PDA

View Full Version : Food for sheep hunt

todbartell
08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Working on my feed bag for a upcoming sheep hunt, here's what I have

Cliff bar
Peanut butter & honey bagel sandwich
Nestle Coffee Crisp chocolate bar
Trail mix made of almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, and chocolate covered almonds
Elk jerky
Vector protein bar
Mtn House / Backpackers Pantry

Sitting at around 2600kal +/- and about 20oz (1.25lbs) per day. 130kal per oz. I have plenty of body fat too :cool:

Wondering how much variety you guys take? I will only be going for 5-6 days so probably not as important as a 10-14+ day hunt. Any tips or advice? I may add in a Mtn House granola / blueberry into the mix too, enjoyed them while goat hunting a few years back

warnniklz
08-22-2017, 10:34 PM
I usually throw in a couple tins of smoked oysters and some Mr noodle

srupp
08-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Hmm pretty decent list..i buy a box ofIdaho potato flakes separate them into 2 fist sized portions in vacuum sealed bags.add the flakes to lasagna..etc gives some more oomph" volume to mountain house. add extra water..
I have tried home meals dehydrated..better quality than ME but a PITA to do.
I like trail mix but dislike the weight..lol

Ferenc
08-22-2017, 10:47 PM
In your trailmix add some walnut halves.
Good luck on your hunt !!

wsquared
08-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Have a look at ProBars, I find they have a better taste than Clif bars. Similar size /weight, but about $1 more per bar.
Cheese/crackers/ Grimms' dried mini pepperoni, dried fruit for lunch
Gu Energy gel or chomps for a boost during a break on a long sh*tty climb.
A few squares of good dark chocolate for desert can make the taste of a bad MH meal go away...
Hot apple cider or Chai tea is a nice after supper drink after a long day. If some spiced rum falls in it, all the better...

I have tried Heather's choice breakfasts and suppers. With the exchange and shipping, more money than MH or BP. But tasty, calorie dense and smaller packaging. I alternate HC and BP for suppers.

RiverOtter
08-22-2017, 11:37 PM
I used to focus on variety, now I'm more geared to what I like best, though that's on a 12 day hunt.
MH Chicken and Rice with a small handful of BP Pantry dried vegetables thrown in is awesome for big calorie burn days.

I find regular Cliff bars a bit heavy for protein/calorie content, so tried some of the 30gram protein bars that Costco sells and love them. (Just like the Cliff Builder bars, but 10 extra grams of protein)

Big fan of instant oatmeal for b-fast, as well as MH breakfast skillets.

Dried mangoes, jerky and Eatmore bars are great lunch items.

300rum700
08-23-2017, 06:33 AM
The pre packaged cheese slices are good as are landjager, salami or any other cured meat. Another thing worth looking into are the energy gummies that runners use they can make long hikes go a lot better. I take the Nuun tablets too to stay hydrated.

Blockcaver
08-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Finn Crisp (stacked rye crisp that holds up well in the pack) for the tuna and Asiago Cheese
Emergen-C sports drink powder.....orange or lemon-lime......prevents cramps for me
Powdered milk for breakfast and in tea/coffee
Otherwise its a decent list combined with other poster's ideas.

Good luck on the hunt!!!!!

Jrax
08-23-2017, 08:09 AM
I would throw in a few packs of dried soup mix for those days you get to camp wet and cold or have yet to set up and temperature dropping fast and need something hot quick to get core temperature up. Even a broth mix/packet will work then throw in salami meat, dried onion and veggies and cheese. Dried crimini mushrooms are delicious. I like to bring a small brick of butter between two guys - melt butter in pan, add salami and sear then add water, broth, cheese etc. - tasty treat that will make u feel better quickly.

Cheese, salami, butter and peanut/almond butter are my choices for the heavier/high calorie foods.

Red_Mist
08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
I kinda focus on what my activity level is going to be like. When I have a solid trek into camp and plan on daily hikes, its mostly quick carbs and sugar I want. So bars, granola and pressed fruit like fruit to go work for me. For camp its protein and fat I want too keep me warm, so mountain house type meals with best macro nutrient content, my favorite macaroni and cheese product. My comfort food is soup mix and drink it out of my coffee mug. Variety wise I could pretty much eat the same thing for a week. Electrolyte replacement isn't a bad idea either.

BCBRAD
08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Pick really low carbohydrate foods......you will 'starve to death' with out feeling hungry. Probably drop 10 pounds on a 6 day hunt.

bigwhiteys
08-23-2017, 09:23 AM
I used to focus on variety, now I'm more geared to what I like best, though that's on a 12 day hunt.

