot for me to say it on an open forum.
I'll be up there, there will be Elk.....but I am not expecting a whole lot of elk running around...not like before.
You may live up there, you may run your dogs up there, but so do others....many of them aint overly optimistic either.
GO sure aint happy either with the lack of game either.
I know others up there also "looking for big bulls".....which granted, there were never that many running around, but some.
Anyways, some always have success....but those with permission on the lower areas will definitely benefit and up their odds.
And no, i'm not whining, I choose to hunt where I do, cause I like the area and the scenery....just tradition.
If I want to up my odds, ya, I could go into the white river area, but I like hunting away from the crowds.
But I guess a stupid Vancouverite cant hunt elk huh????
If have done just fine....better then most over the years, and considering the 7 to 10 days I put in, I must have been one
lucky ******* to have the successful percentage I have had.
I will leave it at that with u...

As for the OP.....
elk are there, but the 3's are down, or up till last season, sure looks that way.
I have no clue about TR...never been there...but elk will be as well.
PG is another area doing well....who knows, maybe their #'s are better then anywhere else in BC right now.
When my Dad hangs up the boots, and at the age of 78, if the #'s in 4-25 stay low....I will be looking at PG area.
I'd rather hunt the EK.....I like the view.
Which leads me into the last piece of advice.
Hunt where you think you might enjoy the scenery better, as its being out there that counts and the memories you
get from it.
I have had fun, and even some better stories on those years an elk wasn't hanging on the pole.

You can also try to find the success rates for each region and there individual units to see where most elk are taken.
It doesn't assure you that your success goes up, it just means you will be with more hunters.
But, it will also tell u where the elk reside more....and yes....that comes more from the "local knowledge" year round.
The farther south you go, the better the numbers.
You can also research the 4 or so "main herds" that live between BC and Alberta.

I don't care if you no me what does that matter.
Know outfitters /guides as well not sure what that matters but use to like talking and listening to Dix.
Poaching has all been reported, didn't realize they were supposed to report things to you my understanding
reporting is confidential so will have to look into that, for some of those that do report things will be upset
about it being giving out.
Yes I get tired of a lot you say as well, but at least you have answered some of it you no the game/elk is not there
and go there for the scenery. I never said you were a stupid Vancouverite I said you don't no all that goes on in there
from a couple of weeks.
Again Im not talking about the private land. Yes elk populations are dismal and personally don't think they will ever
get back to years past. This goes for pretty much all species of wildlife.
I would not recommend the white river either.

Bugle M In
08-28-2017, 09:17 PM
I don't care if you no me what does that matter.
Know outfitters /guides as well not sure what that matters but use to like talking and listening to Dix.
Poaching has all been reported, didn't realize they were supposed to report things to you my understanding
reporting is confidential so will have to look into that, for some of those that do report things will be upset
about it being giving out.
Yes I get tired of a lot you say as well, but at least you have answered some of it you no the game/elk is not there
and go there for the scenery. I never said you were a stupid Vancouverite I said you don't no all that goes on in there
from a couple of weeks.
Again Im not talking about the private land. Yes elk populations are dismal and personally don't think they will ever
get back to years past. This goes for pretty much all species of wildlife.
I would not recommend the white river either.

LBM,
you were the one that stated that "there was poaching going on", from previous threads about elk in the EK, and
in particular, where I hunt.
I asked at the time if you reported it.
You said no, that it was a waste of time.??
And a few called you out on it,...why you wouldn't? if that is what you were saying.
I would have never have passed on the info about poaching if you had!
And others saw it as well, that's why I received pm's from others on his site to "who you are/ your name"
(I wont say who you are, not my way...I will keep that private or in a pm with u if you wish)
It's not my fault if you say poaching is going on, and you aren't going to bother reporting it, because the CO's don't care.
That one is on you, and yes, I will take the initiative to report stuff like that.....why....cause I took you "Seriously"!!
And if poaching was going on, the CO's need to know!
Because unlike you, I have faith in some of those CO's out of Invermere.
Others obviously saw it the same as me, thus there pm's.
For the record, the CO's "had heard of no reports" of any poaching in the area, just the odd groups taking game that were
missing a legal point....they self reported (good on them).

