PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Fit Sheep Meat Into A Backpack

summit151
08-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Hey. So I have a question. I have gone sheep hunting alot but this is the first time going on a 5 day hunt and using a 80 L Pack. My question how does one fit the sheep meat into the back pack? My back pack neat full now. I have not packed much extra stuff. Just the essentials. Wonder if there is any tricks to hailing it out? Or do I need a bigger pack.

Thanks

RiverOtter
08-23-2017, 12:09 PM
I did it with a 100 liter pack this year. 1.5 pillow cases of sheep meat, plus horns and cape. Only alteration was putting my tent on the outside of my pack and extending the drift collar a bit. Light gear compressed in the bottom, meat mid ship near my back(In a garbage bag), other gear filled in around with cape above. Horns went between the collar and pack lid.

Depending on how far into your hunt you are, food wise, 80 liters could be a really tight fit.

RiverOtter
08-23-2017, 12:10 PM
The gear junkie side of me is screaming, "Bigger Pack". Haha.

ElliotMoose
08-23-2017, 12:11 PM
De-bone! There are a couple pretty good videos on youtube.

This one is decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsDu0XcFhw

RiverOtter
08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Assumed deboning was a given on a sheep hunt, right along with caping and salting prior to pack out.

Anyone packing out bone in sheep quarters for 1-2 days is waaaay more man than I'll ever be. Haha.

Rob
08-23-2017, 12:32 PM
I debone the meat then place the meat into a kifaru game bag. It keeps the meat vertical in the sack so it doesn't sag into a blob of meat. this helps a lot. If your limited on pack space you can either upgrade do a larger pack or start attaching gear on the outside of you current one

todbartell
08-23-2017, 01:23 PM
a lot of hunting packs these days have the overload shelf which allows the meat to go between the frame and the bag

http://images.soleadventure.com/2014-co-elk/DSCN0710.jpg

scotty30-06
08-23-2017, 02:28 PM
^^^^^heavy pack there I bet

71_camaro
08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Very heavy!!

nazarow
08-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Looks like an Exo pack there being put to the test! Must be American with the sidearm on the belt.

Fitting the meat between the pack and frame like shown in the photo would be best. Keep the heaviest weight closest to your body not too low.

spear
08-23-2017, 06:35 PM
de bone and trim the meat. Get a roll top dry bag thats long and narrow, pacl gear around it, leave room for tent and any heavy items to cinch between lid and snow collar. Packed out a 1/2 ram plus gear on two occasions with a 4300 cubic inch (70L) pack

Stone Sheep Steve
08-23-2017, 06:45 PM
If you can't get a bigger pack, get a waterproof compression sac for your bulky item (eg. clothes) and strap
it to the outside.

SSS

LuckyIfYouGetOne
08-23-2017, 08:59 PM
i typically pack out animal (deboned meat, cape, horn) and then go back for gear...trying to do it all at once really is not that safe or manageable...more prone to injury oneself.

RiverOtter
08-23-2017, 09:10 PM
i typically pack out animal (deboned meat, cape, horn) and then go back for gear...trying to do it all at once really is not that safe or manageable...more prone to injury oneself.
On a full day or more hike out, I'll either make 1 heavy slow trip out or skip the trigger yank altogether. Also, with plane or boat charter, time is not always on your side for extra trips.

HarryToolips
08-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Looks like an Exo pack there being put to the test! Must be American with the sidearm on the belt.

Fitting the meat between the pack and frame like shown in the photo would be best. Keep the heaviest weight closest to your body not too low.
Never sheep hunted but learned keeping the heaviest weight closest to your body and not too low...the hard way..