PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops sighting in rifle

rdamours
08-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Does anyone have advice for sighting in a new rifle in the Kamloops area? The ranges are closed, as is the backcountry. Thoughts?

dmaxtech
08-23-2017, 06:28 AM
A bore sighter in your basement?

russm86
08-23-2017, 08:05 AM
The back country around Kamloops is not closed, unless it has changed in the last day or two... Only closures are fire bans and ORVs. Regular pickups on FSRs are fine. Just go up higher where it is still green and make sure not to use rocks or steel as your target. Use an old deactivated logging road or something that doesn't have a lot of brush/grass on it. Don't fire from prone (laying down) in tall dead grass and be sure to pick up your brass right away. Extremely low risk of starting a fire from a regular hunting rifle if you do these things. Most sparks and flames caused by shooting comes from black powder shooters or the choice of target (aka tannerite, rocks, steel) and bullet choice (steel core) which aren't allowed for hunting anyways. The only other time I've seen flames come out the end of a gun are with excessively short barreled guns.

Also, for what it's worth, there are hunting seasons open in Region 3 already, so I'd imagine that if they thought there was that much of a concern regarding hunters etc starting fires with rifles/shotguns they would have put a full back country access ban in place or shutdown the hunting seasons that are open.

bacon_overlord
08-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Drive towards Savona, there's a pullout on the left about 6km before Savona super save gas that has a bench and target backers at about 100m, and a garbage can. I think it's leased range land so be sure to clean up well so it doesn't get locked up.
Given its so dry, Probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you have a fire extinguisher and water just in case you fart and it lights the grass.

Ltbullken
08-23-2017, 08:46 AM
PM sent. Good luck.

rdamours
08-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies - appreciated.

08-23-2017, 11:26 AM
anyone know if theres somewhere I can shoot 500 yards within 3 hours of vancouver?

guywitha270
08-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Go for a short drive up to the Logan Lake range. It's not fancy but it's covered and it's free.

Frank grimes
08-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Go for a short drive up to the Logan Lake range. It's not fancy but it's covered and it's free.
Is there anyone I would need to contact? Or can I just show up during the day? I just assumed it was closed as well, and I don't know anything about it.

BCHUNTER21
08-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Tried looking up the logan lake range on google but nothing came up... mind telling me how to get up there? thanks

dirtyminer
08-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Last time I checked the Logan Lake range was closed, same as KTSA.