Anything else in regards to that...pm me, I am fine to talk about all of that...if you wish.
But, I wont go any farther into it on the thread, or publicly....

Now, for your last few lines...yes...thank you...that's all I was trying to say...the EK is not looking overly "Stellar".
And yes, I don't see it turning around either....
There are lots of factors, that if they aren't rectified, will never let Elk#'s come back...even if we do kill of wolves.
The only thing that may differ with less wolves, is that the elk won't "hole up" as badly., like they are doing now.

And for not being around, I still stay in touch with some that are.
And sometimes, being away, I get to see the drastic changes when I do show up from year to year.
Like watching your own child....you don't see the changes when you see them everyday, but someone who sees them
from time to time, sees the changes.
IT works both ways....
I am not around after the snow flies (due to hot fall weather), so maybe it is different when I am gone.
But, I see the physical landscape issues.....and in some areas, it's been a lot, and not for the better.

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to "derail it".
ME and LBM do agree on that, it's not getting any better in the EK.

LBM
08-30-2017, 06:35 PM
LBM,
you were the one that stated that "there was poaching going on", from previous threads about elk in the EK, and
in particular, where I hunt.
I asked at the time if you reported it.
You said no, that it was a waste of time.??
And a few called you out on it,...why you wouldn't? if that is what you were saying.
I would have never have passed on the info about poaching if you had!
And others saw it as well, that's why I received pm's from others on his site to "who you are/ your name"
(I wont say who you are, not my way...I will keep that private or in a pm with u if you wish)
It's not my fault if you say poaching is going on, and you aren't going to bother reporting it, because the CO's don't care.
That one is on you, and yes, I will take the initiative to report stuff like that.....why....cause I took you "Seriously"!!
And if poaching was going on, the CO's need to know!
Because unlike you, I have faith in some of those CO's out of Invermere.
Others obviously saw it the same as me, thus there pm's.
For the record, the CO's "had heard of no reports" of any poaching in the area, just the odd groups taking game that were
missing a legal point....they self reported (good on them).

Anything else in regards to that...pm me, I am fine to talk about all of that...if you wish.
But, I wont go any farther into it on the thread, or publicly....

Now, for your last few lines...yes...thank you...that's all I was trying to say...the EK is not looking overly "Stellar".
And yes, I don't see it turning around either....
There are lots of factors, that if they aren't rectified, will never let Elk#'s come back...even if we do kill of wolves.
The only thing that may differ with less wolves, is that the elk won't "hole up" as badly., like they are doing now.

And for not being around, I still stay in touch with some that are.
And sometimes, being away, I get to see the drastic changes when I do show up from year to year.
Like watching your own child....you don't see the changes when you see them everyday, but someone who sees them
from time to time, sees the changes.
IT works both ways....
I am not around after the snow flies (due to hot fall weather), so maybe it is different when I am gone.
But, I see the physical landscape issues.....and in some areas, it's been a lot, and not for the better.

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to "derail it".
ME and LBM do agree on that, it's not getting any better in the EK.

Interesting, "not your way" kind of contradicting and also shows your character.
Better to make stuff up with pm buddys, don't really no where most of this is coming from
but keep on twittering, facebooking, pming, stalking what ever you want to call it.
This may answer some of the things that have happened.
You want to throw out a bunch of bull and then say you wont talk about it, again shows your character.
You could have messaged if you had wanted.
So again yes all was reported. I also have respect for some of the COs.
And just in case you didn't no cow elk don't have points nor do cats or sheep the moose does but that
didn't have any cause in it being poached oh and none of these were self reported. Why did you not
mention these.

Gutpile don't no which area has the most elk but if you chose the EK, might be able to help but would
need to know how you want to hunt. By horse , bike, foot or truck.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 06:57 PM
LBM....check the definition..."paranoid"
I have your pm's from days gone by.
As for all the other crap....again...they are in the threads...maybe you want to go back and delete them.
If you want...I can link them here for all to see....your call...
Enough of you...
Again, you made those comments, and I looked into them with the CO's.
No reports were given, not by you or anyone else....but you were determined that was fact.
I'll leave it at.

eric
08-30-2017, 07:12 PM
No Elk in the Peace, stay in the Kooteney's..:lol:

LBM
08-30-2017, 07:13 PM
LBM....check the definition..."paranoid"
I have your pm's from days gone by.
As for all the other crap....again...they are in the threads...maybe you want to go back and delete them.
If you want...I can link them here for all to see....your call...
Enough of you...
Again, you made those comments, and I looked into them with the CO's.
No reports were given, not by you or anyone else....but you were determined that was fact.
I'll leave it at.