This is where I'm at now... Only take what I like, otherwise it is wasted space in my pack.

Cliff bar
Peanut butter & honey bagel sandwich
Vector protein bar

Chewing that stuff down when you are tired, parched and running low on water won't be fun, lol. I have to force myself through it sometimes lol... Soups or a MH chicken and noodles makes a good lunch with some re-hydration mixed in. The more liquids the better for me.

MH Granola w/Blueberries is always a staple in my pack, lots of calories. It's also usually not too difficult to find a bunch of wild blue berries in sheep country to add to the mix.

Good Luck!

BCbillies
08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Protein shake (Isagenix) for breakfast
Pepper Salami, cheese and rye bread for lunch
MH for dinner
Trail mix, fruit bars, power bars whenever a snack is needed
Hot chocolate before bed
Sheep meat with Montreal Stake Spice once a tag is cut :)

swampthing
08-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Don't forget coffee!!

Brew
08-23-2017, 07:04 PM
I like to have a weight gainer shake in the morning for breakfast along with my oatmeal. Nothing like getting 1200 calories first thing in the am. Your going to burn 4-5000 calories a day depending on how much hiking your doing with your pack. I've been wearing my Fitbit at work lately doing single stem heli logging. Packing a saw a 2 in 1 of gas and oil and food and water for the day in your pack is about 50-60 pounds of gear and I'm burning 4500-5300 calories in a 24 hour period.
During a sheep hunt you will still loose weight eating 3000 calories a day I figure unless your in a great spot and can just glass all day on your ass.
eat lots of fats and slow burning carbs

scoutlt1
08-23-2017, 07:24 PM
I used to pack granola/energy bars on my hunts, but over the last few years I've found/learned they are loaded with sugars and "empty" carbs. So many of them are loaded with sugars and, while they give you a feeling of "energy", they don't "sustain" you over the long term (watch out for ingredients like glucose and fructose).
Pure protein (jerky?), nuts/seeds, fat (dried banana chips?) have all worked well for me.
I don't worry about variety even on a 2 week hunt. When I'm done I know I'm going to have tons of cheeseburgers, fries, and beer. :)
Remember that when you look at the ingredients, every 4 grams of sugar is the same as one sugar cube...

Timberjack
08-23-2017, 07:48 PM
I take the Nuun tablets too to stay hydrated.

What's a Nunn tablet? I assume an electrolyte pill sort of thing?

skuntor
08-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Looks like an alka seltzer and you drop it in water.

What's a Nunn tablet? I assume an electrolyte pill sort of thing?

Elkchaser
08-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Breakfast - 2 oatmeal packs and coffee. One vacuum sealed bag for two days of snacks has 2-3 Swiss farmer sausage, baby bells or individual Cracker Barrel cheese, trail mix, home made dried fruit, kit kat chunky, gum bears.
supper MH, turkey tetrazzini is favourite. Oh yeah, all day everyday, big fat dip of chew. Best of luck, look forward to some pictures.

todbartell
08-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I got my feed bag up to 4000kal per day, coming in at 2.4 lbs (with packaging) Approx macro split is 54% carbs, 23% fats, 23% protein

Here's what I have and approx calorie per ounce from highest to lowest

Fritos corn chips, 159kal per oz
Nestle Coffee Crisp, 147kal per oz
Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 140kal per oz
Schneiders Pepperette dry pepperoni, 128kal per oz
Cliff Bar, nut butter filled, 127kal per oz
Cheddar cheese single, 122kal per oz
Vector protein bar, 121kal per oz
Mtn House breakfast, various, avg is approx 119kal per oz
Lipton chicken cup a soup, 115kal per oz
SunRype Superfruit bar, 92kal per oz
Mtn House dinner, various, avg is approx 77kal per oz
Sesame seed whole grain bagel w/ two tablespoons each of crunchy peanut butter & honey, 85kal per oz (heavy! thought it would be higher up the list)
elk jerky, 66kal per oz

Avg is 105kal per oz +/-

For a long 10+ day hunt I would be leaving out a few items!!!

untilthelastbeat
08-23-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm going to try granola with almond slices and crasins with vanilla.protein powder for milk for breakfast this year. Alot better than oatmeal. A little heavy but worth it to start the day right

twoSevenO
08-24-2017, 12:37 AM
4000 calories is a lot of food. If you plan to eat 4000 calories you'll pretty much just be eating all day.

