PDA

View Full Version : I Am A Trophy Hunter

labguy
08-18-2017, 07:30 AM
By not killing any buck I see, I experience more time in the bush. I get to see deer interacting, breeding, fighting and being chased by predators. I've passed on literally hundreds of bucks waiting for just the right trophy. It gives me a better outdoor experience and makes me a better hunter.

When I hunted late November Goats, I end up in treacherous, icy conditions that tested my physical and mental limits.

Being high up in those mountains stalking the right trophy Goat, pushing to my limits and beyond, brings a sense of exhilaration I can't experience anywhere else. I feel more alive than at any other time. The meat from a rutting, late November Billy is horrible but I take it anyway. The dogs will barely eat it but it is removed and used.

Spending 14 days in the mountains hunting sheep, looking for that special Ram, living on almost nothing and finally connecting with that trophy is an experience like no other.

All these experiences provide memories that are not available to those who don't hunt this way. I make no excuses for the way I choose to hunt. It's provided me with a full and satisfying life that helped define who I am as a hunter and as a man.

I am a trophy hunter and I'm good with that.

To Wolfdown and Island Wanderer........I hope you both get the opportunity to experience some of these things. Hopefully you'll become a little less judgemental and more accepting of how others choose to live their lives.

Happy trails....

Ron.C
08-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Very well said

decker9
08-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself! The last goat I took, was in 2004, Iv put in more time and miles then anyone else I personally know, passing on countles 9"+\- Billy's, even in winter, in search of "my" old 10"+ trophy billy. February 22 last winter, last hunt of the year, beautiful 8.5"ish billy in the scope, but young, 4 years old I figured, not "my trophy", no cut tag, just like most years, and I'm 100% cool with that.

You hit the nail on the head labguy, it's to bad most of the world, have the wrong outlook on what a true trophy hunter is.

good luck this season! Cheers.

Bear Chaser
08-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Well put labguy.

I also am a Trophy Hunter for the exact same reasons.
I've had more than my share of uncut sheep and deer tags where I had the opportunity to take legal animals and passed.

Norwestalta
08-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Well written. I think the term "trophy hunting" is a piss poor term. It seems to apply a stigma to hunting. I would prefer the term "selective hunting".

RiverOtter
08-18-2017, 08:46 AM
Good thread.

Trophy hunter here too, if that's what the official "Term de Jour" currently is.

todbartell
08-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Well written. I think the term "trophy hunting" is a piss poor term. It seems to apply a stigma to hunting. I would prefer the term "selective hunting".

I agree. Selective Hunting is a more proper term, IMO

rogerb
08-18-2017, 09:09 AM
very well said indeed. should be in every paper's letters to the editor in the province. rather than hide from the term 'trophy hunter' I think hunter's instead should make it their own. use it with pride every chance we get & post it right alongside pics of first animals harvested by young hunters, last animals gotten by older hunters & everything in between. use it to show a trophy is all in the mind & represents very different things to different people. used enough & used in association with positive images, it will lose the stigma the antis feel it has. I too am a trophy hunter! sounds good & feels right to me....

08-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Me too, a Trophy Hunter, the odd Doe, Cow or calf , Spikes to nice Bucks, Boars, Bulls, Billy's and Rams ....... Nothing in the Book as they say. I could care less, all TROPHYS ...... to me, and tasty critters too. Heck, even my bird mounts of various breeds, Trophy Mallards, Cocks, Ganders ....... Trophy ...... A term completely misunderstood.

KodiakHntr
08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Well written.

Same here, for the same reasons.

Weatherby Fan
08-18-2017, 09:20 AM
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder........at that moment it doesn't matter about antler or horn size........

am I a Trophy Hunter ???

I'm very selective about the deer I hunt as Ive shot lots of bucks but I haven't in a several years as I'm always looking for that whopper, last year I passed on a dozen different 4 points..........so yeh maybe I am but I've never considered myself in that terminology...... "Trophy Hunter" !

Wild one
08-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Completely understand personal a mix of both meat and trophy. I also play with different weapons to change my experience

It is the hunt I experience that drives me to go out every year more than the harvest. To challenge ones self and test what you are able to endure mentally/physically builds ones character

tell people all the time what I experience during the hunt is something a non hunter will never know

gmachine19
08-18-2017, 10:16 AM
You should call yourself just a hunter. No such thing as trophy hunting imo. I hate that term the lib media is trying to push on us.