I have no need to delete anything.
Again all was reported.
Do retired COs still keep there records at home.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 07:22 PM
Your words
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131874-Findlay-Creek-Outfitters&p=1834701#post1834701

post #28

Husky7mm
08-30-2017, 07:31 PM
No...... means no
know .... means to be aware of through observation, inquiry, and information.

LBM
08-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Your words
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131874-Findlay-Creek-Outfitters&p=1834701#post1834701

post #28
Ok looked at it yes I said that, so what, he asked if I reported it I did not, it was already reported or they had knowledge of some of it.
Why they don't call you and tell you about it I don't no. Like I have all ready mentioned from my knowledge some things told are supposed to
be in confidence. Some have not even been to court yet. Some never will go to court. If the people that have witnessed or have the info don't come forward
then it is not good, second or third hand info is just that, the crown will most likely not even try to prosecute. I will say it again you really don't no what goes on
around here.
Not enough COs around to look at every thing or get to or be every where, so many times things are not looked at or into. For me and my discussions
with them I no what I will or will not report for no what will come of it, and do what they ask. Once again I was told the conversations were confidential but from what you
are saying they are not so things may change. Yes many don't report things for the way things seem to be handled, but again you have to be here to see it and it is there choice.
Again I don't no why they don't tell you every thing, but this may be why they don't have the time to be in the bush checking things out, for they have to spend so much time
on the phone with people such as your self.

Oh forgot to ask what am I supposed to be paranoid about, the threats you keep making.

LBM
08-30-2017, 08:11 PM
No...... means no
know .... means to be aware of through observation, inquiry, and information.

I thought only BGBLKDG came after people for there spelling, actually may have spelt his name wrong.

Bugle M In
08-30-2017, 08:40 PM
What threat????show where I threatened...ever...
Enough .....LMAO now.
"Backpeddling"....that's all u can do now.

drakfero
08-31-2017, 05:39 PM
Puck it boys dont fight here! Get every predator you can , dont go for females , other wise no game left and like some of you said , farmers and ICBC will be just happy. We also need someone better than BCWF because they dont get anything for us (allocations , grizzly hunt.. ). We need to blame forestry more , none from deer family will survive in those forests they plant its just too thick (no light no grass or young trees) and than it burns so crazy like this year..

LBM
09-16-2017, 07:46 PM
What threat????show where I threatened...ever...
Enough .....LMAO now.
"Backpeddling"....that's all u can do now.

Sorry no back peddling prefer to move forward. Know of 8 elk killed in 4-25 so far this year, may be more wont hear from a couple guys till tomorrow, but of course with that comes illegal activity/poaching all ready a few new things going on.
The only ones that cant move forward are the poor wardens still dealing with the cases from last year that you say didn't happen and now all ready new ones from this year.

Bugle M In
09-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Sorry no back peddling prefer to move forward. Know of 8 elk killed in 4-25 so far this year, may be more wont hear from a couple guys till tomorrow, but of course with that comes illegal activity/poaching all ready a few new things going on.
The only ones that cant move forward are the poor wardens still dealing with the cases from last year that you say didn't happen and now all ready new ones from this year.

