PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Lab Breeders

LolMeansLotsOfLabs
08-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Hey everybody! Just wondering about people's personal experiences with lab breeders around here. I've been looking at Belmont Gun Dogs and Whiterobin Labradors and everything is looking good from what I can tell, but I'd like to hear of anybody has personal experiences with them? Know somebody who has a dog from either of them? How's their health? Do they have papers? Unfortunately I can't make any trips any time soon to see their dogs myself so I'd like to know if the info they are giving me is legit or not. One can say whatever they like in an email. Doesn't mean it's accurate. I want to make sure I'm getting a lab that isn't going to end up with hip dysplasia or eye problems. Or if you have any great dogs from any other breeders I am more than happy to hear about that also! Thanks in advance!

pnbrock
08-17-2017, 10:11 AM
belmont is producing some amazing gun dogs i have hunted for years with his dogs and assure you will not be disappointed.

Iron Glove
08-17-2017, 10:51 AM
You'll likely hear soon from far more experienced Lab people than me ( it's not our breed of choice ) but I'll simply say that Daughter and Son-In-Law has a female Lab from Whiterobin that is now about 9 or 10 years old and has never exhibited any genetic health problems. They are not hunters so can't offer any comment there but the dog did very well at tracking and is a great retriever and fantastic with our two Grand girls. For what it's worth, Daughter was very anal in checking out the Breeder as she is an Animal Tech who was working at a Vet Clinic at the time.
A couple who live in Hope a street over from us have a male from Whiterobin, I think @ 3 years old. They are upland hunters and have spoken highly about the dog's abilities and have never experienced any health problems. Any interactions I and our dogs have had with their dog have been positive.
As with all breeders, do your due diligence.

fudge
08-17-2017, 11:37 AM
I know kevin from Belmont personaly he breeds amazing dogs and you will not be disappointed. He knows his stuff and lives and breaths these dogs

weatherby_man
08-17-2017, 02:06 PM
White Robin in Princeton have great labs. Just planning on calling them up to get another.

lorneparker1
08-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Kevin at Belmont breeds great dogs. Yes they are registered, health tested and comes for great lines. Would definitely recommend.

labguy
08-18-2017, 06:44 AM
Last time I checked, White Robin DID NOT test their breeding stock for CNM ( centronucular myopathy) or EIC ( exercise induced collapse). This may have since changed.....I hope so.

I would NEVER purchase a Labrador without these tests and many others being done on both parents.

Just because someone knows that a dog purchased from a particular kennel turned out fine means shit.

Belmont does all the necessary health testing pre-breeding as does Cedarbrae and Eromit Labs in Quesnel. All reputable breeders committed to breed improvement with a high level of integrity.

08-18-2017, 07:57 AM
lab guy.
That used to be something I didn't believe in, only due to my ignorance. My uncle bread Springers, but it was well before the "industry" knew about this stuff. That was where my ignorance started. My first lad was not tested, yes he was a healthy great dog BUT.
Through this site people I talked to, and yes sometimes at that point argued with.. like Kasomor.. I learned a few things. Ya, I learned I was ignorant to this exact thing... Testing. I am still not terribly up on all the different things they test for and how they do it. but what I say to people now, now that I have been informed is......

Tested dogs are not necessarily more money than non tested. Breeders who take care enough to test their dogs are in it for the health of the breed and put effort to making sure you get the most healthy dog you can. At the same dollar as one that doesn't.. so why would you not go with a breeder that cares....

Sure that doesn't mean the dog wont come up with something, but it does mean that you have done the best to make sure it doesn't get one of these things. As well if the breeder puts in the time to test, that probably means they have also put in the time to breed a dog that fits your needs.

find a breeder that breeds the line of lab that you want, they are very different. ( sorry if my terms are wrong here but its how I separate them.... feel free to inform me otherwise)

Chase was my first dog, he was a trials dog... Fast as a bullet and super high energy. He was over my head as a trainer. He was one of the best Upland dogs I have hunted behind tho, he was just a little "Redneck" at his job.
Piper my dads dog is a hunt test Conformation bred lab.. She is way more stable. And settles down.
Timber comes from the same breeder as Piper. Timber is my new pup, he is about 7 months old now. He is very easy to train. You show him what you want him to do and he does it.....
Then there is show,,,,, if you don't want a bird dog you can look at them.... some will disagree with me here but that is my opinion....

Disclaimer, im not a pro trainer. I am a guy who has a family that has always Upland hunted. my requirements from a dog is that when you walk down a road you know that there was no bird left un turned, that the birds were there but are gone and that when you hit them that they all come to your feet with no losses. one day when I get more time in my life I hope to go further with this but for now im a working guy with a young family and have lots to do...