Who cares if someone wishes to pass on 100 animals before taking "the one?"

BCHunterFSJ
08-18-2017, 10:21 AM
I am a trophy hunter as well and proud of it!
By being one I have saved the lives of many an animal.

Surrey Boy
08-18-2017, 10:24 AM
I agree. Selective Hunting is a more proper term, IMO

Trophy Wife versus Selected Wife?

Boner
08-18-2017, 10:30 AM

I think a trophy wife is like the second or third kick at the can. The first time you're happy to get one, the second or third time you are not as desperate to get your feet wet, and are more careful about where you aim your sights thinking of all of the work involved after you pull the trigger.

Wild one
08-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I think a trophy wife is like the second or third kick at the can. The first time you're happy to get one, the second or third time you are not as desperate to get your feet wet, and are more careful about where you aim your sights thinking of all of the work involved after you pull the trigger.

Plus being sure you get your $ worth after the expense of the first attempts lol

TreeStandMan
08-18-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm not a trophy hunter... but I aspire to be one.

I usually just shoot the first legal animal that comes along, and then put it in my freezer. Still, I have tremendous respect for those of you who are better hunters than I am, who can hold out for and find those older animals who are closer to the end, who have already contributed to the heard with the furthering of their genetics.

What I really want is the meat, but if I can have the meat and the trophy with which to remember my hunt and the animal that fed me, all the better.

bloody bellies
08-18-2017, 10:48 AM
personally, anything I harvest is considered a trophy in my eyes, it is a lot more difficult and costly to put meat in the freezer, or a head on the wall than heading to the grocery store.

BCBRAD
08-18-2017, 11:00 AM

Depends on the rack!

chinooker
08-18-2017, 12:04 PM
The problem is we live in a society with people who can't mind their own business!! if you don't want to hunt bears don't! Live your own life and stop telling others how to live thiers

walks with deer
08-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Labguy,

Great post!!!!

Might be the statement of the year..

watching my son stalk a bunny last night starting at 120yds and slowly as the bunny feeds he walks as the bunny looks he stops until he is 20yds and the bunny goes to full alert my son raises his little rascal and fires.

as the bunny drops with a heart shot.

dad is very proud.

when my son gets to the truck with his trophy he asks dad can we tan the hide like my last big white one we shot on easter so I have a brown one and a white one on the wall in my room.

I said absolutely.

what a Trophy outing we had irreplaceable.

Kb3
08-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Agree 100%^^^^^ Don't whine and bitch about what other people are doing until you take an honest look in the mirror.

Surrey Boy
08-18-2017, 02:26 PM
The problem is we live in a society with people who can't mind their own business!! if you don't want to hunt bears don't! Live your own life and stop telling others how to live thiers

Humanity has a pathological desire to assert dominance over others. This is how Lefties do it.

We need to stop being so naive, fight fire with fire, and get out and bully them.

BlackOwL
08-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Trophy Hunter as well, and proud to express My solidarity with Your post.

Salty
08-18-2017, 07:17 PM
So when you're shooting these trophys, where do you guys aim? Up high on the cup portion? Or low at the base of the trophy where the plaque goes? Mid way up in the neck of the trophy between the base and the cup? If it was the Stanley cup trophy I was shooting at I think I'd shoot mid way in the neck area so I didn't mess up the engraving too much :-o Some cheap old bowling trophy I'd smack it right in the cup up high!

The Hermit
08-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Send that out to all the press, papers, even radio to be read on air! Good job

REMINGTON JIM
08-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Labguy - BEST post on here in a Long time - I Completely agree with you too ! :wink: Cheers RJ

poper
08-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Great post labguy, the term "Trophy Hunter" is directed towards people that only keep the antlers, horns, rug etc.... and don't do anything with the meat,by the media,I think we're all trophy hunters in my eyes, I'm pretty happy when I can harvest an animal,and consider them all trophys.

Iron Glove
08-19-2017, 08:22 AM
So when you're shooting these trophys, where do you guys aim? Up high on the cup portion? Or low at the base of the trophy where the plaque goes? Mid way up in the neck of the trophy between the base and the cup? If it was the Stanley cup trophy I was shooting at I think I'd shoot mid way in the neck area so I didn't mess up the engraving too much :-o Some cheap old bowling trophy I'd smack it right in the cup up high!