There will always be poaching...everywhere....nothing anybody can do about it.
If I come across it, I report it.
As for 4-25, where I hunt, I have never seen it going on, or seen that it may have gone on etc.
The main problem I see is some guys disobeying the "road closures", and when I remind them/inform them, some still
give the "I don't give a f*** look/attitude".
Those folks do get reported....follow the rules set out is my stance.
As for poaching, I have come across way more of that BS in R3.
But, if I do stumble across it, I "do" report it.(theres were you and I differ), and even if the CO's cant do much, atleast
they were informed....that's all one can do.
I assume if it (poaching) is reported in one area, and there seems to be multiple reports coming in, I think the CO's look
into "that" much harder.
To hard for them to just investigate "random" poaching....IMO.
Glad to hear guys are taking Elk, but, 4-25 is a large area.
My only oint as far as the OP goes is, that it isn't all that "Rosie" in the EK as far as elk #'s.
I don't hunt every corner of the EK, so if elk are more abundant down south (which, from what I am told, hold more elk #'s), I wouldn't know that from my experience.
But, I know where I go, there has been a decline in the elk that live there.
I never said there weren't elk in there....just no where near the #'s it used to hold.
And that report that came out (can't remember who?), is pretty bang on if someone was to ask me.
And that is pretty sad for the future for elk if things don't change.
Granted, that fire down around White Swan (White Cr) is exactly what is needed, plus more areas like that in the future.
And as for poaching, I will just report it...even if the CO's don't have the time (or the fuel!) to investigate, atleast they
have a record of it.....
But I would never in my life, look at something that appears to have been poached, and just turn my head and keep going and never say anything, or, just assume the CO's won't take the time.
If they see something is "out of whack" or reports like that come in often enough, they will look into it....
But, if someone doesn't tell them.....then that someone isn't helping...
Now you know who I am.

HarryToolips
09-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Bugle is right, don't hesitate to phone RAPP...the CO's will always try to look into reported incidents when they have time, I have had calls back from CO's in the past when I've used RAPP..

LBM
09-17-2017, 06:28 AM
There will always be poaching...everywhere....nothing anybody can do about it.
If I come across it, I report it.
As for 4-25, where I hunt, I have never seen it going on, or seen that it may have gone on etc.
The main problem I see is some guys disobeying the "road closures", and when I remind them/inform them, some still
give the "I don't give a f*** look/attitude".
Those folks do get reported....follow the rules set out is my stance.
As for poaching, I have come across way more of that BS in R3.
But, if I do stumble across it, I "do" report it.(theres were you and I differ), and even if the CO's cant do much, atleast
they were informed....that's all one can do.
I assume if it (poaching) is reported in one area, and there seems to be multiple reports coming in, I think the CO's look
into "that" much harder.
To hard for them to just investigate "random" poaching....IMO.
Glad to hear guys are taking Elk, but, 4-25 is a large area.
My only oint as far as the OP goes is, that it isn't all that "Rosie" in the EK as far as elk #'s.
I don't hunt every corner of the EK, so if elk are more abundant down south (which, from what I am told, hold more elk #'s), I wouldn't know that from my experience.
But, I know where I go, there has been a decline in the elk that live there.
I never said there weren't elk in there....just no where near the #'s it used to hold.
And that report that came out (can't remember who?), is pretty bang on if someone was to ask me.
And that is pretty sad for the future for elk if things don't change.
Granted, that fire down around White Swan (White Cr) is exactly what is needed, plus more areas like that in the future.
And as for poaching, I will just report it...even if the CO's don't have the time (or the fuel!) to investigate, atleast they
have a record of it.....
But I would never in my life, look at something that appears to have been poached, and just turn my head and keep going and never say anything, or, just assume the CO's won't take the time.
If they see something is "out of whack" or reports like that come in often enough, they will look into it....
But, if someone doesn't tell them.....then that someone isn't helping...
Now you know who I am.

Nope don't know who you are, can tell a lot about your character from what you right.
Again all was reported or the COs are aware of it, some cases dealt with some still going through the process and some nothing will ever happen.
As said there is lots that goes on here that you don't have a clue about.
Wildlife will never get back to numbers of the past.
Personally I think things can be done about poaching/illegal activity I guess that's were you and I differ

Bugle M In
09-17-2017, 11:59 AM
LBM, I really have nothing more to add.
My beef with you was that you stated poaching was going on, and that you "did not" waste your time reporting it back then.
Now, you say you did/do....so what am I to make of that when you stated otherwise in the past!!??
Your the one who said it, right there in the thread that I posted to remind you.
Now you say I am not overly concerned about poaching going on...???...really!!
I inquired about your statement from the past, to a CO that I know you've worked with in the past, and he actually called me in person (and, on his time off...just so you know...), and said there was nothing happening that he was aware of,
that gave any concern that something extra ordinary was happening in regards to poaching.
So ya, he had heard of hardly any poaching reports, so yup, if there was a lot that was going on, you sure weren't passing that info on to the local CO office.
If you are reporting stuff...I would not know.
As for my lack of concern, you are so wrong, its a joke...
All I said is, if there is poaching going on, then it is no more then what happens everywhere else in the province.

