PDA

View Full Version : Goat leh 3-33f/mule deer combo goldbridge

Steelpulse
08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Heading here for my leh goat sept 1-10 and sept 27-oct 1 giving me plenty of time to find a goat I think. Just looking for any intell on the area
grizzly bears are common or at least around the area I gather
whats the mule deer like? I imagine some big ones around
anyone have experience on truax fsr all the way around the mountain?
road from lilloet to carpenter lake how is it?
anyone else have this tag there are only 7 others out there?
anyone hunted this area before any advice appreciated?

thanks, will post up after the trip how it goes

whitlers
08-17-2017, 04:38 PM
G Bears yes.

Road from Lillooet is fine.

Decent mulie pop.

Never hunted there for goats but there has to be some good billy's in the area. There is an or was an outfitter in there.

markomoose
08-17-2017, 07:13 PM
If you don't mind a little driving Relay Creek area has some decent early season mulies if you get up high.

Steelpulse
08-18-2017, 01:39 AM
The goal is a goat and to use the leh so only if I see a rather large buck I'll only shoot a billy. I have seen and read about the relay creek/range and spoke with some friends about it definitely looks like a good area.

As fas a a hunt plan for goats do people prefer to spot up until you find and make approach from camp in the valley or camp at 8000'+ and spot from the top down the valleys ?

Ghengis Khandrey
08-18-2017, 02:11 AM
No sense walking up 8000' and seeing billies across the valley imo

ajeatoo
08-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Griz in that whole area yes, sow and two cubs were in gun creek camp ground a few weeks back, and we saw one near camp at Marshall Lake as well. They didn't want much to do with us but they are definitely all through the area.
Carpenter lake road is good, they've been patching allot of pot holes in the pavement sections.
My husband drew a mountain goat tag for 3-32E.

Steelpulse
08-18-2017, 04:28 PM
No sense walking up 8000' and seeing billies across the valley imo

My thinking is i can spot multiple drainages from one high spot and decide over a couple days whether ot not to make a move on a goat

Rhyno
08-18-2017, 05:07 PM
The goal is a goat and to use the leh so only if I see a rather large buck I'll only shoot a billy. I have seen and read about the relay creek/range and spoke with some friends about it definitely looks like a good area.

As fas a a hunt plan for goats do people prefer to spot up until you find and make approach from camp in the valley or camp at 8000'+ and spot from the top down the valleys ?

Most often I am glassing from the road till I find a billy I want to make a play on, but I like the idea of picking a spot hiking in and then glassing from there. Been much more successful with the former than the latter. That said I have seen more game, by putting in the effort first than I have just glassing from down low. I guess it depends if you don't mind hiking your buttoff without knowing there are goats there.

Steelpulse
08-18-2017, 05:18 PM
My plan will be spend the first 2 days glassing from below scouting the area and the next 5 camped more remote up high and aways back from any road

Rhyno
08-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Didn't you have a sheep hunt planned? Not to side track but have you been yet?

Steelpulse
08-19-2017, 01:44 AM
Haha yes unfortunatly sheep hunt is not happening. I drew the sheep tag before the goat but the goat has far worse odds of winning, so i chose the goat on basis that hunting partners couldnt all make it and the tag was only 2:1, for a small mountain range that i know two sets of guides are going in the 2 weeks before us.

So i have chosen the goat as its harder to draw also closer to home and can easily do solo.

Didn't you have a sheep hunt planned? Not to side track but have you been yet?

Rhyno
08-19-2017, 06:42 AM
Haha yes unfortunatly sheep hunt is not happening. I drew the sheep tag before the goat but the goat has far worse odds of winning, so i chose the goat on basis that hunting partners couldnt all make it and the tag was only 2:1, for a small mountain range that i know two sets of guides are going in the 2 weeks before us.

So i have chosen the goat as its harder to draw also closer to home and can easily do solo.

Ah, makes sense.

walks with deer
08-21-2017, 09:45 AM
if you go early find a glacier.. the goats I saw in that area where bedding on glacier edges.

don't try to cross the glacier solo. go around..

Steelpulse
08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Btt anymore intell folks?

Livinlarge
08-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Check your inbox

Steelpulse
09-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Heading out tomorrow morning reporting back mid sept thanks for the pm's. Feeling pretty good

lovemywinchester
09-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Be careful up there. That's some RUGGED country. G bears are pretty common up there from my experience.

Steelpulse
09-08-2017, 03:20 AM
Goat success. Post up later

RackStar
09-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Congrats!!

Wrj
09-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Nice! Let's here the story!:grin:

wideopenthrottle
09-08-2017, 10:10 AM
congrats in advance of the story...