PDA

View Full Version : Which Organisation to help hunters and Shooters the most?

Fallkniven
08-18-2017, 02:31 PM
OK, well after saying participation in a strong Pro Hunting/shooting organisation is the best way to maintain our hunting and shooting rights, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedom?

Just looking for suggestions etc....

jassmine
08-18-2017, 03:09 PM
If you're interested in more science and less lobbying, I would suggest The Wildlife Society. It is a major force in policy making and wildlife management in the U.S and gaining momentum here in Canada.

Parent organization:
http://wildlife.org/about/
Founded in 1937, the organization’s mission is “To inspire, empower, and enable wildlife professionals to sustain wildlife populations and habitats through science-based management and conservation.” The Wildlife Society enhances our members’ networking and learning opportunities, professional and career development, and provides numerous ways for them to get more involved in creating a better future for wildlife and their habitats.

Canadian section:
http://cstws.ca/about/
The Canadian Section of The Wildlife Society was formed in 2007. The mission of CSTWS is to foster excellence in wildlife stewardship through science and education in Canada. Members are drawn from provincial, territorial and federal governments, universities and colleges, environmental and wildlife conservation groups, resource industries, First Nations and the general public, including scientists, managers, educators, students, technicians, planners, consultants and others interested in the management, conservation and study of wildlife populations and their habitats.

Fallkniven
08-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Hi Jassmine thanks, I'll take a look. Given recent events, a strong lobby group is a preference

jbruce
09-13-2017, 04:35 AM
bcwf, JOIN YOUR LOCALE FISH AND GAME CLUB...

boxhitch
09-13-2017, 08:19 AM
If you're interested in more science and less lobbying, I would suggest The Wildlife Society. It is a major force in policy making and wildlife management in the U.S and gaining momentum here in Canada.. Not so much
they have a voice, with lots of science behind it, and issue self-proclaimed 'policy statements'
No doubt they are concidered by policy makers but are just another voice, nothing on the ground.

Another paper dragon

a Cdn version is the Miistakis Institute, which has been involved in some Kootenay issues

boxhitch
09-13-2017, 08:29 AM
I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedomOne is never enough , none fit the complete picture.
You can pick on firearms rights and freedoms, hunter/angler use and access, sport fostering and junior development, specific species conservation efforts , habitat preservation and enhancement for habitats and /or for species, etc etc etc

Best is to sign up for an info feed from several groups for a while and get the feel for what they are all about. You may also find that the one(s) of your particular interest realy need some help that you could offer.

one-shot-wonder
09-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Not so much
they have a voice, with lots of science behind it, and issue self-proclaimed 'policy statements'
No doubt they are concidered by policy makers but are just another voice, nothing on the ground.

Another paper dragon
Agreed.... Throwing money at a local F&G club affiliated with BCWF is one option, but more importantly getting involved in whatever capacity you can is key! 'The world is run by those who show up"

Rackmastr
09-13-2017, 08:40 AM
One is never enough , none fit the complete picture.
You can pick on firearms rights and freedoms, hunter/angler use and access, sport fostering and junior development, specific species conservation efforts , habitat preservation and enhancement for habitats and /or for species, etc etc etc

Best is to sign up for an info feed from several groups for a while and get the feel for what they are all about. You may also find that the one(s) of your particular interest realy need some help that you could offer.

Agreed. "Putting your money where your mouth is" does not involve buying a single membership to an organization. There are several groups that are worth investing in and as well, putting your money where your mouth is means stepping up and putting more than just your membership dues into projects, fundraisers and action funds. Even more effective is becoming involved and giving time to an organization.

Darksith
09-13-2017, 08:41 AM
OK, well after saying participation in a strong Pro Hunting/shooting organisation is the best way to maintain our hunting and shooting rights, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and join one. But which one?, anyone got any recommendations for a Provincial or Federal group thats the best at fighting to maintaining our outdoor freedom?

Just looking for suggestions etc....

Simple....BCWF. Its local to BC, its our own lobby group, you get atv insurance with it. Its a no brainer and as said above its the first step. Not all of us have the time, or we already donate a lot of time to other charities, but in time we all should make time. I would also recommend joinging your local fish and game club, as that will be a big helper to your local area and give you the opportunities to lend a hand when you have time.

bcmulie
09-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Another vote for BC Wildlife Federation - that would be my first choice. Local fish and game club is another good suggestion. If you want an organization that advocates for hunters' rights worldwide, join Safari Club International. Other good choices would include Wild Sheep Society of BC, Wild Sheep Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Mule Deer Foundation. All are pro-hunting and invest significantly in conservation efforts.

I've never heard of The Wildlife Society - are they actually a pro-hunting group?

jassmine
09-14-2017, 11:59 AM
I've never heard of The Wildlife Society - are they actually a pro-hunting group?

They are a pretty big deal in the world of wildlife biology (probably the biggest deal). They call themselves the "Leaders in Wildlife Science, Management and Conservation" which based on their work and longevity is hard to dispute.

They're not pro or anti, they're an organization whose goal is to address issues associated with current and future status of wildlife.
The vast majority of wildlife use, management, conservation, etc. research is published in their academic journals (Journal of Wildlife Management, The Wildlife Professional). For people working or engaged in the field to some extent, it is "The" organization for them. They have thousands of members (students, land managers, farmers, ranchers, scientists, wildlife professional, hunters) and regional chapters in most states and provinces.

From their website:

Founded in 1937, the organization’s mission is “To inspire, empower, and enable wildlife professionals to sustain wildlife populations and habitats through science-based management and conservation.” The Wildlife Society enhances our members’ networking and learning opportunities, professional and career development, and provides numerous ways for them to get more involved in creating a better future for wildlife and their habitats.

http://wildlife.org/about/

rimfire
09-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Many have addressed the wildlife aspect but for a shooters, you can't beat the CCFR.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

Check out their "policies" section.

J_T
09-14-2017, 12:47 PM
To the OP. I've thought about your post over the last day. I agree with others, it is important to be a member of many organizations. For me being a member of multiple organizations allows me to really understand the perspective of each organization. And I can share the perspective of one group, with another. The task, is finding balance within each of those organizations to what you, as an individual believe, is the direction you most align with.

The single most important thing is you the individual. Ultimately making a difference is up to you. Bring your passion and be a member of any group, and commit to working with others. It won't matter what group you are a member of, its about you.

FYI, if you are thinking BCWF, I feel strongly that an individual membership is the way to go.

Rob Chipman
09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
"if you are thinking BCWF, I feel strongly that an individual membership is the way to go."

I've probably got 3 memberships in BCWF through clubs, but I also hold an individual because I think BCWF needs the money and is using it well (yeah, they could do better, but I have faith that we'll get there with some more work).

Here's my question JT: doesn't an individual membership have fewer avenues for voting than an individual? That's my understanding (I could be wrong). As an aside I also think BCWF should probably move to an individual member platform where one member = one vote. Disintermediate clubs in the voting process while keeping them involved by delivering effective and easily recognizable conservation and hunting advocacy value.