The only thing you do have right, is yes, the CO's are busy up there....
Probably understaffed, or not sufficient funding to be out in the filed more often.
Only once have I seen them carry out a week long blitz of the area, being out in the field, checking hunters.
Something they need to do more often, but you can blame government for those issue's.
Doesn't look the NDP is going to do much about that, so you can blame them as much as everyone can blame the
Liberals in the past.
IT is sad what is happening....we pay for tags etc, but not much of that money is going back to fund for more CO time
in the field, or more CO's for that matter.
LBM, understand this, you may know your stuff (dogs etc, and that you live up there etc), but when you made the
Statement that "poaching is going on a lot up there, and that you "did not" report it!, whether it was because you felt it was a waste of time, or that CO's wont bother investigating, falls on you...you made those statements right here on this forum in former threads...
AND THAT is why I have "0" respect for you.
And then you will make useless comments like " by calling the CO's I am wasting their precious time"!!
Are you for real!!
And then say I have "no concerns" about the poaching that does go on....
Making comments like that even further my lack of respect for you...
I know others see what I am talking about....
Anyways, in my books, your a lost cause to talk with on here, so say what you want, distort crap if you want, but I am
going to give the other folks on this site a break from these past dozen posts or so.
Your not worth my time.

gutpile
09-17-2017, 12:20 PM
This thread has completely gone off the rails time to close this thread !

LBM
09-17-2017, 03:34 PM
LBM, I really have nothing more to add.
My beef with you was that you stated poaching was going on, and that you "did not" waste your time reporting it back then.
Now, you say you did/do....so what am I to make of that when you stated otherwise in the past!!??
Your the one who said it, right there in the thread that I posted to remind you.
Now you say I am not overly concerned about poaching going on...???...really!!
I inquired about your statement from the past, to a CO that I know you've worked with in the past, and he actually called me in person (and, on his time off...just so you know...), and said there was nothing happening that he was aware of,
that gave any concern that something extra ordinary was happening in regards to poaching.
So ya, he had heard of hardly any poaching reports, so yup, if there was a lot that was going on, you sure weren't passing that info on to the local CO office.
If you are reporting stuff...I would not know.
As for my lack of concern, you are so wrong, its a joke...
All I said is, if there is poaching going on, then it is no more then what happens everywhere else in the province.

The only thing you do have right, is yes, the CO's are busy up there....
Probably understaffed, or not sufficient funding to be out in the filed more often.
Only once have I seen them carry out a week long blitz of the area, being out in the field, checking hunters.
Something they need to do more often, but you can blame government for those issue's.
Doesn't look the NDP is going to do much about that, so you can blame them as much as everyone can blame the
Liberals in the past.
IT is sad what is happening....we pay for tags etc, but not much of that money is going back to fund for more CO time
in the field, or more CO's for that matter.
LBM, understand this, you may know your stuff (dogs etc, and that you live up there etc), but when you made the
Statement that "poaching is going on a lot up there, and that you "did not" report it!, whether it was because you felt it was a waste of time, or that CO's wont bother investigating, falls on you...you made those statements right here on this forum in former threads...
AND THAT is why I have "0" respect for you.
And then you will make useless comments like " by calling the CO's I am wasting their precious time"!!
Are you for real!!
And then say I have "no concerns" about the poaching that does go on....
Making comments like that even further my lack of respect for you...
I know others see what I am talking about....
Anyways, in my books, your a lost cause to talk with on here, so say what you want, distort crap if you want, but I am
going to give the other folks on this site a break from these past dozen posts or so.
Your not worth my time.
I really don't care if you respect me or not and you can still keep on making stuff up.
The stuff was reported I didn't say I reported it im not going to waste there time reporting what they all ready no.
You better go back and read your first line on post 46 ( There will always be poaching...everywhere...nothing anybody can do about it)
I said personally I think things can, that's were we differ.
Never said you have no concern you just dream this stuff up , your the one distorting things up. You should really slow down and read things
for even on the old post pretty sure It said most people don't report things not I
oh and the elk count is 9 now