OP take a long look at the advice here that lab guy stated, he is a pro. I am just reflecting things guys like him and Kas taught me...

Iron Glove
08-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Just because someone knows that a dog purchased from a particular kennel turned out fine means shit.

As you would expect, I disagree to a degree with this statement.
Whilst I agree that rigorous testing is important, it certainly doesn't show the whole picture.
Testing succeptibility to various health concerns is simply one step, albeit an extremely important one in choosing a dog, prospective dog owners also want to see a "finished product" not just a list of health tests.
My comments were based solely on viewing the "finished products" and those comments may be valuable to a prospective dog owner in choosing a breeder. The OP wanted "personal experiences" and that is what I, and others have offered up. I left the health testing discussion to people, such as you who have considerably more specific experience than I to comment on.
BTW, we submitted our 8 year old Toller male to more genetic testing last year, we believe in the testing process.

LolMeansLotsOfLabs
08-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Thanks everybody! Belmont Retrievers sounds like the one to go with! I have been emailing with Kevin a bit and so far so good and I'm hoping for a pup next spring! Thank you to you all for the responses! Much appreciated!

Foxton Gundogs
08-18-2017, 03:49 PM
What Lab Guy said!!

Kasomor
08-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Ya, what Lab Guy said....

PLUS.... hip SCREENING is just that, same with cardiac, Thyroid, elbows, patellas, eye health and a multitude of other things we screen our breeding stock for.

It is SCREENING to ensure the sire and dam (and hopefully all dogs in the pedigree) have had their hips x-rayed to ensure they aren't affected by Dysplasia.

It's not a genetic test which DE and DM are. Genetic testing a breeder can guarantee that your pup won't be affected by the disease. Carries of the disease are fine as they will never get the disease.....

Therefore, no breeding can guarantee a pup in any particular litter will have good hips. You can breed a dog that has an Excellent rating to another with an Excellent rating and still end up with dysplastic pup.

Reputable breeders will warranty their pups so if you should happen to end up with a pup that is dysplastic and it cant do the work it was bought for, there will be compensation of some kind or another. Read the fine print before you buy any pup.

LolMeansLotsOfLabs
08-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Ya, what Lab Guy said....

PLUS.... hip SCREENING is just that, same with cardiac, Thyroid, elbows, patellas, eye health and a multitude of other things we screen our breeding stock for.

It is SCREENING to ensure the sire and dam (and hopefully all dogs in the pedigree) have had their hips x-rayed to ensure they aren't affected by Dysplasia.

It's not a genetic test which DE and DM are. Genetic testing a breeder can guarantee that your pup won't be affected by the disease. Carries of the disease are fine as they will never get the disease.....

Therefore, no breeding can guarantee a pup in any particular litter will have good hips. You can breed a dog that has an Excellent rating to another with an Excellent rating and still end up with dysplastic pup.

Reputable breeders will warranty their pups so if you should happen to end up with a pup that is dysplastic and it cant do the work it was bought for, there will be compensation of some kind or another. Read the fine print before you buy any pup.

Yes I'm aware of all of this. Belmont has a "guarantee" of sorts and I know Whiterobin has the same. If a dog develops any of these health issues it can be returned and I'd receive a new pup. I've done my research and I hope to have a pup by early next year. Thank you!

Foxton Gundogs
08-28-2017, 10:43 AM
A guarantee means squat IF you have to put down a 3 year old family pet/hunting partner, you have come to love down due to a genetic problem. Any breeder that does not test, stay away from them no matter what BS the "breedr" trys to peddle you.

Kasomor
08-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes I'm aware of all of this. Belmont has a "guarantee" of sorts and I know Whiterobin has the same. If a dog develops any of these health issues it can be returned and I'd receive a new pup. I've done my research and I hope to have a pup by early next year. Thank you!

Ya, well, Its pretty rare that HD will interfer with a hunting dogs mobility.... I wouldn't want to return my dog after two + years and get a new puppy. If the dog is crippled, I'd want finical help for any needed surgery. I might get a new pup too.

I bought a golden pup and she developed juvenile cataracts at 9 months old. I contacted the breeder and could have retiurned the dog for a full refund. Kicker is the breeder would have put the dog down. That IS typical and it IS what many breeders are counting on when you ask to return and for a replacement pup.

So I kept the my golden, she could see her tennis ball for her whole life. She lived to be 15 +/

:cool::cool:

loopy
09-02-2017, 02:06 PM
100% what Lab guy and foxton have said....Testing AND solid guarantees are a must. We picked up a pup from EROMIT and it was their commitment to the health of their dogs as well as their lifetime approach to the pups they sell that won the day for us....They follow the life of your dog looking for updates and is are willing to take dogs back to find homes for because something has not worked out...first rate.