PDA

View Full Version : Binocular harness what do you use ?? Prose and cons?

fudge
08-22-2017, 03:24 PM
I'm in the market for a new binocular harness and would love to know what you use and what you like and don't about them.. I had a kuiu but it only lasted one season.

twoSevenO
08-22-2017, 03:58 PM
A cheap $12.99 harness off amazon. Just two elastic straps around the shoulders.

I don't get the point of those big bino chest bags. They are expensive and look like they would make me even sweatier than I usually am given their size.

I've seen some that I swear looked like a mini baby carrier in front lol

ljalberta
08-22-2017, 04:48 PM
I love my Alaska Guide Creations. Very comfy harness and protects my binos, as well as gives a little storage on the chest which I like. The downside is some people find it a little bulky (the harness and the buckles), and I wish the lid folded open the other way. Love it though.

Wentrot
08-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Alaska guide creations for the win. Myself and the hunting partner both use one. i used one of the amazon harnesses before and this puts it to shame.

RiverOtter
08-22-2017, 05:51 PM
I've used a Leupold simple cross shoulder harness and now a Badlands chest bag holder. Honestly, I don't like either. One offers no protection from the elements, the other is a glorified murse.

I'm more inclined to have something that combines both. Sleek and offering some protection, at least to to lens ends.

RiverOtter
08-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Also, the Badlands is hot and soaks up body moisture which leads to fogging the bins on the inside of the bag. After a week of chasing sheep, the bag smells like hockey equipment, so the last week is a real treat.

RackStar
08-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Plane ol basic vortex one.
Works for me?
i hate all those bulky silly lookin things. Some guys got so many gadgets strapped to them they look like they are going to war

landphil
08-22-2017, 06:18 PM
I have one of:
https://www.vero-vellini.com/products/vero-vellini-binopal-binocular-harness

It beats a neck strap and the sore neck that goes along with wearing one for an extended time, at least for me.

I also have an Allen binocular strap, from good old Princess Auto. It's that same idea. Although it is cheaper than the other, I like the fit and adjustability better on the Allen.

I will say that both can be inconvenient when bending over or moving quickly where they could start to bounce or swing. Maybe not unlike (.)(.)??:wink:

BCHoyt
08-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Alaska guide creations for the win here as well... Holds my licence, tags, range finder, knife, and some safety stuff.. I can drop my pack, make a stalk and still have everything I need!

Brew
08-22-2017, 09:12 PM
I've been running the bad lands for a long time. It's been great but does soak up water and fogs your bins. I do like the magnets on it. I just purchased the Alaska guide creations for my new Swarovskis and find it a way better setup

Salix
08-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Alaska guide creations here as well. Compact and protects the bino's when hiking through the brush. Fits the body well and doesn't swing around. A couple of small pockets to hold a few essentials as well.

Ry151
08-22-2017, 10:20 PM
I have the original Sitka style. Others are right, they are bulky compared to other options but I love mine. Keeps my binos clean and protected. I also hang an elk call, deer stopper and wind powder off it so it's handy and easy to grab. When it's snowing is when it's most worth it!

ajr5406
08-23-2017, 05:55 AM
I bought a cheap Alpz one and used it last season. It worked pretty well. This year I actually won a Badlands one form a draw at WWS in Langley. I haven't used it yet, but it's quite comfortable and seems to fit the 10x42's well with room for other bits and pieces.

this is the one: http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/optics/camo-binocular-case

Squamch
08-23-2017, 07:12 AM
I've been using the vortex harness, but I'd like to try a pouch this year. I was looking at the badlands, but the Alaska guide creations one sounds interesting.

drum_boy101
08-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Love my badlands pouch. Carry my binos, rangefinder and lens pen inside. Have never had an issue with fogging and I sweat like crazy.

Citori54
08-23-2017, 07:29 AM
I have the Badlands as well and like it.

russm86
08-23-2017, 08:02 AM
I too use the Alaska Guide Creations. They have a number of different sizes and pocket configurations if you are worried about bulkiness. Love mine, keeps the binos protected and close to the body (out of the way) even when bending over etc. Mine has the extra bottom pocket and 2 small side pockets. They keep my wind indicator and a call or 2 all handy in front so I can access everything with one hand.

mike31154
08-23-2017, 09:26 AM
I dug a vintage set of Lisenfeld binos out of retirement when I decided to try large game hunting a few years ago. They come with a leather case which fell apart at the seams on me last season. No biggie since I generally leave the case in the vehicle once in the field. The tiny leather straps also snapped on me last season. My solution, 550 cord. I had the cord on hand for a field fix & have used it ever since. During the colder part of hunting season I wear an Air Force parka with large zippered pocket at the front. Keeps them dry & protected, easy to carry and takes the pressure off the cord around my neck when they are stowed. The binos slip in there perfectly while hiking & I can pull them out easily with one hand when needed.

http://cdn.alamio.de/images/fernglas-lisenfeld-7x50-nachtglas-bei-fernoptik-wilde-jagd_11987754399252178624_640x480.jpg

Haddy
08-24-2017, 07:08 PM
I used the vortex one for years but switched this year to the kuiu bino harness and I like it better already. Keeps them up nice and high and don't feel them at all.