PDA

View Full Version : Should "mad cow disease" in game meat be a concern?

mrtires24
08-20-2017, 09:52 PM
A Family Member forwarded this article. Its an interesting read. Does anyone else have any info on it? thoughts?

http://www.environews.tv/081517-venison-elk-may-no-longer-safe-eat-study-deadly-chronic-wasting-disease-moving-humans/

Thanks
Phil

Surrey Boy
08-20-2017, 11:38 PM
If Raincoast cared about wildlife, this is what they'd put their effort toward.

As a hunter, I discard diseased animals, leaving them at the kill site if there's indication of any health hazards. So far it's only happened with small game, so I haven't lost a tag over it.

Walking Buffalo
08-20-2017, 11:56 PM
This new evidence showing the increased potential that CWD may infect humans is the most significant human health and wildlife issue we have faced since the glaciers marched from the northern world.

International governments have no idea how to deal with this problem while maintaining economic order and long held social norms.

I spoke with Darrel Rowledge today in our weekly conference on this matter. Health and agricultural agencies understand just how dire the situation is becoming, and as a result have decided to ignore science and policy in favour of turtling. The requirements of what we have to do to control CWD is basically unimaginable to actually put into practice.

CWD will change how we live and treat wildlife and agriculture, how we hunt and how governments will have to act for the sake of society.

I've discussed this at some length over on Alberta Outdoorsman. This thread will offer some additional discussion on the topic.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=317157
Will update as possible in light of new information and discussions with government agencies at provincial, national and international levels.

two-feet
08-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Meateater podcast recently had an epidode with an infectious disease expert and the topic of conversation was cwd. Pretty scary stuff.

mrtires24
08-21-2017, 08:08 AM
As a new hunter, is their signs that I should watch out for with deer elk and moose? is there areas or regions that it seams to be more evident?

igojuone
08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
As a new hunter, is their signs that I should watch out for with deer elk and moose? is there areas or regions that it seams to be more evident?

So far no CWD has been discovered in BC, that said the disease is carried for a long time before any noticeable decline in the effected animal.

igojuone
08-21-2017, 08:31 AM
If Raincoast cared about wildlife, this is what they'd put their effort toward.

As a hunter, I discard diseased animals, leaving them at the kill site if there's indication of any health hazards. So far it's only happened with small game, so I haven't lost a tag over it.

Not going to help with CWD as the study found dead rotting game becomes 'super sites' for the disease spreading to scavengers and even the soil, rocks and then uptake to the plants.

ajr5406
08-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Meateater podcast recently had an epidode with an infectious disease expert and the topic of conversation was cwd. Pretty scary stuff.

mrtires24: if you havent already, this is definitely worth listening too. Its a great interview and I learned a ton about CWD.

jassmine
08-21-2017, 10:55 AM

FAQ sheet from OMAFRA

https://s30.postimg.org/l59tgqrxt/cwd2011.png

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/alternat/facts/11-025.htm

Xenomorph
08-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Is there anything that destroys the prions? Fire, time?

two-feet
08-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Is there anything that destroys the prions? Fire, time?

They can survive 600c and last years and years. Seems inevitable that it will make its way here eventually

2chodi
08-21-2017, 05:36 PM
http://nprg.ca/2017/06/a-guide-to-understanding-chronic-wasting-disease/

Salty
08-21-2017, 05:50 PM

I'm no expert on cwd but in general the old stand by is if the liver of an animal is healthy, all the same colour no spots or such, its a very good chance the animal is fine to eat.

caddisguy
08-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Not going to help with CWD as the study found dead rotting game becomes 'super sites' for the disease spreading to scavengers and even the soil, rocks and then uptake to the plants.

I wonder if certain plants are able to neutralize prions. There seems to be more spread of CWD where there is a lot of agriculture, particularly corn. Maybe corn just doesn't do the job? Just a shot in the dark.

08-21-2017, 05:55 PM
There are thousands of deer and elk with CWD in the USA. Still, very few people have developed spongiform encephalopathy. There is some risk I'm sure, and the horrific nature of the disease makes it really scary. However, I'm sure the chance of getting killed driving to a hunting spot are much greater than dying of spongiform encephalopathy

two-feet
08-21-2017, 06:09 PM
There has never been a confimed case of disease transfer between deer/elk/moose and human. But the experts figure it is only a matter of time.