I ate 4000 calories for a while when I was putting on weight and let me tell you .... eating that many is actually a chore. And on top of that, I was shitting like 4 times a day. You ain't gonna have time to eat that much or shit that much on a hunt :)

300rum700
08-24-2017, 05:52 AM
4000 kcal is too much. Some long distance runners say you can only digest 100 cal/hr so anything more and your body isn't as efficient as it could be and will actually bog you down. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 260, and I shoot for 2500 cal per day and get by just fine.

300rum700
08-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Loose the high sugar high sodium snacks and take more fatty, slow release carb foods. The mountain house alone will make you swell up from water retention for a few days after the hunt.

Seth
08-24-2017, 07:05 AM
4000 kcal is too much. Some long distance runners say you can only digest 100 cal/hr so anything more and your body isn't as efficient as it could be and will actually bog you down. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 260, and I shoot for 2500 cal per day and get by just fine.

I agree. I went for opening of sheep this year and packed 3200cal per day. I'm 5'10" and 175#, I'm going to scale that back to probably 2700-2800cal for next season. I took high fat/cal items and am glad I did. My body seams to operate better with that than the high sugar/carb alternative. Try the new Clif Nut Butter filled bars, not as dry as the originals. They come highly recommended.

todbartell
08-24-2017, 09:30 AM
:mrgreen: It seemed like a lot

Will pull some stuff out. This will come in at about 2740kal +/- & 130kal per oz

Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 140kal per oz
Sesame seed whole grain bagel w/ two tablespoons each of crunchy peanut butter & honey, 85kal per oz (heavy! thought it would be higher up the list)
elk jerky, 66kal per oz

There, got the feed bag down to 21oz per day, this doesn't include the Mtn House breakfast or dinner.

RiverOtter
08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
One thing I notice on backpack hunts is the lack of desire to snack. To be honest, aside from breakfast, I often eat only after I look at my watch and think wow, I should probably eat something. It's not uncommon to go from b-fast to dinner with only an Eatmore, a protein bar and a couple small pieces of jerky or handful of trail mix. Water is a different story, never skimp on that or electrolytes.

RiverOtter
08-24-2017, 10:21 AM
One more thing. Keep track of actual food consumption on a daily basis for future hunts. I like to pack about 1 day of extra food off a mountain, but only because I pack an extra day to start with to cover emergencies.

Almost nailed it this year, ALMOST. Haha.

Timberjack
08-24-2017, 07:30 PM
One thing I notice on backpack hunts is the lack of desire to snack. To be honest, aside from breakfast, I often eat only after I look at my watch and think wow, I should probably eat something. It's not uncommon to go from b-fast to dinner with only an Eatmore, a protein bar and a couple small pieces of jerky or handful of trail mix. Water is a different story, never skimp on that or electrolytes.

exactly... on all counts. It just goes to show how much we overeat when at home not working our assess off in the mountains. No wonder north Americans have a weight problem!!!

TJ

SaintSix
08-24-2017, 10:05 PM
1 thing I bring that I don't think was mentioned. I smoke my own salmon and will bring some in individual vac sealed packs, not sure what the cal per oz is. But for me its a way of getting real meat in my system. Too much processed stuff and I just feel lazy and drained.

bigwhiteys
08-24-2017, 10:09 PM
elk jerky, 66kal per oz

Don't forget the baby wipes!!! Game Changer.

Ohwildwon
08-26-2017, 03:09 PM
This is a great, do it your self, power bar recipe...

I'm able to find everything in the bulk section of save on foods..

I grind all the seeds and nuts in a coffee grinder..

Courtesy The Journal of Mountain Hunting
JOMH Powerball RecipeDry ingredients:1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup all-purpose oats
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup cranberries unsweetened
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup hemp hearts
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup ground coffee
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chipsWet ingredients:2 bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
4 eggs
1/2 cup REAL maple syrupDirections:

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl combine eggs, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
Pour wet ingredients into large bowl and mix.
Add two ripe mashed bananas and mix.
Form batter into ping pong sized balls.
Then sprinkle balls with a liberal amount of sea salt
Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until lightly brown on surface
Makes approximately 50-60 individual powerballs (1 powerball = 1 unit).