Trust Salty to inject a bit of levity into this topic. :)
Methinks that most here would aim at the holder of the Stanley Cup, i.e. a Boston Bruin, NY Ranger or Islander as that's the closest the Canucks ( HBC's favourite team ) will ever get to a Stanley Cup. :|

Ourea
08-19-2017, 10:54 AM
I too am as selective as it gets.
I make no apologies.

I have not entered my animals in the book as I hunt for my satisfaction and certainly do not need the recognition of others or a piece of paper for gratification.
It doesnt make me a better man either.
I just enjoy the challenge and dance of hunting down the elite of the elite.
They usually win but when I do the feeling is quite something.

BeastX
08-19-2017, 12:04 PM
The trophy hunt isn't just about shooting a monster sized deer with a nice big crown to hang on the wall; rather, the trophy hunt is about having the will to prepare to work, hunt and survive in a legendary trophy-filled game area with the deadliest terrain, far from any city, hospital or civilization. The trophy hunt is about being able to survive alone, weeks and weeks, even months in the bush with the harshest and toughest of mother nature's elements - and doing so while looking after a string of horses isn't easy. Regardless of going home with a trophy or not, those who have gone and come back having accomplished such an extraordinary feat can call themselves a trophy hunter or bushman in a class by themselves. Those who say otherwise are jealous.

Ourea
08-19-2017, 12:43 PM
The trophy hunt isn't just about shooting a monster sized deer with a nice big crown to hang on the wall; rather, the trophy hunt is about having the will to prepare to work, hunt and survive in a legendary trophy-filled game area with the deadliest terrain, far from any city, hospital or civilization. The trophy hunt is about being able to survive alone, weeks and weeks, even months in the bush with the harshest and toughest of mother nature's elements - and doing so while looking after a string of horses isn't easy. Regardless of going home with a trophy or not, those who have gone and come back having accomplished such an extraordinary feat can call themselves a trophy hunter or bushman in a class by themselves. Those who say otherwise are jealous.

100%

Few know what it takes and the sacrifices necessary to just be in the position let alone close.
The sacrifice makes the reward that much sweeter.

Surrey Boy
08-19-2017, 12:47 PM
What about the book buck that was shot at Thunderbird Show Park in Langley?

markomoose
08-19-2017, 08:15 PM
I agee with most of what has been posted here but I'm a meat hunter.As long as its legal and my freezer is empty its going down.Not to say I haven't passed up a decent bear or Deer.

375shooter
08-19-2017, 09:25 PM
To a large degree I'm trophy hunter, but I ultimately do hunt to fill the freezer. From the beginning of the hunt and on towards the middle, I'll pass up any smaller animals so I can continue hunting, to try to get something really big. Passing up the smaller, younger animals in favour of a bigger, older animal, which is theoretically closer to death anyway, due to greater age, makes sense to me.

When near the end of my available hunting time, I'll change my focus towards anything legal in order to just fill the freezer. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Last year for example, I passed up two spike/fork moose bulls near the beginning, then didn't see anything near the end, so ended up going home empty handed. Being successful is definitely my ultimate goal, but I'm actually quite okay with not getting something sometimes, because it gives me more time to enjoy what I love, to be in beautiful places longer, and to experience more of those peaceful surroundings.

Darksith
08-20-2017, 08:26 PM
This was a great post, and it inspired me even though I never really think of myself as a trophy hunter, to declare that I am a trophy hunter and hopefully in turn spark a conversation with some people on social media about why its not a bad thing to be a trophy hunter, even if we are late to the party so to speak in this regard.

BRrooster
08-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Great post. I am a hunter. I don't like the term "Trophy Hunter", it is a tag put upon us by others to try and help them understand our passion. Ever game animal
harvested legally is a trophy in its own right. To display my harvested game animals and appreciate the memories of the hunt they represent is my tribute to them.

abbyfireguy
08-21-2017, 05:32 PM
I dislike the term trophy Hunter. It generates no positive thoughts in my mind and I have hunted for 40 years. Personally I have only shot one bear( cinnamon phase). Didn't care for the meat too much, so I have never taken another bear.
I have taken many moose and deer ... I would never hunt grizzly as I have no desire to consume the meat. I would shoot one if it became obvious it was after my hide,but that's just survival. LOL!
I can see this trophy grizzly ban as the thin edge of the wedge as the bleed heart liberals want to end hunting...
Stand up for your rights folks..