Approximately 33g/unit
Approximately 155cal/unit
4.4cal/g

Gateholio
08-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Bartell left his coffee crisp at home, but I got an Inreach message from him that says he wished he had brought it. :)

markomoose
08-26-2017, 08:57 PM
I only slept during the day (Grizzlies).Never saw one?Lost 13 lbs in 7 days.Mice got into a bunch of trailmix.I f****** have a hard time to this day eating birdseed!!Found an Apple on the trail that someone dropped on day 6.Best apple I ever ate!Never shot a thing but it was one of the best experiences of my life.My son and I are gonna do it next August before I get too old.Is 54 too old to hunt Stone Sheep? Cheers Mark

bigwhiteys
08-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Is 54 too old to hunt Stone Sheep?

I've seen guys in their 70's backpacking for Stone's Sheep.

Blockcaver
08-27-2017, 10:11 AM
I only slept during the day (Grizzlies).Never saw one?Lost 13 lbs in 7 days.Mice got into a bunch of trailmix.I f****** have a hard time to this day eating birdseed!!Found an Apple on the trail that someone dropped on day 6.Best apple I ever ate!Never shot a thing but it was one of the best experiences of my life.My son and I are gonna do it next August before I get too old.Is 54 too old to hunt Stone Sheep? Cheers Mark

I arrowed a Stone on a backpack hunt last year when I was 63. Just got back from an NWT Dall hunt......arrowed a nice Dall! You just go slower when you are old, but it is a great reason to stay in shape/get in shape. When I was starting archery sheep hunting in 1980, never dreamed I'd complete a grand slam (ever) when I was 64, but it happened.

Jrax
08-27-2017, 10:49 AM
my dad and I hiked over 100km looking for rams when he got his last one at 71. he worked hard to stay in shape, hunting season is his biggest motivation to keep at it for sure.

albravo2
08-27-2017, 11:38 AM
I know Mark has already left but I'll add a tidbit.

I was told by an adventure racer that macadamia nuts are the highest calorie/fat per ounce. I always have a few in my pack.

markomoose
08-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys ! That is some great inspiration!I feel a lot younger now.I better start training soon.My son is less than half my age.He ain't gonna make the ol man look bad. Cheers Mark

todbartell
08-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Well I'm happy with my food bag, next time will take half as much jerky. And try to find something higher in calories per oz to replace it with

REMINGTON JIM
08-30-2017, 10:15 PM
I arrowed a Stone on a backpack hunt last year when I was 63. Just got back from an NWT Dall hunt......arrowed a nice Dall! You just go slower when you are old, but it is a great reason to stay in shape/get in shape. When I was starting archery sheep hunting in 1980, never dreamed I'd complete a grand slam (ever) when I was 64, but it happened.

That is a Very WONDERFULL achievemeant there Buddy ! GRAN Slam Sheep with a Bow and Arrow ! AWESOME ! Not many hunters will ever get there ! Congrats !

Cheers Jim

monasheemountainman
08-30-2017, 10:50 PM
That is a Very WONDERFULL achievemeant there Buddy ! GRAN Slam Sheep with a Bow and Arrow ! AWESOME ! Not many hunters will ever get there ! Congrats !

Cheers Jim
x10000 great job man!!

monasheemountainman
08-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Well I'm happy with my food bag, next time will take half as much jerky. And try to find something higher in calories per oz to replace it with

Yeah nobody cares man, did you kill a sheep?!!!!:):):)

todbartell
08-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Yeah nobody cares man, did you kill a sheep?!!!!:):):)

season doesn't open until the 20th, just went for a look

todbartell
09-23-2017, 09:07 PM
food list 2.0 for upcoming sheep hunt :

chocolate coconut chews, mango pomegranate chews, reese mini cups, 147kal per oz
Trail Mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, chocolate almonds, & chocolate acai berries, 142kal per oz
dry salami, 120kal per oz
Cliff Builder protein bar, 113kal per oz

Coming in at 1.4lbs per day (w/ MH) , 2680 kcal . Approx breakdown of 28% fats, 56% carbs, 16% protein

09-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Dried onion, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic clove ........ To marinate your back straps in or rub onto your back straps or ribs when ya tag the critter, it's TERRIFIC !

not even two additional ounces , well worth it!

Rhyno
09-24-2017, 04:26 AM
Only read 1/2 the thread but I would say your second list is a lot of food! I packed heavy on food this year and was up around 1.7lb per day....but you gotta carry it ;)

All I would have added from the original list beside coffee is an energy like shot blocks and drink mixes (nuun, single serving packets of ice tea, whatever)

I was also wishing I packed a dessert every day.

Oh ya, put some bacon on that peanut butter and honey bagel, learned that one from Rackmastr, life changing:)

Good Luck!

Buck
09-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Good on you i still hunt sheep at 58 but not with a bow that really takes commitment